Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,202
I have a '05 TTR 125 and the clutch engagement is way out, no engagement at all until the clutch is almost fully released.

I am assuming the clutch pack is due for replacement, but am open to other ideas.

The Duke abides!
ballistic_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistic_ken View Post
I have a '05 TTR 125 and the clutch engagement is way out, no engagement at all until the clutch is almost fully released.

I am assuming the clutch pack is due for replacement, but am open to other ideas.

I know the lever on the clutch actuator is a bit short, but that usually causes a stiff clutch pull. I have heard (think it was thumper talk) of folks extending the that little lever. It may make the throw a littler longer but it sound more like you have a worn clutch. I assume you are getting close the the end of adjustment? it's not a stretched cable is it?
Old 07-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,239
Hey folks,

I bought an 08' for my son a week ago. It had what I thought was rocker arm noise that ended up being piston slap. So I pulled the top end and found a galded piston, well crap. The kicker is I accidently dropped the cam gear washer behind the flywheel. I pulled the side cover but could not see the washer. Using a puller I attemped to pulle the flywheel off. the puller ended up bending the threads of the crankshaft. Now I have an engine that needs a piston and a crankshaft.

Is the crankshaft really that soft? Has this happened to anyone else.

No aftermarket crankshafts and a new OEM one is $300

Any help would be appriceated.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver View Post
Hey folks,

I bought an 08' for my son a week ago. It had what I thought was rocker arm noise that ended up being piston slap. So I pulled the top end and found a galded piston, well crap. The kicker is I accidently dropped the cam gear washer behind the flywheel. I pulled the side cover but could not see the washer. Using a puller I attemped to pulle the flywheel off. the puller ended up bending the threads of the crankshaft. Now I have an engine that needs a piston and a crankshaft.

Is the crankshaft really that soft? Has this happened to anyone else.

No aftermarket crankshafts and a new OEM one is $300

Any help would be appriceated.

Ray
Sounds familiar.....

Yes, the crank is that soft. When I did it to my son's bike, I ground down the end of the crank shaft so the flywheel would slide back on easily without screwing up the tapered finish of the flywheel. I then machined down the left side of the inner hub of the flywheel so that the thread of the bolt would engage again. I believe I ended up removing something like 1/4" of steel. Bolted it back up and off we went.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote