Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 AM   #16
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,412
This is not a flash system, and the bends are too shallow to use bends, so I cut small wedges out of the pipes with a hacksaw for the bends. This is what we used to do before exhaust shops or mandrel bends were around....we also used to crinkle bend, but even I wouldn't use that on a bike. I tacked them with the MIG, but don't like doing butt welds on exhausts with a MIG - too much intrusion on the inside, I prefer to gas weld butt joints.

I got the pipe from an exhaust shop a couple of doors up from work, but it's bending tube which has a larger wall thickness, so pipes don't slide into each other easily...however this sorts them out....

motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #17
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,510
Interesting. I have always wondered about the crap on the inside of the a welded exhaust pipe as far as impeding gas flow. Also I was wondering about the rusting of the welds on the inside as it can't be treated.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #18
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Believe it or not I was just arranging the pickup of a new 2nd hand MIG I have purchased from Trademe for tomm nite. Pm sent
I've got Gav at Cash n Trade keeping an eye out for an appropriate gas mig for me
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

It's fun experimenting with stuff on your bike - sometimes it's just fucking hilarious! I finished my collector eliminators and fitted them up last night. Fired it up, and oh shit - it's got a loose baffle!

Uh, hang on, there are no baffles at all inside those things. This is the worst exhaust I have ever heard, so bad I'm not even going to ride it down the road. The cackle is so bad that at all revs apart from idle it sounds like a loose baffle, soooo tinny. It's all about expansion I suppose - we make an explosion that pushes the piston down, but before all the energy is used up the exhaust valve opens. Controlled expansion is what noise reduction is all about, that's why your 2 litre car has a 20 litre muffler on the end. With the collector and then 2 large mufflers there was quite a bit of expansion room in this system, now with 1/3 of the volume it's not so good.

From 94db, we now have this....

The original plan was to cut open the mufflers and make some new baffles, that may still be a plan, but for now will put new outlets on the old collector...it sounded and went well.

With just open pipes it sound gorgeous...almost tempting to ride around the block....with every hoody eye watching...

And with open pipes it quieter than empty cans !

Just because I can, doesn't mean I will.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #20
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,510
I

working on exhausts.

Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #21
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I

working on exhausts.

NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #22
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper

Oddometer: 1,345
you don't want ones with no balance pipe, send them up to me for my 500 racer project thats gaining momentum...
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #23
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
I’ve got a couple of non balance pipe headers that I won’t be using. Kinda ugly though. Also, they’re from an ’80 - would they fit the R65 heads?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #24
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper

Thanks, but I think the diameter of the tube is smaller.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #25
Merv
Easy Biker

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
well there is a voice we havent heard for a while

you still riding Merv???
Yeah hi Mark, still going just don't come to this site much but a post of Oscar's on KB made me come and have another look.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #26
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

I welded new outlets onto the collector, and painted the headers and collector black to match the tyres. I did the Kaiaua Loop today - roads I know well and ridden many times with the 2 into 1, to get a better idea of how it goes rather than just a hoon around the block. It's pretty quiet for an open system, probably sounds sick (old sick, not new sick) to bystanders....but riding an Airhead is not about image is it, everyone knows what you are soon as they see the bike. A little flat midrange, lifting the needles would take care of that, but it does certainly seen to have a bit more 6 to 7 grand than the 2 into 1....not that I live at the red line. I'll keep them on for a few more rides, then swap again.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #27
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper

Oh....road legal again...
did yo buy some chups?
Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #28
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

I was on my way to get rego in Hamilton, but I think I took a wrong turn going out of town....dunno, I can't remember or something. Saw a 999 at the chip shop and he nodded to me - I just love the social interaction of the biker breed. I like doing the loop from the bottom backwards, no bikes going my way.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper

He wasn't nodding he was nodding off from looking at a BMW...
Old 10-31-2012, 03:15 AM   #30
motu OP
Loose Pre Unit

I went to Auckland today...but which bike to take ? I took this one because it was there....

I did over 300km, and dropped the bike - riding into the shed. Damn panniers are wider than the heads...at least I know I can pick up an airhead - lucky they only fall over at 45 deg.

2 into one back on and 2 extra plates in the Supertrapp to go with the lifted needles. The gutted stock system certainly has more top end....but I ride 4,000 to 6,000 more often than 6,000 to 7,000rpm. I'm dropping the needles and taking one, or maybe two plates out - on the road next ride. Just didn't seem as sharp as it usually is.

This is an ADV forum....

I went to check out tyres - didn't see the tyres I want (K180), but saw plenty of tyres I don't want. No hurry, still plenty of rides left in these....