ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #136
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
Dag'gum that look like it hurt...

I sure hope you are OK StolenFant.
I've got 100% range of motion in the left knee, but when I go from standing to anything deeper than 20% squat or from there back to standing, there is about a 20 second period of gradual "uncomfortable" stretch as the ligament moves past what must be a swolen area. Definitely dodged a bullet, and earned quite a bit of respect for the tractor like power and traction of this 4stroke Husky. My old CR450r would have required tons more throttle, clutch, and thrown a rooster tail 20 feet before it lifted the front over that log. This thing appears to have literally "jumped" about a foot straight up.

Thanks for well wishes.
Clint
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #137
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWrench View Post
Rev, if you want to come by the shop after 4pm friday 8/31/12, I should have the tools you need for that. I will be drilling out some broken fasteners on my KLR rack mount. I also am installing new chain, sprockets, front and rear tires and tubes, and rear brake pads so it may be a late night for me. We close down the shop at 4pm on friday and this friday we will convert it into after hours cycle repair (just for the fun of it). ARE Auto Repair Experts, 141 Dragon Way, Goose Creek, SC 29445, 843-873-7626 24/7. On Google at Auto Repair Goose Creek, SC. Hope to see you this evening. God bless and best regards, Ken

thanks for the offer, but i got mad and just went and bought the T40 and did it myself. still have some other things to do tho

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #138
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Well, I took some advice from my Manchester Guide and decided to try a different front tire.

Manchester forest is where it's at guys! A little sandy, but fun. Hopefully I'm a little more prepared for sand now.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #139
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
Well, I took some advice from my Manchester Guide and decided to try a different front tire.

Manchester forest is where it's at guys! A little sandy, but fun. Hopefully I'm a little more prepared for sand now.
That's purdy!! And we didn't even go to the sandiest areas in there last time.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #140
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Dang good thing we didn't!

I think I'm ready now though.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #141
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Paw-ker run

This saturday is the spca pawker run leaving the dorchester shrine club on beech hill in summerville at 10 am. I hope to start out from dodges chicken in red top early enough to get some dirt in on the way there. the run cost $20 donation and includes a tee shirt, goodie bag, prizes, and great bbq and dessert. A replica of the hunley will be on display. it includes 10 stops (see web for details) spread out over 100 miles or so but the best part is you can choose your own order and route. I'm hoping to find time friday night to map out the stops with as much dirt as possible. If some of you can join that would be great, a good show of multi-purpose bikes would probably stand out in the sea of cruisers. more details after i rest my typing hand. God bless and best regards, Ken

Update/ rr
I rode this one on my own but did learn something. On the way up to the Shrine club I was going up county line and the GPS prompted me to turn right on a gravel road. There was an open gate and as I wound my way in (still following the GPS track) I encountered about a half dozen gun toting guys with orange hats blocking the road. I shut the bike off and coasted up to them, the senior one of the group said (in an aggravated tone) "You're on private property, I could have you locked up. How'd you get in here?." I assured him that I had a genuine respect for property rights and explained that if there was even a clue that this area was being hunted I would not want to be near while on my bike. He stated that "all gated roads in SC are considered private property weather the gate is open or not (this is BAD news for me) and explained that I should head out the same way I got in. I apologized and promised to scare any deer I saw back in their direction. 238 miles for the day, 232 (sadly) paved

BigWrench screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 02:05 PM Reason: Update/ rr
BigWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #142
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry, I'll be tearing down the TE, and sending my clutch basket out for preemptive repair. The only problem is it'll take over a week with all the shipping time. Tell have fun over the next two weeks. Lets find some good single track for weekend of Sept. 29!
Quote:
This saturday is the spca pawker run leaving the dorchester shrine club on beech hill in summerville at 10 am. I hope to start out from dodges chicken in red top early enough to get some dirt in on the way there. the run cost $20 donation and includes a tee shirt, goodie bag, prizes, and great bbq and dessert. A replica of the hunley will be on display. it includes 10 stops (see web for details) spread out over 100 miles or so but the best part is you can choose your own order and route. I'm hoping to find time friday night to map out the stops with as much dirt as possible. If some of you can join that would be great, a good show of multi-purpose bikes would probably stand out in the sea of cruisers. more details after i rest my typing hand. God bless and best regards, Ken
Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #143
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great ride in NC last weekend

