ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #211
GeektheCreep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Out of action

I am gonna be out of action this weekend until I figure out what's going on with my dang KLR. I just took it to velocity for a tune up about 2 weeks ago, new rear shock, new front tire and they worked on the carb. Should I take it back to velocity and be all "what the heck dudes?" It will start idle for about 20 sec then die. I have to start it with throttle after that but it won't idle and just dies. I'm thinking it's an issue with my choke be as when i manipulate the choke it has no effect on engine speed. I know this isn't a KLR forum or anything buy any help would be appreciated.
GeektheCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #212
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysouthjacket View Post
Laura, I've slowly been saving up to get myself a small cheap DR or something similar. Getting close to having enough to buy one. I plan to thoroughly thrash myself on it at Enoree and Carolina Adventure World in time to do some races in the spring/summer. I will definitely be asking you for info on the races when I finally get one!
I love it that you used "DR" and "race" in the same paragraph. If you really think you might catch a racing bug, you could always rent a smallish pure dirt bike at somewhere like CAW or Durhamtown (Japanese brands) or Highland Park (Japanese, KTM, Husaberg) and see how you like it first. It's a lot more work wrestling a Japanese dual sport bike through the woods. The closest thing to racing DR's and the like that I know of in SC are organized dual sport rides which require your bike to be plated, like Broxton Bridge, Long Cane, and Armenia, and even at those events, the Japanese brands are outnumbered by the lighter weight KTMs and the like. Once you get used to your 800 and wear the new off, with the right tires I bet you could go most places a DR could. I love tooling around in the woods on my DRs, but not doing anything resembling racing. It takes me longer to heal than it used to.

Just my $.02!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #213
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura0107 View Post
I love it that you used "DR" and "race" in the same paragraph. If you really think you might catch a racing bug, you could always rent a smallish pure dirt bike at somewhere like CAW or Durhamtown (Japanese brands) or Highland Park (Japanese, KTM, Husaberg) and see how you like it first. It's a lot more work wrestling a Japanese dual sport bike through the woods. The closest thing to racing DR's and the like that I know of in SC are organized dual sport rides which require your bike to be plated, like Broxton Bridge, Long Cane, and Armenia, and even at those events, the Japanese brands are outnumbered by the lighter weight KTMs and the like. Once you get used to your 800 and wear the new off, with the right tires I bet you could go most places a DR could. I love tooling around in the woods on my DRs, but not doing anything resembling racing. It takes me longer to heal than it used to.

Just my $.02!
Great! Thanks for the info. Actually I was thinking specifically of the Long Cane DS. :)

I was mostly thinking of the DR cause I have a little experience working on a few, and they are pretty inexpensive. I want something that is street legal, don't think I'll ever get into trailering or anything like that. And yes, I do need to knock the new off the GS. I paid a pretty penny for it, so I'm still reluctant to move away from the mint condition it is in now. I took my KLR on some nasty (to me) trails in Uwharrie earlier in the year. Had a great time, but learned that I wanted something a little lighter to play on.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #214
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeektheCreep View Post
I am gonna be out of action this weekend until I figure out what's going on with my dang KLR. I just took it to velocity for a tune up about 2 weeks ago, new rear shock, new front tire and they worked on the carb. Should I take it back to velocity and be all "what the heck dudes?" It will start idle for about 20 sec then die. I have to start it with throttle after that but it won't idle and just dies. I'm thinking it's an issue with my choke be as when i manipulate the choke it has no effect on engine speed. I know this isn't a KLR forum or anything buy any help would be appreciated.
Time for a serious conversation with Velocity about their post-repair testing. Next if you are replacing the shock with stock, give it back! Find one of the infinitely better and highly adjustable aftermarket ones. Suspension is one of the best investments you can make in an offroad bike. If toy have anything larger than a 250, I'd say is is more important than engine !
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:56 AM   #215
Jetstreamer
Sandlapper Brapper

Oddometer: 192
Hey all!

Hey guys and gals. I recognize some of you from the monthly ADV dinner but I am always looking for more frequent riding/exploring buddies. Count me in!
When and where is the next ride?

2009 XT250
Jetstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #216
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,352
Anyone planning a ride tomorrow, Sat 12/8/12?

I've been absent for awhile and missed most of the rides over the last few months so know nothing about the DS locations ya'll have been reporting about but tomorrow I'm free and willing to go wherever the fun may be...just have to be back home by 5 pm so that may rule out some of the more distant locations..

Dirt, street, doesn't matter......
Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #217
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Headed to CAW in the morning with the little bikes. Camping tomorrow night. My 8 year old will be with us so most of my day will be spent following him around the trails but I will get some time to blast around at Daddy speed. If some of you that are sort of new to dirt would like to join us, this would be a great time. We will be moving at the pace of a couple of riders under age 10 for the most part. They have rental crf230s an smaller. Pm me for details.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #218
GeektheCreep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Caw

Iv'e been to CAW within the last 2 months I almost rented a 230 but the thing was falling apart, front brake was useless as was the clutch. I didn't feel safe enough and ended up on a 4wheeler, still had a blast though.
GeektheCreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #219
Jetstreamer
Sandlapper Brapper

CAW?

2009 XT250
Old 12-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #220
bloodline
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Carolina adventure world.
bloodline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #221
Jetstreamer
Sandlapper Brapper

Oh!

Wow that's intense! I cant believe that I've never heard of it before! On another note that's a bit far for me. If anyone wants to get their bike dirty closer to the Charleston I will be doing a bit of riding on James and Johns Island. Monday most likely. Hitting up turkey pens and some dirt roads and such.

2009 XT250
Old 12-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #222
Jetstreamer
Sandlapper Brapper

I'm riding tomorrow as well! Any takers? No long hauls just some utility trails and turkey pens again!

2009 XT250
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #223
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post
I'm riding tomorrow as well! Any takers? No long hauls just some utility trails and turkey pens again!

The header pipe on the DR broke clean off today while riding mostly dirt in southern Colleton County....so no dirt for me until I get that fixed.

I'll be ridng somewhere tomorrow, this weathter is too nice to pass up, just need to decide which "street" bike it is.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #224
Jetstreamer
Sandlapper Brapper

Aww man! Well sometime soon then!

2009 XT250
Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #225
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
The header pipe on the DR broke clean off today while riding mostly dirt in southern Colleton County....so no dirt for me until I get that fixed.

I'll be ridng somewhere tomorrow, this weathter is too nice to pass up, just need to decide which "street" bike it is.
Sounds like time for some Hop up parts
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote