ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Thanks for the input and info ADV trio.... I dont know what is going on either. I was on one of my favorite FS roads and found some workers putting up gates across 2 main accesses. I stopped and talked to them and they said I was lucky to come by right then because they were locking them when they left. I thanked them for letting me through, rode off noticing an easy way around the gate.... Public lands, I say. You know your way around Siskiyou Co. well, what do you think of the camping around middle McCloud Falls for a rally? Pretty central, you can go toward Shasta or the other way toward Lassen...
Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
Adventure Trio
GS'r

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Thanks for the input and info ADV trio.... I dont know what is going on either. I was on one of my favorite FS roads and found some workers putting up gates across 2 main accesses. I stopped and talked to them and they said I was lucky to come by right then because they were locking them when they left. I thanked them for letting me through, rode off noticing an easy way around the gate.... Public lands, I say. You know your way around Siskiyou Co. well, what do you think of the camping around middle McCloud Falls for a rally? Pretty central, you can go toward Shasta or the other way toward Lassen...

At Fowler camp? Beautiful spot and easy access to all areas mentioned. You get my vote.

As for the gates, was there any discussion as to why they were putting up a gate? This appears to be happening at an alarming rate. I don't know how they are able to do this on a public road. The "you don't belong up there" attitude of the forest service doesn't help.

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Trio View Post
At Fowler camp? Beautiful spot and easy access to all areas mentioned. You get my vote.

As for the gates, was there any discussion as to why they were putting up a gate? This appears to be happening at an alarming rate. I don't know how they are able to do this on a public road. The "you don't belong up there" attitude of the forest service doesn't help.

-Terry
Thanks Terry, Fowlers it is.... Keep an eye out after M-day, I have a few interested in a rally up here in our neck-of-the-woods and even just a small get together this year can get us ready for an inaugural "Jefferson State Rally" next year. All I got from the FS workers were "limiting access" and like you, a bit of attitude that I didn't need to be there anyway...
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Adventure Trio
GS'r

Quote:
Thanks Terry, Fowlers it is.... Keep an eye out after M-day, I have a few interested in a rally up here in our neck-of-the-woods and even just a small get together this year can get us ready for an inaugural "Jefferson State Rally" next year. All I got from the FS workers were "limiting access" and like you, a bit of attitude that I didn't need to be there anyway...
Sounds great. Hopefully we can make it. Our Great Divide trip starts mid June and goes to mid July.

I have seen Captain Ron post info in the past about these types of closures and limiting access. I will PM him and see if he has more info. He seemed very knowledgeable about this topic.

It is maddening though....some of my favorite routes are closed off for no apparent reason. I do see that the logging companies have had a hand in this though.

We are heading to McCloud on Friday for the weekend and I'll be asking around for more info.

-Terry
Old 05-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

I have not been restricted or kicked off any routes yet so I am just concerned.... Let me know when you will be back. Maybe August would be a good month.... Any suggestions from interested inmates would be welcome!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,720
I agree with you Brian...

regarding the logging companies. Seems the roads that are being closed are roads that go through land that they own, also eliminates the forest service from having to maintain the roads. These are public service roads and we are supposed to be able to have access to them. It really bothers me where we're going with all of this. Tax dollars? one day I just may opt out of paying taxes, quit my job, let the government support me like so many others do and retreat to my property up in the "State of Jefferson" SOB's are pissing me off.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
Bike Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
OK Dave, sounds great! Reddog it would be a pleasure to add you to the list.... I dont expect a big turnout this year but we can use it as a scouting expedition... I think a good name for it would be "Jefferson State Rally" though... Lets see over the next couple/few weeks how many of us and others can come. If it is just a few of us so be it!! I think we could put together some awesome rides up here.

B
have an interest and will be watching for more info..
Bike Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #23
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
regarding the logging companies. Seems the roads that are being closed are roads that go through land that they own, also eliminates the forest service from having to maintain the roads. These are public service roads and we are supposed to be able to have access to them. It really bothers me where we're going with all of this. Tax dollars? one day I just may opt out of paying taxes, quit my job, let the government support me like so many others do and retreat to my property up in the "State of Jefferson" SOB's are pissing me off.
It seems we are on the verge of a revolution. Glutton government taking the freedoms so many of us, and our sons and daughters have fought for. The gap between the have and have nots is growing at an alarming rate. It is easy to throw our arms up and say "oh, well, there is nothing I can do to change it." For our way of life to continue it MUST change.... I fear a global financial meltdown in the near future, possibly driving our way of life back a century or two, if only temporarily. It may be a harsh necessity to bring us to our senses.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #24
Adventure Trio
GS'r

I ran in to a a national forest fire employee yesterday while out on Pilgrim Creek road and stopped to ask a few questions. We inquired about the amount of locked gates that are going up and why. He was the most polite and informative person that I have spoken to. He said that the gates have been put up where the roads cross through private property, which is what we figured was going on. I asked about the easements that may be in place giving access via these roads through the private property. He answered that more than 50% of the gates that have been put up are illegal and the land owners are told to take them down when those are found. Sometimes they move the gates 50 yards and put them back up for the process to begin again. He also mentioned that there are people within the Forest Service that are working to find out which easements are still in place so they can react with certainty to which are legal on not. He also said that some of his favorite deer hunting routes had been locked up and he was in agreement with our concerns and annoyed of these closures.

Here in the Shasta/Trinity & Modoc NF there are a few closures that block escape routes if there was a fire on the other side of the "loop" routes that many people use. I plan to get in touch with the head ranger here in McCloud and ask who in the FS is looking in to the easement status so we can all stay on top of this. This would encompass the other NF areas we all use Klamath, Medocino, Modoc, etc.

Please feel free to chime in if someone here knows better than I.

-Terry
Old 05-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Good info Terry! I got a similar speel when trying to access Backbone Road when I came to a gate. I doubled back and asked a couple of "residents" about the gate and he said "all this land has been bought and there is no longer access", it was obvious he did not want me there. I turned around and took another route with no issues (until the gate at McCandless Gulch and the FS guys). If I have a FS map and it shows a road I feel I have a right to be there.
I plan on heading up to Fowler CG and the general area to get a feel of how a rally in the area could work. If you or any others want to go, lets try to get a good timeframe that will work for everyone. I am busy this weekend at Shasta Lake monitoring all the partying but want to get up there soon...

Happy Memorial Day everyone !!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #26
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Iam watching this thread Brian, thanks for doing all of the leg work and recon rides for this Ride/Rally. Me and hopefully my brother-in-law can make this run. Thanks
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #27
Adventure Trio
GS'r

Keep me posted Brian. I will help in any way possible even if I can't be here if we are gone. I have a few others local to the area that have as much if not more knowledge than I in routing etc.

-Terry
Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

WRC51.. Saw your post of your NorCal ride on the bridge... Where was that and where was I? We have some of the best riding in the U.S. and we deserve, and can make, a bad ass rally we can be proud of. I WILL be in Hat Creek on June 17th and can make it a full weekend.... A few of us are watching this thread. A small recon group, or a large party (did I say that?) would be welcome this year. June is early for some of the higher FS roads, isn't it?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #29
Adventure Trio
GS'r

Most of the roads above 5500 feet are still closed due to snow but that could change with some heat.

-Terry
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #30
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Ride

I am ready, But I can't wait till later. lets go tomarrow, I just got back from a Wildwood run. and my next trip will begin after lunch, if I wait that long. Close the door on your way out. If your at lake Siskiyou, follow that road around the lake and up the hill. It will dump you into the Trinity area and you can come back out and hit the Freeway at Caslte Craggs. Or any number of areas. I ride so keep me up to speed. I am a little slow with the computer so a PM might get my attention. Please treat my backyard with respect. And Gates, well thats why I ride a motorcycle.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote