Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
KTM 690 Enduro gas cap replacement - anyone concerned about theft?

I see all the replacement gas caps do NOT come with locks. Is anyone concerned that someone might either steal the cap (most a pointless endevour, but will ruin YOUR day) or siphon of your gas (PITA, but no real biggie, IMO).

For my usage, these scenarios would only come up during extended trips, where I'd be stopping at hotels, for example. Obviously at home, in my garage, this is a non-issue (though my dogs are sneaky...). As it would be during most day trips one would take...

I realize the stock cap gets a bad rap for potentially letting dirt in and/or defiling your key at the wrong moment... but I'm wondering if there's a lockable gas cap solition for the 690 Enduro R?

Is it as simple as replacing the Acerbis gas cap (that comes with, say, the Reznaco replacement setup) with a cap that has a lock installed?

SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,425
I doubt anyone around where I live is gonna waste their time and effort trying to steal a couple gallons of gas out of a bike.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Tampering has always been my concern. Everyone seems to be carrying some sort of liquid refreshment these days and just one douchenozzle with a bottle of soda posing for his buddies giving the thirsty motorcycle a drink will ruin your week.

Anyway, here's an Acerbis locking cap. Contact would be the only way to confirm whether or not it will fit. http://www.acerbis.com/fuel-tanks.ph...id_categoria=4
Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Tampering has always been my concern. Everyone seems to be carrying some sort of liquid refreshment these days and just one douchenozzle with a bottle of soda posing for his buddies giving the thirsty motorcycle a drink will ruin your week.

Anyway, here's an Acerbis locking cap. Contact would be the only way to confirm whether or not it will fit. http://www.acerbis.com/fuel-tanks.ph...id_categoria=4
But... it says "universal"... it's gotta fit, right?

Worth trying for the $35 methinks...though I wonder if I might be able to find another, lower priced test mule...hmmm...

...and are you suggesting the mighty KTM won't run on Red Bull? :)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
jlemond
King of No0bs

Oddometer: 162
Bringing this year old thread back to life... Has anyone tried the Acerbis locking cap on their Renezco replacement fuel filler and nozzle??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post

jlemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemond View Post
Bringing this year old thread back to life... Has anyone tried the Acerbis locking cap on their Renezco replacement fuel filler and nozzle??
I have not tried it, but it's an Acerbis cap on the kit and the locking cap is also made by Acerbis.. Somebody drop them a line and ask, or order it and tell us. $35 isn't too much! :)
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,632
did anyone tried the acerbis locking gas cap?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,659
You are way more likely to get struck by lightning---then having somebody mess with your gas.

Big city folks seem to fret about these things.

Hell---I never take the ignition key out of my bike------wish it didn't have one------just a switch.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #9
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,016
Probably only need to worry about problems near the southern boarder.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,744
I considered the non-locking gas cap when setting up the 2013 I bought last winter.

I decided to put this off for a while. I use the bike for long trips and I stay in motels. I have a minor fear of vandalism by rampaging teenagers.

I haven't had any problem using the key, but I have to admit it feels like something that could break at some point.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote