ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
1V-MAN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Any PA Motorcyle Rider Coaches ...

This is a weird request so I'll give a little background frist ...

I am buying a new F800GSA, while shopping around I found a program where BMW is giving $500 worht of gear to anybody making a purchase of a new and unregistered machine.

The keys to the program are:

1) Have to have certificate before signing purchase aggrement

2) No more then 90 days old

3) Now I was told by selling dealer the rebate is only valid for "Basic" course

So BMW is running a program where it's only valid for a buyer making a purchase of a NEW BMW motorcycle and has no license or has a license for no more then 90 days I even asked dealer same thing ... he agrees it looks great on paper but basicly useless!!!!!

So I've been riding street bikes for over 30 years and before that another 10 years or so off road. Even taking an advance riders course won't get me a $500 certificate - really unbelievable.

With all that said, is there a Certified PA Riders Coach willing to ride with me for a few hours and give me a card for basic course completion? I just don't have four days and 15+ hours to go take a course ... also would not want to take a spot for a person that really needs the course to get their license!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,457
I'll forward this link to Ryan, his wife teaches the MSF course. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not. Anyhow, buy you're bike from Gene at Mathias.n

Greg
Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 199
I think what you are asking can get a stamp holder (someone that can give you a valid completion card good for licensing at the DMV) in serious trouble and cost them their MSF job.

If you don't already have your license and are riding without one or are riding on a permit, I suggest taking the class legitimately. I realize it is a couple nights and two half days on the range, but the course is FREE.

falcn screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 11:57 AM
falcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
1V-MAN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I'll forward this link to Ryan, his wife teaches the MSF course. I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not. Anyhow, buy you're bike from Gene at Mathias.n

Greg

Thanks Greg! I'd appreciate the help ... got to get back down WV, I got a WR450 plated now. The WR should make life easier chasing you guys up "water falls"
Old 06-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,457
Hey there,thanks for the input. You got my message or randomly saw this.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcn View Post
I think what you are asking can get a stamp holder (someone that can give you a valid completion card good for licensing at the DMV) in serious trouble and cost them their MSF job.

If you don't already have your license and are riding without one or are riding on a permit, I suggest taking the class legitimately. I realize it is a couple nights and two half days on the range, but the course is FREE.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
1V-MAN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Just to clear things up ... I am not asking for anything under handed or shady at all!! A certified instructor is within his/her rights to sign off completion paperwork. I would be willing to do any type of ride exercise to satisfy the instructors obligations. I was trying not to fill up valuable spots in the riders course that a new rider would need for an old guy like me that has been LICENSED since I was 15 years old ... that's over 33 years licensed and riding offroad long before that.

It seemed wasteful and iggnorant of me to occupy a class seat just to meet a BMW incentive program ... I didn't want to loose $500 in incentive so I am signed up for a class on Saturday in Oakdale, PA. One less seat for new rider ... I need to card, not the license!!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
1V-MAN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Greg

Randomly saw it! Where did you send message too? Nothing in PM or E-Mail??
Old 06-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:

Greg
Greg,
I saw your message on FB.

1V-MAN,

I hope I am not coming across as thinking you are trying to be underhanded. I am just pointing things out from the 'lawyer'/bureaucracy perspective of MSF liability and what they would do to an instructor that gave a completion card outside of class.

MSF instructor feedback:
Yes, Ryan is correct. You cannot get a completion card without taking the full course including passing both the knowledge and skills test (which will get you a license if you don't have one). This incentive from BMW is obviously targeting new riders who do not have good (or any) gear and may not get any due to the cost since they just spent a bunch on a bike. Any MSF instructor that would give you a completion card without taking the course would lose their job if found out.

Think of it this way - if a card was issued to someone after not completing the class and they were then in a motorcycle accident, that is a huge issue. I've taught many people who have been riding 30+ years and every single one of them has gotten something out of the class. It's easy and free and we'll get you $500 towards gear. Only costs you some time.

Also in addition to the $500 gear discount, a completion card can be good for insurance discounts depending on your insurance company.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
1V-MAN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Greg,
I saw your message on FB.

1V-MAN,

I hope I am not coming across as thinking you are trying to be underhanded. I am just pointing things out from the 'lawyer'/bureaucracy perspective of MSF liability and what they would do to an instructor that gave a completion card outside of class.

MSF instructor feedback:
Yes, Ryan is correct. You cannot get a completion card without taking the full course including passing both the knowledge and skills test (which will get you a license if you don't have one). This incentive from BMW is obviously targeting new riders who do not have good (or any) gear and may not get any due to the cost since they just spent a bunch on a bike. Any MSF instructor that would give you a completion card without taking the course would lose their job if found out.

Think of it this way - if a card was issued to someone after not completing the class and they were then in a motorcycle accident, that is a huge issue. I've taught many people who have been riding 30+ years and every single one of them has gotten something out of the class. It's easy and free and we'll get you $500 towards gear. Only costs you some time.

Also in addition to the $500 gear discount, a completion card can be good for insurance discounts depending on your insurance company.
I agree rider courses are a great thing to have no matter what your experience happens to be. I have taken them in the past, last was an advance course but probably 5 years ago maybe more. I give PA huge kudos for providing the classes for FREE (I paid for mine) ... that was a huge surprise to me. What I was trying to get across, and I may have failed in my attempt is that BMW will not honor an advanced riders course (for this incentive - regardless of when it was taken) and they will not honor what is now called Begginers Riders Course 2 (from my experience it used to be called Experienced Riders Course). They will only honor the BG Course PERIOD as it was relayed to me via the dealer. I don't think there is alot for me to learn in the BG course ...

I was more then happy to take any written test and riding test, like I said before. Whatever it would have taken to satisfy the ride instructor.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to get the answers you did. Typed words don't always come across the way you want them too. No worries on my end and hopefully I didn't offend you either.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
falcn
Squidless Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1V-MAN View Post
I agree rider courses are a great thing to have no matter what your experience happens to be. I have taken them in the past, last was an advance course but probably 5 years ago maybe more. I give PA huge kudos for providing the classes for FREE (I paid for mine) ... that was a huge surprise to me. What I was trying to get across, and I may have failed in my attempt is that BMW will not honor an advanced riders course (for this incentive - regardless of when it was taken) and they will not honor what is now called Begginers Riders Course 2 (from my experience it used to be called Experienced Riders Course). They will only honor the BG Course PERIOD as it was relayed to me via the dealer. I don't think there is alot for me to learn in the BG course ...

I was more then happy to take any written test and riding test, like I said before. Whatever it would have taken to satisfy the ride instructor.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to get the answers you did. Typed words don't always come across the way you want them too. No worries on my end and hopefully I didn't offend you either.

I understood. I think they are trying to help out new riders and the rest of us guys be damned.

No worries here.