Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #1156
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
Finally got around to posting pics of last 2 months here in Phills http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post21161028

Hope all is going well there Cheers Toddy
Heya Toddy will check it out now, uploading pics and will do RR later on too.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #1157
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Antigua!

Just spent a month there, best happy hour is ocelot with 5Q mixed drinks and best food Cactus cafe and on fri-sun papes bbq. Second best BBQ ive ever had and im from Texas. Tell the owner Texas Travis sent ya. Miss it already O and the the volcano hike at Pacaya is pretty awesome
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #1158
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Hopkins ... A Big Day Out Snorkeling

We made the decision to be tourists again for a day, at $65 US for the day it was spendie but Ellen really wanted to go.

Setting off for a 40 minute boat ride before hitting the first reef the day was warming up very fast.

After snorkeling for 2 hours we stopped for a break on an island which was stunning.

Leaving lunch we did another reef, we were lucky enough to see some sharks, barracuda, stingrays and an assortment of glamorously coloured topical fish.

I really can’t talk it up any better other than to say of all the snorkeling I have done in Oz, New Caledonia, Hawaii, Fiji etc this kicks there arse hands down.

Just a few photos, not very good with our small camera but you get the picture.

Aquagirl hard at it

Bright coloured fish

Shark lurking under a rock

A Stingray making his way out of reach

The awful lunch spot

Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #1159
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Just spent a month there, best happy hour is ocelot with 5Q mixed drinks and best food Cactus cafe and on fri-sun papes bbq. Second best BBQ ive ever had and im from Texas. Tell the owner Texas Travis sent ya. Miss it already O and the the volcano hike at Pacaya is pretty awesome
Sweet great info thanks, got a coupla days here till we head to Xela.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #1160
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

The Birthday Party

One of our neighbours was having her birthday so it was decided that all the travellers would get together to celebrate to help her to get older.

Jabbar the owner of the Lebeha drummers hostel hard at it

The birthday girl

Bunch of drunken bums

Someone who looks like me being happy as after 1 or 10 rums

Most of the others did not get up early the next morning and were nursing a severe case of bottle flu
Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #1161
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Hopkins To Flores

Leaving Hopkins behind with good fun memories we had a cooler day at least to pack up and start with.

Part way along the Hummingbird Highway we past a R80 BMW and 250 Sherpa with big waves so we stopped and turn around to catch up to find it was Billy and Trish.

Two neighbours havin a great laugh ... see the spastic face

The 250 Sherpa had 180000 km on it and still going strong

Being Kiwis and Ozzies we had “a bloudy guod cutch up maite” on the side of the road.

Travels, motorcycle, federals, breakdowns, camping etc you get the gig, saying goodbye and sending them on their way we continued towards Guatemala border.

It was painless leaving Belize and partly painless getting into Guatemala UNTIL we had to get our TVIP.

The nice fat bastid behind the counter was very unhelpful and could not be bothered and clearly we were interrupting his day of doing nothing.

He wanted a photo copy of the stamp he just gave us???? and Ellen had to go back across the bridge to Belize to get a copy ...you have to be joking ... nup it was for real.

He was probably half way through our paperwork when a small buzzer went off beside him, he hoped up and walked off .... out of the building and down the street....gone.

Apparently it was lunchtime so he just dropped everything and left ... we were still standing their wondering WTF has happened, an hour later after the fat bastid had made himself fatter he returned and very unwantingly took 2 - 3 minutes to finish us up.... couldn’t believe it. !!!

The que by this time was monstrous .... I hope he had a good lunch.

Hmmm, I have to admit I had to walk outside and get a drink of water to clear my head and stop me from getting angry with someone who clearly just does not give a shit and stuffed it in our face.

On a brighter note all our paperwork was in place and we were away to Flores on nice paved roads for the most of it.

Arriving at Flores we went over to “the island” and found a good priced hotel with a courtyard that we could pull Maya apart in to fix an intermittent electrical fault.

Tea was bar b q chicken with salad and chip and was absolutely a great feed.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #1162
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Flores

Day 1

Arrival from the day before... aim...fire ... head easy as long as Maya did not die

At Twomotokiwis electrical engineers headquarters we removed the seat and tilted the headlight mask forward, the hotel dude was into it as well and he didn't even run off half way through, he was a great help .. good man he restored my faith in Guatemalans.

I checked everything I could with very little to see, a few dirty connectors but nothing that would stop her in her tracks, I also cleaned the off/on switch.

After pushing and pulling everything I could we put her back together as we wanted to see a bit of Flores rather than just fix the bike and leave.

We wandered of around the island and into town checking out the markets and all and came back to the island to relax and feed the locals which I did in style as they bit the shit outa me which is unusual.

We were however rewarded well with our first Guatemalan sunset ... luvin it !!!

Couple of drinks with some new neighbours, talked some shit and drunk some drinks.... gotta luv white rum

Day 2

We set off to make our way to Semuc Chepayne, we made it 6.6 km out of town with Maya coughing and farting so we tuned back to Flores and back to the hotel ... I was not happy.

Being early in the day I decided to rip her right down tank and all so I removed the seat, tank, headlight mask, speedo, air filter, ECU and all ... I was quite surprised how small she was after removing all the clothing.

On inspection of the PO’s wiring mayhem I discovered a wire hanging out, I could not see they day prior as it was on the opposite side and out of view.

Scattered

I traced it back to the off/on circuit and manually pushed it in and out to try it and see what is did and bingo that was the fault.

Repairing that we had to put her all back together which was a mission in itself.

Fixed

Jose was kind enough to knock up some lunch while I was fixing Maya, onya mate really appreciated it.

Heading off this time on a test ride we took her 20 km away to El Rement a swimming place to cool off, on the way back everything went well which was great and I was pretty sick of problems with this bike.

Unfortunately someone decided our orange one way fuel cap on the rear tank was shiny and they wanted it .... and they got it..... petty theif is rampent.

For tea we bought tortillas, some cheese, beef and guacamole and cooked it coupled with some Stollies again.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #1163
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Flores To Semuc Champey

Starting with the leftover tortillas we had these for breakfast as well as finishing off our watermelon....luckily we had a big breaky as this set us up for a big day.

With Maya running nicely again this was a huge relief and allowed to to get to destination albeit one day later than planned.

Along the way we had to take a barge to get across the river.

Nothing to stop Maya diving off the side never to be seen again

The rest of the ride was uneventful until we reached the end of the tar seal then it turned into a rocky based road which was harsh but great fun taking us through many small villages.

It was a neat road

Lunch was later than usual and welcomed when we stopped, the temperature hitting 38 degs and very humid so we were dripping like a candle in the sun.

Friendly people everywhere along the way

Arriving at Lanquin it was stinking hot, Ellen walked off to find the truck going in, they had extra space as well so we unloaded the top case and clothes bags to make the last 10 km assault a bit easier for me, turns out the road was pretty similar to what we had come in on anyway.

Even a big welcoming Andy on the wall

Off to Semuc Champey I enjoyed a ride sans Ellen and top luggage which transforms the bike in the tighter stuff.

Forget Redbull ... getting our here and enjoying the beautiful Guatemalan scenery on a motorcycle gives you BIGGER wings!!!

Even some muddy water to make it look authentic

The road consisted of soft, hard, rocky, muddy, loose, etc so a real mixed bag, sometime requiring a little negociation around front tire stealing rocks

Semuc Champey is an outstanding place and Utopia Lodge a ADV must, you wonna go well here it is .....no excuse now!!

Time to settle in and see what tomorrow brings.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 04:14 PM
Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #1164
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Semuc Champey For The Day

A 40 minute walk to the National park from our accom at Utopia Lodge and we were at the gates and a quick munch on a watermelon that a girl was selling, need to rehydrate in the heat.

$50 Q each which is about $6.50 US and we were off, up to the mirador first to check out the views that are nothing short of spectacular.

It was quite a grunt to get to the top coupled with 35 deg heat and humidity to match we were drenched by the time we reached the top.

Stairs .. lots of stairs

The view, no point in talking about it, see for yourself.

Heading back down to the pools we started at the top and wafted our way down and we met some guys in Flores and they were there too so we caught up with giggle and chatter.

Only a few photos, if you want to see the rest click on any pic and it will take you to our album ... it IS worth it.

The colours here are simply stunning

The pools, hot day, great company and stunning scenery added up to what can only be described as perfect.

If words really could describe it I am struggling to say it

We spent the day there and left when the sun went home, heading back on our 40 minute return walk rewarded with cold showers back at the lodge as we were dripping wet again from heat on our return.

Time for my hair cut again as it will be only 9 months or so and it would be in my eyes so had to deal to that swiftly.

Chat and drink with Dan & Elaine who were heading to Cuba so we showed them some photos and gave them so fresh information which they were please about.

This is Utopia Lodge ... sod of a place

The view from the deck

John the Boss at the bar, this dude rocks and adds a new meaning to customer service which was excellent, all his staff follow the same standards which quite simply cannot be faulted ... John .... we will back mate !!!!

The deck and eating area

This is their website, go check it out.

http://www.utopiaecohotel.com/index.html

Bed time again to rest the weary body from playing all day ... it’s just hard work.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #1165
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Page shortening post
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #1166
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Page shortening post again
Old 04-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #1167
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Semuc Champey To El Chol

Getting going at around 9.00am we hit the dirt road back to the main highway, the rest of the road was clean, neat and good condition so quite different form our “shortcuts” which we confirm ARE the longest distance between two points.

The temperature was hitting 40 degrees and we were following a slow car up the long winding hill .... both fans blazing away to help Maya keep her cool but nearly at the summit she started to vapour lock and flood with our light throttle and heat buildup despite still having two bars left on the temperature gauge.

She was trying to run on 2 half cylinders so I cracked her open to get some air in there which worked well, she sputtered for about another 300 metres then cleared her throat and by that time we had crested the pass and were heading down so less load and things were back to normal.

Rather than sitting behind the slowjoe I should have passed them and gone which may have prevented that but either way it was fookin hot.

We reached the end of the tarseal at Rabinal at 2.00pm, we tried to find a hotel so the local police took us there.

The lady saw the bike (chiching$$) and that we looked a bit stuffed (chiching$$) so she hiked the price and told us with a straight face what we were to pay, we had her receipt book right in front of us which clearly said quite differently from previous customers charges.

Ready to take a tuck from her I inspected the room, came back put the keys on the counter as said no gracias (being polite) and we carried on.

I was prepared to by ripped a little if the room was ok but it was 40 degrees C and it had no air conditioning and NO ceiling fan (fan which is standard here) so the angry dutchman came out (so did the angry chinese) .... the lady thought she had it in the bag so greed left her with an empty room, ironically no-one else was there and her previous customer date was a wee way back so all the signs were not ideal.

Given it was only 2.00pm we had time up our sleeve so we carried on with the view of camping out somewhere high to get cooler air.

The road was totally dirt and pretty gnarly in places and had obviously had big rains in there and with cattle etc to look out for.

Stopped for a quick Pepsi to get some sugar boost

The road was beautiful and tree clad in places

And open in others

We stopped beside a dry rocky waterfall for a photo and for the first time on the trip in total from Alaska I dropped the bike .... the ground was further away from me and being tired I just couldn’t hold her up.

We both dropped to the ground in a pile of dust right beside a big hole which crumbled away as we stood up!!!...it was about 10 metres down before the bottom

Fark ... that was was close, no damage other than to my pride so we picked up Maya started her up and carried on.

Was not even 5 minutes later we were stopped with road works, only a 10 minute stop but is was SO hot and I could not put the stand down on Maya due to the camber on the road so I had to sit on her and suck the heat .... the Keep Toasting Me 950 Sauna Eh

Soon on our way we rolled into El Chol a little town and in the middle of nowhere (well somewhere anyway) and spotted HOTEL.

We rocked up and Ellen checked it out, respectable price and respectable room ... that is more like it.

After showering off and turning into humans we walked around town, people starring at me ... not many whitefoos come here me thinks, bought some tea which was Chicken and Chips and Tacos, total $27 Quizales which is about $3.50 for the two of us so after tea we blew the budget on three big mangos and scoffed them back out our room ... yummo!!! ... that was another $10 quitzales so $1.30 US for 3, if we can get em in New Zealand we pay about $3 - $4 each!!

Cool buses in this region, one of many that we saw

No Wifi here again so time to right all this up.

Off to Antigua tomorrow, 75 km of dirt roads with a new front tire waiting at the other end WOH HOH.

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 06:04 PM
Old 04-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #1168
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Andi
You are right ,words can not decribe Semuc Champey! I did not stay at the Utopia Lodge but next time I will!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #1169
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,390
What did I miss?...haven't been here since the chocolate, been very busy with the big chainsaw in KTM (or close) livery. Looked good the choco and I liked the "grinder"....should have showed you my Vitamix powered drill bit sharpener.

PO's wiring....glad you got it. That's spaghetti wiring to me.....I mentioned that to the owner of that GS that's in my shop, he said "Tagliatelles"....I said overcooked anyway...Got to fix that amongst other things.

Gotta go back to the big orange thing....Seeya!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #1170
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Cool buses in this region, one of many that we saw

Just wait until Panama. They've got the coolest buses for sure.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote