Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #46
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
After an awesome debut at Pukekohe generally finishing in the top 10 ....or better if there were some breakdowns it was on to Hampton Downs, New Zealand newest race circuit. It was here only 4 months earlier I had my first go on a bike at a race track with the California Superbike School.
The track is interesting in that it changes elevation several times and the left hand turn 5 hairpin drops aver 5 metres.
The R90 was unchanged from the previous week.

On one of the practice laps on day one I was surprised when the 750SS came inside me on turn 6 the long sweeping right hander and throttled off momentarily....ending up in the grass.....
On Sunday I saw the 750 high side on turn 2......what happens when you go into the tight corners too hot....HD is a very different track to Pukekohe...I recently heard it described as " an old mans track"...
I was more concerned with being smooth and consistent as I was still becoming familiar with the bike.
Trustme had a ball on Winston as the track has no really long straight like Puke.
Still very much at the back of the field but over the weekend the lap times were improving...
Some of the Kiwibiker Blast From the Past riders came along and it was good to get some support.
The only problem I had with the bike was over reving it as the motor is so willing, handling to me was good as was the braking....on a par with my Thruxton ( for sale on TM....plug plug)
The two day meet was a success with no real issues....Trustme had a flat tyre.....
Thanks to Becky, Trustmes daughter for the photos.

Next race meeting was set for April at Taupo on track 2.
In the meantime I had been busy on Ebay getting parts for the next motor....a low milage r100 crank/rods, some big port 40 mm carb heads, and a 2.91 final drive....... need some r100 cylinders........Moorespeed pistons would be nice....oh and a set of 40 mm Dells...thats on hold pending Triumph sale....TM
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #47
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Racing ;- Lotsa waiting around

Before styling it up

My style needs work, lots of work

trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #48
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post

My style needs work, lots of work
nothing clipons, race seat and rearsets would not fix...
Luv the pics....so 1960s' ( the riders not the bikes...)

Voltaire screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 12:36 AM Reason: adding exciting details
Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #49
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,371
I was going to ask about Trustmes steed. How do you find it around the tracks in that riding position? Are you the only one out there with upright riding position?
Would I be looking like a tool pootling around there with a max speed of 130-140kms?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #50
trustme
Studly Adventurer

The pegs are a knock off of Norman Hyde rearsets. The only place that really catches you out is Puke, will fit flat bars & a screen for that track next year. The other slower tracks, it works OK & would be fine on a street circuit.
I wanted something a bit different so it does not worry me, I'm racing for myself not to impress others, a couple of others race Triumph Adventurers [ remember them ] with high bars but not as wide as mine
Couple of young fellas racing Montessa Cota trials bikes at Taupo having a ball. Another guy was on a Maico 250 with standard MX brakes, you run what works for you. Your ego only gets in the way if you want to be at the pointy end.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #51
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe also go one tooth higher on the front sprocket for Puke. I'm going to fit my R80 final drive for Taupo....can't have a bleedin' cast iron Harley see me off....
So when are we going out on a Sunday tootle next.....the R65 wants to play
Can't be this Sunday as I'm taking wife to free ACC Skootah lessons on the Yammy.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #52
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Working tomorrow, next Sunday perhaps. Waiting for a price for 8mm valves, flash springs & titanium collets,plus getting the ports opened out for the 32mm carbs. It's only money, wish I had some.
One tooth up would be a good idea as well
Old 06-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #53
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

After some hectic bidding I picked up a set of Norton Peahooters on TM for $22.00 bit dented but once painted black they will be fine, going to alter the headers so I can swap from 2 into one to peashooters.....so I can do a comparison.
Probably look at blocking off the balance pipe too.
There is no better sound than a Norton Commando exhaust IMHO....
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #54
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
After some hectic bidding I picked up a set of Norton Peahooters on TM for $22.00 bit dented but once painted black they will be fine, going to alter the headers so I can swap from 2 into one to peashooters.....so I can do a comparison.
Probably look at blocking off the balance pipe too.
There is no better sound than a Norton Commando exhaust IMHO....
Damn I knew I should have kept bidding to $25.00
Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #55
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
Swingarm is stock post 81 R100, The drive shaft to FD is reduced as the motor is moved forward....may be an issue on a road bike..not on a track thrasher.
Why the interest in engine raising?
Quote:
The motor and gearbox move forward and up, the swing arm stays as is.....you could always go down the shorten the rods method...... Its not a nice feeling when the valve covers touch down....you throttle off and that makes it worse...

I'm not really following ya re how the raised motor still runs a stock driveshaft & fits into the swingarm? Is the post 81 swingarm shorter than pre 81?
Over any bumps the driveshaft would hit the top & bottom of the inside of the driveshaft?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #56
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I'm not really following ya re how the raised motor still runs a stock driveshaft & fits into the swingarm? Is the post 81 swingarm shorter than pre 81?
Over any bumps the driveshaft would hit the top & bottom of the inside of the driveshaft?
if you look at the BMW drive line side on you can see how it kinks at the drive shaft/gear box joint.
imagine the motor and gearbox are free to move and you put a jack under the motor and line the whole assembly up to a straight line....
there is enough overlap in the shaft/final drive to allow a bit of forward movement....well enough for a racer anyway.

These are the first ones made in aluminium for trialing, idea was to retain the original mounts. Where the bolt passes thru the engine is now a 12mm rod tapped to 8 mm for the allen head screws.
downside is oil filter no longer easily accessible .....the price you pay for performance
Simon my engineer thinks we may be able to make a cover to allow an external one to be fitted......
Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #57
Padmei
enamoured

Quote:
there is enough overlap in the shaft/final drive to allow a bit of forward movement....well enough for a racer anyway.

Ahh that's the bit I was missing - the deriveshaft must be hanging on with bugger all meat & you want to put more horsepower on it?
Old 06-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #58
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

hmmmmm....I just measured the difference between the r65 and the r90...the R90 gearbox is now about 8 mm further forward.....gave a swing arm shaft I have a measure up with the eyecrometer....about 15mm of overlap.So I have reduced it by 1/3, may reduce the life but I'm guessing ( hoping) like a lot of BMW stuff its over engineered.
Good observation though.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #59
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

OMG....just bought some R45 cylinders and pistons on Ebay.....I have a new plan....
Old 06-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #60
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
OMG....just bought some R45 cylinders and pistons on Ebay.....I have a new plan....
Going slower? Turbocharging?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote