Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 160
R75/5 Magneto Ignition and Charging Upgrade Conversion. AWESOME!!!

Hi folks. A friend recently came to me with running problems on his 75/5 and after discussing and researching the options we elected to go with the Powerdynamo magneto ignition & charging system. Besides the age and reliability concerns of running 40 year old electrics, the other problem with the old system was that the cam shaft nose was badly worn from the advance unit having been over tightened over the years. That mean't stripping down much of the motor & removing the gearbox to replace the cam shaft. The owner was keen to avoid that hassle when the rest of engine mechanics on the bike seemed to be O.K. A fair call I thought.

The owner was however enthusiastic about upgrading the electrics with something that would be compatible with the old /5 systems and not create potential issues with reported risk of damage to the kick start mechanism, as has been suggested with most other electronic ignition units into the early BM points triggered ignition systems. Enter the Powerdynamo system. To say that we were quietly expecting some improvement was an understatement. Neither of us was quite prepared for how good it was going to be.

I can only say that the Powerdynamo system is awesome and it has transformed the /5's performance. If you are going to have one of these fitted to your /5 and want to put the rectifier/regulator in the place where the diode board was then the wiring loom in the kit will need to be shortened and modified slightly to suit. In the interests of maintaining a more original appearance I was keen to keep the rectifier/ regulator out of sight and so I checked with the manufacturer to make sure they supported this placement. (the instructions read that they do, but I wanted to make sure for warranty purposes). With the blessings from Powerdynamo I proceeded with the upgrade. The longer loom is an allowance for those wishing to place the unit further back in the frame. The other concern I had with a placement of the rectifier closer to the coil was the potential for electrical interference. As this bike is still a daily 'short hop' commuter I was happy to keep it as original as possible and that meant keeping the rectifyer out of sight. If the bike was being used for competition, or long haul touring I may have opted to put the rectifier/ regulator on the frame and in the air flow to help it dissipate heat. Your call.

Please note that the Powerdynamo system is NOT compatible with electronic tacho's. (Pity because I'd like to be able to offer this unit to owners of later models as well). While the ignition and charging system will still work fine if you fit this unit to later models the electronic tacho will not function. Cable tacho /6 models and earlier are fine.

Regards degree of fitment difficulty, this conversion is reasonably straight forward for those who know their stuff and a couple of special tools are required. For instance once you fit the magneto rotor you will need a dedicated puller (available ex Powerdynamo) to remove it again as the standard BM rotor puller bolt no longer does the task. I'd suggest therefore that if you are not 100% confident that the system be fitted by a qualified repairer. An awesome performance outcome for and old /5 soldier.

Here is a link to a short video that I made showing to unit and its operation. Cheers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwrWYAKXM68

patanga screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 05:18 AM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,063
Start this in the airheads forum next time, k?

Moved it to Airheads.

Thanks and thanks for the report!

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by patanga View Post
H
Please note that the Powerdynamo system is NOT compatible with electronic tacho's. (Pity because I'd like to be able to offer this unit to owners of later models as well).

Regards degree of fitment difficulty, this conversion is reasonably straight forward for those who know their stuff and a couple of special tools are required. For instance once you fit the magneto rotor you will need a dedicated puller (available ex Powerdynamo) to remove it again as the standard BM rotor puller bolt no longer does the task. I'd suggest therefore that if you are not 100% confident that the system be fitted by a qualified repairer. An awesome performance outcome for and old /5 soldier.

Here is a link to a short video that I made showing to unit and its operation. Cheers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwrWYAKXM68

Does the lack of info about where to purchase said system and anything else about it's origins indicate that you are marketing these yourself?

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,078
Bing bing bing... Spidey alarm going off.

It's a magneto-dynamo conversion for 480 Eur (630$US). 190Watt output. Google "powerdynamo" for more info...

FWIW.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 232
powerdynamo

If this is a mag-dyno, does it eliminate the need for a battery?
isdt BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Powerdynamo info

Hi.. The company I bought the unit from is called Powerdynamo in Germany. You will find them online at http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/sitemap.htm. Their website is not the easiest to navigate but with some patience you'll get there. I only buy these in for local customers here in Australia who want me to supply & fit.

Regards the battery question; the Powerdynamo unit fitted is their combined ignition and charging system in one, for bikes running full systems (lights etc) so the battery is still required. Should the battery ever fail though the ignition can still be used by simply disconnecting one of the relay wires. If you do go ahead and buy one of these units be sure to measure the alternator stator housing recess (i.e the I.D. of the mounting face in the timing chest) as BMW made two different sizes in the era (105mm & 107mm). Powerdynamo has the correct size for each, but you need to let them know which one you require. Be aware also that there are two systems available. One is just the charging system and the other is the complete charging and ignition system. I am referring to the complete system (item number 70 67 999 00).

Hope this answers everything for you. Cheers & good luck.

patanga screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 02:41 PM
Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Does the lack of info about where to purchase said system and anything else about it's origins indicate that you are marketing these yourself?
I knew that by the time I read the second sentence, this is SPAM in a way. Look at his number of posts.....at least that is what I am guessing.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,010
The guy lives and works in Australia. The units are built in Germany by a German company.

Some of you guys wouldn't trust your Mother.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
The guy lives and works in Australia. The units are built in Germany by a German company.

Well, you can live anywhere these days and rep a company anywhere else. I like the idea of a mag and such for an Airhead though.....So if I get this straight, this thing does both Ignition duty, AND is a 180amp generator or Alternator?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,010
That does sound like what it is. Is this the first time we have had a Magneto ignition available?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Joel Rapose seems to be a US importer for these for the /2 type engine

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,284
Quote:
Is this the first time we have had a Magneto ignition available?
This same one has been available for quite a while in europe, but just haven't made it over here for whatever reason. HPN has used them on some of their race bikes going back to the 80s, not sure what brand though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:

Mostly because my mother is always trying to sell me some aftermarket charging system or other.
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,284
Didn't stagehand use one of these on the Fossa? It was either him or the other guy working on a ISDT style airhead.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #15
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Remarkable really?

sniperX... I have no interest in this unit other than to share some details about an airheads fix that exceeded any of our expectations. Will I be recommending it to others locally?,.. If the symptoms and application are the same, you bet I will. Isn't that what these forums are about anyway?..... Am I their agent?... No I am not. Can you buy one from me when you are in New Mexico?... No you can't. I don't stock them and am not interested in selling abroad. Why would I anyway? and risk having to deal with cynics like you. I have installed one and am excited enough to share the good news.Talk about shooting the messenger. Cheers people.

patanga screwed with this post 05-21-2012 at 02:53 PM