Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,359
Welcome to the TSC love fest Pantah.
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,008
Knowing what was paid for one of andys used 660's when he was alive , as well as what was paid for a new one around the same time, I hope troy is wrong but I suspect he's right.

Either way, they are awesome bikes and it's a crime to park one in a museum . I wish I had the $ spare to buy it just simply to make sure it got used.

Please MR KTM, can you mass produce these bikes but get them through ADR somehow.
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Please MR KTM...
Be nice if KTM Australia would buy it... for the families sake.

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
PBee

Oddometer: 8,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
I'd prefer the motorex one parked next to it. that was the bike that made a lot sit up & take notice.

It's at the Birdwood Mill nat motor museum SA, JustDan should have a photo of it.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #20
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,412
Some perspective...

A post - from me - only a few hours after the news and details of AC's accident came through...

01-09-2006, 05:48 PM #13
troy safari carpente
f5lash of the f5orce

Oddometer: 11,496

As I can see on the web, news of this terrible tradgedy is starting to filter through down under to the many people in Australia who have been following this tremendous aussie champions efforts in the deserts of africa. As an ex-patriot australian living here in europe AC's efforts over the last three years in DAKAR - indeed his entire motocross and more recently Safari' racing career - have been awe inspiring...

To Andy's wife, family and friends at home in Oz, our sincerest condolences. To the fantastic community of Keith in SA and the peoplewho put their whole hearted support behind Andy's assault to conquer the ultimate challenge in rally raids... we are sadened by the passing of your #1 son...

I hope that you all can find a little consolation - and I am sure that Andy would have got a kick out of knowing - that many of the european fans over here have the Aussie (w)underdog into their hearts... as a result of his fantastic results and down to earth personality.

rest well mate!

The purpose of my original post in THIS thread was merely to address (what I beleive) to be a fairly "ambitious" valuation of the motorcycle in question - taking into account the historic vs. "market" value. I knew and respected Andy Caldecott - the person - for what he could do both on AND off a motorcycle... personally; long before most of the "Adventurist cum lately" types from across the pond, had even heard of this champion bloke, or his untimely demise. So if my post was "stupid", I guess I'll have to leave that for the experts on the subject to determine, but I stand by what I said about the "valuation".

While I can also hope that there might be a benevolent individual out there prepared to pay the asking price of 50 K plus; purely for the privelige of owning Andy's #10 bike as a collectors item. I fear the reality of the situation is that the bikes current "market" value is somewhat less than that... fetching much more than 25 K - for example - on ebay would be miraculous, given that most peoples motivational starting point for bidding on such sites is to find a bargain (ie: get it as cheaply as possible).

If the prime motivation for selling is for the bike to find a "fitting" home AND for the proceeds to assist Andy's wife and children in the future, then perhaps a charity auction at a reputable auction house is the best alternative.

The #10 bike IS probably worth more (to the right person) than just the sum total of what its second hand valuation is... In the end; to whom it is sold and for how much is pretty much for the Caldecott family and their representative to decide. I can hope that the sale generates as much return as possible to assist Tracey, Caitlin and Mitch in the immediate future... and that for the kids, their dad's bike finds a home where it is well kept and appreciated.

Mild

Motivated

Magnificent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #21
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Not quite the same, but perhaps a little if you are from the U.S.

They have been trying to raffle off Chris Blais' 2005 KTM 660, for $100 per ticket, with only 300 tickets on offer.

This raffle has been running (atleast on ADV) since the end of Jan 2012, and have only sold 150 tickets so far.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759764
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #22
NoHillsNoTrees
mostly upright

Oddometer: 180
Troy, I don't believe you have to justify your earlier comments. Your knowledge in this area would be unsurpassed by most in the asylum. As far as the "stupid" comment goes, not all clowns have red noses and funny shoes.
cheers, Pete
NoHillsNoTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #23
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
I'd like to buy it for me pool room, but i'm a poor DR owner. But WTF doesn't MA buy it and keep it for it's historical value, they make enough coin out of the racing fraternity.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #24
Rus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Andy Caldecott Memorial Trust

