User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Pilbara OP
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,571
Andy's bike for sale.

Got this which may or may not be of interest to inmates of this forum.
Cheers
Pilbara

>Gday 2 Wheel Enthusiast's ,
> I'm selling for and on behalf
>of Tracey Caldecott , Andy's 06 Factory Bike, one of the true last
>Factory 700's.
>
>This bike has naturally a lot of History, being Andy picked up the ride
>at the last minute in Dec 05 when Jordi Vladoms got injured, and Andy's
>fateful stage 9,Jan 9/06.
>
>Naturally this bike is more of a collectors item, and would like it to
>go to a good home, hoping to get as much as I can for Trace, Caitlin
>and Mitch, open for offers of $50,000 and over, the price being
>determined if you could and even get one from the Factory would be much
>more and that Marc Comas Factory 450 went for $65,000 Aus.
>
>If your not please forward to anyone who you think might be interested.
>
>Or if you could advertise would be great.
>
>
>Regards.
>
>Rosco Holden
>
>HOLDEN ON TIGHT
>Rider and Team Management,
>Managing & Coordinating in Special Events, Race Meetings, Sponsorships
>and Promotions.
>
>F: +61 3 9787 9669
>M: +61 (0) 412 992 666
>E: rholden66@bigpond.com

Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,981
While I understand Rossco's motivation and resoning behind putting the (collectors) value he is seeking on Andy's #10 bike... and undoubtedly it is a great cause the proceeds will go to (Andy's family). To be brutally honest 50 K plus is pretty ambitious...

Sure it's an ex-factory edition LC4 700 Rallye and there IS a great deal of infamy/history involved with this bike... given it is the same bike that AC entered and raced his final Dakar on in 2006... So undoubtedly it's worth a fair bit more than just the sum of the parts/second hand value - as far as a collector is concerned...

But by the same token... making comparisons to the 65 K that Marc Coma's 450 RR fetched... well, it's Marc Coma the 3 x World Champion, 3 x DAKAR winner, and the same bike he won a Dakar with...?

The only person (collector) in Oz thoat I could suggest, that may be interested in making an offer anything like that price would be this chap;

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/201...ocal-news.html

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788629

Given that he has a collection of Australian motorcycle memorabilia and the "historic" significance of Andy's bike... I'm not 100% sure, but to my knowledge most of the other "racing machines" I have ever seen in the various motorsports museums around the place, have been either on "loan" or donated... So I don't know how many potential "buyers" there would be for a collectors item like this... other than - obviously - a well coined private collector.

I agree with Rossco that it would be nice to see the bike go to a fitting (good) home... and the likelihood that someone would buy it, to ride it (at that price) is minimal... given that you can pick up a 690 Rallye Replica for about half that asking price.

I hope that someone see's it, buys it and gives it a good home... it is an iconic bike and a part of the legend that Andy Caldecott left behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Outbackbiker
Virgin Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
troy, yours is a stupid post. You want to value the bike for a layman's purpose. People spend big money for lots of things that strike their fancy. The wealth out there to acquire such things is amazing. Take the car crowd at the recent Mex 1k for example...

Andy struck a chord with many of us. If I was wealthy enough to buy such things, I'd pay the 50 grand for his factory bike easy. I'd rather have that in my collection than some lame vintage DeSoto, Olds 442 or Mustang 500GT. Collectables are in the mind of the buyer. It's what moves them. Andy moved many.
Here Here....
Hypermotard
MV Agusta.
Outbackbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,177
Quote:
................ If I was wealthy enough to buy such things, I'd pay the 50 grand for his factory bike easy.........

Straight off, I'll bid 100 grand

(seeing as we're having a theoretical auction)
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Stick it on e-bay that will let everyone know just how much it will bring.
lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Russ

Oddometer: 15,721
Let's all hope that it gets as much as possible for Tracey and the family.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
Straight off, I'll bid 100 grand

(seeing as we're having a theoretical auction)
Damn, I'm out...

Even in the theoretical auction, my cealing is $30k for that bike, maybe $35k if I get carried away...

Even my theoretical money is tight.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
winna
n00b

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
troy, yours is a stupid post. You want to value the bike for a layman's purpose. People spend big money for lots of things that strike their fancy. The wealth out there to acquire such things is amazing. Take the car crowd at the recent Mex 1k for example...

Andy struck a chord with many of us. If I was wealthy enough to buy such things, I'd pay the 50 grand for his factory bike easy. I'd rather have that in my collection than some lame vintage DeSoto, Olds 442 or Mustang 500GT. Collectables are in the mind of the buyer. It's what moves them. Andy moved many.

+ 1 stupid
winna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,730
As an old mate used to say 'It's not where ya start, it's where ya finish that counts'
Hope they accept your bid woopwoop
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
You reckon?

TSC raises some valid points. If sure if any of us had a lazy $50 000 sitting in the ash tray of the car they'd pay up for the bike. REALITY is that there are VERY few people who do. Feel free to quote TSC's full post and itemise the 'stupidity' for us... bugger it I'll do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
While I understand Rossco's motivation and resoning behind putting the (collectors) value he is seeking on Andy's #10 bike... and undoubtedly it is a great cause the proceeds will go to (Andy's family). To be brutally honest 50 K plus is pretty ambitious...
Doesn't sound too stupid to me. Expresses a reasonable point of view about the value of the motorcycle

Sure it's an ex-factory edition LC4 700 Rallye and there IS a great deal of infamy/history involved with this bike... given it is the same bike that AC entered and raced his final Dakar on in 2006... So undoubtedly it's worth a fair bit more than just the sum of the parts/second hand value - as far as a collector is concerned...
He says it's worth more than the sum value of it's parts, given that it was AC's last bike... is that a stupid comment?

But by the same token... making comparisons to the 65 K that Marc Coma's 450 RR fetched... well, it's Marc Coma the 3 x World Champion, 3 x DAKAR winner, and the same bike he won a Dakar with...?
Sounds like he's saying that while it is worth a few dollars it's not worth the same amount of money as a 3 x world champs bike? It seems like that too is also a very reasonable statement...

The only person (collector) in Oz thoat I could suggest, that may be interested in making an offer anything like that price would be this chap;

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/201...ocal-news.html

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788629
TSC is that 'stupid' that he is even able to nominate a potential buyer...

Given that he has a collection of Australian motorcycle memorabilia and the "historic" significance of Andy's bike... I'm not 100% sure, but to my knowledge most of the other "racing machines" I have ever seen in the various motorsports museums around the place, have been either on "loan" or donated... So I don't know how many potential "buyers" there would be for a collectors item like this... other than - obviously - a well coined private collector.
Another 'stupid' point of FACT...

I agree with Rossco that it would be nice to see the bike go to a fitting (good) home... and the likelihood that someone would buy it, to ride it (at that price) is minimal... given that you can pick up a 690 Rallye Replica for about half that asking price.
I think he's saying he'd love to see the bike sold to a fitting home, but at the price the buyer probably wouldn't buy it? That's just 'stupid' ... isn't it?

I hope that someone see's it, buys it and gives it a good home... it is an iconic bike and a part of the legend that Andy Caldecott left behind.
This has to be the most 'stupid' part of the post... fancy hoping that someone buys it!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014

jtb screwed with this post 05-15-2012 at 04:01 PM
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Marketing #101:
"Anything is worth exactly what someone's prepared to pay for it...."
Certainly the value in Andy's bike is in its history, not in what it can do - factory bike or not, it's 7 years old and advances have been made - and it's no longer eligible for the race it was built for - the Dakar. (Though I have no doubt it'd be one hell of a ride!)
Ergo, the bike's already a museum piece - or at best, a wealthy man's weekend toy, if you take the position that bikes were built to be ridden and what man has made, another man can repair.
I know a guy who has an ex-Perkins Bathurst-winning V8 - historic yes - and he races it too.
I doubt Flea-bay would attract a realistic market value for Andy's bike - but a decent reputable auction house might.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,241
I really get the feeling that you people who claim Troy’s post is a "stupid post", really haven’t thought about it.

You are saying $50k (almost twice the going price for an original factory Rallye that is in perfect condition, remembering the state Andy’s bike was after the accident) is a good price but you have no intention of buying it.
Troy does have a very good point, and even without knowing anything about the people who are saying it is a stupid post, I can safely say that Troy knows more about the subject than they do.

If it is a historically significant bike you’re after, you would be better of chasing down the #24 bike from the 98 Dakar…
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,245
I'd prefer the motorex one parked next to it. that was the bike that made a lot sit up & take notice. I've seen soemwhere a great shot of Andy on the green one in full flight through the desert, front wheel barely on the deck. Absolute magic..Actually what i'd REALLY like is about 5% of his ability. That would improve the performance of the 950 no end!!

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,452
Quote:

Do the Turtle thing mate.

Troy's comments are not derogatory or negative in any way - Pure hard facts my friend - that does not diminish from the respect he or anyone else has for Andy and his memory.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis View Post
Do the Turtle thing mate.

Troy's comments are not derogatory or negative in any way - Pure hard facts my friend - that does not diminish from the respect he or anyone else has for Andy and his memory.
Hmmm, Pantah's post now deleted, but his ghost lives on in the machine.
Looks like he took your advice!