Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #196
leanin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
steering lock ? you guys are kiddin arn't yas , get a 250 and when yas grow up and can ride a bike come and post a proper gripe !
STFU I've been riding dirt bikes 42yrs and don't need you telling me steering lock isn't important on tight trails and switch backs.
leanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #197
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
So how many degrees steering (lock to lock) does it have and how does that compare to the earlier models? I would say that has been my single biggest gripe with my 09 and I would be willing to spend a little bit of money to decrease my turning radius.

Now that I think of it, my fork tubes touch the frame (actually just the headlight strap that attaches to the fork tubes) just after the lower triple clamp hits the radiator shroud so changing the triple clamp(s) alone wouldn't seem to increase steering lock. Hmm. There must be something more to this, or maybe it's all just smoke and mirrors!
If you're hitting the radiator shroud, that's all there is...my 08 has maybe 1/2" clearance with the stop bolts screwed all the way in. However, I just adjusted my 12 model yesterday until the left fork hits the shroud and it turns a bunch tighter than the 08. Maybe the triple clamp and shroud are different...According to Rally Raid, there are minor differences in the 2012 frame, but I don't know what that might be...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #198
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Hi guys I don't have a dog in the fight, as I don't own anything orange. But I am an obsessive compulsive bike browser and was on KTM Worlds website over in GA, and they have a 2010 690 Enduro R with only 300 miles for $7,995. Seems like a great deal if one of you guys are in the market. FYI.

Bama67 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 02:40 PM Reason: i am a retard
Bama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #199
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin View Post
STFU I've been riding dirt bikes 42yrs and don't need you telling me steering lock isn't important on tight trails and switch backs.
Lean it over, gas it and the rear end comes around. I try this sometimes and it works but man sometimes I fall down

Tell them all to STFU...... I love hearing from all the pros on this board. Good times. Ok, now time to go back to work
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #200
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
steering lock ? you guys are kiddin arn't yas , get a 250 and when yas grow up and can ride a bike come and post a proper gripe !

So you determine what a proper gripe is?

Certainly sounds like someone needs to grow up.

Anyway, thanks for such an insightful contribution to the thread.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #201
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama67 View Post
KTM Worlds website over in GA, and they have a 2012 690 Enduro R with only 300 miles for $7,995. Seems like a great deal if one of you guys are in the market. FYI.
Bike is actually a 2010. Sure has looow miles.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #202
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Hi I'm new to the KTM world.Bought a 99 lc4e about 18 months ago? I would love to replace it before it starts to fall apart. (as all old stuff tends to do) Is the 690 what I am looking for? The local KTM dealer acts like I'm an idiot for not wanting the 500? So all i get is negative things about the 690 from him, and he dosnt carry the 690 like the 500. So maybe thats why he is pushing 500? I have never ridden either. The 690 is what I think I want. Is it too heavy, not hold enough gas, the seats suck? I love my 640. Just want the same thing but newer? THX in advance
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #203
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
well I actually own the bike and am not just a keyboard writer who just knocks the shit outa everything - so just ask what you wana know and i will contribute- for a start the steering lock only comes into play when you have to turn around on a very tight track where you can't spin it around and the size and weight wud be more of a factor on tight trails and switchbacks if you couldn't ride that well after 42yrs in the saddle not the steering lock
So you are saying that the reduced steering travel only comes into play on a tight track, for everyone? Are you unable to admit the fact that not every rider is exactly like you and that possibly other riders would prefer a smaller radius? Why do you feel you have the right to judge what other people feel is a shortcoming of a bike?

You claim to not be a keyboard jockey that knocks the shit out of everything, yet you appear to be exactly that.

I really appreciate your offer to help, but I own 5 bikes and do all work on every single one of them myself exclusively, especially during race season so I doubt you have anything of value to add. Your comment was not meant to help anyone, it was simply your own insecurity manifesting itself by thumping your chest on a forum to proclaim yourself superior. It failed.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #204
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,718
ok
I will un-subscibe to this thread and leave it up to the people who know best - you know the ones there the guys that don't own the bike ;-]
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 02:16 PM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #205
Bama67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Bike is actually a 2010. Sure has looow miles.
Ooops. I knew that, typo, I will fix it. Still a great deal though for someone in the market.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #206
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
well I actually own the bike and am not just a keyboard writer who just knocks the shit outa everything - so just ask what you wana know and i will contribute- for a start the steering lock only comes into play when you have to turn around on a very tight track where you can't spin it around and the size and weight wud be more of a factor on tight trails and switchbacks if you couldn't ride that well after 42yrs in the saddle not the steering lock
Cool story.

I'm 6'5" and not a wimpy kid, so size and weight are definately not the issue. I ride my 690 like a real dirtbike and can easily pivot turn on UPHILL switchbacks (hell, I can 180* it on the back wheel in just a couple feet) but the 690's steering lock is a big hinderance when descending said switchbacks, especially right handers where brake sliding into it is much more difficult. I've never been bothered by it in any other situation, but that 1 situation (which occurs fairly often) is enough to justify my gripe. That's not to say that the 690 can't do it, but it sure would be easier if it had more steering lock.

Why would you attack someone's riding abilities over something like complaining about steering lock, when you yourself are an advocate of centrifugal clutches... something that is looked at by many as a band-aid for lack of rider abilities?

Did you ever think that your 2012 might actually have more steering lock than the earlier models in question so it would not be as big of an issue as with the earlier models? While I own a 2009 model and not a 2012, I did direct my question towards the owners of 2012's in an effort to get some useful (or not) input.

So I'm just going to " ask what you wana know" :

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
So how many degrees steering (lock to lock) does it have and how does that compare to the earlier models?
"and i will contribute"
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #207
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
Hi I'm new to the KTM world.Bought a 99 lc4e about 18 months ago? I would love to replace it before it starts to fall apart. (as all old stuff tends to do) Is the 690 what I am looking for? The local KTM dealer acts like I'm an idiot for not wanting the 500?
How far is your average ride? How many miles do you rack up in a year? How gnarly is your terrain? How much stuff do you want to carry?

If you like the 640 you will like the 690, it manages to be better both on & offroad than the 640 imho.

A well maintained 640 wont fall apart in a hurry but having done a few thousand miles on a 690 I can fully understand the desire to upgrade

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #208
dolphins13
orange rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
How far is your average ride? How many miles do you rack up in a year? How gnarly is your terrain? How much stuff do you want to carry?

If you like the 640 you will like the 690, it manages to be better both on & offroad than the 640 imho.

A well maintained 640 wont fall apart in a hurry but having done a few thousand miles on a 690 I can fully understand the desire to upgrade

Cheers
Clint
I wanna be able to haul ass on asphalt (10 to 50 miles) on my way to the hardesr dirt riding I can find. I travel light. I

like to jump and climb really tough hills. So extra baggage sucks for me. Usually means a 100 to 150 total miles of

riding. I want a 690 bad but the 690 wiki page has a list of like 15 things you gotta do to the bike after you buy it? So

you guys are spending roughly 10 g's on your bike then a couple more on mods? I am not a rich man. Will have to

save up for a while. thx for your advice. Now I am reading steering lock problems? I studied my 640 for a good 10

months before I found one. Was gonna get a dr. I got lucky cause I cant stand my friends dr now since riding my

bike and I used to think they ruled. I see a 2012 690 in my future. Does anyone ever go back to japanese bikes after riding a ktm? No way I would right now. (Just talking big thumpers)

dolphins13 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 04:15 PM
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #209
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
I wanna be able to haul ass on asphalt (10 to 50 miles) on my way to the hardesr dirt riding I can find. I travel light. I

like to jump and climb really tough hills. So extra baggage sucks for me. Usually means a 100 to 150 total miles of

riding. I want a 690 bad but the 690 wiki page has a list of like 15 things you gotta do to the bike after you buy it? So

you guys are spending roughly 10 g's on your bike then a couple more on mods? I am not a rich man. Will have to

save up for a while. thx for your advice. Now I am reading steering lock problems? I studied my 640 for a good 10

months before I found one. Was gonna get a dr. I got lucky cause I cant stand my friends dr now since riding my

bike and I used to think they ruled. I see a 2012 690 in my future. Does anyone ever go back to japanese bikes after riding a ktm? No way I would right now. (Just talking big thumpers)
It's more like $850 and not a few thousand for the "necessary" (and necessary depends on your opinion) mods.

So far I consider the following "necessary":
Exhaust (FMF Q4)
KTM radiator guards
Renazco gas tank filler neck + cap
A package of zip-ties
RR tank bolts (upper and lower)
Seat Concepts Seat

For what it's worth I've heard of several people buying their 690's for $9,300-9,500 out the door. Just call around to dealers out of state.

And the steering lock isn't a problem, you'll just have to adjust your riding style to it when doing tight off-roading.
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #210
dolphins13
orange rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
It's more like $850 and not a few thousand for the "necessary" (and necessary depends on your opinion) mods.

So far I consider the following "necessary":
Exhaust (FMF Q4)
KTM radiator guards
Renazco gas tank filler neck + cap
A package of zip-ties
RR tank bolts (upper and lower)
Seat Concepts Seat

For what it's worth I've heard of several people buying their 690's for $9,300-9,500 out the door. Just call around to dealers out of state.
Wasnt trying to be rude. I said a couple? not a few? I am trying to understand not mock. All the mods on that list, on the 690 wiki thread. Looked at a quick glance to be about 2000. I could be waay off. was a estimate. thx for your patience. Been ridin 35 yrs but a noob to orange.

dolphins13 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 05:59 PM