ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
PAlittlematty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Durty Dabbers National Dual Sport Ride June 7-8

Just checking in to see who may be or is coming to the event this year. We were unsure whether or not we would even hae it but things worked out in our favor. So who's in? Any questions or info may be answered here... Www.durtydabbers.com
PAlittlematty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
jms78
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I'm in.

I'd have been bummed if you guys scrapped it. I've already reserved a campsite at the state park for that weekend.
jms78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
jkm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I read the comments on your website. Looks like the DCNR is giving you problems. Not surprised.
Every rider I know appreciates the hard work the D-Dabbers do making this ride happen.
Entry sent....jkm
jkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
racerron
dysfunctional

Oddometer: 508
This is the event i've been waitin for.

Can't wait for the night time

I'll be there, rain or shine.

Thanks for all the hard work, heard about the problems you had this year.
racerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 536
Count me in! I already had the trip planned.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 210
It is on my ride schedule.
dhb400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Looksgoodinblack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,957
The lookingood team will be there
'04 DL 650, '87 BMW K75 with Hannigan Astro Sports car, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
glass3222
StromTrooper

Oddometer: 79
What time does the ride start on Saturday?
glass3222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #9
jkm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass3222 View Post
What time does the ride start on Saturday?
11:00am
jkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
jaked308
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I'll be there for sure!
jaked308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,111
Always on my list.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:10 AM   #12
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
[QUOTE=PAlittlematty;24025835]Just checking in to see who may be or is coming to the event this year. We were unsure whether or not we would even hae it but things worked out in our favor. So who's in? Any questions or info may be answered here... Www.durtydabbers.com[/QUOTE]

Below is information on the outcome of all the problems with the DCNR concerning three Dual Sports and three Enduro Races held on state forest land. Thanks to PaOHV, PaTRA, and SPER the implementation of the Motorized Special Event Guidelines hit a speed bump.

.................................................. ................................

PaOHV, Key Legislators Meet with DCNR
PaOHV and its legislative allies met with DCNR officials in the Capitol on March 24 to discuss the DCNR?s Guidelines for Motorized Events and dirt bike registration. Representative Mike Regan (R-Dillsburg) initiated the meeting after hearing complaints and concerns from South Penn Enduro Riders? members and PaOHV representatives about the Guidelines and the need for dirt bike registration.
The March 24th meeting covered two very important and involved issues.
PaOHV thanks Rep. Regan for his rapid response in coordinating the session. Rep. Regan teamed with Rep. Dan Moul (R-Gettysburg) and Rep. Tallman (R- Abbottstown) to include Rep. Mark Keller (R-New Bloomfield), and Rep. Erin Molchany (D-Pittsburgh). All House members were present. Likewise staff representing Rep. Tallman, Sen. Richard Alloway (R-Chambersburg) and U.S. Congressman Scott Perry at Denny Mann?s request (R-Dillsburg) attended. Rep. Moul chaired the meeting.
Guidelines for Motorized Activity
DCNR issued the Guidelines a year ago in response to a Forest Certification audit finding fault with DCNR?s forest management. These new rules are aimed at restricting enduros, dual sport meets and other special events. The Department argues that they are enforcing rules neglected in recent years. PaOHV argues that the Guidelines far exceed the intent of any past benchmark.
The Forest Certification is a forest industry designation that rates a forest for quality. Private industry looks to the certification as a designation of top grade hardwoods. The Certification is issued through the Forest Stewardship Council. According to their website, the FSC is ?a group of businesses, environmentalists and community leaders [who] came together to create the Forest Stewardship Council. Gathered in the first FSC General Assembly in 1993 in Toronto, Canada, the group set out to create a voluntary, market-based approach that would improve forest practices worldwide.?
Enduros have been run for over 40 years in some locations and never has Forest Certification been an issue. Furthermore, it is difficult to understand how a one day event confined to a two foot wide track can negatively impact an entire forest system. These Guidelines jeopardize access to motorized recreation. The economic and charitable benefits of the sport are equally at risk.
DCNR maintains that the Guidelines were part of the corrective action plan necessary to maintain Certification. The Guidelines require clubs to develop three enduro trail systems for use on a rotating basis and that no trails can substantially overlap. The Guidelines prohibit the development of new trails. They set repair and remediation standards. Priority remediation must be executed four days after the event. Other remediation must take place within thirty days.
The Guidelines require a surety bond of $5,000 or $1,000 per acre whichever is greater. At two feet wide, one acre is equal to 4.125 miles of single track trial. The Guidelines do not define trail width so the basis of the bond is uncertain. Nevertheless, Jason Hall of DCNR in communication with Mr. Mann set the standard at three feet. ?For example if the total single track trail segment that has an average 3 foot impact width and is 40 miles long would total 14.5 acres,? Mr. Hall wrote in a May 3013 email. Mr. Hall?s wider trail standard would naturally lead to higher costs.
The Guidelines prohibit new events from being held. Only existing events can take place. There will be no new enduros in Pennsylvania on state forest land. This provision was not recommended in the forest audit. Rather, it was a decision made by Mr. Hall.
No consultations were held with parties affected by the Guidelines. The Department unilaterally opted to move these guidelines without consulting stakeholders arguing that they didn?t have time or need to ask for assistance. Motorized recreation is the only forest user group subjected to similar rules.
The Guidelines also require two extensive environmental impact studies when developing a trail system. The first is the State Forest Environmental Review (SFER) which is the land impact study. The second is the Pennsylvania Natural Diversity Inventory (PNDI) which is the wildlife impact study. The trail must pass both standards before it can be approved.
Representatives Moul and Regan led the discussion about the Guidelines. They voiced concern about the arbitrary and vague nature of them. Mr. Mann from PaOHV spoke of how difficult it is to comply with the guidelines and how they lead to eliminating future enduro competitions. He also explained that existing events could cease as trail miles go offline with little or no ability to replace them. Mr. Mann further noted that the rules are being applied differently by the forest districts. Mr. Mann cited how the language ?no new trails? is interpreted as absolutely no trails, no trails except rerouted trails, or no new trails beyond what is currently planned.
Reps. Moul, Regan, and Keller aggressively objected to the Department?s failure to review the guidelines with stakeholders prior to implementation. The Representatives insisted that stakeholders must be introduced into the process to ensure fairness.
DCNR Deputy Secretary for Parks and Forests, Dan Devlin stated the Department rushed to complete the Guidelines because of an internal dead line and regretted the lack of input from the user groups. It was decided that all affected clubs would be invited to meet in Harrisburg at the Rachael Carson Building in the near future. With the clubs? input, the Guidelines would then be rewritten. Mr. Devlin hoped this would put motorized events on the right track and still comply with the Certified Forest regulations.
Dirt Bike Registration
Dirt bike registration has been a PaOHV objective for some time. Registration would treat dirt bikes like ATVs and Snowmobiles as an officially recognized recreational user of State Forest Land. With this recognition, dirt bike issues would be open for discussion by the Snowmobile/ATV Advisory Committee. This new standing would provide representation for dirt bike issues on state forest land and curtail DCNR rulings without input. Registration will also boost the Snowmobile/ATV fund by roughly $1 million annually.
During the meeting, the House members pressed DCNR officials as to whether the Department would support dirt bike registration. Mr. Devlin remained noncommittal arguing that the details of any bill would determine the Department?s path.
Rep. Regan then announced he will introduce legislation within days to register dirt bikes through DCNR. Representative Moul instantly agreed to be a cosponsor of the Regan registration bill.
Rep. Regan began circulating a cosponsorship memo to his colleagues on March 27.

Action Needed
Contact your members of the House Representatives
Ask them to sponsor the Regan dirt bike registration bill.
Make your request by April 10.
Action Needed
A list of attendees from the March 24 meeting is listed below. All members should write to these legislators to thank them for their efforts on March 24.
Express your appreciation for their leadership on OHV issues.
Pennsylvania House
Representative Mike Regan / Amy Holjes, Chief of Staff, 1 E. Harrisburg St. Dillsburg, PA 17019, (717) 432-0792

Representative Dan Moul, 30 West Middle Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325, (717) 259-7805

Representative Mark Keller, 18 West Main Street, New Bloomfield, PA 17068, (717) 582-8119

Representative Erin Molchany /Alex Pazuchanics, 900 Brookline Blvd, Pittsburgh, PA 15226 (412) 343-2094

Representative Will Tallman by staff, 282 W. King St., Abbottstown, PA 17301, (717) 259-7805

Pennsylvania Senate
Senator Richard Alloway by Staff, Melissa Knepper, Senate Box 203033, Harrisburg, PA 17120-3033, (717) 787-4651

United States Congress
Congressman Scott Perry by staff, 22 Chambersburg Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325, (717)-338-1919

Denny Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
PAlittlematty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Thanks for the info Denny. I didn't get to read the entire post but skimmed it briefly
PAlittlematty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
Denny Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Hb 2220

Just an update the Dirt Bike Registration bill HB 2220 was introduced to the PA House today by Rep. Mike Regan of Dilsburg. This would open up the ATV trails to all of us and we should support the bill.
Denny Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
-Brendan-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I am in and looking forward to this one...
-Brendan- is offline   Reply With Quote