ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #61
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,404
Sposed to snow heavily to 4k feet tonite all over the area.

Judging from the amount of rain we got-over 4 inches at the house today, and it felt like twice that riding North Fenders Ferry- if it does snow, it's gonna set us back again...

it was like riding in a cold shower.....awesome!

S
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #62
Adventure Trio
GS'r

Oddometer: 554
Looking forward to a late August early September event.

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #63
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Fenders Ferry

I would like info. AlleyCat. or anyone. If you are going North on Fenders Ferry from 299 and you are going around the lake, when you get to the McCloud arm bridge. Have you ever gone on the dirt road up the hill to the North. This is a Gated road at certain times but when open I believe it can open up that whole side of the valley clear to McCloud. If it does I just lost a couple more weeks of riding. Seem I get farther behind every time I turn around.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #64
Adventure Trio
GS'r

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett49 View Post
Thank you for the heads-up. I have been reading about gates going up all over the place. I guess I will skip this section for now.

An aside, Did I see you guys in ADVMoto magazine? I am pretty sure it was you guys. Looks like you guys have a lot of fun! I am new to motorcycling (one year) and just started riding dirt roads, etc, this year. I am having a blast!!

Again, thank you for the gate info. I will stay tuned for further developments.
That was us.....

Looking forward to meeting everyone eventually.

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #65
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Whew Alleycat! I got dime sized hail at my house in the valley, I could imagine what it was like in the mountains (I think I would have found a big tree to hide under... Hope we all can stand around the campfire soon to eat, drink, and be merry!!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #66
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Well I used to ride off-road alot, Clear Creek before is was closed, Hollister Hills and Stony Ford and we sort of camped but usually out of the back of our pick-ups or someones toy hauler. If you guys see me lurking around your bikes and tents at the rally Iam not stealing anything, well maybe just ideas.I really didnt know that the Redding/Redbluff area had that many great riding areas that Hopsings and Brians pictures show. Nice. *EDIT* On the gate issue, there are so many gated trails in this area that werent up just a few years ago. Iam new to this area but my riding buddy has lived here forever and said most of them around here are put up by logging companies.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #67
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
I would like info. AlleyCat. or anyone. If you are going North on Fenders Ferry from 299 and you are going around the lake, when you get to the McCloud arm bridge. Have you ever gone on the dirt road up the hill to the North. This is a Gated road at certain times but when open I believe it can open up that whole side of the valley clear to McCloud. If it does I just lost a couple more weeks of riding. Seem I get farther behind every time I turn around.
Funny, I was talking about this with a friend here at work this am and niether of us have ever seen that gate open.

S
Old 06-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #68
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

The gates I have come across I have always found a way around them. I think I am going to add a trowel or folding shovel to my list....
Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #69
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
I have never seen that gate open either. I know it was still locked a few days ago. Stopped there to look at the river for a minute but the used condoms all over the ground made stopping in the middle of the bridge the better scenic opportunity.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #70
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Whew Alleycat! I got dime sized hail at my house in the valley
It was raining pretty good up here in Nevada City so I pulled up the doppler and saw a huge swath of red sitting below Redding for at least a half hour. Must have got hammered!

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #71
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
The gates I have come across I have always found a way around them. I think I am going to add a trowel or folding shovel to my list....
Look around for game cams when you do this...I happen to know that the FS just spent a bundle on 'em for this exact issue.

S
Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #72
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Thanks for the heads up... Maybe some masking tape is in order to cover the plate #'s....
Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #73
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

Looks like Aug. 24-26 is our dates. The group site will hold 16 tents, 20.00 base fee and additional for extra people, vehicles, etc. I will investigate further, if you wanna check out the resort google Lake Siskiyou Resort. I will for sure book site 105 for that Fri,Sat,Sun. Any more and she said we can book adjoining sites. We should include evening dinners for each night and decide on beer flavors. I am on my phone will write more when I get home
Old 06-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #74
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
dates

Right on Brian! That date is perfect for me. I was sweating the date as my calender is full. I will be there.
That will also get me out scouting that area. Thanks for getting it going Skibum.
Now That picture of the gate I posted.. WRC51 you have the best shot at it. My riding area includes that coast region bettween Hwy 36 and Hwy 20. I don't use a GPS and I don't get lost. How big of a hint you need.

As far as getting lost, Ride the dirt, Keep the back tire spinning, you can always follow your tracks home.

After the rain yesterday, the roads will be fresh. Hero Dirt.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #75
SkiBumBrian OP
DualSport Crazy !!

OK. I think we have a tentative date set. For the ones who really want to attend give me a heads up if these dates work for you, if not they can be changed(NOT Memorial Day weekend.. booked) What else I think we need to address is rides. I know some but not as much as Hop-Sing(big bike routes), Alleycat, and WRC51. You guys know the area better than I do and can give great input on day rides(loops) out of Mt.Shasta so everyones riding desires is covered. Think about it. Because this is kind of an inaugural ride I plan on supplying 2 BBQ dinners for up to a dozen or so riders for Fri. and Sat. night, plus a 1/4 or 1/2 keg of drinkables. I am not a big drinker but want it available to those who do (I will partake, I am just getting older and don't do as well on the next days ride).
Most rallies are fee based but for our first it is hard for me to determine what is a fair division so for the first one I want to play it as it comes. the base rate for the site was 20 bucks but over 3 (I think) was a per person over the age of 5 of 5 bucks per. That should not be an issue. I must stress that this is not primitive camping. Mt. Shasta city is just minutes away and the resort has outdoor movies, concession stands. paddle boats, and hot showers. I think this is a great base, I informed LeeAnn of who we were and what we do and she was excited about the rally.
I will, no matter what, reserve one 16 tent site and if it grows she assured me they could accommodate more. Give me feedback on dates.
Lets make the State of Jefferson rally a safe, sane (to a point), enjoyable, and memorable rally for all that can become an annual event. Thanks to all who have helped me, and will help in the interim, make this a great ADV event...

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 05:15 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote