Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #316
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,740
I start to diagonal my way across the farmlands just south of the Finger lakes region and onward into the Upstate area of the Adirondack Park.
As I go down a stretch of backroad I come to a road closed sign and piles of dirt... being on an enduro I go off into the field following a quad track to see if I can continue?
The road ends near/ where a bridge used to be... washed out by one of the recent 100yr floods, two within the last 5yrs.

It's shallow as all get out that's a plus, I'm fully loaded that's a minus, the far bank is kinda steep... another minus, it's a short bank... another plus, rocks are slick a minus, rocks are ALWAYS slick.. ok a plus. Won't get much of a run in the water that's a minus, too much speed would probably kick us waaaay to high anyway ok then another plus, entry is very gradual, the final plus, well they seem to balance out, or even be in our favor, soooo we go for it.

Looking down the ledge after a successful crossing... yup it was STEEP!

Cool beans loving my bike and one of the many reasons I don't ride heavy Adventure, Sport, or Cruiser bikes.
Onward...
A boulder with a plaque piques my interest... then causes my to take the dirt road next to it.

Glad it caught my attention...

Rural America...

A homemade Equestrian course LOL... I just love it!

I go around a moped rider and give a friendly wave as Des' speeds past... I hope he is enjoying the scenery as well.

It's one of those days where the clouds and sky contrast sooo beautifully with the land...

Beauty around Lake Como...

I miss the frame of this cool VW bus, do to not stopping. It's painted in a style reminisce of the Haight Ashbury Flower Power theme, yet perhaps more of a graffit style...

At one point as I round a left hander cruising at about 60mph with my shield fully up and glasses on, I take a bee into the left of my helmet!!! As I instantly unlatch the helmet, and start to take it off, hoping to avoid pinching/ pissing off the bee (all while bringing Des' to a stop) the bee stings me in the temple!!! I scrub speed SO FAST that your mind would warp ( stopped in about 60 ft I bet, all the while riding with one hand, no hands and finally she stalls in gear) and have my helmet off and my Oakleys bouncing down the road, all before the bike comes to a complete stop! Yes you can do this kind of stuff when you engage your timeless consciousness... time seems to stop or stand still as you move at a speed that defies earthly rational.
I walk back to recover my shades while scraping my temple with my credit card to try and remove the stinger... the only failure in this little maneuver is that I dropped the shades. Otherwise a pretty amazing/ cool save. Another thing is that the helmet removal may have also caused the sting... it will take more calm in the future to resist that urge and move more slowly, trusting that nothing bad will happen.

Knowing that I was allergic to bees as a kid, I go down the road a bit and find a nice grass patch to lay down in. Just to be on the safe side and examine my senses... since it was delivered direct to the temple.

I resume the ride albeit a good bit tireder than before... I notice this effect sometimes after the sting and adrenaline my body produces to thwart the poison.

As I pull over an hour later to rest for a 15min. power nap I see the poor victim of the impact laying on my seat...

Between the Sting and my destination I come into small town America and can't get through... seems the Central Square Homecoming Parade is marching down the main street and highway... ok I'm sure I could have, buuut who would wanna miss this?!?
I later remember passing this town almost every weekend heading to Sandy Pond to Salmon fish in my earlier hell raiser days.
I decide to decelerate a bit and soak it all in!^)-

Soon I'm in Old Forge saying hello to old friends and enjoying the Chain of Lakes...

Take a ride down the driveway of the house we used to rent on 4th Lake, leave a note, and look across the lake from the front yard... we used to ride our sleds right onto the lake and hit the trail systems. Great years!

As I pass Kirsty's Red Dog Tavern I look on with FOND memories of years and years of good times... not yet realizing that in less than an hour I will hear about her death two days before as she was riding her bike to work!

Death....hmmmm (a word used in our culture to explain a time when someone is no longer here with us, in the bigger picture death is purely an illusion, it does not exist as an ending to life, just an end to our human form, as far as this worldly plane goes and to most peoples understanding, it's a truth, but in reality only the death of a form exist as energy cannot be destroyed, it only changes form, and all matter visible and not, including light is made of energy) Man we still here on earth often can and do feel sorrow for the loss of a friend or loved one, because we often times long for their company. We come to attach ourselves to each other and things quite strongly don't we, and that's alright, it is what it is. But then at some point a person may finally decide to let go of that memory (in a sad or negative/ loss sense) and live their own lives again... touching on the memories (now in a positive sense) of those moved on as rather a celebration of the time shared.
If a person decides to wrap their mind around the fact that they, as the core being that they are, are in fact infinite, enjoying life after life... it can go along way toward enjoying ~this~ life to the fullest. WoooHooo!^)-
Anyway this topic is still fresh in mind, since last night I spent 5hrs talking to a friend whose uncle (another friend of mine) had just past on the night before. The shock caused him to really re examine his life here and the choices he was making day to day...

OooKay back to the story...

I pull into the Northwoods Inn for dinner and to see my buddy Brian for the first time in ages and also to see about crashing at his place tonight. He tells me about he and Alexis's new baby Morgan. He then tells me of Kirsty's accident... I realize of course there are no accidents... trying to wrap your mind around that one is another paradox of this reality. Morgan comes in and Kirsty moves on.
A new waitress Heather works with Brian now and we connect talking about rocks, crystals and such, Citrine and Emerald. She was on the road for 3yrs touring around with her pooch, a Pitbull named "LittleMan". She gives me a couple stones as gifts, I bid her Namaste and I eat.

The sky is starting to darken and I deliberate another 30min ride over to the Stillwater Reservoir to visit the owners Joe and Marion... Yup it'll be perfect. I have time to burn as Brian is working till close anyhow.

The Three mile cutoff trail where we jump off and ride our sleds, when the ice is on the "Flow" in the winter months. It takes us out across the reservoir letting us save time on the road as well as wick 'em up to over a 100mph out on the ice...

Here I meet some new folks blowing off steam, make some new friends...

Then back to over to Old Forge to Slickers and then into Thendara to visit friends at Tote's Tea House where I run into my cutest new friend...

At the end of it all I walk over to the water... gaze in... look up into the stars and say... Thank you.

Good night.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 03:11 PM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #317
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,181
Happy new year Jim !!!
I was hoping for another post of this ride to read today, but you are probably recovering today !!!
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #318
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Happy new year Jim !!!
I was hoping for another post of this ride to read today, but you are probably recovering today !!!
Hey Thanx and a Happy 2014 to you too!!!
Nope I'm sober as a church mouse today... last night was out with Jenny having a calm couple drinks, a puff or two and a reunion with a few old friends.... a couple who were verrry puuurty WoooHooo, good energy! Then barely kept the eyes open to see the ball drop back home with Sherri and her Grammy, the last two pretty girls I saw in 2013.

Working on the next post right now
Old 01-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #319
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

I've gotta tell a quick story about a cool ol' dude I met on the way back from visiting "Gunny" about the same time frame as the Trans-Lab ride.
I pulled into the Green Shingles Restaurant just off Rt 15 in Lindley, NY for a bite one dark night on my way back into PA. As I'm talking to the older pretty lady who owned the place name of Denise, asking if there is maybe some soup or other chow left laying around, since it's after the kitchen had closed for the day. A guy named David Westover sitting next to me chimes in asking about Desiree' sitting outside. He cooks for and leases the restaurant from Denise. His girlfriend gets up and goes into the kitchen to prepare me some food (talk about nice people). As she's doing this he starts talking about racing bikes back in the 60's and 70's...

Well I just sooo happened to start riding in 1971 and had owned a couple 60's bikes, it was a fabulous time in American Motocross history, it's heyday so to speak! This gave Dave, a former Pro from SoCal a platform to start reveling in old racing stories... the stories he tole me were to numerous for me to remember... and repeat here, Saddleback Park, Carlsbad, Glenn Helen etc... but I do remember a couple pieces. He said he used to hold "Corki" Moore's throttle at the starting line as Dave was kind of a mentor to some of these young racers. I believe Corki won the First Superbowl of Motocross at the LA Coliseum in the 125cc class back in 1975.

Dave had been kicking ass on SoCal tracks and caught the attention of a certain mother (Jacqueline) who ask if he'd teach her son how to ride a bit better.
The son was David Moates... yup brother of the legend Marty Moates. Turns out Marty was a bit hungrier to learn and took the sport to a bit higher level. So it ends up that this stranger Dave, that I meet in a NY restaurant winds up coaching them both.

Marty was the first American to win the USGP at Carlsbad back in 1980 in an Upset victory, as the pic above shows... as a privater and at the tender age of 23, he became a national Hero. No American had defeated the more experience European riders in the 10yrs of the U.S. round in the 500cc class. He was also a Co-Founder and VP of No Fear Gear and FMF International soft goods.

Dave also tells me about Bobby "Evil" Knievel dying while still owing him $175- lol. I ask if he was as tough a guy as we may think or just crazy sumbitch... basing on my view of David being Pro Motocrosser feeling that he was no puss, and my own pretty damn fearless life.
He said that Bobby had bigger balls than us both put together!!! I took it that the man TRULY was a badass and nodded my head in respect.
As far as the $175-... he said they were partying in the "Corporation" Bar in Ensenada, CA as Dave worked with Evil on some of his stunts including the Hells Canyon jump, and Evil ran up a tab saying he'd take care of it later on... well at nights end everyone was super FUBAR and Bobby had skipped out on the bill! Dave laughed and told me that Evil would do that to friends sometimes as a joke.

Anyhow I love how being open to people and a bit of a talker myself get's me into some magnificent conversations as I ride around the Earth just taking it all in!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 02:40 PM
Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #320
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

I forgot to say that I'm try'n a new tire combo on Des' this trip, a T-63 Front which I've come to love for road and moderate offroad, getting nearly 8,000mi on them after swapping them around once, and a K-60 Rear. It's new to me, kind of a 70/30 leaning toward the street, it's supposed to wear really well. I know the T-63 will make the whole loop up and around the TransLab, and I hope this new rear will do well also?!?!?

Sometime in the morning I had got a contact from Feike "MotoMedic" saying that he was in Maine on a private Island with a friend from Santa Cruz. He was leaving for Key West later in the week but that he'd be around if I wanted to say high, and a free bed awaited! Yup yup I'll be over as soon as I can.

With this it's goodbye to friends and hello to the Beautiful ADK Park! It's late September and the leaves are looking goooood.

Raquette Lake...

Others enjoying the scenery at a slower pace...

Some Turkey's skidaddle'n it outta the way... still 2 months till turkey day.

The colors a com'n on...

Aaaaah....

Starting to roll down onto Lake Champlain now...

Alotta cruisers in the region this time of year...

Some not having as good a day as they'd like...

Cool bridge going into Vermont, lighthouse and nice flat rich farmland on the other side...

I get hungry for a snack and some coffee and find Pratt's Store complete with a pretty girl working inside...

It's here that I meet Greg Sands a musician traveling with his wife Amanda, son Kalib and pooch named "Brute" We spend a good 45 minutes discussing life, energy spirit and the universe...

It's an amazing conversation that as usual I wasn't expecting to have... Turns out his father was a Physicist so he had an early interest in the Universe. When it all ended I gave Greg a link to this ride report, he gave me a Myspace link, then we all motored on.

Capturing the sun, more farms, and more regional architecture...

I have to laugh when he number 14 pops up again...

Later in the day real hunger grabs me and I pull into a Greek bistro...

I meet Dominica, enjoy great food and spend... you guessed it, some time talking about life.

It's funny there were a few groups in the place, families, children, couples etc... and one group of four adults had noo problem belching and cussing like they were in their own kitchen. I found it a bit odd really, yet they seemed pretty comfortable and not really unruly about it. Hmmm interesting.

As the shadows lengthened I found my way to meet Feike and Phil on the enchanted Isle...

I was introduced, we smoked, had a few beers and I was shown to my 100+ year old bedroom.

