User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #196
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,076
God dammitt, Jim.
You rode right by my house on the way up to SFU.
Maybe next time.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #197
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,643
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
God dammitt, Jim.
You rode right by my house on the way up to SFU.
Maybe next time.
LOL whodathunkit?!?
Yup Yup maybe next time...
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #198
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
LOL whodathunkit?!?
Yup Yup maybe next time...
Yep, you for sure should come back up to ride, you missed the best bits of Vancouver Island and southern B.C. {away from the population centers} : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619331
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #199
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Yep, you for sure should come back up to ride, you missed the best bits of Vancouver Island and southern B.C. {away from the population centers} : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619331
No doubt we did... I will, I'm out in Washington and Idaho coupla times each year anyhow. I just went through both your threads... EXCELLENT! My kind of Adventure!
Hope to look you up this summer sometime. Thanx for posting up that link! very nice. (Love the long flooded road video.)

Peace,
JJ
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #200
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,079
Dammit, I gotta keep up...

The next morning, Jim has that covered. A chat with the owner of the lot and a lesson in sand, a stop at the motorsports shop for seal savers and oil, and breakfast at the shack where Jim falls in love with yet another waitress. The ferry ride was fairly uneventful as well, though time consuming. That cable in the helmet that Jim's got a photo of, that's a helmet lock. Yeah, I'm not sure either. One of the highlights of the entire trip was actually waiting in line on the island. Cagers on either side were pointing at the bikes, making comments to their spouses and kids, snapping photos, and giving thumbs up all around. Another successful crossing with a machete strapped to my fuel tank.

He mentions me being in a foul mood here, and I vaguely recall being on edge all day for one reason or another. Aside from a few moments throughout the day, I wanted nothing to do with people. I'm not really sure why, though. I know I was battling some failing gear at this point, but I don't see that causing me to be a prick all day. Hmmm... Just one of those days, I suppose.

Right across the ferry, it was a quick loop around town before we stopped at the shore to people watch and get our heads straight.

Back on the asphalt, I just followed Jim for a ways. My GPS had long since met an interesting end at the hand of a fully loaded semi, so I relied on Jim for most of the navigation on this stretch of foreign land. The roads got less busy, narrower, and ever more "remote". Finally the trail just ended at a row of boulders. We snuck around, down a few trails, a creek crossing, a bit of mud, and a final run up a hillside, through a campsite, and back on what I thought was a road. This was followed as far as we could go, but eventuall a truck had us blocked in just outside of a collection of old buildings. The guy was either scrapping, or towing off an old truck. The stranger, a long haired country boy in his mid thirties. We chatted and did our thing. Within twenty minutes, we all had beer in our hands and given a presentation on the finer aspects of island life.

We were given rough directions to what Jake assured us would be an awesome spot to camp for the night. There were a few sketchy moves and some gate hopping along the way, but that just made this whole night that much more interesting. I took the lead at some point and tried to navigate my way up yet another wooded hillside. I know for a fact I zigged when I should have zagged and took Jim down with me.

I've apparently lost the ability to embed a video. To hell with it.
http://youtu.be/vK95J-eBdWA

I like that Jim struggles on his run. For once, I felt like our riding abilities were about on a level field. He still makes better time than I, but angle doesn't really give a good idea of what you're tackling. For starters, the 16 tooth highway gearing and 500+lbs setups made the entire section kind of an ordeal. I know I was slipping my clutch the entire run. At 0:15 sec there is a super narrow and tall V section between the rocks. Hitting them at the right angle sends you downstream, then a bunch of baby head river rock. A loose gravel hillside with no speed going into it at 0:55 sec, and just really loose, wet, rocky soil all the way up made this one of the trickiest crossings I've personally dealt with.

But I stayed upright, so....

For whatever reason, my camera refused to take a single sharp photo that evening.

It was all nice narrow, grassy trail. Just enough to be somewhat clear, but not traveled nearly enough to even leave any tracks. We dead ended a few times and tried every branch of the trail that we could find until finally being presented with something... rather gnarly.

Imagine a 600 yard straight as an arrow stretch of trail. It's climbing a hill not directly, but kind of skirting along the side of an even steeper hillside. So it drops off to your right, inclines to your left. It's made nearly entirely out of flatter stones about the size of your torso, and round river rock shaped like a gallon of milk. Every now and then is a big step, boulder, or log, ALWAYS covered in moss. Now run a stream down it for a few months to wash away all the dirt and mud, and there you have it. Slick, gnarly, and getting ever steeper.

I know I was concerned for the bike at one point. They were hot and it was just eating the clutch. At one point, just before total blackness, we decided to park it and walk up a ways. I had gotten myself wedged up alongside a boulder and jumped at the idea.

It got gnarlier, steeper, and gnarlier. I was done. There wasn't even any place to stop of you had to and it just didn't feel right. Just turning around was an ordeal that took a lot of time and quite a bit of team work. We managed, however, and made it back to the creek crossing before we took a break. It's here that I thought I could hear a motor or something in the distance, and I was sure it was Jake coming out to ride with us. I think Jim managed to get his voicemail here and confirmed that Jake had indeed called just an hour before. With some new found urgency, we railed back across the creek and back down the hill.

We never found him, though. We made it all the way back to the park at the base of the hill and elected to crash for the night. As I lay my bedroll out in a clearing where it was already soaking up the dew, a dirt bike came to the gate leading up the hillside. Jim waved, but the rider panicked and took off. I think we got a hold of Jake a few hours later and confirmed that he was the rider, but by then I was done for the day.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #201
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

City workers woke us up the next morning and kicked us out. I think we just hit the nearest road that went anywhere and headed west along the coast. We stopped for some food and fuel along the way and just kind of enjoyed the day. A coffee break here lead to Jim and I patching a tire for an older couple in a sedan and inflating the tire with my bicycle pimp. It was good fun.

At times the road would wind back into the woods, curving East along some phenomenal lakes and ponds. The road was rough and narrow, technically it was paved... at one time. We were led some cool towns where we ended up splitting up. He pulled into a bike shop, it would seem, and I picked an ice cream stand. I got a vanilla shake and had the kid behind the counter mix in some Starbucks Via into the mix. It was a win/win on this hot day.

Cool stuff.

As Jimmy mentioned, about half way through the day, and during rush hour traffic, that he was done. We pulled off and made plans, and from here on we would be going solo until..... He would pull off and jump on the nearest ferry, which is where his story takes off as he has already touched on.

And mine? Well...

Old 03-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #202
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Excellent pics dude... I especially love that shot of the tree growing out of the old log or rock!!! Many other nice ones too..
Now your ahead of me, tomorrow I'll get caught up to Waynes and the WestFest prebuild!
Also forgot laying Des' down when I got to the top....lol! Funny stuff no matter how ya cut it.. good to see the videos again!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 06:39 PM
Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #203
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Excellent pics dude... I especially love that shot of the tree growing out of the old log or rock!!!
Many other nice ones too..
To embed now ya gotta hit--- Like... then click embed, then click copy... then before ya paste it, hit the little square box up in the right corner of this reply deal (with the two A's in it) which changes the format. After that hit the box again to change back and see your video.

Yeah, I saw the tutorial. For whatever reason, there is no little square box for me. It's just not there. It may be google chrome, I haven't really investigated any further.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #204
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Next day dawns and I make my way over to the Plunkin' Shack for another breakfast... I had volunteered to ride back down south here to Port Angeles, so Alex wouldn't have to. This way he could have the flexibility to get off VanIsle where ever he wanted to. We had indeed left parcels that needed picked up... I looked around last night buuut since I hadn't watched "exactly" where Al hid the kitty, I couldn't find a damn thing. He hadn't had much in the way of cell signal on the Island either, soo I resigned myself to enjoying the Olympics until he got a hold of me.

I had never been up Hearts O' the Hills rd which is a nice snaky road leading up to Hurricane ridge, near Mt Angeles, so on this nice sunny day I pay my park entrance fee and scoot up. The friendly Ranger at the booth took a liking to my bike and offered up a dirt detour near the top I might wanna go check out... cooool.
I set a brisk pace and passed many other tourist (blinkers and a wave) as I wound up higher and higher into the Olympics... BEAUTIFUL!!

That was a total understatement.. I passed everyone on the road, I was leaning deep into all the turns and just plain RAILING everything, letting about 84% of it hang out.

I have a good rhythm going and once again get amazed at Desiree's handling...

Not to mention the snow capped peaks all over the place...

Along with lush green forest... due to this being the only temperate rain forest in the lower 48, it's also a World Heritage Site... again awe inspiring.

When I hit the end of the road and the Visitor Center parking lot where all the tourist are stopped taking pictures, I go back a few hundred yards and take the somewhat hidden Obstruction Point rd. It leads to a trail head and some parking a few miles down in the valley below.

This is where I slowly uncoil my spring.. and reeelaaax into the day, the speed racer mindset drips out of my brain. Flowers and trees of all ages seem to invite me to slow down and study their way of keeping time.

In this pic (to the left of the tree halfway up) and a few others you can see an old Natives face in the Mountain.

At the bottom there are only 2 other cars... aaaaaah, at the top there must have been 30, I like this muuuch betta. I take a few minutes to take in all the sights, sounds, smells and feelings then head back up to a nice overlook to rest a bit.

Yup Spring has finally sprung here in July...

Feeling all mellowed out I start cruising back down to sea level... All seems right in the world as I'm not railing anymore... just sitting upright kinda cruising down. This would be all goood EXCEPT... I'm still carrying most of the speed I had when I rode up!!!

This is a BAD combination... I start into a lefthander carrying more speed than I thought (50-60?)... as I lean Des' over all casual and all, she starts to slide out from under me... FAST!
NO WAY... in slow motion we both go down, as I start to separate from her, I watch her, lying on her side, spin in a slow circle... go off the edge almost backwards.
At speed!
I had scrubbed off speed sliding on my left side feet first and left arm out and back behind my head. As I skid into the berm/shoulder, the added friction from my digging in kinda stands me right up.
As I do this... my eyes on Desiree' the whole time, I see her SLAM into the trees! Upside down, rear wheel up, seat facing forward into the trees and forks pointing downhill.
SHIT! aaaaah man.. my perfect adventure bike.. all the months of work to create my idea of the perfect touring bike... all gone! The 4-month ride... over in 2!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 05:14 AM
Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #205
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,076
Jeez Jim.
Glad you weren't hurt badly.
That could have really hurt.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #206
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,215
Wow, whatta way to change the tone of an awesome adventure.
Glad your ok,
Crashin sucks

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #207
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Eh?

So as I took stock of my situation.. I flagged down a guy passing by and ask him if he had a tow strap??? Nope... ok can ya ask around up at the parking lot when ya get up there? Yea sure..Ok thanx.

So I slide back down the bank and start to take off all the gear from Des' to lighten her up all I can, and to also do another search for stuff that may have been thrown off.

I find that my backpack is leaking.. so that's goood, not anymore fuel! The rear SU rack is... TOAST, the factory rack even worse. The fairing dash (abs) ripped loose, forks...? The left side Pelican shows the effects inertia... as she slammed into the trees, the momentum of the case, forced the bolts slide through the material like a knife through butter!!!
A couple inches... and Pelican plastic is TOUGH SHIT!

After oh about 20 minutes still no sign of the helper dude?....
So as I stack my last piece of gear up top and strip down to my shorts and tee shirt, up pull a friendly couple asking if I need help? They had seen me on the Ferry yesterday... Hmmm... well I'd say.. YUP sure! And I haven't heard back from the other guy anyhow.
It's Spencer McCabe and his newly wedded wife NoŽll, out on the 14th day of their Honeymoon...

He's got some 6mm climbing rope, and we tie it to the front wheel of their Subaru so we can climb up and down the sheer embankment without too much destruction/erosion.. and to just plain be able to. We then plan to lay my Kevlar pants down for abrasion protection, and use this rope to haul the bike up.
As we're getting all situated up pulls the Ranger gal in the above pic?.... uh huh she got called that someone needed a tow?!? The guy I sent for a tow strap/rope had just called... someone. Well Spencer and I turn down the tow, we'll just do it ourselves... we're those kinda guys. Then as we start to tie on we realize how HARD it is gonna be to pull a 420lb ish bike up a pretty vertical slope!!!

Hold on ma'am... go ahead and call that tow guy back, we'll do the hook up and make sure it goes smooth, he can be the muscle. So this is set in motion... The Ranger girl is waiting for someone to come in as back up, to redirect traffic as we will be blocking a lane on this turn, she doesn't know when this will be?... So I say "hey do you have TWO signs? we can use NoŽl as a flag girl!"
She agrees and NoŽll gets to play a part too...

She on the down slope the ranger on the upper... it's great!

The Tow shows up.. I believe Rob is his name (real good dude) he spools out the cable... and Spencer and I haul it down... all he's got... it's about 8ft too short. He throws a chain, hook and strap down, we add length, then say pull 'er up.

We get her up and onto the shoulder, I tip Rob and say goodbye, the Ranger girl again ask what happened, then lets me sigh my autograph, to the tune of $100- for being out of control.. can't argue with that... if I were in control we wouldn't be talking right now.

I try to smooth out the gouges that we left in mother...

Then I look over the ol' girl to see what she needs and how she's doin'! She appears to be ride able.. A few seconds to clear out the extra fuel and she fires... WoooHooo! A quick bungee cord holds the fairing in place, off comes the SU rack and Spencer hands me an Axe/Hammer.. I pound it into the best shape I can. The sub frame is shot, so we bend it back the best we can, I put the pelican case bolts back into their proper holes, as we wonder of the force that moved them.

I make a mental note of the replacement pieces needed...

NoŽll brings over berries, nuts and sits down to chat... Spence and I keep on with repairs. Stories are told.... He tells of flying from Portland to Detroit with 6 buddies and buying bikes sight unseen!!! All for under $500- His was a 1973 CL450 Honda, they then embarked on their own cross country adventure.. his bike blew up somewhere in Montana and he made provisions to carry on... Great stuff man!!!
Aaah it's a wonderful hour or two as we all take in each others spirit and energy... he gives me some more cord to tie up the racks as best as can be and soon we are getting all loaded up to part ways.

They give me their address and the 555 I see starts me to figuring the numbers today...
Today is the 14th... the mile marker here at the crash is 14... NoŽl and Spencer were married... 14 days ago... My old racing number and school sports number was.. 14. Sherri's number in school sports was.. 14. She and I were married on... the 14th!

(I'll ponder this all week.. then a last visit with my sister will shed some more light)

We decide to go into Port Angeles so I can buy them dinner, as a way of sharing energy back to them, for all the energy they have given to me today, then up pulls another guy who saw me on the ferry yesterday while riding with his wife. She had to go into the hospital this morning (I forget the details) but will be alright, so he came out for a little ride too.

My arm is burned.. not road rash like I thought, and my watch scratched up a bit. The plastic/nylon jacket (like most bikers where) had melted in the slide causing an inch and a half burn circle, can you imagine a faster longer slides results!?!?! My legs though were fine... KEVLAR is YOUR FRIEND! or leather.. I'll take mesh kevlar thank you.

A last look down the bank an we're off... he follows me a ways as I swerve this way and that feeling out how Des' is gonna handle, how she's tracking... After a mile or so I loose him and feel.. GREAT... Theee ADVENTURE IS STILL ON!!!

Dinner goes GREAT... we really enjoy each others company.. Spencer... like my brother, and NoŽll... I'm in love.. her inner and outer beauty are simply intoxicating!!! As we eat, smile and laugh I realize again that, I'm glad of the accident.. it was worth it to meet these guys!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 12:53 AM
Old 03-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #208
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

As I'm leaving Spencer and NoŽll I look down and see that my Sacred Feather from Bridgeport CA is missing from my tank?... Hmmm aah shoot! Gotta be back on the mtn at the crashsite, I go back, slide down the bank and look around... and around... nothing and some more... humph. I just relax a bit and follow my senses... close my eyes and feel for it. Yup yup it's laying down here, drifted off to land softly out of sight where you wouldn't have thought to look. Thank you Great Spirit... I'm off.

I take a walk back to analize the slide and make this video...

Onward ho... I see a sign Al would like hanging in his shop...

Later on, he finally reaches me with directions to the stash, as I go dig around I find two markers to fallen riders nearby...

Bad pic of the other lights...

This reminds me... to live ALWAYS in the moment as I did today... even if it had all ended on that turn, it would have been just alright!

At some point in the afternoon I email Ian from Britannia for a replacement dash, order another SU rack from Happy Trails and source a sub frame and cargo rack from eBay... I am AMAZED at the durability of this bike!!! Into the trees today at 50-60, into the trees last year at over 70, bounced down the Dempster at over 70.. and many, many other get offs in the 35-50mph range! Can you say BOMBPROOF!!! WOW

I take off down the road and over the mountains... my memory is blurry about the rest of the day and night, it gets late and I ride through the night meeting all kinds of people in gas stations along the way.. try to help a guy cussing and yelling about his girl, to get his broken key outta the ignition, all the while trying to teach him Cause and Effect! so to speak, A woman in another C-store near Mnt Raineer... some Elk grazing in a meadow, a road closed detour I attempt to take anyway, only to be turned back by a completely washed-out, missing road.

I pull off sometime around sunrise and sleep next to the bike again, then head on into the desert of my homeland.. the east side.
Veiws of majestic mountains, lakes, and meadows... memories of rides past... appreciation for this ride... all just swirling in my mind.

By midday it's time for another nap in a rest area near the Vernita Bridge, just down stream of Priest Rapids.. a sacred holdout of the Drummers and Dreamers along the Columbia. I pull Des' up to a Pine and lay down.
I can feel it...

I decide my new destination is Gene's place... on the Potholes Reservoir.

I make it in and call it another day...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 01:03 AM
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #209
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,403
And using the default settings, we're on page 14....

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #210
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
And using the default settings, we're on page 14....
Spooky...

I remember getting the text that day. Something along the lines of "Dood, Des and I just took a hell of a trip. Slid right off a 50ft cliff." I remember nodding a bit, and thinking 'Yeah... that sounds about right'.