Although the vast majority of us aren't in a position to purchase Andy's bike, we may be able to help in a smaller way. Every month TrailZone mag runs an ad stating:

An Andy Caldecott Memorial trust has been established in support of Andy's wife Tracey and his young children. Donations to the trust, no matter how small, will be appreciated by his thankful family. Donations may be made to the following account:

Account name: Andy Caldecott Memorial Trust
Bank: ANZ
Branch: Keith, SA
BSB: 015595
Account: 495598859

Wouldn't it be a great reflection on inmates if we could make Andy's family a little more comfortable?
Rus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #25
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,227
I think the ultimate purpose of this thread (funds for family) should remind all you blokes that your life insurance should be top notch. If I die early from a bike accident, my family would miss me, but they would have no worries financially. I pay way, way less than my bike insurance + rego in life insurance premiums and they would get some serious $$.

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #26
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
I think the ultimate purpose of this thread (funds for family) should remind all you blokes that your life insurance should be top notch. If I die early from a bike accident, my family would miss me, but they would have no worries financially. I pay way, way less than my bike insurance + rego in life insurance premiums and they would get some serious $$.
Good point blakduk - that reminds me to get life insurance, i only have accident that gives me a few quid a month for a year to help with bills ...

Not sure many insurances will cover you if racing .
Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #27
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHillsNoTrees View Post
Troy, I don't believe you have to justify your earlier comments. Your knowledge in this area would be unsurpassed by most in the asylum. As far as the "stupid" comment goes, not all clowns have red noses and funny shoes.
cheers, Pete

Couldn't agree more.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
Simosez
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
It's at the Birdwood Mill nat motor museum SA, JustDan should have a photo of it.
that's Dave Shwartz 450. still an impressive machine though.
Simosez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #29
Rosco HOLDEN
RH 060

Oddometer: 2
Andys Bike is Sold

Gday all , I joined ADV Rider, yesterday after receiving a email from a potential buyer, with a link to this forum of Andy’s Factory Repsol 700 that I was selling for an on behalf of Tracey and the kids.

I have been through the whole journey and helping Trace and family, since that day in Stage 9, Jan 9, 2006, I have cleaned up and sold over 36 assorted bikes, some classic, TM’s, YZ 360B and a lot of Farm Junk, cant tell you how many pallets of parts were listed on eBay, Andy had a lot of stuff, but it all went.

Andy's Repsol bike was always going to stir emotion and comments, about every aspect of it, particularly what is the value, or value, or the Historical Value from Arguably Australia’s Greatest Off-road Rider and 4 times Safari and Dakar Stage Winner.

The value was determined by the information I received in relation to the sale of Marc Comas 450 of $65,000 and that if you were to order a New Customer based Dakar 450, pending on specs, would be between $37 to $45,000 from KTM Australia.

The good news is I sold the bike a few months ago, Tracey and I are happy who purchased it and the price achieved and extremely important that we wanted it to stay in Australia and it will remain here, which it is. Naturally who purchased and price is confidential.

I had approx about 10/15 enquiries from all around the World on the bike, and 3 after I had sold it.

Andy’s bike’s are on loan to the Birdwood Musuem in S.A and is currently on display until Oct 2013 alongside his 2005 Team Mates Motorex Bike Dave Schwarz, who I helped when he has competed in his Dakar Competition Years.

Tracey has come along way and Catlin and the next generation 2 Wheel Speedster Mitch are going well and in a much happier place.

If nothing else those spend a minute on Jan 9 and think of one Andy Caldecott on his 7th Anniversary of his tragic passing.

Ride and Stay Safe and Happy New Year.

Regards Rosco Holden
rholden66@bigpond.com
Rosco HOLDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #30
Ausfossil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Great result Rosco. Whatever the price it's gone to a good cause. I hope the new owner gets a lot of enjoyment out of it whishever way they choose to use it. It would be nice if they would take it out for the occasional ride so that maybe some of us inmates might have the chance to stumble across it being used in the real world some day. That would be a buzz.

Cheers
Iain
Ausfossil is offline   Reply With Quote