User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Can there be only one ?

If I was to only have one adventure bike, what do you reckon it should be.?

The Criteria.
It has to be capable of 2up riding ( this may involve messing around with seats )
Must be able to sit on the road all day and be able to cruise at 120 km happily. ( for overseas purposes )
Must be capable of tackling off road, say Pukemanu adv or Kaipara adv rides. Need really 250mm suspension travel to keep a decent pace off road.
I don't want it to weigh 1/4 of a ton.
Fuel capacity. Enough to have a range of 350 to 400 km.

My current bikes for anyone who doesn't know us are an R80 GS and a DR650.
The Beemer is better on the road than the DR but runs out of suspension, especially in the rear on rougher ground.
And weighs around 210 kg. It carries it's weight fairly low though.
The DR was built for the Trans America Trail with DRZ suspension up front and Ohlins in the back. And a host of other stuff. It's far better off road but still could be better in the back end. ( mind you getting it great for two up is a hard task )
I reckon it could be longer in the wheelbase. An 800gs is about 90mm longer. I reckon this may help on steep climbs 2 up where the DR can get a bit sketchy.
It only weighs about 165kg but lacks the horsepower.

So, what bikes could be contenders. And what are there strong and weak points.
In no particular order.
KTM 950 SE
BMW HP2
BMW 800GS
Triumph Tiger 800
BMW Airhead Special
Rooney Airhead Special
DR650 with more power.
? ? ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
Pouakai
n00b

Oddometer: 9
In the last two years I've done the dusty butt first on my ktm450 then on my Cagiva Elefant 900 which I rate to be a fair representation of the big adventure bike. While the Elefant was considerably more comfortable on the road I had WAY more fun on the ktm and was able to treat large parts of the ride like a trail ride, tackle step shit, gets decent air and not give a shit about laying it down. All of that shit gets way more serious when you double the weight of the bike and the repair cost!
First time round I was looking pretty enviously at the KTM690R and thought that might be the ideal with a 700RR kit, another that I like is the 640adventure, but my eyes have been opened to the benefits of light weight and big twins are off the menu for me for hardcore riding (call me a softcock - whatever)
Pouakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:30 AM   #3
BROTOWNBOY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
No you need more than one !!

BROTOWNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
ztaj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I've only ridden 2 of those, so here's my 2c worth on the 2 I can comment on

950... Good suspension, plenty of power, but doesn't have the fuel range you want
800gs.... Well, it's an out standing bike capable of everything you can throw at it, and it'll match your riding jacket nicely
BUT ! the suspension is...well... "adequate" It needs an upgrade if you want to get serious. It would just squeek in on fuel range, riding sensibly with not much luggage. However, for the cost of a small second hand car you can get an aux fuel tank from touratech.

How about the new KTM 1190 or what ever it is ? or a Tenere ?
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:43 AM   #5
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouakai View Post
In the last two years I've done the dusty butt first on my ktm450 then on my Cagiva Elefant 900 which I rate to be a fair representation of the big adventure bike. While the Elefant was considerably more comfortable on the road I had WAY more fun on the ktm and was able to treat large parts of the ride like a trail ride, tackle step shit, gets decent air and not give a shit about laying it down. All of that shit gets way more serious when you double the weight of the bike and the repair cost!
First time round I was looking pretty enviously at the KTM690R and thought that might be the ideal with a 700RR kit, another that I like is the 640adventure, but my eyes have been opened to the benefits of light weight and big twins are off the menu for me for hardcore riding (call me a softcock - whatever)
Yea, the 450 singles are great, I had a WR 400 for adventure but no so flash on the road over distance. The 400 was even good 2up off road
The 690 s don't have a rear subframe and seriously doubt they could survive 2up with gear.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROTOWNBOY View Post
No you need more than one !!

Very nice, but if you could have only one ?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:46 AM   #7
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 700
KLR.... You know it. $1k on suspension and its a great mule.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:52 AM   #8
guzzitony
Guzton

Oddometer: 149
bikes.

hey Phil is your beemer a para(letic) or a mono?

if it's a mono you could maybe borrow someones HPN swingarm to use as a template to lengthen 100mm,driveshaft to lenghen maybe a couple of hundy, a good shock??? and a set of mondern(ish) long forks for front.

a step down from an HP2 but can live comfitbly with one up to about 140 (depending on wots been done to the motor-1000 good idea methinks),

so i've been told.............suspension good 2 up as well.

just my 2 cents.

SHEDSAM- objects given/collected and stored in a
shed/mancave. esp car/bike parts.
guzzitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
I've only ridden 2 of those, so here's my 2c worth on the 2 I can comment on

950... Good suspension, plenty of power, but doesn't have the fuel range you want
800gs.... Well, it's an out standing bike capable of everything you can throw at it, and it'll match your riding jacket nicely
BUT ! the suspension is...well... "adequate" It needs an upgrade if you want to get serious. It would just squeek in on fuel range, riding sensibly with not much luggage. However, for the cost of a small second hand car you can get an aux fuel tank from touratech.

How about the new KTM 1190 or what ever it is ? or a Tenere ?
I had a test ride and liked the motor, but the suspension needs work as you say and that top shock bolt design is just a WTF were they thinking. With the two of us on it I'm sure I would wreck it. I have been following a thread of a guy adventurizing an 800 and he has welded another mount in, like I reckon BMW should have done. At 185 kg dry it's not to bad. The same as a 950 SE.
The 1190 is a big bike And 217 kg dry
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 AM   #10
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
KLR.... You know it. $1k on suspension and its a great mule.
But a slow mule. Less power and heavier than my DR.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #11
BROTOWNBOY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
If I could only have one it would probably be the g/s. The main reason for that is the simplicity of everything. It's got a twin plugged 1000cc engine, 33/11 diff, great suspension each end and plenty of fuel range. Easy to cruise at 120ks all day. The hp2 is unreal also but makes you ride too mad at times which I can't see myself keeping up for ever but still to much fun to get rid of at the moment
BROTOWNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #12
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzitony View Post
hey Phil is your beemer a para(letic) or a mono?

if it's a mono you could maybe borrow someones HPN swingarm to use as a template to lengthen 100mm,driveshaft to lenghen maybe a couple of hundy, a good shock??? and a set of mondern(ish) long forks for front.

a step down from an HP2 but can live comfitbly with one up to about 140 (depending on wots been done to the motor-1000 good idea methinks),

so i've been told.............suspension good 2 up as well.

just my 2 cents.
My GS is a 1000 now. It's a paralever so the rear travel is limited. They have about 180mm. Your GS has an extended mono rear eh ? This is current look of the Beemer

Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,224
have you thought about a 990 adv Phil? They are certainly sprung well and have more than enough power. fuel range and comfort has to be addressed but there are options available. They are lighter than their opposition and you can carry lots of weight. For a one only two up bike, certainly be on my short list.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #14
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
have you thought about a 990 adv Phil? They are certainly sprung well and have more than enough power. fuel range and comfort has to be addressed but there are options available. They are lighter than their opposition and you can carry lots of weight. For a one only two up bike, certainly be on my short list.

I suspect a 950SE/990R or HP2 would be my pick - you gotta have something that's a little bit exciting.

Mark_S screwed with this post 03-30-2014 at 10:57 PM
Mark_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:22 AM   #15
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
I have riden both the 950 ADV and 990 ADV. As you say plenty of power. The 950s are smoother than the injected 990s.
I hate their screens tho, could not live with them and they are way heavier than an SE i think. They can do very well off road but would want the S or R model one with longer suspension. they seem to be pretty reliable. I have seen reports on some out over 100000miles with no real problems. I think fuel pumps and water pumps are the bits that fail.
I think an SE would be more agile offroad but I havent ridden one yet. Not many of them about.
I thought about an SE for the TAT but there were none about at the time.