Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #181
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
Cool2 A message from The Public Boadcast system...

I want to gain some footing here and clear some things up... I do not want to mislead anyone with my references to the occasional use of plant teachers or entheogens.
I am no longer a recreational partier (though determining whether your work, play, picnic, glass of wine or any other activity is or isn't recreational is going to be up to you the observer), but rather one who partakes in a spiritual practice from time to time. When there I do deep considering and contemplation... I go inside so to speak... then I expand.
This video using a more Scienced base, is an example of some of my thoughts when I meditate:

Another example using a more spiritual and (for me) simpler base is this one from Mooji...

You may find the first one causes you think a bit deeper, and to understand things clearer. Whereas the second... causes you to feel things deeper... clearer. For me, I get the exact same sensation out of both views.. seeing them as the exact same phenomenon.

Anyhow, I will clean up the report to reflect, to you, a better understanding of when, why and what is actually happening. When you see a reference to me enjoying a moment it is at a campfire or on a remote dirt road far from other people and or traffic. If I get too creative and add lib about it being more than it is, it's because I'm trying to give you... the reader/rider some feeling of the way I'm feeling at the moment... Naturally. For most people to relate to my high energy and elation, they would have to be a bit buzzed, therefore I at times use these references, at other times they are actual.
I don't want this story to look like Fast Times at Ridgemont High... But rather a Journey of Like Minded Friends, helping ourselves and people we meet along the way, to find out who we really are... which turns out Ultimately... Simply... to be Anything you want to be.

Thanx for riding along,
Jettn Jim
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #182
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,810
Wow!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #183
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Just remember Jim, quite a few of those who would condemn you for partaking of the "Devil Weed" do so with a glass of whiskey in one hand and a cigarette in their lips.

Live never to be ashamed of what is said about you, even if it's not true.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #184
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Uh huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Wow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Just remember Jim, quite a few of those who would condemn you for partaking of the "Devil Weed" do so with a glass of whiskey in one hand and a cigarette in their lips.

Live never to be ashamed of what is said about you, even if it's not true.
Yes... I agree and am aware of the throwing of said stones.
I had gotten some flack from another forum and figured I better clear up things a bit. No shame here my brother... I'll let my actions speak for my character.

Peace and thanx for the insight,
JJ

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 09:53 AM
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #185
sandsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
JJ, only you can live your life, sure we all have some regrets, but it is our life that makes us who we are. If you are happy with who you are, don't compromise or change. Don't worry, be happy. Carry on.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #186
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
JJ, only you can live your life, sure we all have some regrets, but it is our life that makes us who we are. If you are happy with who you are, don't compromise or change. Don't worry, be happy. Carry on.
Thanx Sandman... I'm happy standing in my shoes, and have learned to sometimes compromise when it will help others to be happy, since they may be too rigid to flex themselves. I've got alot of room to move.
I just retuned a couple comments that's all... actually, it gave me a chance to better explain myself, and to put up a couple great videos that also explain me.
Aaaaaaaall Gooooooood!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #187
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,096
Holy crap. You're really keeping me on my toes.

I'm kind of curious how people are going about reading this part of the ride report. Is it tricky going back and forth in perspectives? Jims for a few days, and then back to mine for a few days. I've been finding it a bit odd, but then again I've read and re-read all these posts four or five times now.

Alright, the night at Steve's. I remember that, once we got back to the shop, we didn't really hang out for very long. I think Steve was an 'early to bed, early to rise' kind of guy. Being that the only shelters on his property was the fifth wheel that he called home and the shop itself, I elected the yard, as I think Jim did as well. I just remember rolling my bedroll out on the flattest, grassiest spot I could and slept under the stars.

I woke the next morning in extreme pain. I just of sat up and drew my knees to my chest, rocking inside my mummy bag. My pain killers were in my tank bag, which was over by the shop, so I was kinda screwed as far as that went. Jim was already up and around, so I just kinda writhed for a few minutes before I was able to crawl out and walk it off... to my tank bag.

I'm having trouble thinking back, so I can't imagine this was a very eventful day. I know we ran into town and looped around a bit until we found a cafe Jim use to frequent. Looking at his post, I guess it was The Horseshoe Cafe. We filled up and chatted with the locals for a few minutes before moving on towards the shore, where I would get to meet his Brother-In-Law.

My pictures suck compared to Jim's, but I'm gonna post them just to prove that I took some.

We just kind of hung out for the afternoon. I was given a tour of the boat and how the whole fishing thing works. I asked a ton of questions, and got a ton of answers. I admired their repairs, and watched the neighboring boat being repaired using old timey techniques.

From there, it was a run up to Mount Baker. I didn't know much about it, and had never been there before, but it was a mountain of some sort. That much I knew, and that was all I needed to know. The ride up the slope was great. A narrow, shoulderless road that wound up and towards the peak. Traffic was light, and the road was dry. What more could you ask for?

The pace picks up a bit the higher we go. Some roads just take to a rhythm real well, and this is one of those roads. Every movement was just so fluid. There was never really a need to scrub off any speed, so a spirited pace seemed to be the right pace. We ride up above the snow line and into the ski areas and looped around to make a stop at the highest parking area in the loop. I think there may have been a road that went higher up the mountain, but it was snowed in.

The sun was setting with an increased urgency, it would seem, which pushed us back onto the road before long. I don't think we made all that far down the mountain before we hit a turn off that seemed to get swallowed by the forest. I remember moving along pretty good, but in the fading light and with no open sky above us, it was hard to really see what the trail was doing before us. I hit a few drainage diversions at a pretty solid pace that shot me out of my seat more than once. All was worth it, though, as the path opened up to a clearing and one other vehicle. A couple had come up here to camp for the night and offered up a helping of noodles which we gladly accepted and inhaled.

We hung out and watched as the shadows swallowed the mountains...

The ride back to civilization was another awesome scene. We built up enough momentum and just killed the engines, coasting silently back down the mounting. I was standing on my pegs, leaning full on into some of the twisties. I think we went a good twelve or so miles before we had to hit the happy button and head back in to town.

That night was a night to remember. We hopped a few bars in Fairhaven, trying to find this club that Jim remembers spending some time in. We stumbled upon it shortly after nightfall, to find it had been closed for some time. The decision was made to just hit the nearest bar for a nightcap. That's when trouble started.

I don't even think we made it past the first round when a small group wandered through the doors. Two women and some dude in a wind breaker. One of the girls was obviously rather tipsy already, pinballing between her partners' shoulders and the furniture in the bar before settling alongside Jim. I shifted over a few seats, wanting nothing to do with this train wreck, and tried not to pay too much attention. The obnoxious one wandered my way and tried to make friends only to receive a cold shoulder, to which she responded with wandering back and rubbing up on Jim. She stretched on the bar, shower off her flexibility I suppose. She puts her foot up on Jim's shoulder, and I could see that this wouldn't go on for much longer. Words were exchanged and Jim was on his feet. I downed my brew, grabbed the jacket, and headed out the door followed shortly thereafter by Jim. We had a few more exchanges with the local crew before we got back on the road and heading for Steve's, the nearest place we had to call home for the evening.

No pics, not that they would have done the situation justice. The girl in Jim's photos that's on her phone was cool about the whole thing, and apologized profusely to us. I think she and Jim exchanged an amusing photo on their phones before the shit hit the fan, and through that she got my cell number. During the exchange, and while Jim's shoulder was host to Drunky McStumble's calf, this other girl took a liking to me (as Jim mentions), and tried to figure out why I wasn't the energetic, lively one and Jim wasn't the quiet, reserved one. I guess the age thing misled her. Anyway, yes, we exchanged Texts for months afterwards, but I wasn't all that interested to be honest. Her idea of flirting seemed to be talking trash and telling stories of her ex's and their inadequacies. Take notes here, girls, this is NOT attractive.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #188
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,096
Jim has already summed up this day pretty good. Woke up in Steve's yard to a light drizzle, then on the road by mid morning. Coffee and lunch with the Brother in Law, and back to the Long Horn once again. I'm seeing a pic of Jim's bike at Skagit motorsports, and I vaguely recall going there, but I can't remember why. Oh... right... the tire.

No pics, nothing to add until that night. Jim's got this covered.

Port Angeles. This is where we would take the ferry over to BC, but we decided to stay stateside for the night. I think we needed some seal savers or some such from the local motorsports joint. It was fairly late by now, and we were both just looking to crash for the night. We scouted around a bit, chased this river and that creek on the GPS in hopes of a pull off or fishing spot. There was a vacant sandy lot just behind the motorsports shop, so we decided that would work out. We looped around through the grass and made camp for the night alongside a pile of sand.

Here is how I remember that night going down. I barely get my helmet off before some guy across the road starts yelling at us. I can't get a good view of him, and I doubt he saw much of us. We shouted back explaining who we are.

"Relax! We're just looking for a spot to camp for the night"

"The fuck you are! I saw you pull your truck over there! You're fucking thieves!"

"There's no truck! Just two motorcycles! We need parts from the shop, we're just crashing until morning! We've called ahead, they know!"

"FUCK YOU! That's bullshit.......... Yeah, hello? Listen, I'm over here on ...... and there's some guys stealing shit from the bike shop. Yeah. Yeah, they just pulled into the lot, they've got a truck or something. They're stealing shit from the shop..."

He kept on spewing his hate. Jim looked at me and asked what I wanted to do. I told him that "Listen, we're not doing anything wrong. I'm fucking tired, and there's no place else to go. I'm going to lay down. If the cops come, they come. We're not doing anything wrong. We'll be fine."

And so I laid out my bed roll and laid down, listening to the man in the distance scream at us and talk to someone on the phone. A few times I started laughing a bit at the tale he was telling. The man saw headlights, so how he figured that we had a truck and were up to no good lifting bikes over a fence, I have no idea. Sure enough, though, two cruisers pull in and right up to us to see what's going on.

IDs were checked, they looked over our rigs, got our side of the story, and before long were asking questions of our travels and the bikes. These two had a trip planned for the following summer, and were eager to learn our ways. It felt like we were there for a good hour, in the dark of an abandoned lot, talking with these two officers. We recommended gear, bikes, luggage, you name it. We told them of some good roads to ride, and what to expect. In the end we shook hands and they guaranteed that we wouldn't have any trouble for the rest of the night. Jim stepped in just before they left and asked that the officers let the man across the way know what was going on and put him at ease. At that point I was annoyed with the whole situation and would have been content letting that SOB stew in his own misplaced hate and resentment for us, but that is not the Jim way.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #189
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
I'm kind of curious how people are going about reading this part of the ride report. Is it tricky going back and forth in perspectives? Jims for a few days, and then back to mine for a few days. I've been finding it a bit odd, but then again I've read and re-read all these posts four or five times now.
I actually enjoy the oscillations. Sometimes I'll go back and re-read the earlier post and feel another perspective. All good for me. Keep at it boys. Entertaining and thought provoking.

Ordered the Enduro Star trail stand yesterday ...
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #190
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post
I actually enjoy the oscillations. Sometimes I'll go back and re-read the earlier post and feel another perspective. All good for me. Keep at it boys. Entertaining and thought provoking.

Quote:
Ordered the Enduro Star trail stand yesterday ...
Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #191
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

I forgot to mention that back in Bellingham while at about mile 1,050 on the Odo since the rebuild.. Desiree' had woken UP!!!
Power wheelying away from every stoplight when I would take off like normal... if I held her open a through first and shifted second, by the time I lifted and the front tire touched down.. I was doing 50mph. WooHooo Whata RUSH!^)- This new engine is a BEAST!!!

Aaaah morning comes... what a wild couple a days and nights it's been... JUST MAGICAL.

Sooo nice to just lay out under the trees, wind and stars, no biting bugs to contend with, no pitching and repacking the tents...

Al does his normal park job... forgoing the kickstand.

As we take our time.. just letting it all soak in, slowly stirring about getting ready to pack up... I hear someone working in this little parking lot? I think to myself "wonder if he'll see out tracks coming out of the trails"? He's a county parks fella, and comes over and tells us there's NO CAMPING in any town/county parks!!! Only in Provincial Parks... What... ok well we were just resting next to the bikes, since it had gotten late into the night... I think to myself and gently tell him " we do it ALL the time EVERYWHERE we go, people point us toward nice spots".
Though it's a peaceable... interaction it sets a seed of bad vibe in me, one that won't even sprout until later today. Ying/Yang.....

We ride on into Sooke and find the perfect place for breakfast... Mom's Cafe.

Somehow a beautiful woman (our waitress) and ourselves, get into another deepish talk of many colorful things relating to life... objects of the same frequency/vibration are definitely attracted to one another! I'm amazed... even though it happens quite a bit, I'm still taken back and humbled by the amount of LOVE that I find flowing in the rooms we pass through.

Some road thoughts... and we're off.

Lots and lots of bicycles out and about on the Island, next stop Port Renfrow. This will end the western side segment... then we're into the interior and then up north to Campbell River and into Port Hardy. We don't really have a plan... but a couple days riding dirt and camping can't do anything other than be goooooood! Its a beautiful ride up the coastline this morning.

In Port Port Renfrew a coffee, tea, snack, wifi stop where Al helps another couple air up a low tire.

Then inland to the wonderful Lake Cowichan... many First Nations villages and people out here on the Isle.

This land is Magnificent... I seem to just be taking it in... not taking many pics.

Al and I just kinda drift apart as we cruise the endless forest... When I roll into Lake Cowichan I see construction and as they stop me, a bike shop off to my left. Hmmm kinda coool little mom and pop shop.

I need a front tube... at least would like to have a fresh spare again. I don't carry a rear anymore and my spare front had been patched already.
Once again things seem to just happen... as they would... with me meeting another kindred brother, in Dale. Without the construction I would probably have ridden right by.

He owns WFO Motorsports and loads me up with stickers.... and stories.
He started racing in the mid 70's when I did... the Heyday of American Motocross.
He rode a number 13 Suzuki... I rode a number 14 Yamaha.

He tells me of having an aneurysm a few years back... once again since having my own serious trauma back in '06, I meet another person who has recovered from serious injury. It had really thrown off his balance (Whoa ya THINK) so motocross and enduros were a no-go now! He had to relearn all the normal things like talking, eating and walking... then how to RIDE again. A Mtn Bike first... then a trials bike was the answer, and still is, it's what he rides all the time now. We talk of our races... the King Dome in Seattle, Washougal, SIR, Mammoth Mountain, Mission BC, Bend, Carlsbad. He tells me of meeting Roger DeCoster... this turns into a very special afternoon for me... I shake his hand apply a sticker and roll back out again.

I meet up with Al in front of a Drive In and we head it east toward Duncan and Nanaimo...

For some reason we went this way instead of going way of North Shore road... which is a beautiful lonesome backway into Nanaimo. The way we go has me getting that BOXED in feeling here in the mid July EVERYONE IS ON VACATION TRAFFIC!!!

This is about al I can do for picture taking... Alex and I stopped next to a Semi. I also get a shot of a KTM 525 enduro and try to play cat and mouse with him for a while.

By the time we roll up 19 (the main and only vein up the East side) I'm fed up and ready to get off the boat. We pull into a shopping center, lay down next to a tree, pull out maps and talk. I tell him I'm ready to catch the next Ferry... something has me feeling suffocated and I need to fly.
Ok... Al decides he will go north a bit then hit Hwy4 over to Tofino! Word is it's a kick little surf town, with a nice old growth forest along the way.
He'll skip Port Hardy or not... and we'll meet up in a couple days. I'll cross here and run past/through Van, down into Bellingham then over Port Angeles on the Olympic peninsula.

See ya dude.. be safe and take chances.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 07:23 PM
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #192
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Get me outta here...

I head toward the ferry terminal... when I get about 2 blocks from the entrance, I see a guy down in the road! I go around the officer who's stopping traffic, pull up onto the sidewalk, and take my sheepskin off the bike. I hurry over to the guy, road rash on his arms, blood running out of his mouth and ear... and put the Alaska Leather sheepskin under his head. Talking gently and looking into his left eye...I work to calm him down... he's a First Nations fello and I can feel his wild eyed stare going deep into my heart. He had been riding/pushing a shopping cart down the road and woman in a small car had hit him.
He looks as wild as if it were 1750 and a buch of whites had ambushed him... I'm assuming some booze is in his blood too.
Once the Ambulance arrives I wait until he's lifted clear, wipe off the blood and put my seat cover back on Desiree'. I push her clear, then fire her up, we jump off the curb.. onto the boat.
Across the Strait of Georgia...

As the sunsets I think to my self... Maybe it wasn't a bad seed that got planted this morning at the park. Maybe it was a message... a feeling... a feeling that I just needed to be at a specific place AT A SPECIFIC TIME! This injured man.. here tonight... Dale, Susan and all those people along the way.
The sudden anger I felt, the need to get free ... maybe only my resistance to what was... what now is... and what needed to be?
Glad I understand this... I'm not angry anymore.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 07:16 AM
Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #193
sandsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
That was deep. Ride on.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #194
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Des' and I float into Horsehoe Bay...we deboat and head south down the Sea to Sky highway to Vancouver, it's beautiful road up to Squamish, then onto Whistler in the daylight.
As I try to skirt the town as much as possible (I had already spent enough time down on Hastings in past years) I remember that I have a good friend Jared that transfered to school here.
Jared is a one of a kind... super smart, former Rock Climbing guide down on Seneca Rocks, former sponsored Downhill Mtn Bike racer and just a great guy. About 32yrs old 140lbs soaking wet... I watched him do a set of pull ups with 60lbs on his back more than once!!! He was theee Pro who taught us he could in a short time, about climbing on the Wall in the University Rec center. We met at a time when we both agreed "mankind was going down the wrong path".
He gave me a copy of Ishmael and we shared alot of thoughts and stories.

Anyway I remebered he was here somewhere. I pull over and call him... yup yup I'm only a mile from where your parked. He gives me directions to UniverCity (an urban development on top of Burnaby Mountain, next to Simon Fraser University) and I arrive a bit later, we stay up shooting the shit and drinking scotch and tequila till wee hours... then I crash on his couch.
Now he was a free spirited dude who had just broke up with his girl Jess back in Bloom, then moved out here because they had the best program in North America... some kind of serious study of Glacial Geology... more than just studying rocks:) it was another 3yrs of school to get his Doctorate. I never thought he'd get hooked up too seriously for a quite awhiiiile, since his studies were now his life.
Well low and behold he gets here... meets another smart student teacher girl, they hook up, she gets pregnant, now their moving to Ireland for 3yrs with a new 2yr old. WOW how quick things change.

Cool nice to hear how your doin man... next morning we walk a few blocks and he shows me the architecture of the Simon Fraser campus. Its mountain top location inspired Erickson to reject multi-story buildings, which he felt would look presumptuous. Instead, Erickson turned for inspiration to the acropolis in Athens and the hill towns of Italy, where the mountain was incorporated into the design itself.
The Academic Quadrangle Gardens...

Terry Fox alumni bronze.

This stone... maybe Garnet, I believe being the largest ever mined, sitting in the Reflecting pool.

Jared to my right in the shadows... I didn't get a picture of him:(

Jared gets a shot of my reflection in the Millenium Projects Oval...

So once again I'm glad to have spun off on a tangent... meeting up with Jared after 3yrs.
Here's a picture of him the last spring we spent together... I had taken him Walleye fishing and he also caught this 48-1/2" 33-1/4lb Musky.

I decide the only way back into the states is a backway through Sumas, the I-5 crossing is NUTS...
I'm glad I'm not riding the other way, or vice versa.

I see my second Mercury pickup of a lifetime, the first in Friday Harbor in the San Juans. Produced only in Canada, basically a Ford with other nameplates.

I go left after the crossing and regain the Mt Baker Highway for a nice ride through Peaceful Valley... then hug the coastline back to Whidbey Island and hit the Ferry to Port Townsend again.

I see the sunset blazing and race to the coastline to better see it... I meet three others doing the same thing.

I don't get any good shots though...this is it.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 09:17 AM
Old 03-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #195
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,134
God dammitt, Jim.
You rode right by my house on the way up to SFU.
Maybe next time.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote