Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
Hmmmm....guess it's time to start thinking about selling:

1) Boat trailer bought to make a custom cargo trailer the way I wanted one

2) 3 rail Ski Kart bike trailer that been sitting around for years, strong enough to haul Gold Wings, Hardly Able to Runs...try that on a Holesclaw trailer
It seems a number of riders buy the Harbor Freight trailers and modify accordingly. That will run you about 400.00 to 500.00 ultimately so my 350.00 looked pretty good.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
I usually pull back to a safe distance and watch when I see trailers with little 8" tires go by at 75 -80 mph
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #18
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,131
Here is mine sometime around 1972. My Father in Law bought it new in 1970 along with the two CL100s on the outside rails of the trailer. I can't quite make it out but there may be a CT70 in the back seat of the Oldsmobile. It used chains with springs and big hooks on the ends for tie-downs. I still have them but don't trust them.

Here it is in March after we got back from Daytona. I replaced the bearing killers with 10" tires and my inlaws gave me one of those flip-up trailer wheels so it can be moved on the ground loaded. It is so short it can be an absolute mother to back into an RV pad behind the motorhome.

The rails are nowhere near wide enough for dirtbike tires. I will eventually get a wider, aluminum center rail. I would like to put new shocks on it too but I haven't measured them.

Mini Trail screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 08:24 PM
Mini Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post

The rails are nowhere near wide enough for dirtbike tires. I will eventually get a wider, aluminum center rail. I would like to put new shocks on it too but I haven't measured them.
Do you load it using the tilted rails? I'm wondering if I can heat the last few feet of the sides of the rails and spread them a little.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Do you load it using the tilted rails? I'm wondering if I can heat the last few feet of the sides of the rails and spread them a little.
I never have. If you look carefully there is a pressure treated 2x4 in the center rail. I put a bolt in the end that hooks into a hole at the end of each rail when I am loading and I flip it around and store it in one of the rails.

If the hinges were further forward it would make sense but it seems like they would tip forward as soon as the front wheel crossed the hinge and well before the rear tire would hit the back and hold it down. You can see that even that 225 uses most of the rail. My 690 hangs over the end a bit.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
that spare tire looks like it came with the trailer new
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
I never have. If you look carefully there is a pressure treated 2x4 in the center rail. I put a bolt in the end that hooks into a hole at the end of each rail when I am loading and I flip it around and store it in one of the rails.

If the hinges were further forward it would make sense but it seems like they would tip forward as soon as the front wheel crossed the hinge and well before the rear tire would hit the back and hold it down.

I tried using the tilted ramp today. I walked the bike up in gear and idling. When the bike was halfway onto the ramp it kicked up. No surprise there.
I dug out an old 2"x10"x6' plank with an aluminum fitting on one end that I used to load my Bandit into my pickup. I ripped it and the aluminum fitting to 4". The aluminum lip fits into the trailer channel.
It was easy to load the bike using the ramp. The back tire on my KLR is
4 1/8" wide. The channel is 4 3/16" wide.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #23
Sleek95civic
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Revive an oldie

I just got one of these old Holsclaw trailers myself. Doesn't look as nice as MrBobs's. At least I scored it pretty cheap, under $100. Previous owner got a little over zealous with some paint and covered the data plate. Hoping someone would be willing to send me a picture of one so I can make out what is stamped on it.

I'd also like to upgrade the wheels/tires to make it a little more capable of today's bikes. Anyone have thoughts there?
Sleek95civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleek95civic View Post
I just got one of these old Holsclaw trailers myself. Doesn't look as nice as MrBobs's. At least I scored it pretty cheap, under $100. Previous owner got a little over zealous with some paint and covered the data plate. Hoping someone would be willing to send me a picture of one so I can make out what is stamped on it.

I'd also like to upgrade the wheels/tires to make it a little more capable of today's bikes. Anyone have thoughts there?
If the plate is still there, and if it was engraved or stamped you can try stripping the paint. Brake fluid works pretty well
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
Sleek95civic
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
If the plate is still there, and if it was engraved or stamped you can try stripping the paint. Brake fluid works pretty well
I've been thinking of stuff like that. There is some info that is stamped, but I'm guessing the headers/titles for those fields have silk screened onto the plate. So I'd need something that can removed the paint and not harm anything else.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #26
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleek95civic View Post
I've been thinking of stuff like that. There is some info that is stamped, but I'm guessing the headers/titles for those fields have silk screened onto the plate. So I'd need something that can removed the paint and not harm anything else.
I'll try and get a photo of the plate on my Holsclaw today, send me a PM if it looks like I need a reminder.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #27
Sleek95civic
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
I'll try and get a photo of the plate on my Holsclaw today, send me a PM if it looks like I need a reminder.
That'd be fantastic. I see a few posts back you said you converted yours to a flatbed, would you mind showing me pictures of that too? I'm planning to do that with mine as well.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #28
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Pics as promised.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #29
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer