User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Sanders OP
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 662
Pretty nice 1974 440 Maico

The guy that has it is the second owner, he bought it from his friend. Frame replaced, Forks, brakes gone through. Electronic Ignition. Wheels relaced with Stainless spokes. Been put on a pedestal in the guys garage for the last 8 years. Put away properly as this guy is squared away. Probably a lot more done to this bike that I don't even know about
He came to me because he said he knew I'd take care of it. Truth is, I don't know the first thing about them, other than I was in AWE of them at the age of 17 when I first saw one. I was flattered that he would say and think that of me, so I asked.
"How much?"
"$$$$.$$", He said
"I Kinda jerked my head around and exclaimed, "That's all?"
"Yep"
I usually don't respond like that in even a preliminary negotiation type of a scenario, but I was genuinely surprised
I tell you, it sounds so nice that I do not think I would ride it. I'd like to just bring it in the house and look at it, but Mrs. Sanders say's that it would have to go in the bed room where I could Love it up all I wanted
What do you guys think? I will be checking into it more closely, but even if it is not 100%. I don't think I could go wrong for the money. I think he truely does want it to go to a good home.
Opinions? What to look for? Any and all comments and recommendations would be appreciated. For starters I cannot even find specs on this model, or much on-line info

Sanders

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Sanders screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 02:12 PM
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Sanders OP

Geeze are they that rare? Info is hard to uncover, even on the internets. Was hoping some inmates could clue me in

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 294
I think all the vintage Maico guys hang out here.
Very helpful and wise bunch.

I have a 72 MC250 but I haven't really done much with it yet so I don't have any knowledge to pass on.

Your bike sounds like a steal at that price.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Geeze are they that rare? Info is hard to uncover, even on the internets. Was hoping some inmates could clue me in

Screw you Mr.Sanders Maicos don't come from trees. We are all pissed that a motorcycle like that just fell into your lap. Whatever dude. 1974 is the ideal race bike for AHRMA competition. Way to rub it in......

Dave
darmst6829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
Sanders OP

Dave,
I don't even know what AHRMA is, really.
Believe me, in my whole life, nothing has ever fallen in my lap, so this appears to be the exception. The once in a lifetime cliche.
The quandry is, if it is as nice as he (and his riding buddy claim) then I cannot ride it. It sounds like museum quality. I have not seen it yet, but if it is, it will sit in my garage. If I was single it'd be in the house. So the really nice, exotic machine will be relegated to a Minnesota garage. Where only I will see it. I don't like that...but I still want it.
I'll try and talk to the guy more today at work. Who know's Davy, maybe I'll sell it to you. How's $2800 sound

Sanders

Sanders screwed with this post 05-16-2012 at 06:20 AM
Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #6
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Dave,
I don't even know what AHRMA is, really.
Believe me, in my whole life, nothing has ever fallen in my lap, so this appears to be the exception. The once in a lifetime cliche.
The quandry is, if it is as nice as he (and his riding buddy claim) then I cannot ride it. It sounds like museum quality. I have not seen it yet, but if it is, it will sit in my garage. If I was single it'd be in the house. So the really nice, exotic machine will be relegated to a Minnesota garage. Where only I will see it. I don't like that...but I still want it.
I'll try and talk to the guy more today at work. Who know's Davy, maybe I'll sell it to you. How's $2800 sound

Sanders
Its a race bike. Race it!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,528
I was living in Germany in 75 and was racing an AW 440 Maico. I still think it was one of the best turning bikes ever built.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,399
I had one around 1983, never could kick start it, had to pull it with a car lol. It was a fun bike, as long as I didn't stall it.
crampfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Sanders OP

Looked at it today, so its not museum quality but its pretty close. I just don't think I can go wrong at the price he's asking, knowing the entire history of its existance is worth a lot to me.
More to come.
Oh and yeah, I'm getting it.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
darmst6829
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Looked at it today, so its not museum quality but its pretty close. I just don't think I can go wrong at the price he's asking, knowing the entire history of its existance is worth a lot to me.
More to come.
Oh and yeah, I'm getting it.
Good deal! Show us some pictures when you get it home.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Sanders OP

I can't figure out how to post pics yet. I quit Smug mug years back when the Mac I had was not supported and I still couldn't post pics. I probably should just rejoin...
I hope this works 3-4 quick shots out in front of the house with the beast still on the trailer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanders...th/7327987084/

Sanders screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 08:52 AM
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Throw some repro bodywork on it and enjoy, congratulations on such a nice score,
absolutely beautiful piece !

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
Sanders OP

The body work on it already is just fine by me

Old 06-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,144
My point was to preserve whatever fragile / rare oem body parts, that are still featured on the bike and run it with more accessible reproduction components for everyday use.

It's your baby, flog it how you see it...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Sanders OP

Ahh, I see now. Thanks for your concerns. The tank is fiberglass and has a leak, small, but none the less. That will be my first concern.
This is going to sound wierd, but I"m not even sure I'm going to ride it, much... I want to get it running well (if I can), if not well, then at least running. There are no vintage race organizations here. If I can sell it and make a little money on it I'll be happy, but it would have to be to the right home.