ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Be careful what you wish for... If you haven't spent winter time here you may not like it. Sunrise to sunset is about 8 hours and the sun is so low in the sky you don't get much light. Combine that with clouds and rain and it's just plain dark for about 3 months. Also, the air on the west side of the Cascades never really gets warm. The ocean and Sound stay in the 50's during summer, so when you go into shade or the sun goes down it gets cold, fast. One of the few things I miss from the east coast is the warm nights. I've know many people who move here from CA and AZ and can't take it for more than a few years.

That said, when it's clear and sunny (like today) it's FANTASTIC. The mountains, the water and islands, are almost enough to make up for the dark and rain. Almost...

Tom
I've been in Seattle off and on over the years. I originate from North Dakota. I understand the lack of sun in the winter. And as I get older I find that I don't much care for daylight at 10:30 pm either. But I want to give it a shot. I love the land\sea interface. I hope to get a boat and do some exploring. I am looking forward to spending time in Canada and north. And before I move there I want to spend at least one two week vacation in the area during the winter months.
They say that Taos is just the opposite from Seattle. That is Taos has 70% of its time with clear skies. And Seattle has 70% of the year overcast. I know that when I moved here I had a hard time dealing with the lack in the change in the weather. I was here for 5 years before I felt my first cold front move through.
In your search don't overlook Colorado Springs, Woodland Park area. Also just about anywhere along the front range there is a nice mix of great life style and employment opportunity. A lot of people from the PNW end up along the east side of the front range.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
I live in Edgewood actually, and yes, it's pretty darn good. FYI, the Bank of America owned foreclosure next to me will be a screaming deal for someone. Very nice home. Garage!
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 358
I moved to outside of Santa Fe (Lamy) from Seattle 4 years. Spent 5 years there, couldn't take it. Every Winter I felt like I was living on some alien planet that hadn't finished the terraforming quite yet.

I do miss Harborview though. Great hospital and I saw and learned things there that will be with me forever.

I raced WMRRA for a couple of years, nothing like getting a knee down running full wets in a supersport race. Whole new perspective.

I love the southwest though, and will never leave again.

Allergies here can be severe, and only hit after 2-3 years of exposure.
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
How do you feel about wind?
I got to experience that in 2010 when I rode through. Not fun! Of course we get hurricane force winds here in the NW Interior during the winter, so I might be able to trade.

Something deep and witty goes here.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I've been in Seattle off and on over the years. I originate from North Dakota. I understand the lack of sun in the winter. And as I get older I find that I don't much care for daylight at 10:30 pm either. But I want to give it a shot. I love the land\sea interface. I hope to get a boat and do some exploring. I am looking forward to spending time in Canada and north. And before I move there I want to spend at least one two week vacation in the area during the winter months.
They say that Taos is just the opposite from Seattle. That is Taos has 70% of its time with clear skies. And Seattle has 70% of the year overcast. I know that when I moved here I had a hard time dealing with the lack in the change in the weather. I was here for 5 years before I felt my first cold front move through.
In your search don't overlook Colorado Springs, Woodland Park area. Also just about anywhere along the front range there is a nice mix of great life style and employment opportunity. A lot of people from the PNW end up along the east side of the front range.
I spent the 90's kayaking all over WA and BC and it simply can't be beat. I've paddled with otters (river and sea), seals, sea lions, porpoises, orcas, gray and humpback whales, and even a bear one time. I can watch the NatGeo channel and honestly say, "Done that!" The mountains, the desert, the ocean, makes me wonder why I want to leave.

I'm looking at CO, it wasn't on my radar until recently so I want to check it out. I lived in Denver decades ago and hated it, and can't imagine it's gotten any better. Plus I've had my fill of cities, I like being near them so you can visit then get the hell out. I've got Vancouver BC one hour north and Seattle 2 hours south, so again, why am I wanting to leave?

Tom

Old 05-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #21
Johnny of STORK
motorcycles-boats-horses

Oddometer: 113
Chuck -- When you come through Taos, give me a shout. I'm in the book under "Johnny's Fabco". If you were to think about living in Taos, the standard recommendation is to rent for a year or so, to see if " The Mountain Likes You". It's not for everybody, and some seem to handle the lack of organization (some say utter chaos) better than others.

Johnny
Johnny of STORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #22
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,827
If you want gainful employment, I'd definitely be checking out Colorado. There are lots of places near Denver that don't feel like huge cities. Golden is one example. As much as I loved living in Santa Fe, and still like to visit New Mexico a lot, it didn't work for me from an employment perspective. In Colorado, I have easy access to fantastic riding and a job that pays really well. And it's not that far away to get a New Mexico fix.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #23
Genghis Swan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
I originally moved from the PNW and have been in Red River (Taos County) for over 20 years and have no desire to ever leave. It is a four season environment with skiing all winter and we even rode dirt for all but one month of last year. Granted we did have to drive down the hill mid winter, but I couldn't ask for more.
To make a living it is best to be as self sufficient as possible as the wages are generally low but if you have the desire and the means to run your own business you can't beat it.
Genghis Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Swan View Post
I originally moved from the PNW and have been in Red River (Taos County) for over 20 years and have no desire to ever leave. It is a four season environment with skiing all winter and we even rode dirt for all but one month of last year. Granted we did have to drive down the hill mid winter, but I couldn't ask for more.
To make a living it is best to be as self sufficient as possible as the wages are generally low but if you have the desire and the means to run your own business you can't beat it.
I had to check out Red River in 2010 because it beat Bellingham in Outside magazine's best place to live! Nice, but best? Hmmmm....

I live a pretty simple life and have almost no debt so I can survive a while on low income but at some point want money for more toys. My fantasy is to open a Triumph dealership in Taos with a motorsports themed pub, but I think that will stay a fantasy for the rest of my life. Gotta have goals, though, and that's a good one. Maybe I'll meet a rich heiress who needs my body and will fund my business? Weirder things have happened!

Tom

Chuckanut screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 04:52 PM
Old 05-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
hook0924
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Question Compared to

Compared to Afganistan, Santa Fe's not too bad, at least some of the roads are paved
hook0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So we've now had a full week of blue skies, warm temps, and clear roads. Plus the local fruit is just starting to come in - strawberries, then blueberries, cherries, apricots, peaches, and apples. Remind me, why the hell am I thinking about leaving???

Oh, that's right, October through March. Now I remember.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #27
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,356
We've had a week of clouds and rain. Up north I hear that there was some snow.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #28
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I pulled into Taos last night and am ready to do some serious 'checking things out'. All those offers of help, I'm gonna PM you and see if we can get together sometime, somewhere. In the meantime food.

Tom

Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #29
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,538
Don't know how long you will be in Taos, but there is a Trials event taking place at the Sipapu Ski area this weekend, which is not very far from Taos. The Sipapu area has some of the best D/S, and off road riding (single track) in the state. Might be a good place to visit. Should be a good turn out. Enjoy.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,827
Drop a line if you head north, Tom. It's supposed to get really warm and toasty here next week - in the 90's.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote