User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Pachako Pass ride today

Hey y'all! So I has taken a ride up Pachako Pass today. That theres in Gilroy to Los Banos and it cross Interstate 5 if youse familur with this area.

Now I take this root quite a lot.

But its been a long while. But I just got my old 85 Shadow 700 going good today, new MAC pipes [sounds badass!] and everything. So me and my dad took a ride he's on his H-D.

And a cool little ride. We ate in Dennys in Los Banos and it's a nice and pretty cool but nice and sunny day.

But when we's riding back, let me tell y'all. I've NEVER road in no wind like that! This wind was SO frekin strong. The while time we was up in Los Banos its super powerful. But when we's coming to Los Banos it ain't that much strength [its at out back mostly]. But DAMN!

My 700 cc Shadow I's using every cc! 5th gear nearly WFO to hold 70 MPH. This bike ain't slow, its 62 HP and it'll do 125 MPH. It felt like a little tornado! And it'd all the sudden it stops, then it blasts like hell! One time up yonder I nearly got blowed off the road! NO joke! It's sometimes hits like a brick sideways so you get blowed all over!

But a cool ride! But not safe on the way back! They says that there road is one of the most deadly in America! Some says theres ghosts lots of truckers says it. I have my own little story from a while back if anybody's intrusted you don't have to believe it though.

But fun ride. But crazy!

I has some pics of the area [not today] but I's gonna post em later.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
You've got that right: most windy road in California, that I know of.

One time, I was riding my 2004 Ninja 636 west over Pacheco Pass. I was about to over-take an 18-wheeler doing about 75 mph (he was doing about 15 mph), and a gust of wind blew me one complete lane over into his lane about 30 feet behind him. I nearly did a stoppie trying to avoid rear-ending him. Scared the crap out of me!

I make that trip at least once per year heading to the MotoGP races in Monterey. I have found naked bikes or heavy bikes are much better because they don't act as a sail. Even so, I am real cautious passing on that road, and sometimes have to keep speed near 50 mph to make the bike stick.

That pass was my dead friend's favorite road. He would keep his early 80's Honda Interceptor 1000 pegged to 110 mph the entire way, with or without passenger! (Yes, that kind of risk taking is what got him killed, but not on Pacheco.)

Although Pacheco is dangerous, the actual part of Hwy 152 that is considered "blood alley" is the portion between Casa de Fruta and Gilroy. It's 2-lanes, and absolutely no way to pass safely. Head-on collisions are not nearly as much fun on a bike as in a car.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
You've got that right: most windy road in California, that I know of.

One time, I was riding my 2004 Ninja 636 west over Pacheco Pass. I was about to over-take an 18-wheeler doing about 75 mph (he was doing about 15 mph), and a gust of wind blew me one complete lane over into his lane about 30 feet behind him. I nearly did a stoppie trying to avoid rear-ending him. Scared the crap out of me!

I make that trip at least once per year heading to the MotoGP races in Monterey. I have found naked bikes or heavy bikes are much better because they don't act as a sail. Even so, I am real cautious passing on that road, and sometimes have to keep speed near 50 mph to make the bike stick.

That pass was my dead friend's favorite road. He would keep his early 80's Honda Interceptor 1000 pegged to 110 mph the entire way, with or without passenger! (Yes, that kind of risk taking is what got him killed, but not on Pacheco.)

Although Pacheco is dangerous, the actual part of Hwy 152 that is considered "blood alley" is the portion between Casa de Fruta and Gilroy. It's 2-lanes, and absolutely no way to pass safely. Head-on collisions are not nearly as much fun on a bike as in a car.
Yea its insane! Seriously, I mean I've done rode it dozens of times all the way. But NEVER has it been like that! Espically on the way back from Los Banos! Even my dad's torque monster 1584 cc H-D he'd have to give it a lot of gas to keep up. My Shadow 700 was about maxed out to hold an actual 70 MPH [75 MPH indicated]. It had a little spot left in the throttle, felt like it have an accelerator pump although it don't at that spot. I think I could max a top of ~80 MPH or so [actual speeds].

And once we was going over that hills was insane! Its purdy insane. Man I'd not want to be on a Sportbike doing that! The Shadow was scary enough! Those side gusts was just insane! What I hate is how they will just calm down so youse like oh good, finially! Then right over the top of the hill it hits ya like a semi truck! Boom! Like what happened to you, blows you across the lanes. Its so scary, you pretty much lose control of the bike! Even my dad on his 900 pound H-D 2-up got blow a lane over at one point.

Man, for that I'd like a Goldwing with saddlebags stuffed with bricks! I think if you ride slow though it'll be alright. Seems around 55-60 MPH its much safer but still quite nerve wrecking at times.

I'm sorry to hear about your bud. At least he died doing what he loved. Wow! 110 MPH the whole way? That is just more than insane! Theres LOTs of Sireens up thru there! And with the winds and all that? JEEZ.

Yea and my story of when I has seed a funny thing was in Gilroy right in the beginning. It was near night, and it was pitch black here. There was nearly no traffic for some reason. And I's riding my scooter, and then I see a horse. It was off in the distance, in a field. Then I kept a lookin, and seeing this horse. I was driving about 55 MPH not, and I kept seeing that same damn horse! For ~3-5 miles I kept seeing it! It don't look like no ghost though, just a rider on it too. You can't see thru it either. You wouldn't think much if you see it though. Kinda wierd. Later I read in them ghost book theres supposibly people seed the ghosts of old horse and wagons there. Not so sure was it was. Kinda wierd though. I mean nobody has to believe it, I'm not all crazy about that shit but its possible don't know.