Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
All in all, this seems to be a giant step backwards.
The only upside I see is the crank fired ignition. The rest doesn't seem very worthwhile. Especially at that price. These systems seem much more popular as replacements on 70s two strokes.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #32
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
This is a 190W, one-phase permanent magnet alternator, the magneto is switched electronically and has an electronic spark advance. External parts include a voltage regulator, ignition control unit, diode box and ignition coil. Components sourced from a Czech company, units assembled in Germany.

All in all, this seems to be a giant step backwards.
Thanks Bill for so eloquently putting into words what I have been thinking.!

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #33
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 161
Maybe some are forgetting why the conversion was done in the first place.

As mentioned in my bullet point summary a couple of posts ago; It depends on the application and the nature of the repair. In the case of this 75/5 and its faults, the conversion proved to be a very cost effective and efficient way to go. In the case of the comment re it being "a step backwards"... Cdi compared to points and 40 y.o. charging systems? Yeah right!.... That was priceless.... Regards the system cost comment; That's also debatable. I doubt there's much else out there that will upgrade both ignition and charging systems in one dedicated unit for any less. I guess time will tell if the charging system isn't up to the task (Read 14.2V at the battery). Will let you know if that proves not to be the case. Bottom line: Life isn't always about bigger better, when that's not what's required. The sooner some learn to appreciate the word "APPLICATION", the sooner 'best bang for the buck' will have meaning. So far so good, is all I can say.

Sure one could tinker around with separate systems and possibly get a similar outcome, but based on the reported lack of compatibility of other ignition systems and the extra labour cost required to fit two separate systems and warranties, the choice, in this case, was a bit of a no brainer. Anyway, people will make up their own minds. Those who are prepared to give it a go, can judge the performance improvements (or not) for themselves...... For the doubters, that's fine too. Although they might want to keep their minds open, just in case they ever get the opportunity to experience a /5 /6 that has had the conversion done. I have. Just putting it out there is all. Cheers folks:)

patanga screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 05:59 AM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #34
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,299
Most old British bikes managed reasonably well with a 90 watt dynamo or a 120 watt permanent magnet alternator.

And a Hall sensor with electronic advance is a step up from anything BMW ever fitted to an airhead, and a mile ahead of a points set up.

As I recall it one of the Seppo electronic guru's recently launched a simplified Hall effect bean can and electronic advance sytem, and I don't recall anyone knocking that.
Or knocking the stupidly expensive permanent magnet high power alternators which they use to power the compressor for their inflatable cod piece and the heated bidet, or whatever it is they fit to their wankmobiles.

I just wish some of you guys would read the original(and subsequent) posts) and stick to addressing that instead of spouting a load if ignorant and irrelevant nonsense.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #35
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Yep, a 650 Bonnie ignition seems a good idea for me, but why no one had tried this ?
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #36
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
I just wish some of you guys would read the original(and subsequent) posts) and stick to addressing that..
Yep, just like the EZclutch pull thread this one's loaded with pages of speculation. How about you dissenters finding someone who has used this unit and HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE opposed to filling this thread with wild ass guesses?
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Cadyrats, read the posts, no one has suggested fitting points ignition, which is what the Bonnie had - an alternator charges the battery, it isn't a ignition system.

And FWIW, the problems with the Brit bike points systems were related to premature wear in the low quality components, not with any fundamental problem with the methodology.

And, on the B44, vibration induced retard as the bob weights bounced.

If you take time to have a close look at pictures of the contemporary factory racers you will see a connection point on the handlebars which enables the ignition to be controlled by what was, in England at least, the most powerful piece of computing equipment then available.

It looks remarkable similar to a manual advance and retard lever
Old 05-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #38
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Update

Latest update. I asked the owner to come back in after a week so I could recheck everything and see how it has all settled in. I possibly made the error of asking how it was going as from that moment on he wasn't able to wipe the grin from his face. Funny as that was it's good to have that kind of response occasionally. Customers feedback: Better starting, more power and improved fuel consumption. Another advantage occurred to me was that this system takes its ignition triggering directly from the crankshaft and not from the camshaft which translates to there being absolutely no issues in terms of lash and lag from cam chain and sprocket wear either. Add to this the slop from forty year old mechanical advance units and it's any wonder it's no easy feat to get a steady timing fix on the strobe light with the old gear. The timing mark is now rock steady which is a major improvement.

patanga screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 09:38 PM
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #39
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,196
We have this system on the R51/3. Love it! Rock-solid. We run that bike with no battery.

Would I put it on the /5? If the cam nose was trashed and I didn't want to replace the cam, and I had some kind of alternator issue, yeah I might. Enduralast plus Enduraspark would be another option; more wattage but more money, too. For the use that bike sees, 180W works for me.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #40
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff View Post
Cadyrats, read the posts, no one has suggested fitting points ignition, which is what the Bonnie had - an alternator charges the battery, it isn't a ignition system.
Oops you're right I was thinking about something like a Motoplat that you find on Husky 2 and 4 stroke
Same looking as the Triumph alternator.

I was loving the Yamaha XT500 without any batterie ! Simple, no problem at all.
Many vintage off road bikes have this setup.
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #41
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

The Lucas points system which dispensed with the battery was called 'Energy transfer" and it incorporated a large capacitor in lieu of the battery.

Never much of a success on the road bikes, but the works motocrossers seemed to go OK with it.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #42
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,784
AW's got a good memory- I do have this system on a project bike that has yet to see the light of day. I got it for the brainless simplicity and no need for a battery. Wont need much in the way of auxiliary loads on that thing, and no battery is nice.

I do know that a bunch of R90 people (anecdotal evidence from when I bought the thing) that ran them with no problems whatsoever.

I also know that Mr. Paul Rooney put a custom PowerDynamo on his Safari bike. It has been running well, I'm curious to see it myself. Not totally positive its a pure magneto system, though, just commenting on PD's ability to make gear.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #43
patanga OP
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Magneto No

The system was originally described to me as a magneto ignition (a referral, not the manufacturer) but after seeing it in the flesh and some discussion it is a CDI system.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #44
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by patanga View Post
The system was originally described to me as a magneto ignition (a referral, not the manufacturer) but after seeing it in the flesh and some discussion it is a CDI system.
So it's not a magneto ignition. It's an electronic ignition in combination with a replacement alternator (PM, one phase).

The reason folks were suspicious is that you were posting glowing reports of this system based on a sample of one unit. And it is additionally curious that you bought it direct from the manufacturer in Germany instead of going through your local AUS distributor, Paul Rooney. Based on subsequent comments in this thread, it may well be a good system. The problem was lack of cred.

Just sayin'...
Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #45
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Didn't magneto's have capacitors in them?I am pretty certain some did.

The usual reason that we buy direct from overseas in Oz is that the local distributors typically charge 2/ 3 times the price you can bring stuff in for - try Munich Motorcycles or The Oz Avon site for examples.