Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #256
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,588
Burgerkingman, I don't own your bike, but you may try a lighter oil in the forks, or revalving. Its no big deal. These bikes are set to go balls out fast.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #257
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerkingman View Post
Right now it looks like ktm cheaped out on a potentially great bike.
Not so much cheaped out as speced the suspension for a different type of riding. The 690 started life as a SM and that suspension is wonderful in that application.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #258
DirtRider50
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheebs View Post
Hey mister!!

Sam and I picked up two last week! Mines been running like a dream... Only thing thats a bugger is the tremendously super hot exhaust which after brushing against after a ride nearly turned my bum into a rump steak! We're doing a rtw trip on them so will be changing this and various other bits!

Sams bike on the other hand... First ride out (heading to our charity event to promote our rtw on bikesfunnily enough) we filled up with petrol and when pulling off gently the bubba back fired and there was a stupid loud pop... Or so we thought. He tried again... Sam thing happened... And again. We pulled the bike up and upon a close inspection discovered the throttle body had detatched itself from the engine.

We could have fixed it but out of principle with it being 24hrs old we asked the dealer to pick it up.

When the bike returned they said they had tightened it back on but the rubber was cosmetically damaged at the join so they had ordered a new one and it was sound to ride. 2nd ride out and 100miles later of steady riding and it was fine. The next day we noticed there was some coolant coming out of the overflow, thought nothing of it and took it out again.

30mins later... *pop* ... The throttle body had come off again. In the middle of Wales we fixed it the best we could at the side of the road but in doing so noticed it was spewing out coolant from the cap and over flow and the oil too was steadily leaking everywhere.

Needless to say we've sent it back to be looked at by the garage. A chap we met at the charity biking event last weekend had the same problem with the throttle body and it also randomly cutting out so we're wondering if this is a potential manufacturing fault!

Currently Sam has been left with a courtesy bike of a Suzuki v-stromb of which he is mega sad about poor boy!

Will update when I know more! Hope no one else has our problems!

My 2012 KTM 690 R Enduro has 600 miles and the throttle body has detatched itself from the engine twice. Any updates?

Thanks....
DirtRider50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #259
creedyflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider50 View Post
My 2012 KTM 690 R Enduro has 600 miles and the throttle body has detatched itself from the engine twice. Any updates?

Thanks....
I'm a bit surprised so many people have this problem but nobody has had a good look at why it happens. This happened to my 2012 690 twice in the 1st few hundred K's so the 1st place I looked was the clamp that holds the Boot to the Throttle Body. If I tightened it up all the way, I could still rotate the T/B slightly in the Boot. It seems the small spacer in the clamp was preventing the clamp from tightneing enough so I simply removed the spacer & re tightened the clamp. Problem solved. Never happened again.
This took Me all of 5 minutes to diagnose & fix on the side of the trail so I find it funny so many people cant figure this out. Some times the easiest solution is the most overlooked.
Creedy.
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #260
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Made me look.

My 2010 690 has two clamps, both with the small spacers but the TB is on tight...no rotating. And the clamps aren't actually touching.....not screwed down all the way. I've got 7700 miles on the bike, FWIW.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #261
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Thank you for this thread!! I have a deposit down on a '13 enduro R, and after a year+ of ownership of a flawless and very reliable '12 350 EXC-F, this is starting to concern me! The dealer I buy from is very good however, so I'm hoping they're familiar with these issues that they can be of help.

Question - anybody from CA, what are you guys paying for these things? Anyone else have a deposit down on the '13? The ride by wire throttle I did not know about it, but I don't fear technology that much... Things like the broken tank bolts and the throttle body backfiring off scare me more!

Thanks again for all the info. :)
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #262
Humanbeingexpert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I will be buying either a 690r or a 500 EXC in the near future. I keep going back and forth over and over and over. I dont put much mileage on my bikes. At this point, I may just watch and wait until the 2014 models come out...just to see if any FI changes have been made or other areas like the forks. The EXC for my needs seems pretty awesome, but the 690 is very versatle...help!
Humanbeingexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #263
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanbeingexpert View Post
I will be buying either a 690r or a 500 EXC in the near future. I keep going back and forth over and over and over. I dont put much mileage on my bikes. At this point, I may just watch and wait until the 2014 models come out...just to see if any FI changes have been made or other areas like the forks. The EXC for my needs seems pretty awesome, but the 690 is very versatle...help!
I started essentially the same discussion on a BMW forum and ended up with a 2010 690EnduroR. Lots of good stuff, with the nominal amount of internet noise, but it might be helpful. It was for me.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/723000-ot-ktm-opinions.html
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #264
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,273
I've got a 13 690 and a 06 WR450F, if you want to do 50+ km sections of bitumen, and mainly forestry rds, buy the 690.

Quote:

Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #265
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Just went through this. I was completely set on a 300 XC-W. But even though I wanted it, the more I thought about how I was going to use it the less sense it made. I happen to live in a state that has no public trails for a dual sport. Not a single one. I also wanted to be able to use the bike for commuting just so I could spend more time on it and I wanted the option of jumping on the highway and blasting for a couple hours - none of which was really a good thing to do on a high-strung two-stroke.

So I started looking at the 500 and the 690. The 500, on paper at least, sounded like a 4-stroke version of the 300 XC-W but with more maintenance (not looking for an argument, that was just my impression from what I read).

As for the 690, well, I was pretty worried about the added weight, and truthfully, it simply didn't look very good on a computer. That giant muffler and tacked on heat shields...well, what can I say, if a motorcycle doesn't twist your stomach into a knot then you might as well pass on it.

All it took was one trip to the dealer to see the bikes in person. The 300 and 500 are both brilliant bikes. They're light and skinny and just feel right, but there is no escaping the accommodations I was going to have to live with if I wanted to use them as DS bikes. I sort of figured this before I saw them but what was a real surprise was the 690.

First off, it looks great in-person(?). Second it's narrow, tall, and feels nothing like any of the other DS bikes. It's really just a big, street-legal dirtbike that trades a little bit of dirt manners for a lot more road civility.

So the bottom line for me wasn't so much a right or wrong choice, it was just picking the bike that gave the least amount of street that I could live with.

BTW, I realize that I just said the same thing as RideWithMe, but I had to jabber on like I was writing an essay...
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #266
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post

Second it's narrow, tall, and feels nothing like any of the other DS bikes. It's really just a big, street-legal dirtbike that trades a little bit of dirt manners for a lot more road civility.
A lot of people worldwide seem to go through this process and come out at this point ...

In addition, I found that the 690 takes a while to grow on you (i.e. once you own it) - I've done abut 7,000km on my 2012 now, and still finding its strengths and limits - on dirt / gravel roads and fire trails there's pretty much nothing better - very fast, and a joy to ride - I got challenged on a couple of steep loose hill climbs, but these really were classic enduro 'hill climbs' (i.e. not just hills), and the deficit is a bit of skills practice that I got away without on the lighter enduro bikes ...

It's an exceptional bike, and doesn't really have an equivalent in the market place now that the TE630 is off the menu ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #267
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
A lot of people worldwide seem to go through this process and come out at this point ...

In addition, I found that the 690 takes a while to grow on you (i.e. once you own it) - I've done abut 7,000km on my 2012 now, and still finding its strengths and limits - on dirt / gravel roads and fire trails there's pretty much nothing better - very fast, and a joy to ride - I got challenged on a couple of steep loose hill climbs, but these really were classic enduro 'hill climbs' (i.e. not just hills), and the deficit is a bit of skills practice that I got away without on the lighter enduro bikes ...

It's an exceptional bike, and doesn't really have an equivalent in the market place now that the TE630 is off the menu ...
Of all the bikes I've owned two have stood out. One was a YZ 125 and the other an XR500. The YZ was the most purposefully designed thing I've ever ridden. You were either accelerating or stopping and always as hard as you could. It was both exciting and exhausting to ride. The XR on the other hand was simply heavy, slow, and felt barely manageable in the woods. I hated it 5 minutes after I bought it.

Granted I have almost no time with my 690, but I'm already shocked by what it seems capable of. I literally started laughing as I was driving it home, it's that much fun.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #268
goldwinger11
n00b

Oddometer: 3
new 2013 690

I have had my 2013 690 for just over two weeks. So far I really love it even though with work/weather there is only 120 miles on it so far. I am so excited but can't help to think about all the $$ it cost.

Anyway, my question: Will putting a wings pipe and rally-aid air filter converstion kit do any harm at this point in break in process? One more please, at just under 5'9" this bike is way tall to say the least. I have read some good and bad things about lowering links and the rear shock action. ANy comments please?

Thanks,

Harry
goldwinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #269
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,659
Harry- I'd encourage you to leave the ride height along. I'm shorter than you, and you'll get used to it.

The Wings can? Do it.

The Rally Raid air filter swap is supposed to be pretty loud. I went the UNI twin pod route.

It's more bike than us slackers can use.

Dirty
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #270
goldwinger11
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Harry- I'd encourage you to leave the ride height along. I'm shorter than you, and you'll get used to it.

The Wings can? Do it.

The Rally Raid air filter swap is supposed to be pretty loud. I went the UNI twin pod route.

It's more bike than us slackers can use.

Dirty
Thanks for the response. I really do not want loud per say. The filter makes it louder than wings pipe? I had read the wings with silencer is not too loud. Breathing in and out better sounds like a good thing.....
goldwinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote