Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #31
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Ahh hemmm, I have two krauts and two Italians. I love my GSA and I've had plenty of BMW's but the Italians give me wood.

Yes. Three Beemers and Two Ducs (all large displacement air cooled twins, so there's a pattern). The BMWs are far less fussy and get the job done. I return refreshed and relaxed after a ride on a BMW. The Ducatis are finicky, a bit (ahem) needy and you have to overlook some shortcomings. Like a shot of espresso, it's more intense but one I can only enjoy for a short time. Plus, Ducs like to be wrangled by the scruff of their necks.

Love em all though.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"

hillbillypolack screwed with this post 05-20-2012 at 05:58 PM
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #32
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 940
I know the Norge hasn't entered into the conversation as it seem centered around the Stelvio, but if you're looking for a sport-touring kind of thing, then the Norge needs a close look. For me it was a choice between the R1200RT and the Norge. Actually, once I took a ride on the Norge the BMW looked and sounded pretty boring. No, the Norge won't keep up with the Multi in the twisties, but it will give the Monster a run for it's money. No, it won't do off road duty, but it easily does 200 miles before the low fuel light comes on and is comfortable for all day riding duties. Yes, the dealer network sucks, but if you are at all a DIYer, it's one of the easiest bikes to work on (valve adjustments take 30 minutes from deciding I need to do it until it's done). Granted, I have an early Norge, not the new 4-valve per head version, which I'm told is even better than the 2-valve version, but I'm very satisfied. I have done about $1K in suspension mods which made her handle like a completely different bike. Oh yes, dump the Metzlers as quick as possible for something like RoadSmarts.

Guzzis get to you soul. They speak to you on a totally different level from any other bike I've ever owned. If it sings to you, you'll be hooked forever.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #33
Moronic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Yes, I have also thought about a Norge.

The new 8V looks really special and I have from time to time had my eye taken by examples of the previous model on the road.

(Pic: autocrunch.it )

Might struggle to stay with an S4Rs in the winding stuff but I appreciate your enthusiasm.

I am a bit worried about the allegedly high footpegs - like the big adventure bikes for the leg-room. But there is something particularly neat about that Norge package and it does attract.

I've spent a bit of time in the Norge thread here. You sound very impressed. Interesting that you preferred it to an RT, which sometimes I think should be my choice for a "sensible" tourer.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #34
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

I am a bit worried about the allegedly high footpegs -
Moto International sells a peg lowering kit.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #35
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear

Oddometer: 165
Got to the source !

I'll suggest that you go over to the Wildgoose Chase forum ( www.wildguzzi.com ; select "Discussion" button in left-hand column, then click the big green "HERE:" button in middle of next page.

Register for that Forum (easy process), then Log In and have a look around.

That's a very large, friendly bunch of Moto Guzzi riders, and new participants are welcomed.
Most of the folks on "Wildgoose" (WG, as it's known) do own multiple bikes; a high percentage own bikes from several different manufacturers. Wildgoose Chase is an excellent place to ask your same questions: you'll get a lot of information, and along with some good-natured joking, you'll also get honest opinions from riders who have mostly spent lots of years on both Guzzis and Ducatis.

And if you decide on Guzzi, WG is the place to get answers to your Guzzi-specific questions. Several of the very active participants on that Forum live in Australia. Most are on the Eastern side, but hey -- just a short ride across the desert ... catch a slight right as you pass Ayers Rock, then . . .

There also several other tech-specific forums -- best known is www.guzzitech.com -- to help steer you through your own Guzzi-wrenching and tech decisions. Wildgoose Chase (WG) is still the best place to ask Guzzi questions when you want a lot of detailed responses from a wide range of riders.

And since you asked; I've never owned a Duc, though I've ridden a few across the years. There's just something about a Guzzi, though ... they're pretty much bombproof, comfortable, so unique they are 'waaay past cool (as Peter Egan wrote, "Nearly all of Moto Guzzi models are 100% 'real' motorcycles.") A V-1100 two-valve-per-cylinder Guzzi twin is one of the few medium-to-large motorcycles on the road today that is over-engineered yet simple (air cooling that works, pushrod-n-rocker-arm valve train), under-tuned (read: long-wearing), will be worth a rebuild after its typical engine life of 100,000 miles -- and you can adjust the valves with your onboard tools, sitting on the curb at a convenience store. (Ducati owners: that is NOT a recommended Duc procedure, y'know ... except maybe at Desmo's Deli, eh? )

--mb
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #36
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

The new 8V looks really special and I have from time to time had my eye taken by examples of the previous model on the road.

I've spent a bit of time in the Norge thread here. You sound very impressed. Interesting that you preferred it to an RT, which sometimes I think should be my choice for a "sensible" tourer.
Yeah, I'm more than pretty happy with my Norge - that bike puts a smile on my face every time I start her up.

You're probably correct in your evaluation of the RT as the sensible tourer - sort of like a Honda Accord is a sensible automobile. The RT will definitely do the job (providing the rear end does not implode on you) and get you from point A to point B without a lot of drama. But, it's almost too refined. It's very quiet and very smooth. I don't know, the Goldwing of sport touring motorcycles, maybe??

Any Guzzi is less refined - hey, it's Italian for doGs sake, what do you expect?

I know some people have issues with the heat on the Norge, but it's never been an issue with me, even in the 100*+ summers, I don't find the engine heat a problem.

There are a couple of things you do have to get used to with a Guzzi. First and foremost, you can't be an introvert and ride a Guzzi. Every time you park it, get gas or otherwise quit moving forward, someone will come up and ask about it, or remember their first Guzzi and want to swap stories. My personal favorite was the little old lady who looked at my Norge fondly and told me her husband used to own a Guzzi and they used to travel all over on it. I offered to take her for a ride anytime she wanted.

Secondly, you won't see yourself coming and going all the time as you will with a lot of bikes. This has both good and bad to it. On the one hand, it's nice having something different that everyone recognizes as being different. On the other, it's not like you can walk down the row of bikes and ask four owners what they like or don't like about a different seat, or tuning mods, etc. You'll probably have the only one for 10 miles in any direction.

Oh yes, you'll need to purchase a pair of red suspenders.

Enjoy,

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #37
Moronic OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Thanks for the suggestions and info, everybody. I have learned a lot from this thread.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #38
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
Oh yes, you'll need to purchase a pair of red suspenders.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #39
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Obviously Guzzi has far more character than a Ducati.
"Obviously."

Apparently "character" weighs a lot.

A Griso is the only Guzzi I would buy, and best I can tell it's just a Monster with the engine turned the wrong way and a shaft drive. No thanks!
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #40
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
"Obviously."

A Griso is the only Guzzi I would buy, and best I can tell it's just a Monster with the engine turned the wrong way and a shaft drive. No thanks!
The CARC shaft drive on the Guzzi is very well done - you hardly feel the torque once you get rolling. At a stop, you do feel it when you whack the throttle, but that all but disappears when the bike is moving. I can bang through the gears in a turn and not notice it - the bike is not upset by the shaft drive at all.

The funny thing about Guzzis is that if you just look at the numbers they appear to come up short. Once you get on one for an extended test ride, the numbers suddenly don't mean as much as the riding experience is really something else.

Take one for a ride and tell us what you think.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #41
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
No, it's not.

Those who don't get it need not apply. I used to be in that camp until I tried one.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #42
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Quote:
I'm a Ducati guy, and I gotta say the Griso is the only bike I regret selling, and the bike that made me really like the brand. It isn't the fastest, lightest, best braking, or best handling bike around...but it's a TON of fun to ride, sounds fantastic, and is just super cool. You should give one a shot. It's a motorcycle that begs you to look at it, and lets you know you're riding a motorcycle.
WMRRA #98
Old 05-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #43
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
It's a motorcycle that begs you to look at it, and lets you know you're riding a motorcycle.
Really, more of us should be shopping for those qualities, rather than having paper races with specs we can't fully employ on the street (or track, for most of us).
Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #44
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Really, more of us should be shopping for those qualities, rather than having paper races with specs we can't fully employ on the street (or track, for most of us).

I have more fun on the street with 80 hp and a bunch of torque down low, than I do with 120 hp and a bunch of revs.
WMRRA #98
Old 05-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #45
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
The CARC shaft drive on the Guzzi is very well done - you hardly feel the torque once you get rolling. At a stop, you do feel it when you whack the throttle, but that all but disappears when the bike is moving. I can bang through the gears in a turn and not notice it - the bike is not upset by the shaft drive at all.

The funny thing about Guzzis is that if you just look at the numbers they appear to come up short. Once you get on one for an extended test ride, the numbers suddenly don't mean as much as the riding experience is really something else.

Take one for a ride and tell us what you think.

jdg
Well said!
joe cool is online now   Reply With Quote