User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
rich_mc OP
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Relaxing and Rambling a Street Triple on the BRP

I'm generally used to doing longer rides, but the fact that I don't currently have a big tourer or even really a plan made this a trip without much direction...

Few months ago I asked my buddy Lael if he wanted to go on a trip this summer. Said he had about 5 weeks of vacation to use, so, ummm...Yes.

Shortly later he found out about a concert he thought sounded like fun in Nashville, so ideas started to hatch...And a general plan was made - Leave Ohio, ride Blue Ridge Parkway, and then screw around a few days getting to Nashville - attend the concert, then ride home...

Day 1
I had to work half a day, but managed to get out shortly before lunch - rushed home, packed, and then headed out...Lael was already packed and waiting at my house...

Rode from Urbana, Ohio to Weston, WV that day...Took a recommendation from some of the ADV in Ohio thread guys and rode US 33 that direction...Good times....

Made it to Weston to find there was nothing to eat near a hotel except a little pizza joint...Pizza was decent, but they had a 2 beer per customer limit, so we got our 2, took the pizza to go, and picked up some Yuengling on the walk back to the hotel....

Final tally for the day was 261 miles...

2011 Connie 1400

rich_mc screwed with this post 06-11-2011 at 05:41 PM
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
rich_mc OP
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Day 2

We had stayed at a Super 8 in Weston and woke up slightly hung over, but not bad...

Headed on down 33 until we hit Skyline Blvd and the guardshack where we got the privilege of paying $10 each to ride 40 miles south

Seneca Rocks

Skyline Blvd

Me

Found a Best Western in Roanoke, VA that night with a steakhouse & saloon next door.... We were in the mood for Patron and really wanted Mexican, but none was within walking distance.... Still got the Patron, but had to pretend the steak was a burrito...

Had too many of these and the hangover was a bit stronger the next morning..

Day 326 / Trip 588

2011 Connie 1400
Old 06-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
rich_mc OP
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Woke up in the morning and found this in the hotel room...Figured it'd make a good trip mascot, so he was taken along for the ride...

Day 3 was spent almost exclusively on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and it was spectacular... People complain often about the 45 mph speed limit, but we managed to never see a Ranger except right at the Welcome sign....

Found this place about the time we were ready for lunch and gas.... Gal behind the counter was very friendly

Tasty sammich

Waiting around outside for Lael and found a spot for the duck to ride...

Few more pics from the BRP that day...

Stuck waiting in construction on the BRP

Stopped at a Motel 6 in Asheville - which was undoubtedly the winner of the "Ugliest Hotel Comforter Contest"...

Finally found Mexican food too...and ritas....and more tequila....

Finally staggered back to the hotel late, but not before stopping for more tasty beverages at the gas station and remembering the garage decor I bought that day....

Day 306 / Trip 895

2011 Connie 1400
Old 06-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
rich_mc OP
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Woke up the next morning to find the sun shining....again....

Finished the Blue Ridge that day and stopped down in Cherokee, NC to decide where to go from there.... We've got a buddy who lives over in Gatlinburg, so we decided to take the 30 mile ride over Newfound Gap and visit him...

Sole pic from riding that day...

Got to Gatlinburg and decided we're lazy...Found a really decent hotel (Mountain House Motor Inn)..Service was friendly, room was clean, they had a guest laundry facility, a pool, and it was only $53...

Short day of riding, but decided to do laundry, take a nap, take in some of the tourist town "scenery" , and of course beer...

Met up with our friend from Gatlinburg for dinner and spent a couple hours shooting the shit...

Day 122 / Trip 1016

2011 Connie 1400
Old 06-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
rich_mc OP
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

We didn't need to be in Nashville until Day 6, so we decided to take advantage of the spectacularly nice and cheap hotel again, and chose to ride locally and stay in Gatlinburg again that night...

Rode through the Smoky Mountain NP, Foothills Parkway, did Deal's Gap, and did the Cherohala Skyway...

I've done Deal's Gap a bunch of times and every time I say it'll be the last.. I used to enjoy it a lot when the shop was smaller and the crowds were less, but now it just doesn't seem to interest me at all...

Cherohala, on the other hand, is as close to perfect as I can imagine....

No riding pics that day, but we did waste time in Gat again that night...

Appetizers @ Hellbender Grill...

Sweetwater Blue

Pizza @ the Mellow Mushroom...

Day 5 231 / Trip 1247

2011 Connie 1400
Old 06-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
rich_mc OP
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Day 6 was just a freeway blast from Gatlinburg over to Nashville...We were slated to see Darius Rucker that evening @ the Wildhorse Saloon and wanted to get there early enough to be able to clean up and get dinner, etc...

Few pics from the evening...

View from Hotel Indigo in downtown Nashville

Printer's Alley was right next to our hotel, and it had plenty to do...

Stopped in to Bourbon Street Blues Bar... I liked this place...I think I should buy a bar here @ home and make it similar... Saw these two perform early in the day...

Kitchen wasn't open yet @ Bourbon Street, so we left after a pitcher of Abita in search of dinner...Stopped in to BB King's and the whipped me up a catfish po-boy...

Made our way to the Wildhorse for the Darius and Friends show...

Show was decent, but started late and was pretty short - I think we both wish'd we were back at the blues bar instead, so headed back that way after the Darius show...

Printer's Alley is more interesting after dark...

Stopped back into Bourbon Street Blues and listened to Reverend Zack for a while... First time I'd ever seen the lead singer of a band play harmonica and drums...Unusual combo, but they rocked it...

http://youtu.be/UgEbE86A6Y8

Not a video I took, but one I found of them...

Day 6 224 / Trip 1471

2011 Connie 1400
Old 06-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
rich_mc OP
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Day 7 was the roughest morning yet, which is good since it was to be the longest day of riding...I had to get back to work the next morning, so it was just going to be a freeway blast Nash-Louisville-Cincy-Home...

Goodbye Nashville - I enjoyed your hospitality and will be back again soon...

After grabbing some grease at WH to improve the stomach situation...

The ride home was the regular old ride, then gas, then gatorade, then ride again... Did finally make it to 99 degrees out at one point

Got home and parked the bike outside the gate...My bike garage is behind the house and you have to go through the gate to get to it... Walking it over there and CRAP...

Fortunately only broke a brake lever and a turn signal...All else was good.......Too bad I had tallied a total of 1837 mile for the week, and then choose to dump it walking the last 10 feet to the garage....

Anyway, that's it...nothing too exciting, but a nice relaxing and fun week for me....

2011 Connie 1400
Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
RandyG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Sounds like a great time!
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #9
rich_mc OP
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
Sounds like a great time!
Thanks...it was a great time.... was fun to do a shorter, more relaxing trip than the 600ish mile per day trips I've normally done in the past.... I did find there's more good riding closer to home than I thought....

2011 Connie 1400
Old 06-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
you DO live in a beautiful area of the country
thanks for the great ride report
sorry about the "fall" at the end of the trip
and....
i hope that your LIVER survived the experience..... ....
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
alowishus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Bee stings!? We don't need no stinkin' bee stings!

Who is this "Lael" guy you speak of? He sounds pretty cool!
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
alowishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,688
Wish these photos worked
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote