Old 05-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #1261
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Congrats on the one year milestone

Loving the pictures as always.
Thanks man, greatly appreciated .... lots more to come!!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #1262
hondav2
Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer: 1,353
Wicked Congratulations

Good one guys , how many more years will the budget allow you to travel. CJ arrives here in 2 weeks so will be good catching up with him . we done a skype the other day , hes living in his best bus at Juneau , the motorbike and the firewood are inside it. Chicky is going home for 3 weeks to vote ( you get paid by the candidates to vote for them here ) and local Fiesta . CJ and me will hire bikes and go bird watching .
Abbey Autos Wasilla Alaska
Photos www.toddy.smugmug.com
Starting smugmug gallery use this for discount yPcvMhjigUORk
2001 DR650 110,000 km
2003 Heritage Classic
2004 CBR1000RR
2007 KTM950R Super Enduro
2007 1200GS
2008 Hypermotard S
hondav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1263
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondav2 View Post
Good one guys , how many more years will the budget allow you to travel. CJ arrives here in 2 weeks so will be good catching up with him . we done a skype the other day , hes living in his best bus at Juneau , the motorbike and the firewood are inside it. Chicky is going home for 3 weeks to vote ( you get paid by the candidates to vote for them here ) and local Fiesta . CJ and me will hire bikes and go bird watching .
Heya mate .... budget .....depends how much we spend

At least till Ushuaia anyway and back up to see what we have missed.

Say gidday to CJ, he pinged us an e the other day.

Have fun ....bird watching
Old 05-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #1264
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quetzulnetango Semama Tres

Xela Week Three

Well another torturous week of espanol full on training and learning, head saw everyday so progress is good.

This week Ellen and I did half time change sides with our teachers, Ellens original teacher somewhat more fun than mine.

I learnt that in spanish if someone says “es muy caliente” it is very hot, if you say “yo estoy muy caliente” (I am hot) it means “I am hot for you and want sex”

Do I seriously need to explain on a hot day my wee stuff-up .... no I didn’t think so, lets just say gramma was not my strong point when I was younger and whaddaya know it still isn’t ... but I am learning, I should be out of jail next week.

Wednesday night we were treated to a lightning storm, we were about 15 minutes late back to the casa to catch the storm on top of Xela but it did provide some neat backdrops again the mountains.

Muy bonito (very beautiful)

Just stunning watching the anger and listening to it

What a treat

Got the mid week study blues and had to take a pic cos this is just wrong, Maya lookin lonely and me wanting to go for a ride rather than study so a severe warning to other travellers of these inherent dangers.

So with a mostly uneventful week at school we were looking forward to Friday for two reasons, firstly it is Friday and our working week finishes, secondly and more importantly it was out 1 year celebration on the road so with a potluck dinner at school planned it was game on.

This is the menu board and I will explain one word which essentially you can read the entire board, each of us had to bring something and note it so we didn't end up with 20kgs of tacos with no filling, the word you need to know is Frito .. this means fried, the menu was recklessly attacked by an american .... the rest is up to you ... do read it all.

Armed with a box of cheap (frito) wine, a (frito) chocolate caked lovingly baked by visa and some home made (Frito) guacamole we went to the party with our school amigos.

365 days since we evicted ourselves from New Zealand and here we are back at school.

The night was an early finish (11pm) for us given Ellen had a 5.00am start and I was heading away for a ride.

Good night all, thanks to all who have followed us and supported us through thick and thin.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #1265
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quetzulnetango Fin De Semama Tres

Xela, The Weekend No Three

Sabado (Saturday).... no leisurely start today, things to do, people to meet, places to go, Ellen hopped up at 5.00 am for her hiking trip up Tajumulco Volcano the highest in Central America, breaky as usual for me though.

Meeting up with Juan (what car?? from ADV) we were also making our assault up the mighty volcano but ours was at a gentlemanly hour of 9.00am.

Leaving Xela was easy with local knowledge and we were soon up to 3000 metres looking down on the world, the road conditions pretty good with the usual Guatemalan stuntmen on the road and the weather playing perfectly into our hands.

They paint the big rocks purple with the curbing painted purple and white, something we had not seen before, purple and orange go well together .

Turning off at San Sabastian we started our assault on a cobbled road that soon turned into dirt and rock, wet in places and rolly rocks wanting to steal our front wheels we had to keep our mind on the job.

Juan was obviously thinking of hot chics or something as his bike decided it was time for a break and lay down, Maya on the other hand was scared of getting her hands dirty and stayed upright.

We rode a few km up to a turning point and stopped there, the track was getting steeper and wetter and with the fog rolling in we were not going to see anything and it was almost 2.00pm by then anyway so we turned back, also the bit we are allowed to ride on finishes at the red hilux just above my right mirror ...you will have to look hard.

Views all round when the mist cleared momentarily

The two amigos

Looking back down the hill with the fog beneath us.

Juan on an easier section on the way down

The paved section only 1 km from the road

Given the time we stopped for lunch in a place call Los Vegas ....it was kinda the same as were were on the main drag.... not a bad view

From there taking the coastal way home we ventured off into the unknown, although we didn’t get lost we had a very, VERY good look around with Mrs.Garmin not being as local as we wanted her to be.

Riding through some stunning back road territory we hit some mainish roads and swapped bikes so I rode the 990 Adventure and Juan rode the 950 SE, this was a great comparo back to back with the SE engine being a lot smoother in the engine..... hopefully not from low compression!!!

The SE certainly feels like a bigarse trail bike compared to the Adventure with the Adventure feeling a lot more roady like, interesting the seating position with really sitting into the SE and sitting on the Adventure, certainly with the bar risers on the SE it makes life easier standing offroad.

We hit the inland road back towards Xela bordering dark then hit the fog in the dark .... this slowed progress a bit, for the first time I got to really appreciate the power of the Rigid Industries lighting which is outstanding in a very black night that just stole the OEM headlight so very grateful for these, also for nasty Guatemalans who didn’t wonna dip their lights they had the floodlights poked in their face ....that made em dip.

We eventually hit town again and I rocked in the door at 7.45 pm with a grin and a half like this guy -> , slightly completely stuffed.

Huge thanks to Juan for local knowledge and just having a dudes day out riding.

Domingo (Sunday), Tarea (homework) for most of the day until Ellen got home at 2.30 pm then off to the cafe to post this stuff.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #1266
SkycamNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post

'Do these glasses make me look like a study nurd?' Damn right!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #1267
SkycamNZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
The Boys day out.

Great account of some time away with a mate getting stuck into some more serious motorcycling Andi. Very cool to get a back-to-back comparo of the two bikes.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #1268
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkycamNZ View Post
'Do these glasses make me look like a study nurd?' Damn right!
... I was wanting to go with the intelligent line actually .... now I gotta learn to swear in Spanish
Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #1269
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkycamNZ View Post
Great account of some time away with a mate getting stuck into some more serious motorcycling Andi. Very cool to get a back-to-back comparo of the two bikes.
Yeap one thing with travelling and being together for 24/7 you need time away to play and yesterday was a one of more to come.

I am still grinning and I know Juan really enjoyed the ride and bike swap.

Guatemala has some outstanding riding and the ability to pile off into the styx is right there and everywhere, you don't have to search for adventure here as it finds you easy enough.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #1270
Spingse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hi Andi and Ellen
Were glad to see you still have the shiny side up :-) We still consider your visit in Playa as one of the more memorable experiences we had in Mexico.

Just to be an arse i thought i would let Andi know what landed in my mailbox the other day:

"Confirmation on reservation":

IS is an abbreviation for Iceland if you are wondering...

Way to little time there, and I am going with a friend who rides a Yamaha FZS, so i will save the interior until next year, I expect Andi to join, then. ;-)

Cheers and "recurrido seguro" from Denmark

Martin and family

Spingse screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 06:53 AM
Spingse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #1271
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
All the best for year two - from another jealous kiwi...
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #1272
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,910
Hi Kiwi,

Just decided to catch up on your RR as I am having a lazy start to the day. Looks like you and Ellen are having a blast. I am beginning to wonder if I have gone in the right direction. Still snow everywhere up here - missed out on a few roads I wanted to do because of it.

The pictures Ellen has been taking are just fab.

Cheers,

Craig

Oh and Mackie is right about the bum photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #1273
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushav8r View Post
I just read through your ride report with my friend from Chengdu. She is now terrified to travel with me on a bike! You have had so much adventure, and seen so much of natures beauty. I think she may overcome her fear...
Tell her not to be afraid but confront it head on!!

We only had an unfortunate run of events for a while and the rest is truly amazing and worth every bit.

Sorry to hear of your heritage too (j/k)

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 09:44 AM
Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #1274
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spingse View Post
Hi Andi and Ellen
Were glad to see you still have the shiny side up :-) We still consider your visit in Playa as one of the more memorable experiences we had in Mexico.

Just to be an arse i thought i would let Andi know what landed in my mailbox the other day:

"Confirmation on reservation":

IS is an abbreviation for Iceland if you are wondering...

Way to little time there, and I am going with a friend who rides a Yamaha FZS, so i will save the interior until next year, I expect Andi to join, then. ;-)

Cheers and "recurrido seguro" from Denmark

Martin and family
Heya Martin great to hear from you mate, yeah we really enjoyed catching up op, was great fun.

Just for the record you are a bastid .... someone on this side of the computer is green.

Mate I hope you guys have the time of your life as I know you will, outstanding and looking forward to the RR ... no pressure

Hmmmm ..... interior ..... that would mean riding from Africa up
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #1275
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLED View Post
All the best for year two - from another jealous kiwi...
Cheers mate, really love the homeland comments.