ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #31
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
Don't know how long you will be in Taos, but there is a Trials event taking place at the Sipapu Ski area this weekend, which is not very far from Taos. The Sipapu area has some of the best D/S, and off road riding (single track) in the state. Might be a good place to visit. Should be a good turn out. Enjoy.

We'll be road riding some of this countries best paved road rides tomorrow and then riding trials on a ski resort's mountain for the weekend. I could ride awesome desert within an hour of either if I had the time.
I'm not even thinking about leaving NM.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
Don't know how long you will be in Taos, but there is a Trials event taking place at the Sipapu Ski area this weekend, which is not very far from Taos. The Sipapu area has some of the best D/S, and off road riding (single track) in the state. Might be a good place to visit. Should be a good turn out. Enjoy.
Looks like I'll be able to make this on my way out of town, any more info? Where when who how why? My bike will be fully loaded with all my gear so I'm hoping it's not up some gnarly roads!

Tom

Something deep and witty goes here.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #33
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,720
http://www.nmtrials.org/?q=node/5

Go there, look for Sipapu directions. Trials are on Saturday and Sunday this weekend.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
http://www.nmtrials.org/?q=node/5

Go there, look for Sipapu directions. Trials are on Saturday and Sunday this weekend.
I was mostly looking for when, been to Sipapu before (love the hummingbirds!) Tomorrow is Taos to Santa Fe and I have some time but also want to get some riding in. Those are some great roads in there.

Something deep and witty goes here.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I'll swap you. I am tired of the high desert. To much sun and too many fires. I am looking to retire north of Bellingham in a few years. I am headed there this summer to go on a San Juan Kayak trip with my sons. Before we go Kayaking I will be spending a few days bumming around the area. Maybe heading in to Victora.

Good luck in your New Mexico search. I hope that you find what it is that you are looking for.
I guess you guys ARE tired of the fires this year!!! I love the high desert but my sinuses can't take it so good anymore. We will be heading up to Olympic Peninsula Monday to spend the summer with my sons. I am going to probably buy a kayak to use around the bays. I have five in Florida and used to get out lots, but now not so much (wrapped up in other endeavors, like precision shooting, motorcycling, yada yada). Definitely do Victoria and all of Vancouver Island you can. All good.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #36
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 828
Given the choice of living in the Pacific Northwet and the Wild West, I would choose the former. New Mexico has problems, big, major problems. It is not a good place to live, even if you are hispanic, unless you are here illegally then I suppose it may be okay. There is no difference between the quality of life between Northern and Southern New Mexico. The lack of respect, lack of common sense, lack of ethics, lack of civility, and lack of honesty runs from north to south and east to west. It will never get cleaned up until they can somehow clean up the elected officials in Santa Fe, but everyone has their hands in everyones pockets, so that may never happen.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh. But after living in this cesspool for 18 years and watching it go from a great place to live to the state it is in now leaves me a bit bitter.

3 years and counting and I am getting their hell out of here and back to the PNW.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #37
2thpower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
As with anywhere else, there are big plusses and minuses to anywhere you go; I moved here (by choice, not a relocation) from Wisconsin 1 year ago and i absolutely love it. I knew i had to be in the mountains (I'm in Albuquerque, but Taos is a 2 hour drive door to door only), and the weather here is unbeatable; you get the seasons without the extremes, no humidity, and there's great snow/skiing such a short drive from the city
Let me know when you plan on being in ABQ; depending on when you come (if i've finished moving into my house), you're welcome to stay at our place.
2thpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #38
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie3202 View Post
Yes ladies and gentleman, the Wild West still exists and it is called Albuquerque. I live in New Mexico, just 70 miles north of El Paso, Texas, a supposed violent dangerous border town. I can tell you that El Paso is much more civilized than Albuquerque, New Mexico. I was raised in East Los Angeles and never saw or heard of the shit that I hear coming out of Albuquerque.

What a hole, a deep filthy cesspool of a hole.....Albuquerque.
Quote:
Given the choice of living in the Pacific Northwet and the Wild West, I would choose the former. New Mexico has problems, big, major problems. It is not a good place to live, even if you are hispanic, unless you are here illegally then I suppose it may be okay. There is no difference between the quality of life between Northern and Southern New Mexico. The lack of respect, lack of common sense, lack of ethics, lack of civility, and lack of honesty runs from north to south and east to west. It will never get cleaned up until they can somehow clean up the elected officials in Santa Fe, but everyone has their hands in everyones pockets, so that may never happen.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh. But after living in this cesspool for 18 years and watching it go from a great place to live to the state it is in now leaves me a bit bitter.

3 years and counting and I am getting their hell out of here and back to the PNW.

Having lived in NM more than twice as long as you, I have to say that your experience is atypical from the many, many views I have heard expressed over the years. I'm not saying everyone likes it here. I recognize that NM is not everyone's cup of tea. No place is. But seriously, just because you don't like it in our camp, please don't piss all over our campfire. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Welcome to the Rockies forum!

Think of this as a campfire you can stand around and trade stories, organize rides, buy and sell a bike, and chat about life in general, riding in particular, and most anything else that comes up.

Of course there are some rules that go along with all that.

1) We are friends and neighbors. Discussion is what makes the site fun. But we ask that you offer your opinions and rebuttals like you would around a campfire with us all- with good humor and civility. If your approach to discussion is too combative or disrespectful, etc, one of the moderators will ask you to calm down in private. If that doesn't work, we'll warn in public. Then you'll start getting longer and longer vacations. We have no interest in censoring your opinion, but if you start screaming at a campfire we're all standing around in person we'll ask you to leave that, too.

selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #39
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out..
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #40
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterHarry View Post
Trust me, I will be out the door so fast it won't have a chance to hit me in the ass.

And...after living here for 18 years I think it is my campfire too, and I'll piss on it if I please. Thanks.

And I really don't think I am "screaming at the campfire", just sharing my opinion. I have, and now I am done. See, no screaming. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #41
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,525
I didn't say you were screaming, but you appear to have conceded that you are pissing on the campfire, and in my book that constitutes a lack of civility, respect, and good humor. Your accusations run "from north to south and east to west." Your words, not mine. I know a lot of folks in this state, many of whom have traveled it quite extensively, and I've never heard anyone offer such sweeping generalizations. I will say this, however: I have noticed that the folks who know everything about NM seem to be transplants who, while living here, would rather be somewhere else. I think I'll go ride my dirt bike out my back door now. Peace.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #42
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
I didn't say you were screaming, but you appear to have conceded that you are pissing on the campfire, and in my book that constitutes a lack of civility, respect, and good humor. Your accusations run "from north to south and east to west." Your words, not mine. I know a lot of folks in this state, many of whom have traveled it quite extensively, and I've never heard anyone offer such sweeping generalizations. I will say this, however: I have noticed that the folks who know everything about NM seem to be transplants who, while living here, would rather be somewhere else. I think I'll go ride my dirt bike out my back door now. Peace.
You are correct in your assessment, and I will own it. That is why I need to leave New Mexico, I am becoming a product of my environment, and do not like that this state has done that to me. I could get into specifics about what is wrong with this state (and many others, granted), but will not as I have no more piss for the fire. You can all go back to holding hands and singing the praises now as I need to go pack.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #43
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,888
Pull up a chair.

Wow them fires are really turning up the heat around here.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #44
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,770
Born and raised in NM...and I'm 100 percent Caucasian

There are a lot of things that piss me off about NM -- the corruption in the politics for example and our terrible school system and gang problems. OTOH there are a lot of things to love -- it's a truly stunningly beautiful state with an amazing amount of stuff to do outside. I would tell you the weather is awesome, but for the last two years it's just mostly been scary (suuper dry, hot, and incessantly windy, damaging hail, etc). The constant wind is getting on my nerves more than anything else lately.

I like living on the edge of ABQ because in 30-40 minutes I can be in wilderness. I like the small town feel of ABQ and most of the people are pretty friendly. Great food, good arts.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 05:57 AM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #45
SirWrecksAlot
Slowventurer

Oddometer: 10,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
I recognize that NM is not everyone's cup of tea. No place is. But seriously, just because you don't like it in our camp, please don't piss all over our campfire. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterHarry View Post

This.

Anytime I hear sweeping generalizations like that, it usually has more to do with the person than the place. I wish you good luck somewhere else Coastie. The sooner the better.

SirWrecksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote