Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #16
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Some of you guys wouldn't trust your Mother.
How do you know I had a mother?

What a warm welcome this guy had.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #17
ontic

Oddometer: 1,067
Thanks a lot for the post and video Patanga, I have been considering one of these units for my G/S, which they also make and sell for dual-plugged airheads (as I understand it, thanks to a Mr Rooney's request for them to develop such). I've heard really good things about the powerdynamo set up. Great strong spark and starting, really simple system, lightweight and reliable. And yes, you can run without a battery as I understand it. The only concern for me is if I can deal with the limited output. I think it should suffice as I don't want to run too many power-hungry extras anyway. In short I am leaning towards going this way (twin plug version).
One of the more surprising effects of a powerdynamo swap that I have been told first-hand of is of a rather significant reduction in fuel consumption. I'll leave it to someone more competent to try to explain (or critique) it. This was 'tested' in a back to back multi-thousand KM interstate run with no other changes made- ran there on stock system and then ran the way back on a powerdynamo. Significant difference. Very reliable source. Take it or leave it.

And don't worry about the likes of sniperX. Check HIS post count (some peoples 'spidy sense' tingles at low-post-count members, mine more commonly itches at the opposite end of the post-count spectrum)
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #18
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,086
Reduced output

Ontic, while everything else (simplicity included) seemed favorable, an output of less than stock(iirc) w/ a price tag near a MotorradElektrik unit made me wonder.

I don't use electronic goodies myself, so perhaps it's fine. The big plus, as I see it, would be the ability to run sans battery!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
rusty44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Great Video.

Thanks for posting it!!!!!!!!!.....Al
rusty44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I hope 110 watts is net after the ignition system has taken its share.

Having owned both a Guzzi and a /7 airhead i can witness that the Bosch charging system is a weak link.

Between the two bikes, 3 rotors burned out. Not that the modern total-loss permanent magnet systems are that much better, just look at the numbers of stators an R/R's that burn out on the BMW F-series and Triumphs.

What's Guzzi using these days?
ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDK View Post
I hope 110 watts is net after the ignition system has taken its share.
My impression is this is two units really. The Magneto runs the ignition so what ever the Alternator puts out none of it is used for spark. That's at least what my impression is of "Magneto". And I think the Alt was listed a 180 Watts? This should be a step up for most. Might compare to the aftermarket systems that lately people have been using so they could run extra farkles. Somebody else will have to do the math, I have a cold.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
Leadnuts
do-over...

Oddometer: 116
vitamin D

I have a 72' 75/5 as well... and was wondering what a conversion like this costs? It mentions on the site it is possible to run w/o a battery, If I only have a headlamp, and a LED tail/brake lamp can I go without a battery? Does anyone do it themselves? I don't know very much about electics.
Leadnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #23
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
How is 180 watts a "step up"?
180 is the stock output on a /5, anemic at best.
280 is standard on the later bikes.
?????? where's the logic?
i Have never been unhappy with my 240 watt aternator or my 280watt either.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
How is 180 watts a "step up"?
180 is the stock output on a /5, anemic at best.
280 is standard on the later bikes.
?????? where's the logic?
i Have never been unhappy with my 240 watt aternator or my 280watt either.
If the Magneto runs the ignition then the 180 watts is for everything else. That would be more elec than a system that starts with 180 watts but has to run the ignition. I do think that is logical.

I'm beginning to think this system is not what I think of as a Magneto. Don't Magnetoes have their own coils?

I haven't looked at the web site yet. Think I'll try to figure out if this is a Magneto, indeed.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 05-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Well I did go look at the web site. It does not look like two separate systems. The ignition is a Hall sensor with an electronic advance. The Alt provides the spark so I guess you do have to subtract the ignition from the 180 watts. It's really a modern no points ignition and a replacement Alternator. Might be a better Alternator but the same wattage. Looks like no gain.

I had an after market modern ignition on my /6 a couple years ago. Forget which one, one of the ones you can still buy. I did not like the flimsiness of that system. This new thing from Germany does look more robust.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
grumpyoldbstrd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
G'day Patanga,
Thanks for posting. The unit looks very promising. One question (& only if you had a chance to check): What was the weight difference between the original rotor & the new unit? I'm thinking about the rotating mass on the end of the crank, & wondering if it'll have any impact on the dynamic balance & the possible extra load on the outrigger bearing.
Cheers,
GOB
Old 05-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 161
Time to press the reset button

As often happens with forums things seem to go in all different directions (maybe not a bad thing as it does get people thinking) Just for the record though, I am going to revisit the logic behind the choice to go for the Powerdynamo unit.

1) Cam shaft tip (advance weights unit mount) was wrecked from advance unit having been overtightened too many times.
2) Fix for that meant gearbox, rocker gear, front cover, timing chain/gears out & then replace cam shaft. Big job!!!.
3) All electrics incl ignition were 40 years old and really showing their age. Another significant repair bill.
4) Researched options... Powerdynamo came up best suited. Plus 1kg weight saving. Major strip down not required.
5) The possibility of overcoming two issues with a single repair. Easy decision.

That the outcome exceeded all of our expectations is the reason for sharing the news.

That said and in response to several other comments; If the cam shaft nose had been ok, then for cost reasons we would have persevered with the points. May have installed a points amplifier, but that would have been about the extent of it. Still would have had concerns about the age of the systems though.

For those concerned about charging output, you need to consider your bikes application rather than all the 'hoo haa' about bigger being better. Unless you are running a truck load of electrics, then the standard BMW and or Powerdynamo charging output is going to be more than you will ever need.
Best regards to all.

patanga screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 06:06 PM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #28
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 161
Rotor weight question

Hi 'grumpyoldbstrd'. I didn't weigh the individual components, just the total comparison weight. The powerdynamo system weighs 1kg less. Most of that would have come from the removal of the heavy old coils, obsolete o.e. charging wiring, regulator & advance weight unit. I did do a rough hand held comparison between the two rotors and as I recall they were fairly similar. I doubt that the outrigger bearing would be a concern as they are of good size and with the similarity in rotor weights it should all be about even. An interesting comparison would be if some time someone had the two rotors balance tested against each other. If the end result proof is anything to go by then all I can say is that this /5 runs much smoother and more crisply after the conversion. If in doubt you could email the manufacturer and ask them their rotor weight and compare against your own. Good luck & cheers.

patanga screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 01:16 AM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #29
grumpyoldbstrd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Patanga,
Thanks for the reply. I'll check the weights with the supplier.
GOB
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #30
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,301
This is a 190W, one-phase permanent magnet alternator, the magneto is switched electronically and has an electronic spark advance. External parts include a voltage regulator, ignition control unit, diode box and ignition coil. Components sourced from a Czech company, units assembled in Germany.

All in all, this seems to be a giant step backwards.