Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #91
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontwheel21 View Post
Hi,

I got this open filter today and the machine pulls like hell.
So you're saying it pulls noticably more than when stock with the Akra can, the ECU update and the open filter?
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #92
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
No, I meant to say that it pulls noticably more if you just replace the closed air filter cover with the open one CLICK plus having the Akra mapping (KM765EU12B0231).

The power is much stronger, it sounds "brutal" and you can go further down up to maybe 2200 or even 2000 rpm than compared with the closed stock cover.
Frontwheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #93
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
No, I meant to say that it pulls noticably more if you just replace the closed air filter cover with the open one CLICK plus having the Akra mapping (KM765EU12B0231).

The power is much stronger, it sounds "brutal" and you can go further down up to maybe 2200 or even 2000 rpm than compared with the closed stock cover.
Understood - thanks for clarifying. :)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #94
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:

I heard that! The bike lifts when you want it to.
It is also loud for those who don't want a lot of intake honk. Loud I say!
I'll will be checking my dealer and see if they know the number of the map they put in.

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #95
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Hi,

I have been at my local dealer today. Although we could not clarify the cause for the TPS sensor failure, he got some interesting news concerning the Akra mapping. In June, there has been distributed an official round mail from KTM to all dealers (KTMDealer.net). The title of the mail: "Akra Mapping for 690 EnduroR/SMCR 2012".

In this mail they write that the Akra mapping for slipon and the complete exhaust system is available in the download center. (Basically it is the Evo 1 mapping KM765EU12B0231 which they call herewith literally Akra mapping). Now comes the interesting point. They write that this Akra mapping should ONLY be used in combination with the open air filter cover and not just with the closed stock filter cover. They write (translated): "The mapping is not exclusively for the exhaust system!...It requires for the 2012 models the open air filter cover".

Obviously, KTM realized that the new 2012 models not just need the Akra mapping if you have an Akra without cat but you also need that surplus of oxygen intake via the open filter.

I don't have an open air filter but have a uni filter on order and am looking forward to what the combination of Akra map, FMF Q4 and uni filter will provide. I'll post up my impressions once I get it which I was very keen on but now after a little spill and some bruised ribs and strained muscles I'm off the bike for a few days at least. Happily the bike faired better then I did
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #96
MXfritz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Well I hope to add to this thread soon on my experiences with the 2012 690R I bought 2 weeks ago. But so far I've only been able to put 44 miles on it because the clutch master-cylinder was no good straight away. I bought it from a dealer in New York because my local shop is a dirt only dealer and the price was extremely low. I took it back to my local dealer who is a personal friend of the family and been since I've been a kid so I get treated well there. He tried to bleed the master cylinder again hoping the dealer I bought it from didn't do such a good job since I was taking it with me. But it turns out it was just bad. I rode it again and it screwed up right away. Its in shop now getting this problem resolved so hopefully this weekend I can put some miles on it and add some positive reports to this thread.
MXfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #97
dc1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
ktm 690 or BMW g650 x challenge

deliberating between ktm 690 or BMW g650 x challenge
For daily use and weekend trails
Big Dilema
Appreciate your experienced comments and advice
dc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #98
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1 View Post
deliberating between ktm 690 or BMW g650 x challenge
For daily use and weekend trails
Big Dilema
Appreciate your experienced comments and advice
I have owned both bikes and here is my take:

Power: KTM hands down. It makes the BMW feel like a toy. The 690 makes an easy 15-20 hp more if not 25 more. A huge difference.

Suspension: Again, KTM wins hands down. The air shock on the BMW is nice and plush if you manage to get the pressure right, but if you load luggage you have to pump it up. As soon as you want to ride without the luggage, you'll have to deflate the damn thing. But wait, you now have to load the luggage... again. Get my point? Plan on 1K for a nice rear shock. Adjustability of the KTM is great...the 690's forks are possibly a bit over sprung - slightly stiff - Where the BMW's are very undersprung.

Comfort / Vibration : BMW wins except for the ridiculous seat. So far my KTM certainly vibrates more than my BMW. But I only have 1000 miles on it. It has gotten a lot smoother and I hope for the trend to continue. The Bee Em is the smoothest single on the planet. Te seat on the 2012 690 rocks. I've gone 300mi with no aches. While its not huge
Mileage, its respectable for a stock seat. Better than it looks. As far as accessories to make the bikes more "tour able"... Tie. Touratech for the BMW, Rally Raid for the KTM. I prefer the look of a rally kitted 690.

Maintenance: 690's are certainly fickle. You may have no problems or you may get a lemon. I will tackle the problems as they come but I'll deal with the potential for issues because the bike is just phenomenal. The oil changes on both are a PITA. The G650 has a dumb oil tank that you have to drain with a hose and then bleed the system. The 690 has a crap load of different filters and screens and drain locations to service. Draw.

Conclusion: I no longer own my BMW. The KTM is that much better...but that's my opinion. I hope I was a help.
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #99
wobbly willy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question My 2012 690r KTM

Great bike minor issues below.

1. The stand sensor broke off crossing a log if you plan to ride in snotty areas get this removed. (Bike would not run in gear and could not loop the wires and get it to work). Got out of jail by gaff taping a magnet to the bike side of the sensor.
2. The air filter moulded plastic lid does not seal properly allowing dirty air under the filter. I fixed this by adding a huge hose clamp that acts as a clip so its easy to remove. Sealed it nicely.
3. Bike stalls easily especially when you need a handful of gas to get over something off idle revs. (Still working on this one however i note others with same problem). Changed map to 1 and it seems to help a bit. Have acro pipe not sure if this is the cause !!! Have ordered new foam filter and will see if this helps.
wobbly willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #100
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly willy View Post
Great bike minor issues below.

1. The stand sensor broke off crossing a log if you plan to ride in snotty areas get this removed. (Bike would not run in gear and could not loop the wires and get it to work). Got out of jail by gaff taping a magnet to the bike side of the sensor.any one got a fix for this???
2. The air filter moulded plastic lid does not seal properly allowing dirty air under the filter. I fixed this by adding a huge hose clamp that acts as a clip so its easy to remove. Sealed it nicely.will have to have a good look at mine
3. Bike stalls easily especially when you need a handful of gas to get over something off idle revs. (Still working on this one however i note others with same problem). Changed map to 1 and it seems to help a bit. Have acro pipe not sure if this is the cause !!! Have ordered new foam filter and will see if this helps.
[B]i got the 2012 akro mapping done but it still would stall every now and again but the tec did not do the 15min idle or the turn the throttle thingie after fitting it,so i did it and this for some unknown reason worked and no more stalling[/B

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #101
Canyon Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Damn, 54 miles and I suddenly have a hard start issue on my first KTM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #102
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Rider View Post
Damn, 54 miles and I suddenly have a hard start issue on my first KTM.
If you're having issues with warm starts, join the club...resist the urge to add throttle while cranking...it will start with no throttle...it just takes longer than you think....
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #103
Canyon Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
If you're having issues with warm starts, join the club...resist the urge to add throttle while cranking...it will start with no throttle...it just takes longer than you think....
Yes, it was a warm start. Cooling off now. We'll see how it starts in an hour or so. I can't understand why it didn't happen yesterday when it was hotter and the bike just left the showroom.

I did notice that it will start after a few seconds on the starter.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #104
wobbly willy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Rear chain hitting fuel tank

Washed my 2012 690 today and noticed the chain had come into contact with the moulded fuel tank. Checked tension and is within guideline of normal. Has anyone else had this happen.
wobbly willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #105
Off-Road-Adventures
Mid-life-Crisis? Me??

Oddometer: 24
I've had my 2012 690R two months now, done 2000 km so far.

From day one, in standard form, absolutely no changes, the bike was unstable at more than 110 km/h on tarmac and gravel. After a great deal of trial and error, the problem turned out to be the rear tyre. Took the TKC off and put a cheap Chinese Kings Tyre on, and the bike changed completely. Absolutely stable, better off road and on the gravel as well. My local Dealer, Simon from Wild Coast KTM here in East London, has got to be one of the best people in the business. Thank you Simon.

The bike is perfect to me. No hesitation off idle, easy starting, light, amazing suspension, almost too much power!! 21km/l.

We have now dropped the forks in the triple clamps, and reduced the rear pre-load, so that I can get my feet down. 1.5 bars front and back.

I was really uncomfortable on the bike until the rear tyre change, but now I am very confident on the bike.

This to me is really the one bike that can do it all. The seat is really comfortable, the weight is very low, and the bike has a low centre of gravity due to the tank being under the seat.

So, instead of having to put my 250 on a trailer, and then go for a ride, I can now get on the 690 with a back pack, and bugger off into darkest Africa from my front door.

I have set the suspension on Comfort, and I like the standard power setting.

Just going to make myself a bigger screen before I hit Lesotho

The best bike I have ever had by far, I love this beast. You can trickle down a slippery off road track like you can on a little bike, then ride like Rossi on the way home I am very happy

Living in Africa is a daily adventure
Off-Road-Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote