User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Anyone know anything about Italika?

Looks like I'm moving to Mexico for a while (maybe as long as a year) at the end of my current trip. I'd like to buy a 2nd bike to be used as a trainer for my girlfriend.

Anyone know anything about Italika bikes? They're ridiculously cheap down here - brand new, the 200cc dualsport model is less than $1500 USD.

How long is one of these things realistically going to last? Are they so bad that I shouldn't consider it?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
RoMo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb

I moved from New York to the Mexican mountains north of Mexico City about 2 yrs ago. Needing transportation and money being a bit short, I bought an Italika TC250 from Elektra. I have not gone on many long trips but, I ride nearly everyday. Italika is ok for cruising, but a little under powered for long highway (autopista) riding. So if you're planning short rides (less than 100 miles a day), it's a nice bike. Made in China, made with alot of plastic (look up Italika's website or Elektras) most of the chrome is over plastic. The the chrome "filter covers" are primarily for looks, giving the vague appearance of a V twin. Very few stock accessories for the bike and little capacity for carrying anything. All in all it's a nice looking pueblo cruiser, handles pretty good on roads and trails. By what I know of is a gringo can't legally license a vehicle in Mexico, but don't let that discourage you too much, I rode mine for nearly 3 months before registering it and that's includes rides in Pachuca. Helmets are the law here too, but I've never seen it enforced, I wear a helmet only when on the autopista, because of the horrible drivers here. When you buy the bike from Elektra, you get a liter of gas, the keys, and the paperwork, you're on your own after that, except for a couple of semi free services.
The TC250 or Tornado would make a good entry bike, the seat is low, the dual sport has a high seat and more difficult for training unless your girlfriend has long legs.
Hope this contains some useful information. Good Luck, in Mexico, and if you're around Pachuca, Sahagun maybe we can hook up for a ride to the piramides.
RoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMo
I moved from New York to the Mexican mountains north of Mexico City about 2 yrs ago. Needing transportation and money being a bit short, I bought an Italika TC250 from Elektra. I have not gone on many long trips but, I ride nearly everyday. Italika is ok for cruising, but a little under powered for long highway (autopista) riding. So if you're planning short rides (less than 100 miles a day), it's a nice bike. Made in China, made with alot of plastic (look up Italika's website or Elektras) most of the chrome is over plastic. The the chrome "filter covers" are primarily for looks, giving the vague appearance of a V twin. Very few stock accessories for the bike and little capacity for carrying anything. All in all it's a nice looking pueblo cruiser, handles pretty good on roads and trails. By what I know of is a gringo can't legally license a vehicle in Mexico, but don't let that discourage you too much, I rode mine for nearly 3 months before registering it and that's includes rides in Pachuca. Helmets are the law here too, but I've never seen it enforced, I wear a helmet only when on the autopista, because of the horrible drivers here. When you buy the bike from Elektra, you get a liter of gas, the keys, and the paperwork, you're on your own after that, except for a couple of semi free services.
The TC250 or Tornado would make a good entry bike, the seat is low, the dual sport has a high seat and more difficult for training unless your girlfriend has long legs.
Hope this contains some useful information. Good Luck, in Mexico, and if you're around Pachuca, Sahagun maybe we can hook up for a ride to the piramides.
Thanks for the good info. I sat on a DM200 and gave it a close examination and wasn't terribly pleased with the construction. I think a Yammie or Honda 125 might be a better choice for my purposes; if I sell it after a year for half what I pay for it new, it's still only $15,000 pesos lost.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Ramata
Wind

Oddometer: 75
I asked that same question to members in a mexican forum. Someone told me those bikes were used by the police in his city, and from an initial group of like 20 bikes only 2 or 3 were still rideable. Of course you have to consider oficial vehicles here are generally neglected in usage and maintenance. According to Elektra (the distributor of Italika) they are trying to improve their parts stock so you don't have to wait weeks for parts to arrive in case something breaks (this could be true now that they are starting to distribute chinese cars)
My girlfriend wants to start riding, buit I rather chose a small honda or yamaha (google honda bros or yamaha xtz125)
But if you decide to take a try with chinese bikes, there are other brands like Vento or Dinamo.
Ramata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
RoMo
n00b

Dinamo has a much better style selection than Elektra but sill the bikes are built pretty much the same, quality-wise. If you are planning on a used bike, check online for "mercado libre".
The Police here in Hidalgo mainly use Honda Cargo, though I lived in Pachuca for about a year and the police there ride anything, bicycles, 4 wheelers, cars, trucks jeeps ... and of course with an M16 slung over thier shoulder (I don´t know if they carry bullets though, maybe 1 for a warning shot?)
RoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
LS650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Sorry to stumble into these thread a few years too late...

but I lived in the state of Oaxaca while teaching at a university, and had the 200cc "sport model" for a couple of years. The engine was essentially a knock-off of a Honda XR200.

I found it to be adequate transport for getting to work and riding around the local area. When I left Mexico 2 years after buying the Italika, it had only cost me normal maintenance (oil changes, plugs, a rear tire, etc.). I bought it for 18,000 pesos and sold it for 10,000 so I think I got my money's worth out of it.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
fujian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
DM200 Italika

Sounds like you can't go wrong with the Italika DM200

I'll be trying to buy one on the 19th of September in Mexico City, If anyone is bored and wants to help a soon to be confused Canadian out that would be awesome.

Only thing is on the Italika website they don't list having a DM200

Just having the one dual purpose bike, the DM150 below.

http://www.italika.com.mx/producto.a...LE%20PROPOSITO

fujian screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 08:55 PM
fujian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Italika, Good luck.

You can buy a new Honda CGL125 for 14900 MXN,
Old 04-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
italika1
n00b

For what it's worth, I'm living in San Miguel de Allende and just bought an Italika DM200. $20,999 Pesos including a DOT approved helmet and 18 months of warranty (3 mos. on electrical and 15 mos. on all mechanical). At today's exchange rate of 0.077 Pesos per dollar that comes out to $1,606 US. I did look at the Honda 125cc dirt bike but it was a lot more money, and Japanese or not, way too small a frame and engine for me and my amiga. This is my 9th bike -2 Triumphs, a BSA, 2 Harleys, a Honda 900, a KLR 650 and a BMW R100RT that I rode for 13 years. I have no pretenses about how this money was spent, but it's what I can afford and there are a million of these on the road all over Mexico and South America. Not that I plan to do a lot of long distance touring like on my BMW or clawing my way around the mountains of N. California on my KLR, but once broken-in I will be going places near and far in this part of Mexico -once I get the bike kitted-out with a small list of items for daylong riding. Around here the streets are either dirt and rock or cobblestone, and aside from the paved highways (which are excellent) I think the DM200 will be perfect. If anyone out there is considering one don't forget to throw a leg over before buying. I'm 6'0" and the DM is a tall bike like the KLR. Getting a leg over the seat and keeping good footing at a stop might be worth thinking about for a shorter person.

If anyone out there is reading this and wants an occasional update on my experiences with the bike, please post here and I'll make time to give some info.

Cheers,

Mark
italika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Freewilley
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking Keep me posted

I spend lots of time just north of Nogales, and some time in Sonora so I have thought about a cheapy dual sport for occasional careful play.

Please let me know how it works for you.

Gracias!
Freewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
italika1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewilley View Post
I spend lots of time just north of Nogales, and some time in Sonora so I have thought about a cheapy dual sport for occasional careful play.

Please let me know how it works for you.

Gracias!
Holy Cow! My apologies for missing your request. Here is the report to date:
500km warranty Service. Cost $22USD for spark plug and fresh oil and filter. I had thought this stuff would be free, but it wasn't. Ok, $22 bucks is acceptable. Also, the fellow who owns the franchise here in San Miguel is a very good man, and has given me a new DOT helmet and said I could pay anytime I have the money. Cost for a new jet-pilot helmet: $40USD.

Good news: The bike starts and runs perfectly and rarely requires more than a minute of 1/2 full choke even on cold mornings here at 6,200 ft above sea level. Oil consumption is Zero. Fuel consumption is very, very little. I have traveled nearly 350km on a full tank and still not need Reserve supply.

I have had no problems with the bike other than below.

Problem: Front disk brake, (single rotor) rubber hose (not braided stainless steel) was somehow installed incorrectly at factory. In this case, the incorrect hose was flexing against the left side tank fairing and at some point in the future would have abraded through and then leaked. It was hard for me to miss, but a new rider might have assumed all to be OK until a failure occurred. A new mounting/routing/hose and fluid and labor was around $10USD and after around 600km of riding since then all is ok.

Warning: single-rotor front disk brake can be a liability in a panic stop due to it not being dual rotors and a non-flexing brake line. I am not certain if better, "sticky" pads can be purchased for this bike. Question: will the franchise owner find a braided steel front line for the bike AND keep the 18 month warranty intact? I will ask and report if requested to do so. Applying rear drum brake is necessary to come to a fast stop. Rear drum brake by itself not to be relied upon at any time, it goes without saying.

Negative: Torque on this 200cc engine is minimal at best. When riding two-up around town at low speeds things get problematic as a result of this. 1st gear is Very low and at around 20km p/h, must be shifted to 2nd. 2nd has no torque to speak of and on very steep inclines 1st gear will be needed with speed kept to a minimum so as not to over-rev the engine.

Good: Single riding on highway is fine between 60 to 80kph on flat ground in 5th (top) gear. Steep inclines will need one downshift and lower speed to crest of hill.

Two-up riding on highway will not always allow running in 5th gear and steep inclines may require 3rd at much lower speed. No doubt that this engine is designed for getting around town and low to moderate highway speeds.

The bike currently has 740km on it and is not fully broken in. Today, a solo highway ride of ~90km. Speeds up to 80km for short bursts but generally ridden between 60 and 70kph with no problem except for very long upgrade that needed a shift to 4th gear.

Seat is fine for me, weighing 185lbs, but seems to be getting softer with more time in saddle. This may or may not be a good thing; you decide. I am thinking to add a piece of sheepskin or the like to compensate. No mechanical or electrical problems except brake line above. A bolt on the chain guard spun loose; easily tightened. Idle was set too high, it too easily adjusted at side of carb.

RE: "Play". I assume you mean off road scrambling/jumps/generally kicking ass out in the desert on this bike. I'm not certain of recommending this because I don't think the bike is really built for such stresses. However, I have no personal experience as you know. Also, I do not speak enough Spanish to talk about this with other Italika riders. Sorry.

If you would like continuing updates, please let me know.

MF

italika1 screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 02:15 PM
italika1 is offline   Reply With Quote