ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
arbrlvr
Santa Rosa, CA

Oddometer: 81
Politics?

Im pretty interested by this new rally forming. I lived in Shasta County for five years and am familiar with alot of great riding there although it seems gates and angry folks seem to be in abundance. Im just curious as to whether or not this will become a political event or some kind of right wing, Tea Party type event. It seems every event I ever tried to participate in around Shasta county for fun became political. I like to ride to generally get away from all this type of stuff. Between the new name of the event being called Jefferson State and the discussions seeming to get political i just thought I would ask. If it is going that route I guess thats fine as long as everyone wanting to participate is aware. The riding does sound fun
I still have a great place to stay near Lassen and a few good friends there that would love to join in I think
arbrlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #32
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
I have no intention of it being the slightest bit political. We are here to ride, BS, trade stories, eat, drink, etc. State of Jefferson to me is just a geographical location and lets ones who know that it is in NorCal/ Southern Oregon area. My first rally was the Mendo rally earlier this month and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Everyone was nice, polite, and respectful to each other, that is what I expect and hope others expect the same. I just saw no rallies that took advantage of our area and the great riding up here and wanted to start something in our neck of the woods.... I was going to head to the McCloud area and camp the weekend of the 16th-17th but can find no available sites for that time. I might just stay in Burney and ride in from there. ANYONE with ideas, info, nice rides from fire roads to single track are urged to share them by posting or meeting up for a day or two recon ride.
I am glad to see interest in this rally. It might be a bit late to get a good organized ride together this year but if we can get some of us together we can get a feel for the best group camping, planned routes, etc.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #33
arbrlvr
Santa Rosa, CA

Oddometer: 81
Sounds like a great event with a lot of potential
arbrlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Dunsmuir

McCloud is a nice area. It offers good riding. And if your set on this area I have a friend that owns a private Campground in McCloud. It would be very suitable for an event like this. It is a little airport for remote control airplanes. It is a mile or so from town and is on the road that leads out to McCloud reservoir. which later turns into road 11 which is one of the best roads around.
However I think that a better location for a gathering would be Castle Craggs or some place closer to Dunsmuir.
For several reasons. First off It is a more Central area for people coming from different directions. Accessing this place could bring people in from the coast using several spectacular rides that would be good. And if you are coming from the South it would be closer. It is not a huge difference from McCloud, but.
Reason two; I find people like to eat out some when they travel. Dunsmuir , Mt Shasta, would have more available.
But the best reason for staying down the hill is that we would have much more options in riding areas. From any of several campgrounds right in the area you are less than an hour to Shasta ,Trinity, Siskiyou counties with Burney still close for a day ride. I could name several great routes as This is home ground.
Problems with camping out at the falls is when you leave for the day you would probably want to pack your stuff up. At a more private location your stuff should be safer.
As far as scouting this area out, its endless. I have doing it for over forty years and still find corners that haven't been tended. With me an event like this would just be about Dates. I have other hobbies and one that has my major attention. {Trials}. If someone in the area wants to just ride let me know.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #35
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
McCloud is a nice area. It offers good riding. And if your set on this area I have a friend that owns a private Campground in McCloud. It would be very suitable for an event like this. It is a little airport for remote control airplanes. It is a mile or so from town and is on the road that leads out to McCloud reservoir. which later turns into road 11 which is one of the best roads around.
However I think that a better location for a gathering would be Castle Craggs or some place closer to Dunsmuir.
For several reasons. First off It is a more Central area for people coming from different directions. Accessing this place could bring people in from the coast using several spectacular rides that would be good. And if you are coming from the South it would be closer. It is not a huge difference from McCloud, but.
Reason two; I find people like to eat out some when they travel. Dunsmuir , Mt Shasta, would have more available.
But the best reason for staying down the hill is that we would have much more options in riding areas. From any of several campgrounds right in the area you are less than an hour to Shasta ,Trinity, Siskiyou counties with Burney still close for a day ride. I could name several great routes as This is home ground.
Problems with camping out at the falls is when you leave for the day you would probably want to pack your stuff up. At a more private location your stuff should be safer.
As far as scouting this area out, its endless. I have doing it for over forty years and still find corners that haven't been tended. With me an event like this would just be about Dates. I have other hobbies and one that has my major attention. {Trials}. If someone in the area wants to just ride let me know.
Thanks for the input Hop-Sing and you bring up some valid points. Staying in the I-5 corridor would tend to give better access to a larger # of people and civilization is close for those who want hot showers and a cold beer. This is why I started this thread, the more ideas and inputs the better. I started thinking of the Mt.Shasta/Dunsmuir area but really like McCloud Falls but like you said it is just over the hill from Dunsmuir. Another good thing is I too know alot of riding on this side. Fenders Ferry to Dog Creek to Trinity Mtn. Road opens up a huge area of various terrain and difficulty. I am not stuck on Fowlers especially after I saw the availability of the group camp there.. I will do a bit of surfing for group camps on this side, if you have any more ideas chuck 'em out there !!!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #36
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

The cayon

So Brain sounds like you been out. Fenders ferry/road 27 is my kind of road. and dog creek into Trinity is good. I camp at the clear creek campground sometimes. So if you like the idea of staying in the canyon there are lots off possible choices. when you think of Dog creek into the Trinities. that is just one avenue. the road from Castle craggs goes over the Shasta Trinity divide. but these are the main roads.From Gipson road as well as some others you can also cross the Divide. I spent a year out there surveying, we camped out and came home on the weekends. I have drove off that hill in a VW. but thats a different story. Also going over at Lake Siskiyou would be good. I hit snow going through there last year.
If you like the fenders ferry road, you should also be doing road 11 that will bring you from big bend to McCloud.
Anyway back to camping. WE might even try the Rail Road park just a couple miles short of Dunsmuir. they rent out Old box cars for rich people to stay. but they might have an area we could use for camping. There are lots of regular camp sites up the Canyon. Also if you have never been to the Campground at lake Siskiyou it is worth checking out just because of the size and commercial place it is. you can watch a movie at night and buy ice cream. not really my idea of camping but I have done it. I have found this thred so I will stay tuned. I will be in the Dunsmuir area a couple times in the next week or two. I ride a BMW dakar so I don't do hard single track riding.
pm me if you get a wild hair, I don't work so I can ride most anytime.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #37
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Sounds like we can put our heads together and come up with an excellent plan.... My days off are Sun,Mon., Tues. and am up anytime for a local trip! I will PM you my phone # and we can get together soon to do some riding. I checked out camping at Lake Siskiyou first thing but saw no group camping areas. I guess it all depends on how much interest we get and how many people show up....
Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #38
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,788
Railroad Park does have a campground...

just up the road from the box cars. It's a decent sized campground and seemed pretty busy when I was up there with my in-laws last September. You would most likely have to check with the owners about a group event. Thery do have kind of an upper and lower area, the lower would be more applicable to a group situation.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #39
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Thanks Reddog, it is looking more and more like the I-5 corridor may be the best place to centralize and camp. I will let my fingers do the walking this week and probably head up that way on Sun. or Mon. (r u listening Hop-Sing) to check out the camping and availability. If it looks good and they have an opening (I'm thinking earliest late July to latest late Sept.) I will book a site on the hopes that we can have a decent turn out. Keep the ideas and info coming, I think we can make this work !
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #40
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Can't sleep

I am heading up through the area as soon as my daughter gets back from the store. I am going to camp out down by Dunsmuir tonight and head over the divide tomorrow using Castle Craggs. I may turn south after about 17 miles and come back over and down to Sims road, or head out father and come down through Lewiston and then hit the road South back on top Buckhorn summit and hook into Bully schoop which dumps out on the Ditch grade road.
I can't wait as I can't sleep and need to get away to reset my clock.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #41
Adventure Trio
GS'r

Oddometer: 545
Sounds like a great route. Some of our favorite spots.

Enjoy
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #42
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Jefferson State

Depending who you talk to. Northern California in my mind is everything North of Sacramento. People in the bay area say they live in Northern California. now when I visit my friends in Weed California they say they live in the State of Jefferson. Fine, except they consider me an outsider. Kinda like the bay area folk and those in places like Stockton when I say they are in Central California. So thats that and it really doesn't matter.
Now what does matter is things like is the road passable ?
After looking around Dunsmuir for a few hours yesterday at houses and such I headed up to my "Tramp" friends. South Weed exit over by the Railroad tracks. Had a good visit with several of friends from all around the U.S. as I know lots of the traveling folks and they group up from time to time. and next week is Railroad days in Dunsmuir.
So after a short night sleep under some nice pine trees I got an early start at todays ride. I decided not to climb the hill behind lake Siskiyou that heads up Gum boat. I saw the snow and talked to some locals that said it was still closed. Instead I rode back down to Dunsmuir and stopped for gas at Castle Crags. the girl at the store told me that road 25 the road from there to trinity lake was also still snowed in. I just could not stand coming back down the freeway so I tried it anyway. I made it through with no problems. I can Officially say that road is OPEN. Hit Hwy 3 and headed toward Trinity lake. Just when you get to the lake you have to decided with way to go around. my original plan was to be the west side into Lewiston for gas. But I wanted more dirt than that was going to offer so I took the French gulch road 40 miles and mostly dirt. About half way out this road I hit or was hit by a massive Bee. I have been riding my whole life and been hit by lots of things but,. I had lifted my visor as it was hot. I was hit in the Eye and was lucky to get myself stopped. once stopped I was hurting so bad I could not walk. after about 5 minutes I tried to continue. I could not. another 10 minutes and I could ride holding my eye but could not see well enough to go over about 10 miles an hour. I stopped at a creek and filled my water bottle with cold water and layed down for another 30 minutes or so. I recovered enough to then continue but was hurting pretty bad. Then when I got down to French Gulch I realize they haven't sold gas for years. this put me very short on gas if i was going to do Buckhorn summit to Igo, so with my eye hurting and not sure how much gas I was going to need I just came home on Pavement. made it home in time to go to a fiends birthday party and eat some good food. My butt is sore and I will sleep good tonight.
I did stop by the Railroad park campground as well as other places checking out spots for a gathering/rally.
Hop-Sing
Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #43
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Bees and Bikes they just dont mix. I had a Bee fly up under my helmet once and sting me in my ear lobe, and your right tring to get stopped without eating it was tough. I usually have a bad reaction to a sting and this was no different, you know that hot, clammy feeling, instant swelling, heart racing like a run away KLR well maybe not but you get the picture. I now carry Antihistamine tablets(just your basic allergy tablets)when ever I ride. Sounded like a nice ride up till then.* Now that I think about it,did you post a picture on another thread of your eye?? Wicked)
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #44
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

OUCH! I too have had a bee in the helmet, but not in the eye! I am glad you are OK for the most part.... I have been working in Trinity Center area alot this last week and since CalTrans has decided to destroy one of my favorite stretches of road (299 from Buckhorn summit to the valley floor), I decided to miss the flaggers and took Trinity Mtn Rd from Coffee Creek to French Gulch in the work truck on Friday. Freshly graded it actually saved me quite a bit of time.
What did you find at Railroad Park? I want to head up to Dunsmuir tomorrow if the weather holds out and look for camping and possibly talk to some locals about group camping.
I am also going to go to Upper Crust Pizza on Tuesday night for the Redding Dirt Riders monthly get together (never been to one yet) and talk to some other guys about the State of Jefferson rally idea.
Let me know if you are going to be around when I head up that way......
Old 06-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #45
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Type of ride

Having not been riding with much group riding. and considering the Loop fashion I ride, I am not sure what kind of get together we are talking about.
It's O.K. I have to read all my sentence back three times too.
I would think it might be fun to do a traveling ride. Simple. Like say, Meet us At the Steel Bridge Campground by Douglas City Friday night. Saturday morning People could pick there own option to the next night Campground /Meet. With several routes provided by someone with good options. The second night we could pick some place on the back side of lake Shasta, Or out toward McCloud. That would give bigger bikes Hwy 3 89 and side cruses this is a great ride for them and The more dirt orientated could head over the Shasta Trinity Divide using several different routes. and then wiggle around the Shasta lake and then cross back into McCloud using Road 11 by The McCloud reservoir.
This is just an idea of HOW the Gathering could go.
Or you have the one camp, that you would return to each night.
This has advantages with would include vehicle support. like if someone on a smaller bike wanted to trailer up from Central California,{Sacrament,Bay Area.} Sorry I could not resist that.
It would be much easier to just suggest the campgrounds and see what happens.
So somebody needs to Lay it out to me.

Now What if I said weekend of June 23th and 24th.
First meet Friday 22nd sometime
Where; Steel Bridge Campground on 299 just east of Douglas city. at the end of Steel bridge rd.
Saturday night,, Campground out at McCloud reservoir, Where road 11 starts. {I would have to Look up the name} Sunday loop would vary depending which direction you would be returning too, or headed onward too.

Thats kinda the thing I am looking for. as far as what kind of ride are we talking about.

The Railroad Campground would only suit 5 to not much more than 25. I talked to them and it would be about 10 bucks a night if 5 people shared each camp site. Max they would allow is 6 per site and that would be 50 buck per site. Not much my cup of tea. but it would work as a base camp. don't think it would be to good as far as loud ness.

let us know who thing what.