ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #901
speedyturtle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
speedyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #902
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,965
Thumb

Very classy, speedyturtle.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #903
speedyturtle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thank you sir

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
speedyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #904
BarKnee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Nice flurry Dave

From yesterday in the PNW

BarKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #905
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #906
h17
Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer: 747
Somewhere in Central Java-Indonesia

http://haryowidodo.com
h17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #907
h17
Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer: 747

http://haryowidodo.com
h17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #908
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,499
Overlooking Lake Okeechobee.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #909
yoseph19
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question thanks mr. Dave. regars

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Welcome to advrider yoseph19! Nice photo.
yoseph19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #910
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
Quote:
This is a good question that has come up before.

IMO, You have three options: Single Exposure, Bracketed Exposures with De-ghosting, Keep the cool ghosts.
One of the added benefits of using a single exposure is that you never have to be concerned with ghosts. They don't exist there.

Quote:
You CAN recover more dynamic range from any single exposure. More than you might guess. While a single RAW would be better, don't discount the possibilities with a single JPEG.
Absolutely! It never ceases to amaze me how much latent information is hidden within a single jpeg image. Going back over what I thought at the time were some pretty good photos when they were taken 6 to 10 years ago, and converting them into HDR's, the difference is astounding.

While RAW would undoubtedly yield even better results, unless you insist upon photos in the 99th percentile, a jpeg can be more than adequate for viewing over the internet... as Dave's examples prove.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #911
bulebiker
stuck in indonesia..

There is no extra information in jpegs that you can't see in the original if you just brightened them or darkened them. Putting them through HDR software is not getting you any extra information and is not actually making an HDR image, all you are doing is tonemapping an image. HDR images are definded as having a larger dynamic range than a normal image so just tonemapping an image is not HDR.
bulebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #912
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,965
Eh? HDR vs. HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulebiker View Post
There is no extra information in jpegs that you can't see in the original if you just brightened them or darkened them. Putting them through HDR software is not getting you any extra information and is not actually making an HDR image, all you are doing is tonemapping an image. HDR images are definded as having a larger dynamic range than a normal image so just tonemapping an image is not HDR.
bulebiker,

There are different uses of the term HDR in photography. Saying a single JPEG cannot be an HDR may be technically correct with the strictest use of the term. If this is true, then a single RAW is also a Low Dynamic Range photo.

There is a broader definition of the term HDR and is more often what people mean when they use the term.

From Wiki:
Quote:
High-dynamic-range imaging (HDRI or HDR) is a set of methods used in imaging and photography to capture a greater dynamic range between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than current standard digital imaging methods or photographic methods. HDR images can represent more accurately the range of intensity levels found in real scenes, from direct sunlight to faint starlight, and is often captured by way of a plurality of differently exposed pictures of the same subject matter.
Notice it says "often" not always.

From Wiki:
Quote:
HDR is also commonly used to refer to display of images derived from HDR imaging in a way that exaggerates contrast for artistic effect. The two main sources of HDR images are computer renderings and merging of multiple low-dynamic-range (LDR)[4] or standard-dynamic-range (SDR)[5] photographs. Tone mapping methods, which reduce overall contrast to facilitate display of HDR images on devices with lower dynamic range, can be applied to produce images with preserved or exaggerated local contrast for artistic effect.
From Trey Ratcliff of StuckinCustoms.com:
Quote:
WHAT IS HDR?
HDR is short for High Dynamic Range. It is a post-processing method of taking either one image or a series of images, combining them, and adjusting the contrast ratios to do things that are virtually impossible with a single aperture and shutter speed.
Since Trey is probably the most popular photographer of the internet age you can probably blame him for the bastardization of the acronym of what used to be a technical term.

Did you guys know HDR photography techniques were pioneered as early as 1850!

People have been arguing over it ever since.

For most of us, if the detail doesn't display on our monitors, then it doesn't exist, even if the camera actually captured it. Even if I use HDR software to gain artistic effects in a photo that doesn't even have over and underexposed areas, I will continue to refer to them as HDRs.

dave6253 screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 06:55 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #913
bulebiker
stuck in indonesia..

I just think that the use of the term HDR for anything that is tonemapped (blame Trey!!!) is the reason HDR has got such a bad name. As soon as it became popular on the net people started churning out single jpg HDRs that were best described as clown vomit. I am not one of those people who insist on 100% photorealisim but im sure you know the type of images I mean.

The reason I really don't like the term is it is used to describe any image processed by HDR software now. There is non HDR software for example Topaz Adjust which are designed for tonemapping single images. Topaz adjust does not have HDR capability (cannot work on an HDRi file or merge images). It just tonemapped single images for effect. The result is that with a single jpg you are doing exactly the same thing using topaz adjust or with photomatix. Guess which one is called HDR and which isnt? If just running an image through the right program makes it HDR I could write a script that would run my whole image library through photomatix on the default setting and make my whole library HDR! In face my HDR images might come out as HHDR! It just diminishes the effort made by people doing "proper" HDR using tripods, shutter releases, calculating the amount of exposures needed etc etc then spending tones of time in photomatix/photoshop trying to fix all the imperfections and make a realistic looking image.

Anyway bitching aside as long as people are enjoying the images they are making it doesn't really matter. This thread has made me want to go out and takes some photos now, TGIF
bulebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #914
Maxcatalyst
Maxcatalsyt

Oddometer: 1
Fire Road in Fall...

Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes of which all men have some. | Feel Better. Live Younger. Perform Stronger. - http://www.maxcatalyst.com
Maxcatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #915
blue72beetle
Look at my Wee

Oddometer: 146
I debated whether to post this or not, as it's a single frame, but I did play with it in photoshop using tonemapping and shadow/highlight, but I like the way it turned out.
I'd like to do more HDR photography, unfortunately my camera only does 3 frame bracketing.

blue72beetle is offline   Reply With Quote