User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
RickB1975 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Rick's Big Adventure (TAT)

Ok, ok, so the trip starts in three weeks (Aug 12th). But, I figured I'd get a ride report thread started now. Doesn't the trip start long before you actually leave anyway? I mean there has been a lot of planning done already. I'm extremely excited to be underway and I figure this is a good way to utilize some of that energy.

A bit about me. I'm 38 years old, and will be turning 39 shortly after the trip begins. I live in northeast PA. It's been home my entire life. I've done some travelling, but never anything close to the scale of the TransAmerica trail. I work for a major Pharmaceutical company, been working for them for almost 15 years. I'm single and I have no kids.

I've gotten many different reactions when I tell people about my plans for my vacation. Everything from "I wish I could do that", to "Why the hell would you want to do something like that"! I guess both are fair enough. In answer to the latter, because I need to get away from everything for a while. I'm tired of the northeast. It's crowded, and everyone is in a hurry to go nowhere important. I also love riding, and cannot think of a better way to spend five weeks.

I guess most people view vacation as a time to relax. I've done those vacations in the past. But I want a challenge. Lately I feel like I've been spending my time going nowhere. I want to go somewhere, I want to just be going. I'm not interested in where I get to, as long as I'm on my way.

There is some trepidation about this trip. I have been riding motorcycles for around Twenty years. I'm also quite skilled with quads. However, I've only been riding off-road two wheelers for about a year. I've ridden some very challenging terrain, and I'm comfortable enough, but I anticipate there may be a few challenges.

As far as plans for the trip are concerned, I think all is in order. I'll be travelling as light as I can. I plan on camping as often as possible, perhaps staying in a hotel 2 to 3 nights a week. I'll be riding a Honda XR650L, that's been incredibly reliable. It's only 1 year old and well maintained. I'll be meeting fellow inmate, Woodly, at the Mississippi border on the 16th of August. He plans to join me for around 10 days.

I have Sam's roll charts and GPS tracks for guidance. I've also downloaded the tracks from GPSKevin as a backup and for options just in case I need to ride around a closed trail.

Anyway this post is probably long enough already so I'll end it here. You can follow my trip on Spotwalla by following this link:
https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=a...ult&refresh=no

RickB1975 screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 07:01 AM
RickB1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,568
First subscriber

Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Steve Lewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Tat

Just finished the western portion this past Tuesday then rode to my daughters house in Seattle . Heading home to Tennessee tomorrow . Can give you some information concerning reroute info in Oregon . This is a great ride be safe and enjoy!
Steve Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
n2o2diver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Maybe we will see you. We are starting on the 10 th.
n2o2diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
RickB1975 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lewis View Post
Just finished the western portion this past Tuesday then rode to my daughters house in Seattle . Heading home to Tennessee tomorrow . Can give you some information concerning reroute info in Oregon . This is a great ride be safe and enjoy!
That would be awesome!

RickB1975
Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Still might connect with you on the trail. We're leaving on the 10th, barely a difference. I need to start a ride report soon....
Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
Thomas B.
desert racer

Oddometer: 207
Hi Steve Lewis,
if you could share your info on Oregon (or any other info on the western part of the TAT) that would be great.
We will be back in the US in September to do the rest of the TAT.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Thomas
Thomas B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
RickB1975 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o2diver View Post
Maybe we will see you. We are starting on the 10 th.
We might. I'm setting off from PA on the 12th, with plans to be at the Mississippi border by the 16th to meet up with Woodly. But we may cross paths. If at all possible I'd like to stay in touch with you guys, perhaps you could give us a heads up to any issues you encounter.

RickB1975
Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
brokenhiplegarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
going

wish i could be going too... we are not that far away.
brokenhiplegarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #10
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB1975 View Post
We might. I'm setting off from PA on the 12th, with plans to be at the Mississippi border by the 16th to meet up with Woodly. But we may cross paths. If at all possible I'd like to stay in touch with you guys, perhaps you could give us a heads up to any issues you encounter.

I'll try, please also reach out to me. I have so many things going on it's easy to let things slip. The last 2 weeks before the departure is crazy!
Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,547
Subscribed... wish in I had the Time to go with!
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
Dilligaf75
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Might see you out there, Ill be picking up where I left off last year. I will be at the Arkansas /MS border headed west on the 17th or 18th. After Hancock/Marshall I am headed south to meet up with 5 other guys to ride the CDR up from Chama,NM Watch out for the sand pit fairly early on in MS, it comes out of nowhere at the end of a downhill around a corner. Had my first down at that spot (although I was going a bit to fast coming into it. Then later on that day keep an eye out for goats wandering the road, I swerved into a ditch to avoid one for the second down of the day...I hate that state by the way.

If you are interested in riding together for a bit, let me know, 2 days should get you across MS, and I will likely depart on the morning of the 18th. I intend to camp 80% https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...153e10e67e2333

Dilligaf75 screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 11:05 AM
Dilligaf75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 371
I think the sandpit is currently a mudpit.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,030
good luck, have fun and enjoy the time. Envious!
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
RickB1975 OP
Adventurer

Just about to head out.

Everything is ready and packed. The bike and I are set to leave. Unfortunately, it's raining hard right now. Well, I expected to see rain at some point on this trip but it didn't have to be the first day. I'll be riding GPSKevin's track to Tennessee. It's the track that he linked the TAT to New York City.

I'm not waiting the rain out, I'm off.

RickB1975