Phil is an 11th generation Mainer and I was a guest in a house on an island, that had been in the family for over a 100 years, cooool!
A great way to end a day...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 05:37 PM
Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #321
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
HighAdventureTour 2012: From Insanity and Beyond....

Dude, how about the crapper in that place? Up the rickety stairs (ladder? The treads were about 4" and the risers were like 8" or 10" ) and in a room by itself that had probably been a closet before the "remodel".

Such a cool place though. Easy to see the turn-of-the-century vacation cabin under all the "modern" amenities.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #322
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking

Yo Feike... haha yea that indoor outhouse reminded me of a Mexican Banyo, with the directions to "put your shit paper in the trash can, we only flush shit and water" hahaha.

Deffinately a closet back when the only outhouse was indeed OUT! Awesome place... and thanx again for inviting me up!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #323
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,805
More report please

When are you returning to the PNW and is the Jamboree in June in your line of sight?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #324
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

The Isle of Pine....

Exit night... enter light...
I'll post up a few pieces and pics I had posted on the days I actually hung out with Feike and Philbilly.

Sunrise on the Lake...

And a bit of mist from the cool air meeting the warm water... hmm maybe a morning dip would have been the thing to do!

The bridge to Phils place... the Isle of pine, the house and Island have been in the family over a Hundred years, the bridges age... not sure?

Next morning Feike decides to make us Pancakes! WoooHooo no shit really... warm syrup and all, I think he's a frick'n chef or someth'n. ( I later realize after spending a decent amount of time with him.. and consuming 4-5 meals without succumbing to illness or death, kidding... his food is SUPERB, he IS a CHEF!) If ya get near the Handlebar- Bar, Restaurant and Bike shop in Spokane off Trent, drop in and grab a bite!!!
This Handlebar not to be confused with other bars named the same in the Valley, it's all new.

And if your scoot needs some work, they can do that while your eating... Ain't that a great idea!

Smil'n Phil...

Feike and Phil are heading to Lubec the farthest point East in the Continental U.S. a mainstay of Feike's Four Corner Tour: (yo where's the RR MM?!?!?)
aaand since I'ma kinda heading thataway myself we all gear up for a ride.
Feike sport'n his Roadcrafter as we load up...

Phil in some cooler weather Snowmobile duds I'm verrry familiar with... it's a balmy34F

Gotta add these guys RIDE... no pussyfoot'n around here... I like it!^)-

We split up on the way there since their haul'n ass on the Interstate trying to get to point A. I want to keep to the back roads on this trip and spur of the moment I decided to do a last minute oil change... Desiree' was talk'n to me, meaning I start to hear some racket goin' on between my legs... I hit up a Wally and do the prerequisite 20min oil change. I also wanted to check out some cargo trailers... this idea comes into my head kind of??? I dunno, but as it will turn out my fate seems to be that... one will be required to haul my equipment and half my worldly goods in my somewhat near future.

We're in the Maritimes eh...

Snowmobile oriented, but... gets me to thinking.

After Des gets some fresh oil and while running the backroads I see a town named Hope on the GPS... that or I just happen to ride into it?!?!? Either way I like it. There's a little general store with Post Office (I love these)... time to get a snack.

The guy and cute girl working there are super friendly and I also notice this neat rideshare notice... great idea to help one another in the community!
This kind of activity seems to get lost in our bigger towns...

After taking it all in it's time to suit up and keeper headed east...

Starting to see the architecture that will dominate my next few weeks...

Parallel bridges with distinctly different styles... yet both supported by cables and towers from above, cable stayed I believe they're called.

Lots of red and formerly red barns in the area.. the last also housing or housed a Museum of sorts.

Soon I roll into Lubec... yup furthest East that I've ever been.

I ride into town talk to a neat husband and wife couple at a gift shop, Amy and Todd originally from central New Jersey, go into the Inn in on the Warf.. hear that a couple suspecting CHARACTERS meeting their description had just blown through, then circle back westward to find them at a motel with a CUTE owner who I didn't get a pic of... :( and Feike deep into his bike?!?! Panels in the grass etc... what was goin' on there again Feike???

A close up for ya'all...

We make our way again to the Warf to see our most Easterly sunset uh huuuhhh...

I just love the lines of this boat... Phil saying something about owning one just the same.

Then its more PPP and bullshitting into the night... before ya know it it's breakfast time again and another Puuurrrty girl to flirt with. At least Phil was flirt'n LOL.
Lidia from Bulgaria... oooooh boy Phil and Feike were smitten... me just being friendly!^)-

She was such a sweety... she has been here on a work visa for 4 months with 1 more to go before returning home.

She's working with Paul our Chef with all the interesting jewelry and body art, who is riding a cute little 365lb Buell parked outside. Our time here is a Blast and it's in turn an Awesome place.

Again the eyes acting as a gateway into another world...

Then it's time for them to quick ass beat it South and me to get North... some bad weather coming... gonna miss them fukkers!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 08:18 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #325
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
More report please

When are you returning to the PNW and is the Jamboree in June in your line of sight?
There ya goo LB

Hope to get to the Rally/ Jamboree in June yes'm! Juuust goin' with the flow for a while sooo hard to tell where I'll be.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #326
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,097
Man, this makes me really bummed out that I never managed to make it up there a couple years back. When the New England weather takes a turn for the worst, there's no man can take it head on. Well, cept for JJ, perhaps.

I REALLY need to give Phil a call. He's rung me a few times in the past and I just never managed to get back to him. If you're seeing this, Phil, I'm sorry buddy. You're not the only one. Despite feeling like a complete douche about it, I've still managed to get sidetracked.

Good work, Jimbo. Keep the good vibes flowin. And tell the Mrs. that Polito says Hello.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #327
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

The day still looks clear so lets explore a region as yet unseen by these eyes of mine, at least in the body I'm wearing this time... Forgot to add that Lubec is on the Western side of the Bay of Fundy, the Bay with the extreme tides! I look forward to seeing it from the Eastern side in a day or two. I'll head up Hwy 1 today though since I want to go through and see Caribou Maine while I'm in this neck of the woods. Then the Gaspe' peninsula that's all waaay north of where I am now. I cherish the thought of all new experiences.

Memories of yesteryear and some stormy clouds coming to visit...

Hey Alex... there's an engine laying on a pallet in front of this truck... reminds me of your van! lol

Yes again I take special notice of a cemetery...

I come to think that this propensity in me is perhaps the way my subconscious or maybe higher self... consciousness itself really, the way it has of expanding itself, experiencing and sensing polar opposites in this earthly physical reality. By taking notice of cemeteries I get a strong sense of my mortality as a human being.. that awareness of the Angel of Death always chasing me, keeps me cognizant of TIME! This is a Paradox of course as almost all reality is, since my non human form, my "other" or for some "true" being is indeed Infinte... but none the less, this paradoxical truth is indeed great at keeping me humble and grateful for the experiences I'm having at this time in the universe. Noticing as many trees, flowers, pretty girls, hard working men, women and their architecture, machines, beautiful structures man modified and natural, water, air stone.. you get my drift.
Anyhow that's how I tend to view my noticing of cemeteries right now... and not least of all... they serve to remind me of all those wonderful, awesome people who have shaped my life, danced in and out of my field of awareness all these years. Including all of you who I meet and share these thoughts with... even if you only read them, you are still shaping me.
Thanx again to all!

Oookay back to the ride across Maine...
The partial overcast has me shortened up a bit on pictures it seems by the lack in my smugmug file.

Somewhere up near Caribou, I come to some road construction and find a side road going around it, this is great as it gets me back into some bush a bit... another place to stop and breath.

Back in here the rains finally catch me and I get to do some water crossing before rolling into town... which won't be long.

I hole up here for the night after a great meal in an empty restaurant, and then finding a motel just south of town. I had had Sherri send me camera pieces to the local P.O. and need to wait until tomorrow to get them. This allows me to unwind in the lounge of said motel. (this is a strange piece of the RR as I have NO, 0, NADA pictures of this night...?!?!?
It's in this lounge though on a stormy night that I meet a large busted, good looking blonde name of Kim, 'bout 40... yup, yup cute as a button. She's the bartender... I sit by quietly being somewhat introverted which is a striking change from how people normally see me and watch the actions of her, her children who stop by, and the construction workers who are holed up here too.

She's friendly, the kids are laughing and well behaved (older teenagers in time) and most of the workers are jovial... buut a couple are a bit drunk and glare a time or two my way, making a snide remark or two as though I'm not really sitting there. Now this is another learning time in my life (aren't they all) and I ponder what to think of this behavior... hmmmm I'll just relax and keep smiling. This works fine until one of them gets smart ass while walking outside for a smoke when I ask a simple question... yup.. seen this before, mild mannered skinny, happy guy, gets mistaken by a grumpy, big, ego building/protective, type guy as weak and a good way to gain energy. Now at the same time I realize that my inner reality/ happiness/anger will and does manifest itself... hence show up out there right in my face... I do some inner searching and feel nothing amiss sooo I decide that I should follow the group outside and stop things before they get out of hand.
I don't want the energy between us to keep going in this direction when they come back in!

I walk up to him and say Yo what the F*** is the problem!?!?!!! (not the best way to communicate I agree, but again I was and am still learning) He gets belligerent and comes at me... I get that look in my eyes and step forward, preparing to knock the head off his shoulders, he stops and says "man what's your problem? I was just kidding with you" I call bullshit and say he doesn't know me well enough to 'Kid" with me! He says "you were going to punch me in the face weren't you?" I said no I'm here to help you realize your being an asshole toward total strangers! I would do a lot more than punch you in the face if you were going to keep acting like you wanted to push people around. He mumbles for a while and then we come to a bit of an agreement. He realizes his actions cause consequences, but still seems to be a bit stubborn... I realize I've done the best I can considering that I've already came this far! (having not taken to violence may have been better, to have got my point across with out facing him head on, buuut... it's all I could do at the time, with my as then current awareness, and surely it was what was necessary for us both) I know I grow each time I experience/live through good and bad.

I tell him that he narrowly escaped heavy injuries and that in the not soo distant past I would not have said more than a sentence before he hit the ground... bleeding... what if the guy (me) sitting in the lounge was a timid, week or down on his luck kinda guy and couldn't have stood up for himself, (actually having created like a magnet the outcome of being beat up? of course I see things from a different perspective now) Would he just have kept up the snide remarks and cocky remarks? It all calms down and we shake hands... I had "Flared" and yet kept myself under control considering my old ways. I walk back into the lounge and he with his group go to their rooms.

When I walk in Kim ask about the incident and I tell her the short of it... remembering then that I had indeed been at least half responsible for the situation. The universe had shown me that I still had a few demons hiding out inside.. that, I could instantly feel. And at the same time maybe there was a lesson for the big, rude guy in maybe minding his manners a bit in the future. I know that in the future I'll do better at communicating using peace, this little slip was again a lesson.

Another paradox in the universe... a reminder that dark energy and matter does exist, and as I'm shown that, I can then decide whether I like it or not, whether to play with it or not?!?! I have decided repeatedly that I really don't... I prefer love and kindness... yet I do visit it now and again, like I did tonight, as a reminder, like the angel of death, keeping me humble and grateful for this life, pointing me in the direction of my destiny, one that shows more and more kindness to those I meet, even though there are still bumps in the road.

I hang out longer joking with a couple other guy's in the joint, soon it's closing time and Kim closes the lounge, we then go out to her car to hang out and talk some more, she's interested in travel and thinks I may be interested in making money showing people adventures, she has some brochures, but it's not really my style... she invites me to crash at her place but it's too late to speak to Sherri about it and I already have a room here so it's goodbye sweety, glad we met.
I go back to the front desk and leave a book with the pretty night clerk who checked me in, she promises to give it back to me in the morning, I tell her to keep it.. we had covered a lot of ground as we spoke earlier today.

That ends the day.. a short but sweet one nooo doubt!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 08:23 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #328
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb Yo Al....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
Man, this makes me really bummed out that I never managed to make it up there a couple years back. When the New England weather takes a turn for the worst, there's no man can take it head on. Well, cept for JJ, perhaps.

I REALLY need to give Phil a call. He's rung me a few times in the past and I just never managed to get back to him. If you're seeing this, Phil, I'm sorry buddy. You're not the only one. Despite feeling like a complete douche about it, I've still managed to get sidetracked.

Good work, Jimbo. Keep the good vibes flowin. And tell the Mrs. that Polito says Hello.
Yo AL...HELLO! Told Sherri you say high ... she say Hi back!
I look forward to visiting Ol' Phil in the Spring... wanna go back and do this again!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 08:26 PM
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #329
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Yo AL...HELLO! Told Sherri you say high ... she say Hi back!
I look forward to visiting Ol' Phil in the Spring... wanna go back and do this again!
I want to make a run back East this summer with Carl. I'd like to jump just north of the border and ride it back towards Ontario. Too early to tell, though. I may be sinking my roots into this rich PNW soil for a spell...
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #330
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Almost into a new Province...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
I want to make a run back East this summer with Carl. I'd like to jump just north of the border and ride it back towards Ontario. Too early to tell, though. I may be sinking my roots into this rich PNW soil for a spell...
Haaa and I'm thinking of doin' the opposite and skirting around the lakes on my way back out West... Rode up around Thunder bay back in 2008 and it was beeeuuuatiful fo sho!

So I awake in the morning still questioning myself about the near fight the night before... and I realize that all of us, even all of the universe, is like an engine. We have a stroke, a compression and a decompression stroke... Ying Yang, hot cold, love hate, positive negative, north south, night and day. Everything in the universe operates on the effects of opposites/opposition. Just like a Sterling Engine working off the effects of cylinder heated on one end and cooled at the other, causing it to rotate, come to life so to speak. We all must cycle through our "stroke" in order to run at full efficiency. Some of us have a short stroke barely noticeable from the balance point of nothing, just chug chug chugging along, where others having looong strokes with extreme highs and then opposing deep lows. And all strokes in between. It just depends on where you decide to operate your engine. There's always that law of equal and opposite reaction.
I didn't realize it at the time but the confrontation last night was the way it had to be for me to release the darkness I had been holding inside all this ride. All the little bitches and gripes I mentioned at the different rallies, too many people, tight schedules, needing more space etc... it had built up and last night was like a boil popping, it was the necessary step in my evolution.
A step that would drain out all the negative exhaust and allow me to take in all the light and positive on the upstroke. All that waste was now gone and I was ready to be filled with light and heat, I was ready to accept the future that I was about to enter.
I was Free again!

Sooo after this contemplation I load up and head to the checkout desk... The girl from last night is of course not around. I tell the new woman on call about the wonderful time I had with Kim and the desk girl last night then throw my gear on Des'. There are a few couples walking around with coffee in their hands, preparing to ride out on their Harleys. We share some stories and compare styles a bit then I head for the Border of New Brunswick!) Woohoo another new province to have checked off the list, new sights to see. Of course there's always a bit of getting my thoughts in order as I will have to answer questions at the border crossing, and I can't let out too much information, since I'm traveling in a slightly different reality than most border enforcement officials.

YeeHaaa I'm in! I head North on Rt2 toward Edmuntson and the Parc National du Lac Temiscouata, yup NB seems to be as French as Quebec.

The famous Fiddleheads...

I must say that I knew nothing of these things? What were they?

A chicken dish including fiddleheads

Fiddlehead sculpture at the Saint John Arts Centre by sculptor Jim Boyd in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Fiddleheads or Fiddlehead greens are the furled fronds of a young fern,[1] harvested for use as a vegetable. Left on the plant, each fiddlehead would unroll into a new frond (circinate vernation). As fiddleheads are harvested early in the season before the frond has opened and reached its full height, they are cut fairly close to the ground.
Fiddleheads have antioxidant activity, are a source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and are high in iron and fibre.[2] Certain varieties of fiddleheads have been shown to be carcinogenic.
The fiddlehead resembles the curled ornamentation (called a scroll) on the end of a stringed instrument, such as a violin. It is also called a crozier, after the curved staff used by bishops, which has its origins in the shepherd's crook

OK now I know a little about this plant. Already onto new to me things!
It's another semi overcast day... not letting me take the sun for granted. The views are for the moment... expansive.

Mid morning to noonish I see a sign and decide it's time for something more than the coffee and OJ from the motel.

Inside about 5 men sitting and a woman cooking are all speaking French... I feel just like I do when I go fishing in Quebec, yet... do they seem a bit warmer than the Quebecers? I contemplate/regret not taking the time to have learned French and Spanish, (I plan too) which would have rounded out my language skills enough to communicate in most places. All in all I just take it all in and enjoy being an observer. After eating one of the gentlemen comes over, introduces himself in English and we talk of motorcycles and snowmobiling.
Back on the road... soon I'm rolling along the Saint Lawrence heading for the Gaspe, and the skies seem to be clearing a bit. The scenery getting very nice.

Lotsa churches too...

The day has cleared up nicely and I have skirted a lot of the Saint Laurent, now I head south toward the Bay of Fundy.

Flat, lush and beautiful...

Soon I see the 8mi long Confederation Bridge "The Fixed Link" crossing the Northumberland Strait to Prince Edward Island. I had shipped the mufflers from my old Concours to a guy living over there a few years back. It's quite a structure costing 1 Billion to build and utilizing 5,000 workers, link to info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_Bridge

Might as well go check it out... I ride slooowly in my mind anyhow, since I still wasn't sure how committed I was to the$ 35- fee that would be extracted as I were leaving the Island, as well as sitting in traffic. (Turns out it was only $18- I may have missed some interesting stuff and may have spent the night there?)

View from PEI...

View of the massive Strait with it's 20+mph Tidal currents...

As I get about a quarter across I come to some construction... just the sign I need to abandon the crossing and turn her around. Guess I wasn't feeling the charm of the Island after all.

The clouds forming nicely again...

Soon I make it to another landmark for me, another Province to check off... and back to English speaking folks again:)

I had been skirting back roads again trying to avoid Hwy 16, 2 and 104 but nearing the border I'm forced to rejoin the main roads. After a short bit I go back into the country and soon find myself in the quaint village of Joggins.

Home of the Joggins Fossil Cliffs a World Heritage Site and special place on the Cumberland Basin, a sub basin of the Bay of Fundy. Once again I stumble into a unique place I had no plans to find.
Link to great information here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joggins

I decide to walk down the wooden and stone steps to check it all out...

Very cool rocks and fossils laying around, and a few groups seeming to be studying them...

I am exited to find this little fossil rock or to have had it find me... very nicely intertwined with plant matter.

Back up top there are some nice flowers and a Heart shaped sand box for the kids...

That was a nice find... I ride off thinking of maybe heading over to investigate Halifax but do to a feeling, I decide to turn it Northeast and head for Cape Breton Island.
I feel some more rain in my future.
After crossing the causeway I pull off trying to decide how far I'm going to ride into the night? I don't really want to miss any views do to darkness.

Someone in that tree over there...

While I contemplate, this guy watches me looking for a meal...

I pull into a motel and hangout beside it for a while.... nooope the vibe isn't right! I'll keep riding... now to decide a route. On the GPS I see the Isle Madame off to the east and decide that I juuust have to take a ride around any island named for woman eh!!! The rain and lack of lighting create a not sooo photogenic ride...

Very old Cemetery...

I see that I am indeed going to miss some scenery but feel like keep'n on keep'n on, so I keep riding toward Sydney catching onto the 104 and along the Bras d'Or Lake.
It's not a picture taking ride but I soak it in all the same, this is indeed a MAGICAL land.
Soon I feel a calling (not to mention it's pure black out by now) to stop at some little cabins for the night still south of Sydney proper... It will be nice to dry out my gear and rest Desiree' since she's making some noise again.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 06:59 PM