Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #16
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloc View Post
Like I said, just taking a guess. The system I described is in use on a lot of vehicles, and though I have no idea specifically what they built into the OP's bike, it could explain why they need access to the motorcycle.
Keep guessing somewhere else. It's not very helpful in the context of this thread. Especially when other people have had actual experience buying extra keys for their bikes. They don't need the motorcycle to make the key work. It comes from BMW physically cut to fit and programmed to work with the electronics.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #17
RudyBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
The CD changer in my 2003 Suburban died a few years ago. I found a used one on Ebay. I then had to pay a dealer $90 to tell the onboard computer to accept the new stereo as not stolen before it would work.

I don't know if these security measures actually deter theft, but they seem to be a nice income stream for the dealers .......
Old 05-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
GSMarc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
I remember having seen this :

http://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_p...d=27&chapter=0
2005 HP2E
2005 HP2E SM Prototype
GSMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Had to get a new key for my 2010. It's plug and play.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,089
Not sure why the dealer that you bought the bike from required you to show that you are the owner since every record of every sale is kept on the dealer's computer. Another dealer, OTOH, I might understand their reluctancy to provide you a key.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I finally got it resolved. I happened to have a friend that knows the manager so I was able to get it. I should have the key tomorrow. What a pain in the ass. After all this I'll probably find the lost key.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #22
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Had I not had this friend that knew the manager I'd still be SOL. If I was able to be there in the flesh (at any shop) I dont think I'd have a problem.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
RottVet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Had the dealer of my first and second BMW make me do everything up to an including a blood sample and my first born to get a second key, theorically from Berlin. They were of questionable birth of the first order, and fortunately, no longer in business. The dealer for my third beemer got me one free of charge, no problem, within a week. Again, the dealer makes the difference.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
yellowbirdrs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
BMW Motorrad of Mexico only ask for a the bike registration and DL, plus $150 US dlls and they send you a replacement from Germany in overnight delivery wherever you are. They told me the high price is because the shipping fee
yellowbirdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #25
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Two weeks later and still don't have a key. They sent me a new one last week but it's the wrong one! They said to keep it and they'd send me the correct one soon. So I have a brand new $60 key that I can't use, I wish I could find a bike it fits so I could give it to the owner. Maybe if I took a close up picture of the cut one of you could claim it?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Interesting..."the cut"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
Two weeks later and still don't have a key. They sent me a new one last week but it's the wrong one! They said to keep it and they'd send me the correct one soon. So I have a brand new $60 key that I can't use, I wish I could find a bike it fits so I could give it to the owner. Maybe if I took a close up picture of the cut one of you could claim it?
Interesting indeed, you mention the key was the wrong one...then the cut...do you mean that the key would not go into the lock? The channels were incorrect for the lock? I assume we are talking about your 2010 GS.

The EWS is based on a magnetic code within the key and that code is individual to the bike.....the antenna reads the code and either allows the ignition system to activate or it will lock the system out if it is the wrong code.

In the past if you tried to use a key with the incorrect magnetic code chip you would get the dreaded EWS and only a BMW dealer could remove the "locked down via EWS" ingnition system...that is why multi coded keys should not be allowed to get within range [? distance] of the ring antenna.

Clarify if you would and thanks.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote