ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #376
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Wambaw was great

Had to ride through some heavy rain in Moncks Corner to get to Wambaw but it was worth it. Only the north loop was left open and it was wet enough to be fun on the GRN KLR. Started at 7pm and ended (20 miles) at 8:30 (15mph avg). Some areas had water up to a foot deep but no mud since its all sand trails. If you go to ride it be aware there is a tree down at ~15.9 miles but it is easy to get around. I'd like to do an early morning ride (just a few hours) July 4, but not sure where yet. Any suggestions?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #377
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Wet ride this evening (Tuesday)

Tuesday evening ride. Leaving Goose Creek at 5:30 to ride up to Wambaw. Heading into the Wambaw north loop at 6:50, it's ~20 miles long and takes about 1.5 hours on the GRN KLR. If you have a heavy bike now's the time to ride this. The sand firms up when wet and the rangers often close the trails untill they dry out. There are a few water crossings about a foot deep but good solid bottom. One tree at ~15.9 is down but easy to get around. Hope to see some of you out riding.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #378
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Wambaw north loop Saturday AM

At least a few 650's and assorted lighter bikes will be meeting at the Wambaw cycle trail trailhead at Round pond on Halfway Creek Rd in the Francis Marion Forest at 8AM Saturday morning to ride the north loop while it is wet enough (the sand firms up when wet). It takes me about 1.5 hours to ride the 20 mile loop. Another group is showing up around 9:30 and I plan on riding the loop a second time starting around 10AM. Bring $5 to feed the USFS trail box and join in the fun. I'm planning to ride some of the surrounding forest service roads after (around noon) so you could come up just for that if you wanted. Hope to see a bunch of you out on 2 wheels.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #379
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Bigwrench, thanks for posting this on ADV. I forget this thread is still live on the forum. Come on out. At least some of us will still be there till Noon.
Cell reception there is surprisingly good 4G data too.
Clint

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #380
SCmedic245
Medic

Oddometer: 2
Question

I am going to eavesdrop on this thread and try to hook up with some of you, if that is copacetic. I'm not new to riding dirt, just new to dirt in this area and have not been off road in years. Recently brought a BMW battleship and not too thrilled about how clean its stayed (mostly because of kids and work but also a slight intimidation of solo riding in unfamiliar areas) Hope to meet some of you soon. As stated before, if that’s okay. Thanks.

Also great thread. Much needed around here.
SCmedic245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #381
kalonji
nihilism or nothing

Oddometer: 1,825
SCmedic here are some other links you may enjoy

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748408
kalonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #382
Axcelerator
n00b

Oddometer: 2
new to area

SC Medic-- I am new to the forum -- but been in the area a long time-- I also live in West Ashley-- hit me up any time you feel like riding. Im usually free most weekends and evenings.
Axcelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #383
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
I'm riding the Christmas in July Ride on Sunday the 21st, benefiting the service men and women at the VA Hospital. Put together a wrapped package, or snag a gift card, and take a ride for a good cause.

They serve a good breakfast at the Legion Hall at 116 Howe Hall Rd in Goose Creek. Breakfast starts at 8:30, KSU at 11am

Sure, not one bit of trail, not even a gravel road...not every satisfying ride has to have them!

Link for more info

http://www.the-hotline.net/2013ChristmasInJulyRide.pdf

ob1quixote screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 04:20 AM
ob1quixote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #384
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Just got word that the ride has been postponed until July 21st!
More time for y'all to get your poo-poo in perspective!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #385
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hoping Wambaw opens back up

It's been closed since last Friday, and I'm already suffering withdrawal. I hadn't ridden there since the late 1970's. However between June 30 and July 11 made six trips and around 9 circuits of the North Loop and a few more shorter loops. The first loop was right after StellaGlide and it was hard packed and very watery. Over the next week the water never got more than lower calf deep (standing on pegs) despite the rain. By Tuesday evening, 7/10 it was almost dry, but the short loops had deep sand and whoops were definitely giving the suspension a workout.
It was great riding with so many of you: Mark (3 of them), Bart, Ken, John, Tim (3 of them too), as well as Nick, the co-founder of CORA (group that maintains the Wambaw Trails.
Hopefully the weather has broken, CORA will get in a trail grooming this weekend, and we can get back to riding soon.

If any of you know people who would ride but don't because they can't get their dirt only bikes to Wambaw, PUT ME IN TOUCH! We'll figure something out.

If anyone has a dirt only ride planned over the next week or so, please let me know. I don't think Wambaw will open before Monday, and I still need lots of single track practice before the UTBC DualSport on Aug 4.

Clint
cc Weekly Riders email group. If you don't get it, call me and I'll add you to the list.
clemon3@sotank.com

Laura, please excuse any typos
Old 07-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #386
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1quixote View Post
I'm riding the Christmas in July Ride on Sunday the 21st, benefiting the service men and women at the VA Hospital. Put together a wrapped package, or snag a gift card, and take a ride for a good cause.

They serve a good breakfast at the Legion Hall at 116 Howe Hall Rd in Goose Creek. Breakfast starts at 8:30, KSU at 11am

Sure, not one bit of trail, not even a gravel road...not every satisfying ride has to have them!

Link for more info

http://www.the-hotline.net/2013ChristmasInJulyRide.pdf

bump
Old 07-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #387
ob1quixote
Gnarly Adventurer

oh well, maybe next time
Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #388
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Battery Park Offroad

Rode up to BP offroad and had a great time despite the rain and some swampy areas. I did get stuck on a downed tree for awhile but managed to back off it.
Went on to Florence, SC after to grab the coastal SC tag. Didn't see anyone I knew but the folks there were real nice and there was a good assortment of riding area available.
[/URL]
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #389
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Log jam at Battery Park

Old 07-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #390
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wambaw OHV trail opens again today N & S Loops

Just listened to the OHV call before you haul hotline, and Wambaw is opening tonight. North Loop and a portion of South Loop. Who can ride this weekend? I could make it tomorrow, Sat, or Sunday. Always more fun with a group.

Those of you in the email group should have received an email about this moments ago. If not, let me know and I'll add you back on. The group is Weekly Riders RevC.
Clint
clemon3@sotank.com