ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #106
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWrench View Post
It was a great Saturday ride with Marsh Tiger around FMNF, sorry yall missed out. Sunday afternoon (8/19/2012) I'll be at Dodge's Chicken in Red Top (Hwy 17 just south of Charleston) around 1pm to meet with any that want to ride- unless something else is posted here. Hope some of you can make it. God bless and best regards, Ken
Sent an email your way.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #107
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 220
i overslept today and missed it, but im up for any riding tomorrow!!! let me know

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #108
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Finally have a weekend to ride the new bike!!!

I've already checked the Hamilton Ridge website, and there is nothing "huntinwise" going on there this weekend, so I'm headed there Saturday Morning. I'll be mounting new knobbies this week to break them in for a Adv ride in upper NC next month. The skinning shed has non-potable water we can hose the bikes down with There will surely be muddy sections with all this recent rain, but there are so many interweaving roads we'll be fine. I never got the F150 stuck, and often had it in watert the door sills. Even the big bikes GS's. Super T's should come. We will get dirty, but there will NOT be a reason to bury your bike in a mudhole. If it's as much fun as I expect, I may get a room at the motel in Estill and come back Sunday. We should be able to ride dry dirt, wet dirt, goose grease muck, submerged gravel, jump some logs, nearly anything we want but hills. Scenery at "tin shack" and other Savannah River bluffs is quite nice. Gator watchers should be able to count at least a dozen on Jordan and Fowl Crawl lakes.

I hope we can get a good group, and maybe even entice Laura and Speedy to join us. Heck, if we get a big enough group, I'll even take the truck and bring a grill or something to cook lunch.

I'll email this to the group to get replies back early.
Clint
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #109
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hamilton Ridge Saturday, 8/25

Looks like we're three so far , and some may be staying either camp or nearby motel
I'll past some details he, but the group email will be primary contact. if you're not on that list, email or PM me.
Clint
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #110
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's the latest sent to the email group.
Food: Gators in Estill has decent "home cooking" buffet style. They had a competitor too, so I'm sure one or the other is available. However, I'm just as happy staying eating lunch at the old plantation house on the property. Cast your vote via the email group.
There is no drinking water on the HR property.
Meeting place: These are the likely meeting spots for Charleston and Walterboro folks. I'll finalize via the email when we have an idea of who is coming. Dodges Chicken on Hwy 17, or The Kangaroo at Hwy 17 & Hwy 64 intersection in Jacksonboro.
Time: 8AM departure from Charleston, 8:30AM departure from Jacksonboro I wouldn't mind leaving a little earlier, but this is latest I want to hit these spots.

There wasn't much interest in overnighting in any of Estill's fine flea bag motels, so it will be a day trip unless someone wants to camp. Someone was looking into campsites in the area, but I forgot who.

Final confirmation will go out via the email group and probably Friday mid-day.

StolenFant screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 02:45 PM Reason: Add detail.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #111
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I'm in for Hamilton Ridge 8/25/2012

Looking forward to the ride, hopefully you plan some offroad on the way over, it seems there is a lot to ride between here and there. I may still be on this worn out kenda 270 or maybe the new d606s will be here in time. As early as you want is good for me. Please post starting time and place here. The web is easy for me but e-mail is a pain. God bless and best regards, Ken (BigWrench), the green KLR RIDER
BigWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #112
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Hey Ken...Glad to see you too will be joining! My 606s are down to about 1/3 tread so I may be going a little slower than some of you guys.

Regarding leave time, I have no problem with leaving earlier...maybe meet at Dodge's at 7:00 or Kangaroo at 7:30 but 8:00 is fine as well...whatever the crowd will bear.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #113
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 220
in case anyones interested, i plan on making the trek up to Santee SC from Charleston, and bypassing 26 all together if i can help it. doing some trip planning.

if anyone wants to join me, i plan on leaving early friday morning. I MAY camp out over night, depending. if not, ill be home by dark just to avoid driving with a mirrored face shield....

PM if youre interested, if nothing else meet me at Charlestowne Landing at 930-10, i plan on being in santee for lunch.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #114
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to brake problems last night, I'm NOT leaving early Saturday. Here's schedule:

First group departs Dodges Store on Hwy 17 in Red Top at 8AM sharp
we'll meet Walterboro crowd at Kangaroo station in the fork of Hwy 17 and Hwy 64 in Jacksonboro
Both groups depart Kangaroo in Jacksonboro at 8:30 PM for Hamilton Ridge
The last gas stop I am certain will be open is at the exit from I-95. I'll be in my pickup and can take a Jerry can or two if anyone requests it.

Bring your lunch and drinks, there is no porable water on Hamilton Ridge property, and if weather is crappy we will probably eat lunch in a screened building instead of riding into town of Estill.

I don't know of any "interesting" routes between Jacksonbro and Hamilton Ridge, I was always in a hurry to get there for pig hunting.

Ken, charge up that GoPro. It should be a good time as there are very fast roads on the property, and if they are wet, they will be slippery as eel poop

I can lock small valuables in my truck while we ride.
Bring your GPS units. The place is 14,000 acres, and worth going to anytime you're in the area, but it's easy to get lost. Ga Pacific kept the timber rights when they sold, so the scenery changes often.

Anything else? This will probably be the last post to the website, but I'm very easy to reach via the email list.

Clint
Old 08-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #115
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Anyone know if there is a subway inside the kangaroo? Ill meet you guys there at 8:30.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #116
Marsh Tiger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Anyone know if there is a subway inside the kangaroo? Ill meet you guys there at 8:30.

If you mean the one in Jacksonboro, it's a Churches Chicken.
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #117
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Thanks ill pick up something tonight and see yall at 8:30.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #118
Pumpkinhead
Professional Azzhole

Oddometer: 560
So, how was the ride?

Dave
Pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #119
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had a blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead View Post
So, how was the ride?

Dave
Unfortunately, DNR has dumped miles of gravel onto the main dirt roads at Hamilton Ridge, and they have closed off even more of the grown up roads. So it wasn't technical at all. A couple innocent puddles had been hog wallowed, and were very sharp shouldered. By the way, a Super Tenere is capable of generating 20 foot Tsunami. .
Sorry you missed it.

I'm thinking of hitting Wambaw thus weekend. The sand should be plenty damp and compacted. Anyone interested?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #120
StolenFant OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride weekend of 8/2 or 3

I'm thinking about hitting Wambaw Cycle Trail this. Weekend. Anyone interested