Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,751
Sorry, Lobo - I haven't messed around with the carbs on the G/S. It came that way, so that's the way it stayed. It was set up by a shop in SF (think it was named Darwin Motors) that converted it to a liter. They evidently did a good job.

When I've gotten that good mileage it was riding the freeway to southern Oregon to visit friends - 300 some miles. I'm generally a bit faster than the rest of the traffic, but keep a steady pace and try to stay in the range where I won't get tickets. I'm not much of an 'on-and-off' the throttle kinda guy. Also, I'm probably 165 or 170 pounds geared up, so that makes a bit of difference.

In the rough stuff and logging roads where I'm in lower gears all the time the mileage drops - sometimes in the high 30s.

SS - Wonder what sort of mileage yours would get at a smoother pace? I understand it's a badge of honor what lousy mileage you get.

You're obviously one terribly fast sumbitch! Ever think of taking it to the track?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 551
Bings are not complicated, I love em, easy to rebuild and for all the crying I hear on here they are easy to set up. I am always surprised when people say they solved their Bing problems by replacing with another brand of carb.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Sorry, Lobo - I haven't messed around with the carbs on the G/S. It came that way, so that's the way it stayed. It was set up by a shop in SF (think it was named Darwin Motors) that converted it to a liter. They evidently did a good job.

When I've gotten that good mileage it was riding the freeway to southern Oregon to visit friends - 300 some miles. I'm generally a bit faster than the rest of the traffic, but keep a steady pace and try to stay in the range where I won't get tickets. I'm not much of an 'on-and-off' the throttle kinda guy. Also, I'm probably 165 or 170 pounds geared up, so that makes a bit of difference.

In the rough stuff and logging roads where I'm in lower gears all the time the mileage drops - sometimes in the high 30s.

SS - Wonder what sort of mileage yours would get at a smoother pace? I understand it's a badge of honor what lousy mileage you get.

You're obviously one terribly fast sumbitch! Ever think of taking it to the track?
My mileage isn't a badge of honor, I just mention it to point out that mileage varies a great deal on very well set up bikes. Way too much to be saying a bike "should" be getting this or that. My 42mpg was at a pretty smooth pace although I was jockying the throttle a bit to relieve the boredom.

I grew up on race tracks. My family was in a motorcycle club that had an awesome MX and TT track on the club grounds. We would rent a county fair grounds half mile and a banked car short track for races too. Then a few other tracks but I have never been on a road course. Some of my childhood friends raced mostly MX all over the country.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekedog View Post
Thanks all for responding so quickly. Very cool. To all realize please that I am no motorcycle mechanic.

Airhead, howdy. Hope all is well south of the border. The bike actually does run pretty well but for the backfire with any throttle let-up. I do come off the bike smelling of exhaust though. Not as bad as with the Supercrapp. My mileage is around 30mpg. I don't have too unrealistic dreams but 35-40 seems realistic doesn't it?
35-40 should be doable in Washington,

Ok
The cool thing is as CV carbs go, Bings are about the easiest to work on.
And if you feel so inclined there's even a Bing manual you can get from the US importer of Bing bits (I buy my carb parts from BMW dealers it's cheaper then via Bing USA, but the book is decent)

You need to base line, which means a clean air filter, new plugs, clean fuel system from the tank vent to the hose going into float bowl.

Make sure the bike's timing and valves are in functional order.

If all that stuff is good then go about cleaning and resetting the carbs.
Carbs are easy to work on. do one at a time and go slowly and you should get it to work.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #20
zekedog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
OK.....I'm in! I've been avoiding doing work myself but you are all correct.....I do need to figure this out. Hell, I've owned almost a dozen VW vans and have done a ton of work on them. How hard can it be?
Solo.....I still may be bothering you for advice so you're not off the hook yet. You still like beer?
B
zekedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekedog View Post
Solo.....I still may be bothering you for advice so you're not off the hook yet. You still like beer?
sad to say, I actually like working on BMW's more than beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote