Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,738

Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #392
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

As I head back south toward Harvey's place he calls me and says that my engine is now in Corner Brook! He's made a few calls and I have an inside line to pick it up direct instead of waiting a few more days for it to zig zag around. WoooHooo and ask if I'll pick up a window for the cabin while I'm at it... it's at a lumber yard in town. Coool kill two birds with one stone.

Something in the sky today... must be my engine returning luck in the clouds.

I stop off at the Gros Morne Mtn trailhead to learn what I can...

I head that way and while passing the hydro-dam again I see a guy hitchhiking along the bridge. I pull off and pick him up, telling him that I'm going to Corner Brook... Jamie says he's heading back to Channel Port aux Basques after thumbing it around the island for a month or so. He had left Ontario a few months back and had been traveling around much like I was, just that he was doing it a bit differently. We discussed gear, clothing, people, and life. Very nice ride to town and the kid is genuinely a kind hearted soul. We pick up Harv's window and then he helps me to load up my back up engine.

We both notice that my plastic crate ISN"T in the best of shape!^( I hadn't had the time to make a proper wood crate for it before I had left.

Aaah having it back in my hands feels gooood! I then say what the hell I'll take you on to the Ferry down in Channel Port aux Basque even though it will be 440km out of my way... It feels like the right thing to do... share some love so to speak. He is deffinately thrilled and so we head that way. I figure I'll stop off back at Joe's Diner in Dolyes for dinner and sure enough we run into Randy Elliot the EMT again, with his little girl. This is actually when I had taken the picture I used earlier in the report of meeting Randy.

Even though it's overcast there is something magical about these mountains...

The ride goes easy Jamie and I eat well and he get's closer to his home. I swing around and head the 5.5hr 480km back to Harvey's place, feeling satisfied about getting Harv's window, picking up my engine and helping out a new brother from Ontario. Gonna be a late night.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #393
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,797
The colors in this picture are so vivid.

I'm still enjoying your travels. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #394
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Glad you "found" yourself here.
Hey Murph... are you bye chance the "Dave" that put Kevin from San Diego up for a couple nights when he did his TCAT ride last May?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
The colors in this picture are so vivid.

I'm still enjoying your travels. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Hey LB yes they sure are aren't they!!! WOW and your welcome.

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 06:16 AM
Old 03-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #395
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

I get back to Grand Falls Windsor and haul the replacement engine into the shop. Time to pull the old engine out and slide the backup into place, woohoo excitement time!!!

In the right rear corner of that last shot you can see a raised platform sitting on the floor. That is the woodstove base from the cabin. Harvey ask if I can put some new tile on it before scooting out of town. Sure ya slave driver... jk The cost of room and board and I'm only to glad to help in anyway I can.
He has a tile cutter, just barely enough leftover tile, (the stove will sit over the light pieces) a couple bags of grout and gives me directions to the local store for some thinset. More "how are you today ma' love" and I get the supplies.

I fit things to the old platform the best I can and then while the mortar is drying get back to the bike. I notice the clutch cover is pretty banged up as in pushed in so far the clutch won't work so I pull it off planning to swap it with one from the other engine. Excitement time may be shooort lived!

While in here I clean out the screen... which is pretty crappy looking considering I had just had this engine built up about 10,000mi ago. No biggie sealant and stuff gets into these things. I see remnants of the old decompression spring though...

And then more... looking like a deal breaker.,

I find the remnants of a washer and some other bigger pieces of metal in the bottom end.
Ooh boy things not looooking too good for continuing the ride.
I cover her up for a bit and prepare for grouting the tile...

I go inside to eat dinner with the family and discuss the situation with Harvey... the engine is just too banged up to trust it for another 2,500mi up through Labrador, it looks like the ride is officially over and I'll be needing to get a hold of a U-Haul to drag my and Desiree's asses back to PA. We talk about Harvey trucking me down south with Michael, kind of a road trip, and decide that with fuel cost and so on it wouldn't be feasible, yet it sure is nice that Harvey would even consider it! Says a lot about this man and these people that I've met up here!

Next morning I go out and seal up the bike, put the other engine back into the crate, clean up my mess, look over the finished tile job with satisfaction and get a ride to a U-Haul dealer to pick up a truck.

Into the afternoon I get a call asking if I'll haul Michael over to hockey practice one last time...

Things are getting a bit somber now that it looks like I'm going to be out of here in just a couple days. We have all really bonded and I take much joy in this moment getting to share it with Michael one last time.

Feeling hungry I swing by the local watering hole I had discovered for one last meal and a drink out on the town. Which turns into meeting some new people... a couple ladies, a few girls, one guy and the lady owner of the place who is a classy women who has traveled the world pretty extensively. I eat a terrific Indian dinner with 3 pretty ladies including a mother and daughter that both work upstairs. As I am about to head back to the house to end the fun, the girls talk me into going out dancing with about 6 of the girls and a live band that includes the art teacher from the local school. I get to meet more locals and just have a gooood ol' time... it ends of being a very laaaate night... I keep sober enough to shuffle the gals around to safety just before the birds start singing.
It's the first time I've stayed out this late in probably 5yrs.

As the bar is closing up I take a short video that no one seems to know is recording...

That's that another great time for the memory banks... I get to look through the younger generations viewfinder which is funny considering that I had looked through that very same one myself all the way up to about age 43LOL!
I now see through a slightly different window yet seem to be able to shift lenses around a bit if I feel like it.
On this night I saw things through several other sight glasses of varying perceptions and just plain had a great time.
Watching the girls gently fight each other for attention last night had me giggling to myself and reminded me of eons upon eons of species competing for mating rights, a chance to pass on their genes. An instinct that was still very apparent to me, as I observed things through my lense. While we usually see the males doing the fighting in the animal world, it was all females in this one.

Tomorrow will be loading the bike time and clearing out my room...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 12:43 PM
Old 03-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #396
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Cry Loading up my gear to return to the States...

Luckily not hungover do to better judgement last night, breakfast with the family comes early. Harv' and I load up the bike, strap her down and slide the engine crate up front securing it with ropes as well.

I finish grouting the platform...

We go back in the house and Harvey smiles at me and then his pretty wife Florence get's in on the deal... hmmm ok what's up guys?!?
He says that the cabin looks WONDERFUL, Florence nods in approval (he had taken Florence out when I took the Viking Trail trip) and now only one thing was missing.

Flooring....

"I know your ready to go home now but couldjdaa hang around one more day?" "Help me lay this floor"

Haha suuure so a new plan is made on the spot, I think Harv' had bought the floor when I was up north. He had a pile of laminate stacked in the front garage.
I will follow him out to the cabin with the moving van and then leave from there the next morning.

I go upstairs to get my clothes and take in the room they had so graciously given me... the palpable presence of love is heavy in the place.

Michael comes by and offers to show me his room and some of his trophies...

He really is quite the achiever!!! He does great at whatever he sets his mind to... he will go far in this life I am sure.
Walking down the stairs I notice the sayings hanging on the walls...

A picture of Florence giving life to Harvey on their wedding day so many years ago... an anniversary and Michael as a little guy.

I give pause to reflect on Family... this one I had been invited to join over the past three and a half weeks, the others like Ted and Pete Boy out at the cabins, those people including little old ladies who had invited me to stay in their homes as a friend on the first day we'd met, as I passed through their worlds. And my Family at home... Sherri the love of my life whom I seemed to be drifting further and further from.

This whole engine fiasco deal had had much deeper meanings than I could have ever imagined a few weeks ago.

I hug Michael and Florence goodbye, get a last group picture of the family together. Then Harvey and I head for the cabin to get some work done.

It was very emotional at times but the knowledge that we'd see each other again made it much less painful... goodbye my adoptive family... I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 07:06 PM
Old 03-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #397
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
Hey Murph... are you bye chance the "Dave" that put Kevin from San Diego up for a couple nights when he did his TCAT ride last May?
'Tis I indeed. Although he is nary the first nor the last rider my neighbors have seen. Took awhile for them to get used to licence plates from around the continent (and beyond) parked in the drive.

damurph screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 01:00 PM
damurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #398
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

When heaven is about to confer
A great office upon a man,
It first exercises his mind with suffering,
And his Sinews and Bones with toil,
It exposes him to poverty
And confounds all his undertakings.
Then it is seen if he is ready.
-Moshi
Old 03-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #399
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Baaaack out to the cabin, one more time...

This song kind of sums up the other night out with the girls... We Are Young... and all the nights spent here loosened up by the spirits of the bottle, that I have been fortunate enough to experience, sharing memories with all these wonderful people of the "Rock".

We get out to the cabin and take along a gift to offer Ted Pelley ... (the largest bottle of Rum I have ever seen) He had made up so many great meals for us when we had stopped bye to visit.
Though I'm not sure Harvey is ready to let it go quite yet...

On the way to Ted's place we swing into a friend of theirs who has a leeetle cabin/shack just back off the road. He's pretty lit up and soon we are too. Looks like it will be one more night of partying before the serious work begins.

I took a video to show how hard it is to understand these NewfiiinLaaaanders when their drinking but do to too much cussing I decided to abort it. Let's just say it HAS BEEN FUN!!!
To keep "me" sober for work tomorrow they would only let me drink out of this dang little half cup... you know who is gonna be doing most of the work right!^)

We survive the night, I get to say goodbye to Ted and then get woken up by nail guns on the roof... The Badger crew is back to finish up the addition.

We hang the last window, get the relocated wood stove, cooking stove, fridge etc.. moved out of the room, some trim still needs to be hung but overall the kitchen is about done...

I use whatever tools that are available and a scrap of the old flooring to undercut the jambs, working back into the bedrooms to do some leveling preparation as well then start to layout the floor. It's noon by the time we start, do to another late night out, and do to this new flooring being made of 18" wide planks it will take a bit longer to finish the job up to boot.

It's about a 15'x21' area...

Close to midnight we wrap things up... whoa looong day but the results are worth it. Now the family gets to remember me every time they open a cupboard or look down at the floor.
We move the stove back, shuffle the island around a bit and decide it looks better angled than in a straight line.

In the morning after the grout has set up on the platform we reinstall it under the stove. Harvey makes one last breakfast, Ted comes down to join us and to see me off... it's another touching moment.

A WHOLE lot of work has gotten done to the cabin and a hell of a lot of fun has been had sharing time with all my new friends.

I climb into the van wipe a few tears away and head across the bridge...

Give them a shout out of my promised return...

And head for Channel-Port aux Basque... I have a ferry to catch near midnight tonight.

Looking into the mirror I can see back to the west and can envision the sun setting at Ted's place over Dawes Pond...

Jettn Jim screwed with this post 03-15-2014 at 02:09 PM
Old 03-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #400
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
'Tis I indeed. Although he is nary the first nor the last rider my neighbors have seen. Took awhile for them to get used to licence plates from around the continent (and beyond) parked in the drive.
Hahaha I see... your a good maaan ol' Murph!!! World is lucky to have your kind roaming around! Perhaps I will stop in for a swill of the rum (or coffee) if your in town when pass back through this spring.

Again my hat is off to you for your hospitality!
Old 03-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #401
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
It is what we do here. We take care of each other.
I sent you a PM at the time and offered same to yerself but you were having too much of a good time to notice the message.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #402
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,049
Glad you finally got around to posting the rest of your RR. Can't wait to get to that area, looks gorgeous!
Till we meet again!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #403
Jettn Jim OP
This is Liv'n!!!

Thumb

Quote:
It is what we do here. We take care of each other.
I sent you a PM at the time and offered same to yerself but you were having too much of a good time to notice the message.
Yes sir you sure did... I had finally found it about the time I was just heading back down south. Haha I actually had the computer turned off for a few weeks blessed thing that was in itself! Yup you had offered a place to stay and the whole enchilada if I remember right... tour guide, bike, etc...
Thanx again for the offer and your hospitality! If any of you reading this find yourselves up thataway and need anything I'd send this man a PM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Glad you finally got around to posting the rest of your RR. Can't wait to get to that area, looks gorgeous!
Till we meet again!
Yes my dear it IS amazing! I will post up another 3 days on the road and some final thoughts... looks like I'm within a a couple post of wrapping this little adventure up.

Sounds like you'll be out this way this summer yourself.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #404
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
.. looks like I'm within a a couple post of wrapping this little adventure up.

No!! I don't want it to end!!
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #405
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
The Adventure will never end, my friend.....

When are you heading back out here?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote