User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
Ohio to Holden Beach on a ZX-14

Although this was a week long trip I thought it belonged here, because it was more of a 2 day ride, spend a week on the beach, then another 2 day ride.

My girlfriend's dad rents a house on the beach every year in the first week of may. It's before tourist season, so the rates are reasonable and the beach is pretty empty. He gets a 5 bedroom, 4 bath house for $1700, one week. Not cheap, but considering the price of hotel rooms for everyone I think it's fair. Plus you save money on entertainment and food, considering you have a large living room and complete kitchen, with utensils.

Anyways, I was planning on taking the FJR but at the last minute I started second guessing the tire life. I then switched plans and started packing the Sportster up, and the girlfriend told me that she was just going to ride in the car with her parents, so I was to be riding by myself. That sealed the deal, time for the first trip on the big Ninja.

The bike had fairly new PR2's mounted, 3/4" risers, and I had just installed a C-14 seat found on e-bay a few days prior. The night before leaving I fabbed up a quick garmin mount, and wired in a cigarete lighter for power. I used my phone with FM radio, that part sucked. I was wishing I had hooked up my satellite radio, and I would have liked a bigger windshield. The wind problem was doubled by the fact that I had a junk helmet on. My shoei was dropped on concrete and broke the visor, and I'm currently using an old fulmer that never did fit right and was lightly wrecked in once. Shouldn't have even worn it really, but it was all I had available at the time.

Day one:

I had wanted to leave around 5 or 6 am, but a letter came in the mail thursday night reminding me that I needed to pay a ticket by the next thursday. I was already late, and they were going to put a warrant out. So that morning I went to the courthouse at 8, hoping they'd be open. They weren't. Had a long breakfast, came back at 9. By 9:30 the receptionist said that if I didn't want to wait I could come back in the afternoon, and he didn't know where the lady I needed to talk to was. She finally got there at 10, said she had a doctor appointment and forgot to tell anyone. So instead of leaving at 6 I finally hit the road about 11 or so.

Had to hit the highway some to make time, but I did manage to ride about 50% of 2 lane. Took PA 18 south to washington PA, then rode 19 to Princeton WV. 18 had some traffic but wasn't too bad. 19 was a fairly good road, rough in spots, but overall a good ride. Got slowed down a few times by small towns and trucks. From Princeton I ran highway to Mt Airy NC and met up with everyone else.

Loaded up to leave finally

Random house I saw that was interesting. It looked like it was planned to be a memorial of some sort, I don't know what the deal was. The grass was taken care of, a plaque thing was erected, and the house was overrun with weeds.

Here's a small detour I made at the New River Gorge bridge. They give tours, I guess there's a catwalk under the bridge and you can walk the span directly under the traffic. Wish I'd been able to do it, seemed like it'd be interesting.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2:

For some reason I didn't take one picture the whole day. I guess I was excited to get there. Rode mostly highway, stopped at one car show for a little while and ate some good food at a few hole-in-the-wall places. Got there about 4 or 5 and laid around watching the waves go.

Days 3-7:

Spent most of the time at the beach, either fishing or swimming. I should have taken pictures of this but I bought a small inflatable boat for $20 and went out into the ocean with it a few times. I probably looked like an idiot, I was every bit of 1/2 mile out in a small yellow boat with toy oars. I didn't catch one fish, but everyone else did. You can see in the pictures all of the baby sharks, they were biting good for a little while on the pier. Larry (the older guy) was next to me and probably caught 10 to 15 sharks in 4 hours. I used the same bait, same style hooks, and was casting in the same area. Nothing.

Looking at the ocean from the front porch:

The girlfriend:

Small pier: (not the one we fished from)

Chris's fish, caught from the beach. Noone had much luck fishing off the beach, but we tried.

Random shark pics. One guy down the pier caught a 3' one, and later on the same guy caught a skate. (ugly square thing, weird looking)

Old 05-13-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 8. Leaving:

I left a day earlier than everyone else. They were making the drive back in one day, and I didn't feel like sitting on the highway for 700+ miles.

Road in NC. The ninja was not happy about this one, all sand. The center was packed hard, then the farther out you went the softer it got. It took me a few tries to find a spot to put the side stand down, it kept sinking.

Here's just some random road pics from that day. I don't know the route I was on, I just made it up as I went.

I met up with pfestus1 at his home just south of Roanoke, VA, via the tent space sign-up thread. Thanks again Hank for letting me camp at your place. Him and his wife treated me to dinner and a few beers, and we talked bikes in his garage for a bit. Hank has a 07 GS that he rode to alaska, and 2 older BMW's in great shape. One he restored, and the other he's owned since the 70's and had ridden it to work that morning. Sorry but I forget the years.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 9:

Went home the rest of the way. Rode on the BRP for a little while, and a few Virginia backroads through the George Washington forest. For the last hour I jumped on the highway, the road I had planned on riding in that section is very tight and slow moving, I was ready to just get home and call it a day. These are just some random pics, no particular order.