ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #91
gbmaz
Power Newb

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie3202 View Post
I too will be done with this thread after I give you a little bit of an explanation regarding my dissatisfaction with the state and many, but not all of the people in it and the state government and their failures.

Without saying too much I want you to know that I work for a state agency that exposes me to the mental and physical abuse of our states children, everyday. I see first hand how little value children have to some folks and I see what it has done to those children, many of whom have no future. I see how the state government turns a blind eye to the things that go on, and I see how interventions that could be put into place are not as the government is afraid of losing either votes, money, or whatever it is that they are afraid of.

Has that tainted my opinion of this State? Yes it has. And it would taint yours and anyone else on here that thinks I am just irrational, immature, etc. etc. I'm talking about things that most of the population of the state will never be aware of as it is kept in the closet while we pursue other more important things.....like a Space Port.

And with that I am done. I offer this with the utmost sincerity, I hope to see you all on the trail. Not adios.....but catch you later.
Coastie-
I had been all ready to write you off as a grumpy crank until I read your last post. I worked with mentally ill youth in group homes in ABQ and Tucson in the 90's and saw first had the result of states underfunding services for kids while doing other BS. There is always money for more prisons, but try and get an extra few days in the hospital for a kid with serious psychiatric issues and it was near impossible. In Tucson I worked with kids who probably should have been in a locked RTC unit, but instead were in a group home and going to public school. It got worse when they turned over case management to for profit agencies where the doc making the call on hospitalization had a financial interest in keeping the kid out of the hospital.

Doing that work broke me and I had to leave the field. As hard as it was to deal with some of the kids, it was the adults and their BS reasons for not providing the care that was needed that finished me. It has been nearly 20 years since I did that work in ABQ I still think of some of those kids. Like with police officers until you have been "in the trenches" you really do not understand how f'd up the system is when it comes to kids. Unfortunately I think this is true everywhere, not just NM.

Thank you for your 18 years of service for the youth of our state. Keep in your heart and mind the knowledge that giving a damn and fighting for kids has made a difference. Might not be one you get to see, but it is there. Also, I know there is special place in Hell for folks who screw over the kids to fund other BS.

I hope when you do retire in a few years you are able to find some peace where ever you end up. Perhaps starting with an epic motorcycle trip to clear your head and let you reflect would be in order.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #92
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 851
GbMaze.....THANK YOU.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #93
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
No, not quite like the northwest or the northeast for that matter, but there is plenty of green in NM. Just gotta know where to look.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for the pics, I rode through some pretty lush areas, it's true, they just tend to be far from gainful employment. OK, OK, NM is far from gainful employment, but that's another story.

I'm beginning to rethink everything, again, after seeing this today:

I arrived home on a beautiful sunny warm day, but now we're back to June gloom and IT SUCKS. Everything is so damp and gooey. Sheesh, why doesn't some rich woman come along and take me away from all this???

Something deep and witty goes here.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #94
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, children, you've hijacked the f**k out of this thread, if you want to continue your rants and sniping, please start a new thread (may I suggest calling it 'Things I Hate About New Mexico') and go there. In the meantime, leave my thread alone and let us adults have a constructive conversation!

And yes, I'm willing to hear about the negative side of NM, I understand it's a small population state with poverty, multiculturalism, immigration issues, corruption, etc. You'll find this everywhere in various degrees, but it's also a state with a depth of cultures you won't find anywhere else, incredible beauty in both people and nature, and opportunities galore.

Thank you and good day.
T

Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #95
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Ok, children, you've hijacked the f**k out of this thread, if you want to continue your rants and sniping, please start a new thread (may I suggest calling it 'Things I Hate About New Mexico') and go there. In the meantime, leave my thread alone and let us adults have a constructive conversation!

And yes, I'm willing to hear about the negative side of NM, I understand it's a small population state with poverty, multiculturalism, immigration issues, corruption, etc. You'll find this everywhere in various degrees, but it's also a state with a depth of cultures you won't find anywhere else, incredible beauty in both people and nature, and opportunities galore.

Thank you and good day.
T
Well, the real problem is all these damn kids skateboarding on the sidewalk!
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #96
Chuckanut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Well, the real problem is all these damn kids skateboarding on the sidewalk!
And get off my lawn!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #97
gammonjoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:

Thank you and good day.
T
Sounds like you got it on one. You'll do just fine out here
gammonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #98
papa_j
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
. . . but it's also a state with a depth of cultures you won't find anywhere else, incredible beauty in both people and nature, and opportunities galore.

Thank you and good day.
T
From the tone of that statement, you must have liked what you saw on your trip around New Mexico.

I am a big fan of the state and I would like to put in a vote for Northwest New Mexico. It doesn’t look like your travels brought you through this part of the state. While not as green as the mountains (definitely not as picturesque as the Taos area), I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place for someone who likes to dual sport and trail ride.

I live 2.5 miles from a designated 15,000-acre BLM riding area. 3.5 miles from a 800-acre dunes area. There are single-track trails all over with new trails being made all the time. There is a small MX track on BLM land and there is a maintained “big boy” mx track 15 miles away. To satisfy any high mountain craving, we are 2.5 hours from Silverton, Telliride, and the Rico/priest gulch area. Moab is only 3. 5 hours away. Last year an inmate and I rode Corkscrew pass, Hurricane Pass, Cinnamon Pass, and Engineer Pass and were home by three.

The weather here is pretty good year around. The majority of the days are sunny. We rode almost every weekend last year (too cold for road trips but a perfect temperature for trail riding). Too much further north and your riding calendar is shortened quite a bit. It gets hot in the summer but that means you can wake early to get your ride in.

It’s hard to think of other places that stack up. Cortez, CO might be nice but it is a much smaller town. I often think that Flagstaff, AZ might be a pretty sweet place to live but I am not sure about access issues in Flag. From what I hear there are not a lot of local riders in the Moab area. Moab is great to visit but the trails, at least the terrain immediately associated with the town, would be hard to ride every weekend. I lived in Albuquerque for nine years but wasn’t riding at the time. Albuquerque is a bit too big for us. Santa Fe is too touristy and every time I have to drive to Cerrillos Road through town I want to poke myself in the eye. I haven’t spent much time in Taos but after looking through ride reports on the area I am thinking it would be a pretty sweet spot. I am going to try to get the wife out there this weekend to check it out.

Your mileage may vary.
papa_j is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #99
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie3202 View Post
Given the choice of living in the Pacific Northwet and the Wild West, I would choose the former. New Mexico has problems, big, major problems. It is not a good place to live, even if you are hispanic, unless you are here illegally then I suppose it may be okay. There is no difference between the quality of life between Northern and Southern New Mexico. The lack of respect, lack of common sense, lack of ethics, lack of civility, and lack of honesty runs from north to south and east to west. It will never get cleaned up until they can somehow clean up the elected officials in Santa Fe, but everyone has their hands in everyones pockets, so that may never happen.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh. But after living in this cesspool for 18 years and watching it go from a great place to live to the state it is in now leaves me a bit bitter.

3 years and counting and I am getting their hell out of here and back to the PNW.
Okay. A year and a half have gone by so time to check in and see if my opinion of New Mexico has improved. Hmmm......NOPE. Still a cesspool and getting worse by the day. It's bad when you turn on the Albuquerque news and get reports of shootings and bodies found, every day. I am not kidding, not exaggerating. So, 18 months and counting. I can't wait to get out of here.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #100
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,802
18 months later we still want you gone.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #101
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,712
Why are you watching the news? There are better ways to spend your spare time.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #102
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,734
Ok I will jump in the pool.....
I have lived in a lot of places in the US and been lucky enough to have visited all 50 states. I was born in New York spent a lot of time in the city as well as upstate, I spent a few years in Arizona (Phx.), a lot of years in Northern Calif, (Bay Area), a bunch more years in the Florida Keys, a few other years in between Oregon, Colorado and New Mexico. About 5 + years ago I was offered a PM job in Santa Fe and I left the paradise of the Keys for what I thought was going to be a two year project. Well once the project was completed I was asked to stay on and it has been over 5 years now and I am still happy to be here. Is there crime, sure just like any where else in the world. Poverty, yup again no shortage in any other place I have lived. DUI's , try the Keys for a while where it is standard practice to "win" the prize that day for the most DUI's that month. In all the places I have lived there have been challenges but I have learned where you live and what you think about it is all up to you. I have never lived in a bad place, they have all had their good and bad influences but I have chosen and will continue to do so to see the good in every place. It does exist you just have to be willing to look for and find it. It all comes down to attitude. Life is to short to hate your job, your home, your friends or anything else. I have great friends in all the places I have lived and New Mexico is no exception. BTW I like green

Growing older every day but never growing up.

NMOHVA, COHVCO, AMA
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #103
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
I couldn't have said it any better.......

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #104
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRick View Post
...In all the places I have lived there have been challenges but I have learned where you live and what you think about it is all up to you. I have never lived in a bad place, they have all had their good and bad influences but I have chosen and will continue to do so to see the good in every place. It does exist you just have to be willing to look for and find it. It all comes down to attitude. Life is too short to hate your job, your home, your friends or anything else. I have great friends in all the places I have lived and New Mexico is no exception. BTW I like green
Awesome Rick!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #105
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
No kidding.
I can only imagine how he is making everyone around him miserable, thus adding to his percieved shit-hole.
No doubt, he will carry that charming attitude with him wherever he goes, and voila, what do you know? This place sucks too!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote