Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #331
BigDogRaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37

JJ,

This is great stuff man!!!

REALLY diggin' this RR. You really have a way about your travel "style"
Spreading POSITIVE energy around as you travel.....love it!!!

Keep this coming, is there still a RTW trip on the schedule?

Thanks for taking the time to share all this with is

Peace

Jeff
BigDogRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #332
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog04 View Post

JJ,

This is great stuff man!!!

REALLY diggin' this RR. You really have a way about your travel "style"
Spreading POSITIVE energy around as you travel.....love it!!!

Keep this coming, is there still a RTW trip on the schedule?

Thanks for taking the time to share all this with is

Peace

Jeff
Thanx Jeff, your welcome and your comment is much appreciated.

Yes there is a RTW ride planned... juuuust not sure quite when as of now. I had the opportunity to do it starting this year in 2014, but instead invested those resources in a pc of property in Washington State. Now in the planning stages of what this move will entail... I will admit that I sometimes lay awake at night thinking "what the hell have I done!!!" I have to calm myself down and remember that I can do it all... just have to wait until the timing is right. Trying to thin out my possessions and really focus on what is important to me right now.
It has to include helping people to have fun and be as happy as they truly can be.

Time will tell....

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 10:33 AM
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #333
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Morning finds me and my faithful steed at the Garden Court Cabins in Sydney Forks...

It's a group of 9 cabins owned by Lyndon and Nancy Farrell and their beautiful kids. We talk for maybe a half hour in the morning over some coffee and I decide that this is just the warm place that I need to chill out and regroup. The cabin is warm, cozy and clean... they give me a greeeat rate and I have to say I recommend them to any who travel this way. Pets are welcomed and so is smoking, ya just have to step out on the porch to light up.
I find that my cabin number is... you guessed it #14! There's that number again for the umpteenth time this ride! hahaha

I wake up, unwind and decide to spend a couple days exploring Cape Breton. I'm sad to say that it would take a few weeks to do it proper thank you, but I will only use up a couple days on this journey. A return trip seems to be in order.
I decide to do some bike maintenance today and chill out a while, so I pull Des's front wheel and spin the T-63 around to extend the mileage.

Steve's TrailStand is once again doing its magic! I just love the little 9.7oz thing, it saved me from making up an aluminum crutch stand and packs sooo small!
I notice Des has a slight oil leak as evidenced by the nice little rainbow on the wet macadam... pretty in the sky maybe but not a sight ya wanna see under your bike. I decide to search out a place to do the 2nd oil change of the ride, and I'll snug up the Doo and cam chain while I'm down there. I wasn't expecting to be doing any oil changes until the mid point in St John.... buuut the light squealing I'm hearing has me remembering low end bearing failures of the not soo distant past! Not to mention that I have been zigging and zagging around a bit which has increased my mileage on both the tires and the engine. I figure the least I can do is keep fresh lube in her boiler room and hope for the best. The noise is still faint so I hope for the best.

I notice in the colder air when pushing it hard in the corners that my new test tire, the rear Heidenau K-60 walks out before I'd expect it too. I have a lot more confidence in my old D606 rears and can definitely push them further before they slide. I take note of these quirks and decide to slow down a bit. If the K-60 can get me another 1,500 to 2,000 miles over the 606 then I'll take the trade off for this kind of ride. So far it's not quite panning out in the Heidy's favor though.

I scoot up to North Sydney, locating a Wally world and finding a much more helpful, friendly kid in the service department than the last one, then decide to tip him a $5er for disposing of the oil for me.
As I'm draining the oil along comes Phyllis Jardine:) pretty in pink... she just come a waltzing right on up.

We talk for the entire duration of the oil change and she directs me to "Simeons" restaurant for my lunch. Then gives me her phone number and address in case I should need anything! Wow already the kind folks are showing up. She's 72yrs old and "been everywhere" she tells me. Lived on Vancouver Island, BC for 50 yrs ... Married but no ring "It's Bullshit" she tells me, she says she also used to teach Sunday school classes... "Bullshit Too" she says... No good or Bad... all people are good inside!^)- Wow and I didn't even start this conversation!
We shake hands twice and really enjoyed the pleasure of our meeting, then she quickly mosies off... what a lady!

I take her advice on the way back to my cabin and stop in at Simeons to eat some seafood. It's a simple little metal building... a mom and pop kinda diner. Yet as I sit there observing the people eating and sharing their lives with friends and family, a pianist is there serenading us all ... what a way to end the day.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 09:15 PM
Old 01-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #334
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,107
Super report Jim !!
I enjoy and look forward to every post.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #335
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Today I decide to take a ride up around the Cape Breton Highlands National Park on the Cabot Trail. Named for the Discoverer John Cabot, it will lead me up to the northeastern tip of the Island and back down to through Cheticamp and through Margaree Forks where it turns inland back over here to Sydney Forks.

Cabot was an Italian explorer whose 1497 discovery of parts of North America under the commission of Henry VII of England is commonly held to have been the first European encounter with the mainland of North America since the Norse Vikings visits to Vinland in the 11th century, led by Leif Ericson. The official position of the Canadian and British governments is that he landed on the island of Newfoundland.

On 5 March 1496 Henry VII gave Cabot letters patent with the following charge:

...free authority, faculty and power to sail to all parts, regions and coasts of the eastern, western and northern sea, under our banners, flags and ensigns, with five ships or vessels of whatsoever burden and quality they may be, and with so many and with such mariners and men as they may wish to take with them in the said ships, at their own proper costs and charges, to find, discover and investigate whatsoever islands, countries, regions or provinces of heathens and infidels, in whatsoever part of the world placed, which before this time were unknown to all Christians.

Hmmm... "heathens and infidels" eh, with this I was set onto another exploration of my own.

Just south of Bras D'or near an intersection leading to the Newfie bound Ferries I find a bite to eat... not the healthiest of choices, but what man could resist the name on the sign.

Hell ya I'm in... Lick a Chick it is!
Across the bay sit some of the Ferries which I'll be boarding in a day or two...

The sun rises in the east welcoming the new day and we're off to explore...

As I turn northward the clouds and fog start to block out that sun...

We cross a couple inlets on our way to Hwy 312 The Cabot Trail...

About here is where a small problem comes in... my second camera of the FIAB Tour, a used Olympus off eBay (replacing my destroyed one from MT) decides to... well take a dump basically!
Damn!!! Here I am riding the Cabot trail on the Beautiful Isle of Cape Breton... and I cannot properly record... visually for my report the journey. I shrug it off and decide to enjoy it all as usual, albeit without the camera grabs that I'm so accustomed to!

Sooo for sake of sharing some of what I experienced I'll cheat and throw up a few pics off the web for you all.
The road skirts the cliffs just hanging along the coastline and is truly a spectacular Tioga Forest region meeting the lapping waters of the Gulf of St Lawrence and Atlantic Ocean.

Soon I'm passing through the Highland Links Golf Course and I feel like I'm in Scotland! Wow even just the small piece I can see is SPECTACULAR! Even though I used to golf, I would like to just ride a cart around it to take pics. Later on in my journey someone tells me that people do just that. It's one of the Top 100 courses in the World.

Just up the road is Ingonish and I'm swayed to pull into a little place called the Main street Resaurant and Bakery to get some coffee and pastry in my belly.

This photo of Main Street Restaurant and Bakery is courtesy of TripAdvisor
I meet and sit next to a pretty and friendly little lass, we share stories and I soak in the vibes... soon it's back to the road where the skies are intermittently sunny and then clouds would blow in.

At Neils Harbor the road turns inland and crosses over to the Gulf side. At a little bay called Ashby Bay I pull off onto a road leading through the quaint town/communities of North Bay, South Bay and Cape North. I decide to try and ride as far out onto the North Cape as I can.
I take Bay St Lawrence rd to a little dirt road numbered 6014 and go go go... Just off onto the dirt I pass a little kid riding toward me on a little dirt bike, cool I think to myself, just the way I started. A mile or so later as I pull off to tend to gear he zips past again and joins with his father on a quad. I keep going out onto the Cape as the road turns to double track and then to a trail. Soon its HEAVILY rutted and I'm enjoying myself weaving in and out of heavy brush and avoiding ruts 2ft deep. Some rock crawling and water crossings soon appear, and the trails, which are old roads from days gone by get tighter and then steeper.

I'm really bummed to not have pics as this is the most offroad I'm going to get on this tour!^( I keep trying to get down to the water and touch the Cabot Strait. But alas the cliffs are steep and soon I'm way down a steep loose rocky section that I know is getting steeper and steeper. It's super loose and soon I'm laying Desiree' down on her side so that I can drag her around, pointing back up the hill. I have to down dress, take the cases off to lighten her up and then fight back up to the spot where it flattens enough to gear back up and reinstall the pelicans. After looking at the maps I see that I may have taken a wrong turn because the 6014 should have taken me to the Light House... In any event the road I was on wasn't in any kind of condition to allow any service trucks and even a serious 4x4 would be goin' slooow!

Now a bit sweaty I weave and dodge enjoying my return ride back to the main road. This time I turn right instead of left (which leads back to the Cabot Trail) to see where this road will lead me... It turns into the Meat Cove Road and drops into a spectacularly beautiful little cove called of course Meat Cove.
This whole northern coastline is AMAZING!!!
There's a campsite there and I meet a pair of adventure bikers there from points further west setting up in a small cabin.

I find these old lighthouse bases and luckily someone else on the web did too...

Here are the campgrounds as I saw them too...

A final painted image of the place...

After taking in the views... I roll back to the Cabot Trail, whereas a little while later in Pleasant Bay I pass the Gampo Abbey, a Western Buddhist monastery in the Shambhala tradition. Founded in 1983 by Choygyam Trungpa Rinpoche. I'd heard of it reading Pema Chodron and Choygyam's books. I decide to check the web when I get back to the cabin and maybe visit it while I'm here...

Just as I get near the southern border of the Highlands park, just after the sun has set, I come up on a Moose! The first moose of the trip so far... he's BIG with what appears to me to be a good 72" width to his massive rack, that's Alaskan moose size we're talking here, yup as far as my arms can spread, he's just massive and he's standing in the road.. about 40yrds in front of me! I instinctively get up on the pegs, fully squeeze the front binders... stand on the rear pedal applying as much force as I can to avoid lock up... she dives deeeep, the forks super compressed, the rear tire slowly lock/rotates, leaving a light skid mark on the road. I'm at my maximum stopping ability and do finally stop!
About 20ft from the Bull He glares at me... this I can feel. I'm ready to whip her around and get outta there, he then slooowly and deliberately walks into the ditch and then up into the brush. I turn around and go back to look at the skid marks... yup they're there. I get and feel lucky!
I had been humping it at about 70mph after dark in moose country... not too smart, soo I slow down from here on in and take my time! I've still got a couple hours before I'm back at the cabin.

I do have some Go-Pro footage of the encounter, but as I said before I still haven't worked on learning to edit that dang stuff:/

I turn inland near Margaree Forks and soon find out that I am... LOW on fuel! Nooo shit, I'd mis-figured the length of this ride. It will be a ways until I hit the 105 and even then I'm not sure of fuel... I stop at a Legion or VFW of sorts and solicit some advice from some emerging folks. They direct me a few miles down the road via a left here and a right there, then another left so to speak. I find the little store somewhere in the Margaree Valley proper.

Safely fueled it's a pretty fun little road back till I hit Hwy 105, and more rain, which is a main artery up to North Sydney. Late into the night I pull into cabin 14 and hit the rack.

Another great day on Cape Breton...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 03:16 PM
Old 01-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #336
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Super report Jim !!
I enjoy and look forward to every post.
Thanx man! I checked out your blog and see that you rode through PA this past summer, nice pics. Nice Surly too... picked up a Surly Pugsley for a friend two years back at Rushmore Mtn Sports in Spearfish DS. That fat tire bike is Suuuuweeeeet!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #337
skian g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Picked up on this a few weeks ago and couldnt stop reading it finally got caught up today! Really love your style of adventure and story telling! Keep it up!

Cant wait to hear how the plans for the property unfold!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #338
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Lounging around the cabin...

I had emailed the Abbey last night and indeed they are having an open house tomorrow ... whoa no kidding cool beans. I had replied that I would swing by then and get a feel for the place, I had wanted to check out a Monastery for some time now and this Abbey would fit the bill.
I really hadn't understood the difference in the two... so I did some research.
"An abbey is an independent monastery with a required minimum of members of religious orders, led by an abbot or abbess. Most abbeys are either Benedictine or Carthusian.
Benedict of Nursia founded the first abbey at Monte Cassino near Rome in the sixth century. By 1415, there were over fifteen thousand abbeys following his rule. Abbeys were usually established on arable land because they were intended to be self-sufficient centers of prayer, productivity, and communal harmony.
Abbeys were also centers of culture, learning, and social progress. Monks established schools, copied and illuminated manuscripts, improved farming methods, and organized early cooperative farming. They developed the first hospitals in the West because of their care of the sick on pilgrimage."
First order of business today was to get a new camera... did a search and found a camera shop in Sydney, mounted my steed and headed that way. I found it and there they had a Pentax Adventure Proof camera that would cover for my well used Olympus Stylus models nicely. In fact it has some wide panoramic features I think you'll enjoy when I get to those scenes up in Newfoundland!
I also swing by Simeons Restaurant to get a Gift certificate for my Host here at the Garden Court Cabins, they have been such sweet people.
On the way back from that diner and now getting hungry... (hmmm just couldn't have felt it there eh) I spot The Governors Pub & Eatery... Now I'm just a regular joe laying flooring for a living and having as much fun as I can, yet it is amazing to me how I can stumble onto these wonderful eatery's all over the continent and eat pretty dang affordably. standin"""
An excerpt from a review:
Kudos from Occasions Magazine
“Cape Breton’s Celtic spirit has found itself a new hearth at which to enjoy the sea salt air. Upon setting foot in the newly renovated Governors one finds oneself in a warm, welcoming traditional style pub decorated in warm tones and hard woods. A distinctively Celtic ambiance provides a unique and unforgettable experience like that of no other on the island. With two large patios over looking Sydney Harbour – there is no question that the patio is one of the best seats in the house, followed closely by the tables next to the dual sided fireplace and intimate alcoves placed throughout the building. The bar, fitted with the largest imported beer selection on tap in Cape Breton Island, also provides a safe haven for the weary traveler, the local regular and the single malt connoisseur. Whether passing through, or meeting up with the “bi’s” for the weekly outing – Governors is sure to be a desired destination."

Now I hadn't gotten the new camera firing yet soo no pics but I'll say it had a wonderful old world charm and the food was great, not to mention the beer! I'll post off their site...

Back to the cabin for some reading and introspection, long into the night...
Next day dawns and as I get around to prepare for the trip to the Abbey, I realize that I'm not really feeling it at all... I feel like finishing this book and just getting my head straight, in my own space. So I simply head back over to the Governors Pub for some lunch and beer, before retiring back to the cabin for a last day of preparation before heading onto the Port aux Basques Ferry tomorrow.
At the Pub I meet a dude on his own little ride, go out and check out his bike, then back inside seated next to me is a pretty red head named Brett and her man Conway... an awesome couple from down on mainland NS who hook me up with some of their finest NS medicine. We share views for what seems like an hour and then I toast my girl Sherri and using her running over cup, pay their dinner tab. Thank you Sherri for dripping your funnel into mine so that I can then drip into others cups!

It's a lovely afternoon...

Next day is launch time... I head toward the Ferry to get in line. On the way passing a coffee house, just what I need before I leave town.

I get to park next to this cool old Willy's...

Inside are warm colors and friendly folks...

Short talk ensues, food is served and I take in some of the wall art and little sayings...

I like this one...

I'm too early as I pass through main street proper to find a bank open. So now in line I park Des', meet a nice lady and then decide that I should run 300yds across the parking lanes and through town to a bank for some cash before landing on the Rock. It may be too late to find cash over there as I ride into the night. It's getting close but I find a guard to let me out and tell him I'll be back ASAP!
I run in my heavy MotoPort pants and Sidi armored boots... chug chug chug, getting to the first bank on my right and finding that the line is tooooo long!( Across the the next one... the line is shorter but still people are lined up like me since the banks have just opened. Oooh boy... the clock ticks away... SLOOOOWLY, I finally reach a teller and get enough to last a week or two.
I start sprinting (if you could hardly even call it that) back to the gate... sweating a good bit now! drooler12 When I reach said gate... it is CLOSED! What hey, hey, HEY FELLA.. I yell as the guard is walking away from me not 40yds off... I watch in amazement as he keeps on going... on and on about 150 yds until he has reached the far side, past where my bike is parked!

These describe my feeling pretty good...
Hmmm ok... well I stand there for maybe a minute... I see noooo one coming my way to unlock the gate! I decide to scale the fence and be done with this nonsense! I find a place that's feasible, near a support, I don't remember if there was any barbed wire or not, I get to the top and realize how fricken heavy my pants and boots REALLY are and that they aren't meant sooo much for climbing... then I leap down and start the sweaty long sprint to my bike before the lines start moving.
Well about 2/3rds across here comes the guard walking back toward me, yelling at me to stop and he's about to pull his pistol on me to booot!!!???!?!?!?!?!? SAY WHAT!!! Don't you fricken recognize me?!?!??? You juuust let me through the damn gate 20 minutes ago! He's all freaked out about me jumping the fence, I explain my fear of missing my ride, and that he'd juuust let me out a bit ago to go to the bank. I yelled and you didn't here me. The nice line lady comes over and takes my side explaining my fears... he calms down, takes my drivers license info and walks away. She says she thinks he heard and saw me coming, but was just being a pain in the ass... hmmm ok.
She and I laugh about it all while I'm suiting up, then I get about the last spot onboard the biggest ship I'd ever been on. The MV Highlanders, a 654.5ft long vessel.

After meeting a couple of the loading guys I strap Des' down, undress and head up stairs...

I climb up to maybe the 3rd floor... the dining floor where the public computers are and snuggle into a corner across from the pc's and across the hall from the stairs and elevators. I hadn't bought a cabin ticket (can't eat at the likes of the Governors Pub if I don't be sensible now can I) so this is my style. Your not supposed to but I can lay down on my backpack and snooze without anyone bothering me. A few truckers and odd couples pass through using the internet while they can and doing what people do on a 7hr boat ride. It will be 112.4 miles until we reach land again.
Nothing much to report here except for one very beautiful woman who works in the vessels center of operations/office/reception area. I'm sure she catches her share of stares from the long haul truckers and such, so I just offer a glance and a nod.
Just before sundown we all reach the New Found Land...

As I fuel up I meet my first Newfie in the parking lot hauling some bikes of his own and get myself situated to the new digs...

I cruise up the coastline a ways...

As I near the Codroy Valley near Doyles I get the sense that I should take off to my west... on some dirt.

I take some roads that I don't see on google and pass through a little town or provincial park...

Popping out the other side and coming onto a few houses I meet this little pooch... not sure if he's racing me, protecting his turf, or both haha!

Nearing sundown I try to take an old bridge to Codroy thinking I may find boarding there for the night. I wanted to come here as it's the eastern most point on the Island, and there's a lighthouse I want to see.. The bridge is out forcing me to go inland again to another bridge. On the way I stumble onto Joe's Café, make a mental note to come back for food and fuel, then I head for the lighthouse.

Still getting used to the new camera...

Soon the Cape Ray lighthouse looms closer...

I park Desiree', and walk around a bit.. taking in the nicest sunset I've seen in a long rainy while!

Find a note from the locals...

And one from the Dept. of Tourism...

An old Helipad turned storage shed...

Ok I'll share what I saw before heading back to Joe's for dinner, where inside I meet some of the most AMAZING people... Randy an ambulance driver and EMT, Monica my cook, Lorna and Anne.
They serve me up a hearty meal and ask lots of questions of my travels... also direct me to some cabins just a few yards away, Martins Cabins. It looks like I'm holing up here tonight... aaah made it at last.

Enjoy the sunset...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 10:20 AM
Old 01-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #339
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Here are some Panoramas... I'm still learning the overlaps and nuances of the camera.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 10:22 AM
Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #340
Minus1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Fantastic updates as usual jj.

hoping all is well in your world.....
Eric
Minus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #341
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 470
Keep 'em coming! This is all the stuff I missed.
woodsatyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #342
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skian g View Post
Picked up on this a few weeks ago and couldnt stop reading it finally got caught up today! Really love your style of adventure and story telling! Keep it up!

Cant wait to hear how the plans for the property unfold!
Glad your enjoying the ride maaan! Thanx for hanging out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus1 View Post
Fantastic updates as usual jj.

hoping all is well in your world.....
Eric
Hey Eric thank you! Working on how this year is going to unfold.... LOTS of change in the wind!

Peace,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Keep 'em coming! This is all the stuff I missed.
Hellooooo Cynthia! Yes you got to where I was going and I... on the Island you were headed to hahahaha! More to come.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 09:46 AM
Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #343
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,841
Always a big thanks from me,you post some epic stuff,thanks for taking us along!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #344
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post

Hellooooo Cynthia! Yes you got to where I was going and I... on the Island you were headed to hahahaha! More to come.

Haha! Yeah, like 2 dualsports passing in the... oh wait.
woodsatyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #345
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,112
Thanks Jim.
Keep up the good work.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote