ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
MrBob OP
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
Hmmmm....guess it's time to start thinking about selling:

1) Boat trailer bought to make a custom cargo trailer the way I wanted one

2) 3 rail Ski Kart bike trailer that been sitting around for years, strong enough to haul Gold Wings, Hardly Able to Runs...try that on a Holesclaw trailer
It seems a number of riders buy the Harbor Freight trailers and modify accordingly. That will run you about 400.00 to 500.00 ultimately so my 350.00 looked pretty good.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
TooFast
Studly Adventurer
 
TooFast's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Rocky Mountains
Oddometer: 632
I usually pull back to a safe distance and watch when I see trailers with little 8" tires go by at 75 -80 mph
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
Mini Trail
nb
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: West Tennessee
Oddometer: 2,131
Here is mine sometime around 1972. My Father in Law bought it new in 1970 along with the two CL100s on the outside rails of the trailer. I can't quite make it out but there may be a CT70 in the back seat of the Oldsmobile. It used chains with springs and big hooks on the ends for tie-downs. I still have them but don't trust them.


Here it is in March after we got back from Daytona. I replaced the bearing killers with 10" tires and my inlaws gave me one of those flip-up trailer wheels so it can be moved on the ground loaded. It is so short it can be an absolute mother to back into an RV pad behind the motorhome.


The rails are nowhere near wide enough for dirtbike tires. I will eventually get a wider, aluminum center rail. I would like to put new shocks on it too but I haven't measured them.
__________________
Your cycle had a bell on it.

Mini Trail screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 08:24 PM
Mini Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
MrBob OP
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post


The rails are nowhere near wide enough for dirtbike tires. I will eventually get a wider, aluminum center rail. I would like to put new shocks on it too but I haven't measured them.
Do you load it using the tilted rails? I'm wondering if I can heat the last few feet of the sides of the rails and spread them a little.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
Mini Trail
nb
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: West Tennessee
Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Do you load it using the tilted rails? I'm wondering if I can heat the last few feet of the sides of the rails and spread them a little.
I never have. If you look carefully there is a pressure treated 2x4 in the center rail. I put a bolt in the end that hooks into a hole at the end of each rail when I am loading and I flip it around and store it in one of the rails.

If the hinges were further forward it would make sense but it seems like they would tip forward as soon as the front wheel crossed the hinge and well before the rear tire would hit the back and hold it down. You can see that even that 225 uses most of the rail. My 690 hangs over the end a bit.
__________________
Your cycle had a bell on it.
Mini Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,238
that spare tire looks like it came with the trailer new
__________________
1996 Harley Tour Glide
1998 Honda Helix
1989 Honda Pacific Coast
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
MrBob OP
Jambo!
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
I never have. If you look carefully there is a pressure treated 2x4 in the center rail. I put a bolt in the end that hooks into a hole at the end of each rail when I am loading and I flip it around and store it in one of the rails.

If the hinges were further forward it would make sense but it seems like they would tip forward as soon as the front wheel crossed the hinge and well before the rear tire would hit the back and hold it down.

I tried using the tilted ramp today. I walked the bike up in gear and idling. When the bike was halfway onto the ramp it kicked up. No surprise there.
I dug out an old 2"x10"x6' plank with an aluminum fitting on one end that I used to load my Bandit into my pickup. I ripped it and the aluminum fitting to 4". The aluminum lip fits into the trailer channel.
It was easy to load the bike using the ramp. The back tire on my KLR is
4 1/8" wide. The channel is 4 3/16" wide.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #23
Sleek95civic
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 5
Revive an oldie

I just got one of these old Holsclaw trailers myself. Doesn't look as nice as MrBobs's. At least I scored it pretty cheap, under $100. Previous owner got a little over zealous with some paint and covered the data plate. Hoping someone would be willing to send me a picture of one so I can make out what is stamped on it.

I'd also like to upgrade the wheels/tires to make it a little more capable of today's bikes. Anyone have thoughts there?
Sleek95civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer
 
KeithinSC's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Sandhills of SC
Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleek95civic View Post
I just got one of these old Holsclaw trailers myself. Doesn't look as nice as MrBobs's. At least I scored it pretty cheap, under $100. Previous owner got a little over zealous with some paint and covered the data plate. Hoping someone would be willing to send me a picture of one so I can make out what is stamped on it.

I'd also like to upgrade the wheels/tires to make it a little more capable of today's bikes. Anyone have thoughts there?
If the plate is still there, and if it was engraved or stamped you can try stripping the paint. Brake fluid works pretty well
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
Sleek95civic
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
If the plate is still there, and if it was engraved or stamped you can try stripping the paint. Brake fluid works pretty well
I've been thinking of stuff like that. There is some info that is stamped, but I'm guessing the headers/titles for those fields have silk screened onto the plate. So I'd need something that can removed the paint and not harm anything else.
Sleek95civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #26
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer
 
marksbonneville's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Arizona, Prescott more less.
Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleek95civic View Post
I've been thinking of stuff like that. There is some info that is stamped, but I'm guessing the headers/titles for those fields have silk screened onto the plate. So I'd need something that can removed the paint and not harm anything else.
I'll try and get a photo of the plate on my Holsclaw today, send me a PM if it looks like I need a reminder.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #27
Sleek95civic
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
I'll try and get a photo of the plate on my Holsclaw today, send me a PM if it looks like I need a reminder.
That'd be fantastic. I see a few posts back you said you converted yours to a flatbed, would you mind showing me pictures of that too? I'm planning to do that with mine as well.
Sleek95civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #28
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer
 
marksbonneville's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Arizona, Prescott more less.
Oddometer: 961
Pics as promised.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #29
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer
 
marksbonneville's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Arizona, Prescott more less.
Oddometer: 961
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #30
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer
 
marksbonneville's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Arizona, Prescott more less.
Oddometer: 961
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014