User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #31
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 297
We are on that long trip, K60's for sure

We are currently on a global tour and have been running K60's from the get go. Fantastic tire that has lived up to the claims and more. We are now on our second sets for the trip but the first set lasted 14k+ miles and they still had plenty life left but we wanted to put fresh rubber on before we left the US for Mexico.

I have posted before about these tires and feel like a bit of a cheerleader but in our experience they really have been great. I will also note that I've run most of the other tires mentioned in earlier replies. Many are great but don't come close to the millage we have achieved with the K60.

BcDano screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 02:11 PM
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #32
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Tires to get you someplace in the US ain't that chalenging. My friend got from Alaska to Argentina with a Heidenau K60 in front, but the rear only made it to Chile. That is most likely the best dual sport tire. If you want something more road worthy there are lots of choices, most likely the Mets Tourance or Pirelli Scorpion are best. They are both good for more than 10k miles and hold the road very well. Dave
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #33
larryi52
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question Cape Town to Cairo Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
If I'm doing a long trip with some back roads/mild offroad I run a K60 rear and Pirelli MT21 or Dunlop D606 front. You'll have to change the front out before the end of your trip likely but fronts are cheap. If you're not spending too much time in the dirt the Anakees get a thumbs up. I haven't used the Anakee 2s but the originals treated me well.
Gents, I am riding from Cape Town, South Africa to Cairo with my youngest son (26) this summer. I'm out to make decent time on this adventure, so I'm not looking for dirt, sand and gravel on purpose. However, that is the only option in some spots, so I'm figuring something like 70% paved and 30% unpaved. The trip is almost 16,0000 kms (close to 10,000 miles). What would you suggest is the best tire for that ride on the front and back? We'll be pretty heavy with camping gear and water/petrol as well. We are both pretty cautious riders... going fast when it's safe and slow in the tough stuff.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Larry
larryi52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #34
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryi52 View Post
Gents, I am riding from Cape Town, South Africa to Cairo with my youngest son (26) this summer. I'm out to make decent time on this adventure, so I'm not looking for dirt, sand and gravel on purpose. However, that is the only option in some spots, so I'm figuring something like 70% paved and 30% unpaved. The trip is almost 16,0000 kms (close to 10,000 miles). What would you suggest is the best tire for that ride on the front and back? We'll be pretty heavy with camping gear and water/petrol as well. We are both pretty cautious riders... going fast when it's safe and slow in the tough stuff.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Larry
I am looking for this magic tire too.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #35
shrek2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Anakee 3
shrek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #36
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,447
Maybe some of you don't twist the throttle as far as others.
Original tires Anakee II's. 5000 miles both were down to 2/32".
Shinko 705's Better stone road traction. Rear was down to 3/32 in 2500 miles so I replaced it for a 2 up trip with the wife this fall. Front still holding up well.

Next:? Mitas E-07 rear, Shinko 700 front.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
Dutch1957
I wanna be a cowboy

Oddometer: 2
Cool2 I'll second that.

Good input from everyone on this post.
I've got 35,000 miles on my '09 800GS.

Finally arrived at the combo that works best for me.
Most of my long trips are 7,000 to 10,000 miles.

Combo: Front - Anakee 2's (for 80/20 riding)
or TKC 80's for more of a 50/50 riding split

Rear - Heidenau's K-60's (no question asked)
I put 11,000 on the first rear and that included over 3000 miles being "extreme" off-road up in Oregon.
I pulled it off to try the Conti- TKC's out and the Heidi still had 2 to 3k mile left on it. Easily!
Recently tried the TKC 80 on the back and was toast after 3500 miles of tarmac riding. In all fairness
the TKC's on the rear was damn good in the off-road portion. Very stable and secure feeling. Just no life.
(Yes I am a bit on the heavy side, 225 lb and I do always carry all my camping gear on these trips.)

I've tried the METZLER Unicross All-Terain on the front, and I was happy as heck with it. That was until I hit a tarmac "ledge" a bit too hard and resulted in a pinched tube kind of a blow-out. (Went down pretty good that day.)m Good tire for off-road, but maybe the side walls could be stiffened a bit.
Dutch1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #38
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Usually how many miles can you get out of TKC80 on the front? Thanks.
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #39
SouthWestRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
Usually how many miles can you get out of TKC80 on the front? Thanks.
I get 8k on the front and 4k on a rear riding 80/20. Going to try the Karoo 3s when they are available in a month.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
Flashdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
My F700 came with the BattleWings and they look like pretty much a road tire. As do most of the so-called adventure tires. It's fine with me because I can only really go on smoother roads. (bad back, 4 surgeries) Are they any better than say a standard sport touring tire on fire service type roads? The K60s look more appropriate for off-road but the hard compound and tread design seems sketchy for fast turns on tarmac although they last. What about the Enduro Sahara 3s? Would that be a good compremise? How bad are the Battlewings compared to the other adventure type tires?
Flashdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #41
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,282
I survived the dirt, mud, and ice. But the BattleWings are all I've ever ridden offroad on so I have nothing to compare them to. It was pretty dicey at times though!

I like the look of those K60's a lot but dont care for the reviews on pavement, which is where I spend 80% of the time, if not more.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #42
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
For a really long road trip I love the Anakee 2. If you don't need to get 8000 miles out of a set I like the Battlewings, they aren't too bad on gravel and dirt, great in the twisties, and decent in rain. Soft rubber, I heard its the same mix as is the BT020 which was a fantastic sport touring tire. A little cheaper than the anakees and tourances as well. I only get about 5000 miles out of them tho.

And for the record I have tried every air pressure in the book and I still seem to wear the fronts out at the same time on most every tire I tried on the Beemer. Just don't know what to say about that.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote