ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #376
Krime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Dave, thanks for the detailed how-to using Photomatix, and beautiful shots! I came across this thread yesterday, and was inspired to learn how to use HDR. I'm going on a 10 day ride through Europe with my girlfriend, and I won't have the luxury of setting up a tripod for every shot (in other words: girlfriend won't have the patience). So I looked into how to play around with taking a single RAW exposure and breaking it into 2 additional exposures, and then into Photomatix. I've always spent a good amount of time in photoshop doing post-production, but have always been frustrated with blown out skys, etc. I was very pleased with the results!

I dug up a RAW picture from my Spain trip in March to play around with:

original, photoshopped image:

HDR:

I took the photo from photomatix, and further manipulate it in photoshop. but was very pleased with the added flexibility HDR brings! What frustrated me with the original pic, was that the bike lost a lot of detail with the blacks, while the background was more level, and the sky was over exposed. Very cool to be able to manipulate this dynamic.
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #377
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,965
Thumb Krime

It fun to learn new tricks, huh?
BTW, you shouldn't need a tripod to bracket photos even with manual brackets. I handhold most of mine, which is easier with autobracket. Photomatix does a decent job auto-aligning the different exposures.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #378
Krime
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
It fun to learn new tricks, huh?
BTW, you shouldn't need a tripod to bracket photos even with manual brackets. I handhold most of mine, which is easier with autobracket. Photomatix does a decent job auto-aligning the different exposures.
Oh yeah it is, massive time consumer but worth it. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on not needing a tripod to get good results. Out of curiousity, what EV do you shoot at when bracketing?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #379
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

It depends on the range of light for the scene, but 3 exposures 2 EV apart will work for most scenes. Pointed directly at the sun 5 @ 2 EV apart may not be enough.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #380
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,900
Quote:
It depends on the range of light for the scene, but 3 exposures 2 EV apart will work for most scenes. Pointed directly at the sun 5 @ 2 EV apart may not be enough.

That's Cool!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #381
Krime
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Good to know thanks. Unfortunately my camera will only do brackets of 3 frames max. Do you manipulate your photos in lightroom or photoshop before putting them into photomatix, or do you drop the unedited raw images into photomatix, and then edit afterwards?

I find when the image comes out of photomatix it tends to be quite washed out:

I bump up the levels in photoshop and it looks much better:

I do find it challenging to get a sense of what the final output will look like, as it does change quite a bit from photomatix to photoshop - many times I find the HDR effect looks pretty subtle out of photomatix, but then when I enhance the contrast in Photoshop, it feels too stylized. Guess it's a matter of getting used to it...

Is there a general setup of values in photomatix you use? Much like yourself, I'm more about using HDR to bring out the details in a shot, rather than as a highly stylized artistic effect.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #382
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,011
HDR I took yesterday... there is a motorcycle about 50 feet behind the T28... you just can't see it in the photo

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #383
rotem925
n00b

Oddometer: 2

My WR250R 2010 :)
I'm in love ;p
rotem925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #384
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krime View Post
Good to know thanks. Unfortunately my camera will only do brackets of 3 frames max. Do you manipulate your photos in lightroom or photoshop before putting them into photomatix, or do you drop the unedited raw images into photomatix, and then edit afterwards?

I bump up the levels in photoshop and it looks much better:

I do find it challenging to get a sense of what the final output will look like, as it does change quite a bit from photomatix to photoshop - many times I find the HDR effect looks pretty subtle out of photomatix, but then when I enhance the contrast in Photoshop, it feels too stylized. Guess it's a matter of getting used to it...

Is there a general setup of values in photomatix you use? Much like yourself, I'm more about using HDR to bring out the details in a shot, rather than as a highly stylized artistic effect.
That's interesting. So you have Photoshop but use Photomatix, too? Have you tried the HDR that comes in Photoshop alone? If so, how do the results compare? I only have Photoshop (CS6) so am interested in whether Photomatix does anything the Photoshop function doesn't.

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #385
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 842
Quote:

Photomatix default and or presets might not produce the results you want - experiment. The software offers lots of controls.
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #386
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX View Post
Photomatix default and or presets might not produce the results you want - experiment. The software offers lots of controls.
Ditto. I look at the presets as just starting points. Even presets that I've created don't usually work for the next photo. No 2 photos are exactly alike and will need different processing, IMO. I shoot RAW and process in Lightroom first. I know the experts who write HDR tutorials usually say to just import the RAW conversions directly into the HDR software without processing, but I usually do things differently. The RAWs have to be converted into TIFFs or JPEGs for the HDR software. I don't want Lightroom to convert the RAWs as is, which can lose lots of information, before I have a chance to fiddle with them. I do some light processing first while all of the information is still there. If the brightest photo still has dark areas or the darkest photo still has blown highlights, you may be able to recover these problems in RAW. Avoid much sharpening as this can change each bracket in a different way, possibly causing alignment issues.

Use the controls in Photomatix to get an image close to what you are satisfied with. IMO, no photo comes out of the HDR software that doesn't need more processing. You need to get some contrast back into the image, as it will usually be pretty flat (especially if you used anything close to the presets). I use the tone contrast curve, usually set to medium, and the blacks slider. Flat images are not usually pleasing to the eye. The information should usually cover the entire histogram. The HDR process creates noise, so some noise reduction will likely be needed.

This post would be worthless, with a picture.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #387
Krime
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWRider View Post
That's interesting. So you have Photoshop but use Photomatix, too? Have you tried the HDR that comes in Photoshop alone? If so, how do the results compare? I only have Photoshop (CS6) so am interested in whether Photomatix does anything the Photoshop function doesn't.

Cheers,

Mike
Hi Mike, I've experimented using the photoshop CS5 HDR feature but find it very limiting and hard to use. For some reason, it appears to only merge two images verses all three. Likely it's because I'm not using it right, but either way I find photomatrix has more flexibility.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #388
Krime
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ditto. I look at the presets as just starting points. Even presets that I've created don't usually work for the next photo. No 2 photos are exactly alike and will need different processing, IMO. I shoot RAW and process in Lightroom first. I know the experts who write HDR tutorials usually say to just import the RAW conversions directly into the HDR software without processing, but I usually do things differently. The RAWs have to be converted into TIFFs or JPEGs for the HDR software. I don't want Lightroom to convert the RAWs as is, which can lose lots of information, before I have a chance to fiddle with them. I do some light processing first while all of the information is still there. If the brightest photo still has dark areas or the darkest photo still has blown highlights, you may be able to recover these problems in RAW. Avoid much sharpening as this can change each bracket in a different way, possibly causing alignment issues.

Use the controls in Photomatix to get an image close to what you are satisfied with. IMO, no photo comes out of the HDR software that doesn't need more processing. You need to get some contrast back into the image, as it will usually be pretty flat (especially if you used anything close to the presets). I use the tone contrast curve, usually set to medium, and the blacks slider. Flat images are not usually pleasing to the eye. The information should usually cover the entire histogram. The HDR process creates noise, so some noise reduction will likely be needed.
Very cool, thanks for the clarity... will continue to play around.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #389
Krime
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 08-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #390
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Hi Mike, I've experimented using the photoshop CS5 HDR feature but find it very limiting and hard to use. For some reason, it appears to only merge two images verses all three. Likely it's because I'm not using it right, but either way I find photomatrix has more flexibility.
Thanks. I have to admit I have not had much time yet to mess around with the HDR plugin in PS either. I have been able to use it to make a picture that would have blown out highlights more accurate to how I saw the scene. But I have not gotten the more surreal effects some are getting. I guess I need to go online and find a tutorial so I know more exactly what I am doing.

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote