User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
PNWadvRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wink Blessed by Sand and Mud

Heyoooo, so this is a quick story of how yours truly managed to get his baby horrendously stuck in the mud and sand. I'm not exactly sure what forum this fits in as it wasn't really even a day trip so much as a quick ride, or it was supposed to be quick anyway.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, maybe you'll learn something.. mostly you'll probably just laugh.

So this last Sunday we finally had a break in the weather here in the beautiful Pacific North Wet. We had a mighty storm about a week and a half ago with lots of wind and rain. Trees littered the streets and ponds became lakes. Power was out for days. After this storm we had about a good week of nothing for rainy days.

So this last Sunday we finally have a clear day, clear meaning clouds littering the sky, but hey it wasn't raining!

So I get all my errands done for the day and I think to myself, hey why don't I go for a quick ride before heading to a friends house to watch the game... This is where it all went horribly wrong.

I head out to my regular spot, some old logging roads in the woods across the street from my house. I'm riding along happy as can be climbing over fallen debris and the occasional fallen tree, as well as smashing though some puddles. All accumulated from the fore mentioned storm.

I continue to plod along the trail till I get to one of my favorite spots, an old abandoned gravel quarry. Its cleared of all the trees in about a 2 mile diameter and has a couple hard packed dirt/gravel roads running though it. One with a little hill which acts as a jump for yours truly. As well as a bunch of stumps and dead wood off the roads, I get to traverse around and over.

So I go up and down the road a few times and decide it would be fun to go off the road into the forest of stumps. This is where I quickly learn that the gravel pit I've been riding for the past month and a half, is not the friendly giant I had once thought. But rather it had become an evil and unforgiving mud pit. I get off one of the roads which goes into the middle of this forest of stumps, I get a whole 10 ft... and the rest well..

[img=http://s29.postimg.org/ixsjxinxv/downsized_1221141642.jpg]

This is a picture I snapped after struggling with the bike for almost an hour. The only thing I succeeded in was burying it about a foot deeper then I had been in the first place. Quick tip for anyone who doesn't know, when your in sand and mud, don't wiggle the bike.. get some damn braces under it first thing to prevent it from going any deeper. Anyway after about an hour of struggling and daylight almost completely gone, I call in the cavalry. Rescue takes about 30 minutes to get there, by which time its completely dark out. We struggle with the bike for a good hour realizing we're getting no where. The mud and water is filling in the hole faster then we can dig it out. We resign and promise to come back with greater forces and proper tools. Sadly and grudgingly I leave my poor baby girl alone.. in the dark.. half covered in mud. But this was not the end.

Fast forward 2 days and I've convinced some helping hands to make there way out (thank god for family, specifically brothers in my case). Its fortunately been clear and partly sunny those days so the mud has had a little time to dry a bit. We get out gear and people out to the bike and get to working.

Here's the setup and game plan we had going.

[img=http://s18.postimg.org/q3mloeu2t/downsized_1223141432.jpg]

Basically we had two empty water barrels on both sides on the bike with wood planks under the barrels, straps on the rear tire, and a winch hooked to the straps. We tried to winch it out but the force of the suction of the mud and water was just too much. So we bailed on the whole idea and started attempting to simply dig out the back wheel. We dug and we dug and we dug and the mud and water kept on filling back in. We were getting no where and an hour and a half had already passed. A couple helping hands had to go as they were on a timeline. Now were two hands short and not an inch closer to getting my baby out. To top it all off, its starts to rain.

I'm feeling pretty discouraged at this point. My brother, heroically decides he is going to get his trunk as close as he can to the bike so we can pull it out that way. I say heroically because this is a mud pit. I was rather against the idea as the only thing I could imagine worse then not getting my bike out, was getting his truck stuck. But he was determined and so after moving a bunch of branches and stumps to clear a path for the trunk, he gets it within 50ft of the bike. That's as far as it would go as the mud just got too muddy and wet after that. We hooked a rope to the hitch of the trunk, tied a strap around the front tire, and hooked the winch in between to try and winch it out that direction.

Only to discover the winch had somehow gotten the steel wires in it tangled up. Great winch is totally useless now. So we take off the winch and just attempt to pull the bike out with the trunk. But we are very mindful that if we spin the wheels on the trunk were gonna be stuck with two vehicles instead just one. So a cycle of slowly pulling the bike, and digging the bike out begins. Pull the bike, stop. Dig dig dig. Pull the bike, stop. Dig dig dig. By now its dark out. While were making some progress its going too slow. My brother has to be at work in 3 hours and lives 1 hour away. So in a example of Hercules strength and determination my brother gets out of the truck and goes he-man on digging. We get the back tire 3/4 of the way out and just start pulling and pushing as hard as we can to get it out. He lets out a mighty yell and the tire lifts out of the ground! Hallelujahhhhhhhhhhh! But were not out of the water yet!

This is a critical moment! Hes got it out of the water but hes about to lose strength. I jump in with the last burst of strength and get the bike pushed out of the hole and laid next to what I will forever on be referring to as the depths of Hades. I can hardly believe it. We look at one another and simply let out some beastly shouts of achievement. Some "TAKE THAT" and some "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOI" are shouted. High fives ensue. Much laughter is had.

We pull the bike all the way out and quickly get to cleaning up all the tools. Get the bulk off the mud off the rear tire and the chain so we can push it to the road, as I don't want to start it knowing that there is mud in the muffler, and possibly the carb, and god I hope not the engine. But I know its a possibility. We get it loaded up into the trunk and head home for a well deserved meal and sitting infront of the fire.

All I can say is I am so grateful to have family willing to help me out because no one else was. (Perhaps its time to find some friends who would be willing...) I've learned some lessons. And my bike is in major need of some TLC. I hope all I need to do is clean up the chain, take off the muffler and the carb and give those a thorough cleaning. Hoping the electrical wasn't messed up sitting in the water for over a day. But that will all have to wait for tomorrow. And I really really hope none of that crud got in the engine because I haven't a clue how to go about repairing that. All in all I'm just glad my baby girl is back home. So I hope you all can learn from and enjoy my mistakes haha. Sorry I didn't take more pictures of the process or the bike when it got home but it was pouring and getting dark and really all I had in my mind at the time was getting it out and getting home. Thanks for reading everybody.

officially an adventure bike
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032490
PNWadvRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #2
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Dang, man! We have regular occurrences like that here in eastern NC. I actually have a friend that left a Jeep CJ-7 to die alone in what we call the "river lowgrounds" because they couldn't get it out....no trees to hook a winch to, just mucky-muck for almost a mile. He inquired about a helicopter, but it would cost more than the Jeep was worth to hire the helicopter.

You at least had fun, didn't ya?
Old 12-24-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
RamMan4x4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
That's a good story...glad to hear you got it out. Also, be thankful you have a DR350 and not a DR650 because the 650 would probably still be there

You may want to inspect your forks for potential damage (i.e. compress them and see if there are any sticking points)...if I read correctly you hooked a strap from the front tire of the 350 to the hitch on your brothers truck. That's an awful lot of bending load on the fork tubes. For future reference it is best to try to attach a strap to the lower triple tree.
RamMan4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
onurleft
MTB'r on a DS

Oddometer: 11
I'm afeared to go out now...
onurleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
PNWadvRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMan4x4 View Post
That's a good story...glad to hear you got it out. Also, be thankful you have a DR350 and not a DR650 because the 650 would probably still be there

You may want to inspect your forks for potential damage (i.e. compress them and see if there are any sticking points)...if I read correctly you hooked a strap from the front tire of the 350 to the hitch on your brothers truck. That's an awful lot of bending load on the fork tubes. For future reference it is best to try to attach a strap to the lower triple tree.
Yeah I actually forgot to add to the original post that after the first couple pulls on the front tire that's exactly what we did. Took off the gas tank and tied the strap around three points on the frame. I assume that's what the lower triple tree is. I'll defiantly still check the fork tubes though thanks for the tips. Any advice on what to do if some water/mud got into the engine. I'm gonna take out the muffler and carb and give it a good cleaning but the engine.. that's uncharted territory for me. Dunno if you've seen it, but I watched the series "long way around" and in Russia one of the guys got his engine full of water and I forget what he did to fix the issue. Is there a way to check without starting the bike?

officially an adventure bike
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032490
PNWadvRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,939

MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Glad you got it out. Few people understand how tiring it can be to "ride" a motorcycle.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote