ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #196
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Anyone interested on the toys for tots run this Sunday? It starts at the Coliseum. registration starts at 9 and then leave at noon. we're going to meet at the Walmart in Tanger Outlets at 1030 ride across the street to Coliseum
twistydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #197
twistydave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Well, shoot , looks like I'll be riding to Botany Bay for a hike around the area. of course to Toys for Tots is a good cause.
twistydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #198
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,150
Ken, I posted some more tracks today over here. Also, please see if this closure info will affect your weekend plans.

Hope to see some of you Lowcountry folks at the state lunch tomorrow. Is a certain new black triple coming?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #199
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Thanks Laura

Thanks for the added routing, no trouble on the closure if Parsons Mtn. is closed (I think the trail loop is a seperate gate) Cedar Springs is just up the road.
I still don't have my GPS reading the GPX files correctly but I'm working on a solution. Hopefully you can catch us
somewhere on the way through. Clint and I (and whoever shows) are leaving at 7AM from the Hess at Savannah Hwy
and Main road. I finally changed my leaking valve cover gasket so I can lead some now without oiling the trail.

God bless and best regards, Ken 843-609-5380 voicemail or text
BigWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #200
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWrench View Post
Thanks for the added routing, no trouble on the closure if Parsons Mtn. is closed (I think the trail loop is a seperate gate) Cedar Springs is just up the road.
I still don't have my GPS reading the GPX files correctly but I'm working on a solution. Hopefully you can catch us
somewhere on the way through. Clint and I (and whoever shows) are leaving at 7AM from the Hess at Savannah Hwy
and Main road. I finally changed my leaking valve cover gasket so I can lead some now without oiling the trail.

God bless and best regards, Ken 843-609-5380 voicemail or text
If you have a Nuvi that doesn't do tracks and need routes instead, here's the program I usually use to convert tracks to routes (it'll convert routes to tracks also). I used to run into trouble with Nuvis wanting to recalculate the routes, and started using numbered waypoints (001, 002 etc) and just hopping between them. That got quickly tiresome, especially when I had too many waypoints, and that's when I started using GPX2IMG to make transparent overlays out of GPX track files (everything's transparent except for your colored track line). That is awesome, for the Nuvi is then not trying to outhink you, it's not doing any calculating at all. But as I think I told you, the newer Nuvi firmware won't work with the overlays. I do this with a Nuvi 750 and recently bought another used 750 off eBay in case my old "Energizer rabbit" 750 ever dies. I've had it forever, and just put a plastic baggie over it if it rains. Of course if someone has a GPS that can handle tracks, they wouldn't need to do any of this.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #201
2bikebart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
The BRPs and one KTM 450 are heading to Enoree OHV in the morning. Leaving Charleston around 7am should be there by about 10. Plan on riding all day. Ping me at 843-364threefive01 if anyone else wants to head that way.
2bikebart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #202
GeektheCreep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
New Rider Here

Just checking in with you guys. I'm a new rider (6 months) of a new to me 2003 KLR650. My first was a Honda CRF230L. I'm native to Mount Pleasant and now that I ride I realized how friggin flat it is around here. I attempted some Wambaw Cycle Trail action yesterday. That was not fun in the sand. I was wondering if Enoree is sandy like the Wambaw Trails?

It seems that most of you guys get your rides together on Friday afternoon and set out on Saturday. So if anyone would be willing to give a new rider with a KLR on Distanzia 25/75 tires a chance to follow them through some lowcountry or even longer rides. Shoot me an email at WRJones86@gmail.com.
GeektheCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #203
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeektheCreep View Post
Just checking in with you guys. I'm a new rider (6 months) of a new to me 2003 KLR650. My first was a Honda CRF230L. I'm native to Mount Pleasant and now that I ride I realized how friggin flat it is around here. I attempted some Wambaw Cycle Trail action yesterday. That was not fun in the sand. I was wondering if Enoree is sandy like the Wambaw Trails?

It seems that most of you guys get your rides together on Friday afternoon and set out on Saturday. So if anyone would be willing to give a new rider with a KLR on Distanzia 25/75 tires a chance to follow them through some lowcountry or even longer rides. Shoot me an email at WRJones86@gmail.com.
Welcome, Sent you an email, more to follow there.
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #204
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

It's all about the rider ...

StolenFant, I know you and a few others will enjoy this. Highland Park had a hare scrambles this past weekend and had an ADV class for BIG bikes. The guy videoing was on a KTM 950SE.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #205
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oooohhhhh

Can't wait to get home to watch this. Figured Hare Scrambles were all MX bikes, and I'd be "in the way" if I ran, but this is getting my curiosity going. I need a good better/harder protective gear first. Don't want to get too FUBAR'd

Thank you Laura!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
StolenFant, I know you and a few others will enjoy this. Highland Park had a hare scrambles this past weekend and had an ADV class for BIG bikes. The guy videoing was on a KTM 950SE.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #206
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Welcome GeektheCreep and Abbeville RR

Welcome new guy, I look forward to riding with you sometime soon. Laura, thats a great video of that 950 rider, he was spanking a bunch of those baby bikes, good thing for them he aired down too much. The SOLO ride to Abbeville this weekend went great, lots of dirt, gravel, and exploring on the way up. I got to Parson's Mountain OHV trail in time to ride it 3 times before the sun started down, it is my favorite USFS OHV trail so far. Sunday morning I headed out to Cedar Springs OHV trail and rode it once scouting and then started my second round at higher speed. My confidence was misplaced as the bald rear tire I was riding on slipped out from under me at mile 4 and the grab handle on the side of the KLR smashed my already twisted right foot. I'm on ice now in an attempt to heal as fast as possible so I can ride in the Broxton Bridge Dual sport in January. GeektheCreep, Enoree, Parsons Mountain, and Cedar springs are NOT sugar sand like Wambaw. They are more clay (harder packed in the order I listed). They might be dangerous when wet but they are great dry. The South loop of Wambaw is not bad right after a good rain or during a good rain but they often close it when wet. God bless and best regards, Ken

Heres a link to some pics of the trip http://s1169.beta.photobucket.com/us...ountain%20Trip

BigWrench screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 04:40 PM Reason: Added Image
BigWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #207
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWrench View Post
Welcome new guy, I look forward to riding with you sometime soon. Laura, thats a great video of that 950 rider, he was spanking a bunch of those baby bikes, good thing for them he aired down too much. The SOLO ride to Abbeville this weekend went great, lots of dirt, gravel, and exploring on the way up. I got to Parson's Mountain OHV trail in time to ride it 3 times before the sun started down, it is my favorite USFS OHV trail so far. Sunday morning I headed out to Cedar Springs OHV trail and rode it once scouting and then started my second round at higher speed. My confidence was misplaced as the bald rear tire I was riding on slipped out from under me at mile 4 and the grab handle on the side of the KLR smashed my already twisted right foot. I'm on ice now in an attempt to heal as fast as possible so I can ride in the Broxton Bridge Dual sport in January. GeektheCreep, Enoree, Parsons Mountain, and Cedar springs are NOT sugar sand like Wambaw. They are more clay (harder packed in the order I listed). They might be dangerous when wet but they are great dry. The South loop of Wambaw is not bad right after a good rain or during a good rain but they often close it when wet. God bless and best regards, Ken
So sorry to hear that, Ken. Wishing you a quick and complete recovery. My 650 tried to dig all the way to China one time, starting from near Suches, GA, but the only problem was that a rock and then my foot were in the way. I was able to ride again after 2-3 months, but it took about 18 months before things were really back to normal. The rock and the DR sustained very little damage.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #208
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote of the year!

I love the quote: "Sound Edit, Pardon little feller"!"
1. That guy is a very good rider. It appears he only got out of shape once and it was in a deep sand corner, plus he still pulled the pass.
2. KTM should buy that video to run in their promo loops at shows!
3. Sounded like he did the entire thing with just two gears.
4. How many riders are in a "group" at a hare scramble? He passed so many, he had to be well into the previous group when the rear tire went flat.

If y'all haven't watched this, you should. Clearly, the 950R is a BEAST, but it didn't sound like he ever ripped the rear end loose, he was putting all that power to the ground, and the few times you could see him reel another bike in, the obvious acceleration was FANTASTIC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post

Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #209
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

I thought the "sound edit" was hilarious, too.

If you want to go see a HS race, there's one coming up in Wedgefield (Burnt Gin) in January. http://sermaclub.com/hscramble.html (then a week later, an Enduro). I think these involve a lot of sand. I made the mistake of taking my 650 on the OHV trail at Manchester once, for a very, very short moment in time. Couldn't get off of it fast enough. Yet the roads up there are one of my favorite places to ride; I think I've been 4x this year so far. Draechon rode up there with me after the state lunch last Saturday.

Looks like there's also a HS this weekend in Perry, GA, just south of Macon. http://www.setra.org/SETRAORG/schedule.aspx

I want to go spectate at the national enduro (Sandlapper) in Salley on March 3rd. Have been trying to get over there for a few years now. A friend placed 2nd there last year in the B 50+ class.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #210
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Laura, I've slowly been saving up to get myself a small cheap DR or something similar. Getting close to having enough to buy one. I plan to thoroughly thrash myself on it at Enoree and Carolina Adventure World in time to do some races in the spring/summer. I will definitely be asking you for info on the races when I finally get one!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote