ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #46
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
The "traveling" idea might work for a few guys meeting up on short notice for a day ride, maybe 2, but doesn't really work for me as a rally idea. Half of the fun of the rally is coming back to camp, BBQing, gathering around the campfire and telling tall tales. The central location of a group camp is the essence of my idea of a rally.
It looks like the weather is not going to cooperate tomorrow for riding up to Dunsmuir/Mt. Shasta area but can make phone calls and work off some of the information HopSing has found. I will post any info as it comes.
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #47
Everett49
Adventurer
 
Everett49's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 53
Looks like you guys will have very much fun! Question about the area: Is Grizzly Peak Lookout Road open? I have a trip planned in a couple weeks and want to go on the east side of Trinity Lake then Gog Creek Rd to Fender ferry, and, hopefully, over Grizzly Peak to Algoma Campground. Any way, thanks for the help.
Everett49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #48
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WRC51's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Hydesville, Calif
Oddometer: 430
Both you and HopSings ideas are good ones, but for this I would have to agree with Brian. For me a basecamp set-up to return to after a days ride is priceless, no need to re-setup the tent and related gear. I also think its better(at least for me ) not having to lug around the tent, sleeping bag, slepping pad, and other goodies while out and about on the bike.Speaking of camping, I have been riding street and dirt bikes for 45+ years but NEVER have done any moto camping from a bike. My brother-in-law and I are heading up to Cave Junction Wed. for a 3 day moto campout, OMG you should see my set-up. Sleeping bag and alot of bungies, tent and alot of bungies, tail pack full of clean undies, soft bags stuffed with some food, some tools, JetBoil stove, extra pants and or shorts, some oil(dont forget I have an 08 KLR), flashlight, head lamp.you get the idea. Looking forward to this Northern Calif. rally, and once again thanks for the work you guys are putting in to it.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #49
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett49 View Post
Looks like you guys will have very much fun! Question about the area: Is Grizzly Peak Lookout Road open? I have a trip planned in a couple weeks and want to go on the east side of Trinity Lake then Gog Creek Rd to Fender ferry, and, hopefully, over Grizzly Peak to Algoma Campground. Any way, thanks for the help.
Everett, I an not sure if Grizzly Peak is open but with this last week of HOT weather I am guessing it is passable. I would call the rangers to make sure. It is raining in Redding this morning and they say there is a possibility of snow down to 5K feet...
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #50
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Both you and HopSings ideas are good ones, but for this I would have to agree with Brian. For me a basecamp set-up to return to after a days ride is priceless, no need to re-setup the tent and related gear. I also think its better(at least for me ) not having to lug around the tent, sleeping bag, slepping pad, and other goodies while out and about on the bike.Speaking of camping, I have been riding street and dirt bikes for 45+ years but NEVER have done any moto camping from a bike. My brother-in-law and I are heading up to Cave Junction Wed. for a 3 day moto campout, OMG you should see my set-up. Sleeping bag and alot of bungies, tent and alot of bungies, tail pack full of clean undies, soft bags stuffed with some food, some tools, JetBoil stove, extra pants and or shorts, some oil(dont forget I have an 08 KLR), flashlight, head lamp.you get the idea. Looking forward to this Northern Calif. rally, and once again thanks for the work you guys are putting in to it.
I have hopes that this will become an annual rally with a great following. There is mega riding up here with awesome and endless scenery, lending it to great memories. This years might be limited in attendance which might be a good thing, allowing the "pioneers" to iron out some of the wrinkles. I hope you can make it and help us construct a top notch ADV rally.
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #51
Adventure Trio
GS'r
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett49 View Post
Looks like you guys will have very much fun! Question about the area: Is Grizzly Peak Lookout Road open? I have a trip planned in a couple weeks and want to go on the east side of Trinity Lake then Gog Creek Rd to Fender ferry, and, hopefully, over Grizzly Peak to Algoma Campground. Any way, thanks for the help.
Grizzly Peak lookout road has snow about 4 miles from the lookout site coming from NF-11 and is still impassable as of last weekend. With the precip today that isn't going to help things.

FYI, Grizzly Peak road from the top down towards Algoma is now gated in 2 places with no way to go around unless you have a small dirtbike that you can slide underneath the gate. This is one of the routes that I am trying to find out if the gates were erected legally or not as this is a major route "out" of the forest to highway 89.


-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #52
shasta650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: mt.shasta,ca.
Oddometer: 122
Grizzly gates

I was told the gates were compliments of the Hearst Corp and they get to make there own rules.They own some of the area around Stouts Meadow.
shasta650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #53
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 414
Base camp then!

O.K. thats fine, now Give us a Date Brian.
As far as locked gates; If you travel with a Camping WRC51 you just pull out the mini cutting torch and proceed.
Now as far as Hearst Corp being trouble,,,,,,,, I think you may have the R in the wrong place. It's the Hearst's Crop that you want to stay away from.

WRC51 how can you ride for 45 years without camping. we used to go camping in 8th grade on our dirt bikes even on school nites. It is always fun to see what different people bring. I can go either way, comfort is nice. I can go a couple of days with very little. Couple cans of tuna and couple of apples and some tortillas makes dinner. Trail mix and water for snacking on during the day.
Some people like to stop and eat at restaurants. thats fine too , and I will join but Not my style. Camping stoves are small enough these days to be feasible. its just a matter of what you want compared to what you need. I know most people will not be happy with a can of tuna and an apple. Now just so you know I have a can opener, So I am not quite as tough as I sound. My biggest worry is while I am sleeping a bear will wake me up liking my tuna smelling fingers. I always walk some distance from where I sleep to eat the tuna as them bears go nuts over smells like that.
I use a tent most the time as it fits in my bags. The other night I didn't even bother to get it out as I was to lazy to clear a spot. Mosquito juice is important. and very rarely do I not see a store each 24 hours or so. I believe I have never spent a night in a motel while out riding any street legal bike. Now that might seem odd and maybe it is. I have paid for camping very seldom as I stay in non campgrounds. I have pulled in late and left early, but those are remote campgrounds with no host. I certainly don't have a problem with paying for camping, I just find myself enjoying the diversity of riding a DS and can find a corner to tuck into. Bla Bla Bla.
Give me a date so I can see if I can Attend.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #54
Titus58
Adventurer
 
Titus58's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Both you and HopSings ideas are good ones, but for this I would have to agree with Brian. For me a basecamp set-up to return to after a days ride is priceless, no need to re-setup the tent and related gear. I also think its better(at least for me ) not having to lug around the tent, sleeping bag, slepping pad, and other goodies while out and about on the bike.
+1000. This works best for me as well. One idea - make both options available; folks who want basecamp plus daily rides do that, others that want a traveling trip can make our basecamp their first overnight.

Hey Brian! this rally sounds great and count me in, date dependent (I cannot make the Jun 22-24 dates; July-Aug works best for me). I would also be happy to help out in organizing and group cooking, if you decide to go that route. FYI - I think any campground and riding areas you choose (with all the input from the local riders like Hop-sing etc.) will be excellent so don't sweat it - all of us coming from outside the area will have more than likely not ridden anywhere there before, so all rides are good ones!


Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC51 View Post
Speaking of camping, I have been riding street and dirt bikes for 45+ years but NEVER have done any moto camping from a bike...sleeping bag and alot of bungies, tent and alot of bungies, tail pack etc. etc...you get the idea.
WRC51 - FYI first moto camping I did was the same Mendo Rally as Brian - and I learned a lot - here's some noobie advice: 1) Pack less! Especially clothes; 2) don't rely just on bungies; get sometype of cinching straps...I lost a bag on 19th ave in SF b/c I did not have good & secure straps. 3) check your straps at every fuel stop...gear shifts around. 4) Pack less...you can always run out and get something locally if needed. 5) Don't sweat the small stuff..remember it's an adventure and you will have a blast. Have a great trip and hope we see u at Brian's rally (state of Jefferson...wot??...some one can 'splain it to me later...)


T
__________________
__________________
2002 Vstrom DL1000
Titus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #55
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
O.K. thats fine, now Give us a Date Brian.
As far as locked gates; If you travel with a Camping WRC51 you just pull out the mini cutting torch and proceed.
Now as far as Hearst Corp being trouble,,,,,,,, I think you may have the R in the wrong place. It's the Hearst's Crop that you want to stay away from.

WRC51 how can you ride for 45 years without camping. we used to go camping in 8th grade on our dirt bikes even on school nites. It is always fun to see what different people bring. I can go either way, comfort is nice. I can go a couple of days with very little. Couple cans of tuna and couple of apples and some tortillas makes dinner. Trail mix and water for snacking on during the day.
Some people like to stop and eat at restaurants. thats fine too , and I will join but Not my style. Camping stoves are small enough these days to be feasible. its just a matter of what you want compared to what you need. I know most people will not be happy with a can of tuna and an apple. Now just so you know I have a can opener, So I am not quite as tough as I sound. My biggest worry is while I am sleeping a bear will wake me up liking my tuna smelling fingers. I always walk some distance from where I sleep to eat the tuna as them bears go nuts over smells like that.
I use a tent most the time as it fits in my bags. The other night I didn't even bother to get it out as I was to lazy to clear a spot. Mosquito juice is important. and very rarely do I not see a store each 24 hours or so. I believe I have never spent a night in a motel while out riding any street legal bike. Now that might seem odd and maybe it is. I have paid for camping very seldom as I stay in non campgrounds. I have pulled in late and left early, but those are remote campgrounds with no host. I certainly don't have a problem with paying for camping, I just find myself enjoying the diversity of riding a DS and can find a corner to tuck into. Bla Bla Bla.
Give me a date so I can see if I can Attend.
A bit more research is in order to make any kind of a date. There is still snow at the higher elevations, I couldn't ride up today due to weather, and finding a good group camp is needed. I am sure we have all camped mega times, I just dont like lugging all that gear with me where ever I go. Some like to do double/single track for the day rides and that is tough with loaded down panniers hanging off the side of the bike, plus it is very nice to come back to home base, relax, crack a beer and talk about all the get offs and goof offs of the day around a campfire with the smell of tri-tip on the BBQ.....Any kind of a date will be late in the season, giving snow time to clear and give those who would like to come time to prepare. If it all comes together I am looking at a late Aug. early Sept. Hop-Sing, I am up for one of those "lets meet here" kinda day rides. I have no issue with packing some home made beef jerky, trail mix, and a mountain tent and go for it.....
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #56
redog1
KLR650-2009
 
redog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Magalia, CA./ Butte & Siskiyou C.
Oddometer: 1,788
State of Jefferson....

"state of Jefferson...wot??...some one can 'splain it to me later"

Google it, interesting read and history of the North Counties of Calif and South Counties of Oregon.
Hop-Sing, I agree with you regarding Northern Calif, Any further south from Sacramento, you're no longer in Northern Calif. IMHO
__________________
No, I don't know where that road goes, let's find out!
redog1
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #57
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 414
Lake Siskiyou Campground

Lake Siskiyou has group camping. Have stayed there with big groups. I think there are like 3 "GROUP sites". may have tone down any late night parties. and there sites may be all booked. we always booked our next years gathering when we left. It would be a safe spot to leave gear, Plus you could bring family and they could swim at the beach, rent paddle boats, Play on giant floating water features, Like mountains that you climb and things like the blob, Watch movies, eat ice cream, play in one of several parks, ect all inside the campground. and the town of Mt Shasta is less than 5 miles if you want a fancy dinner, or a Burger King. It is privately ran and it would put us at the base of the Big Mountain.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #58
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
I just left a message and an E mail for Jackie at Lake Siskiyou Camp for info and tentative group dates between the end of Aug. to Sept. If there are dates available I will book them and just pass the hat when the time comes. Hop-Sing may be right about no available dates but when I get a call back I am sure Jackie can be helpful with many questions we have about group camps. Lets cross our fingers for open dates !!
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #59
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 414
Gates

Here's a gate. Looks like I am on the wrong side. 25 miles behind me there was another one. 5 points for the first person to tell me where it is. should be an easy one. I drove here without going on a Hwy and I live in Red Bluff.


Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #60
Everett49
Adventurer
 
Everett49's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California
Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Trio View Post
Grizzly Peak lookout road has snow about 4 miles from the lookout site coming from NF-11 and is still impassable as of last weekend. With the precip today that isn't going to help things.

FYI, Grizzly Peak road from the top down towards Algoma is now gated in 2 places with no way to go around unless you have a small dirtbike that you can slide underneath the gate. This is one of the routes that I am trying to find out if the gates were erected legally or not as this is a major route "out" of the forest to highway 89.


-Terry
Thank you for the heads-up. I have been reading about gates going up all over the place. I guess I will skip this section for now.

An aside, Did I see you guys in ADVMoto magazine? I am pretty sure it was you guys. Looks like you guys have a lot of fun! I am new to motorcycling (one year) and just started riding dirt roads, etc, this year. I am having a blast!!

Again, thank you for the gate info. I will stay tuned for further developments.
Everett49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014