Only one big bike, a BMW 650 Dakar. All others were KLRs, DRs, DRzs, WRs, and of course, a few EXCs. Slippery wet hillsides, rock strewn and washed out roads, and The Gravel Dragon, about 20 miles from Tail of the Dragon. Riders ranged from beginning (brave) females to formerly sponsored South African desert racer. Laura, THANK YOU fire introducing me to the Wadahala DS Ride!

Ken, we need to get all the light bikes up there next time. I could have spent the entire time on those rocky trails and ignored the boring gravel. Did you stay for the Sunday ride.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #144
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great ride in NC last weekend

Only one big bike, a BMW 650 Dakar. All others were KLRs, DRs, DRzs, WRs, and of course, a few EXCs. Slippery wet hillsides, rock strewn and washed out roads, and The Gravel Dragon, about 20 miles from Tail of the Dragon. Riders ranged from beginning (brave) females to formerly sponsored South African desert racer. Laura, THANK YOU fire introducing me to the Wadahala DS Ride!

Ken, we need to get all the light bikes up there next time. I could have spent the entire time on those rocky trails and ignored the boring gravel. Did you stay for the Sunday ride.

Also, I'll be going to Ricks Rally next spring, and I'm planning to go on the under 300lb bike ride. We should organize a group from here. Mark said it is the best rally in North America. Sad Rick just got killed.

Clint
Old 09-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #145
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Paw-ker run 9-15-2012 10am

Quote:
I spent some time with google maps, but it looks like most all the dirt between here and there has a gate on one end or the other so the planned departure from Dodges Chicken in Red Top is moved up to 9am. I wasn't able to do much with routing either so I plan to not have a plan and do some exploring between stops. If this sounds like fun come join in, if not we'll catch you next time. If your coming in from another area the pawker run starts at 2150 Beech hill rd summerville at 10am, maybe i'll see you there. God bless and best regards, Ken
BigWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #146
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

I defiantly want to join y'all on some of these Charity rides but I'm tied up for the next few weekends. I'm itch'n to scuff in my new front tire too. Have fun Ken, I hope to join you soon for a ride.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #147
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Notarally

This morning realized I'm free the weekend of this event. October 4-7.
Location is very near last weekends ride at Nantahala, so I'm going. This one is larger, and has rides for big bikes too. They had one in the spring, and there was a sea of orange. Kalonji, you should give it a try. Bart, what's the chance you can bring that XR? KLRs, DRs, GSs VeeStroms, there are rides for everything. I'll post links, and will have room on the trailer for bikes with crappy seats like mine.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...errerid=161108

Clint

StolenFant screwed with this post 09-15-2012 at 11:11 PM
Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #148
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
We went to Ricks RDV last year. It was interesting. Debating going again. Probably will just because of the new location. It's quite a party. 2 am fireworks and the occasional pistol fire was a little much.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #149
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

hope that was the exception

I'm a gun nut, but that's where i draw the line. Safety first, and i didn't see a gun range on the campground I'm there for the knarly rock riding. They better have some, or I'll start my own. It worked here
Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #150
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
We went to Ricks RDV last year. It was interesting. Debating going again. Probably will just because of the new location. It's quite a party. 2 am fireworks and the occasional pistol fire was a little much.
Yeah, I enjoyed RDV as well, but the fireworks were a little much. Its a good thing I was exhausted from all the riding and was able to sleep through most of it. I'm still planning on going back next year.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote