Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,246
Thumb REVIEW: Wings Superflow Ti Exhaust Pipe for KTM 640 Adv

Greetings...

Andrew saw fit to have me as a "tester" of this pipe prior to his vending of them (thanks Andrew)... Below are my comments and pictures of the unit, the install, etc.

Of note is my current set up... It is (was) a Supertrapp IDS2 quiet core w/16 discs (yes I like it loud!). Prior to that I had a stock can.

When the box arrived I was excited and it was most certainly warranted as I laid my eyes on this beauty!

Extremely nice piece with a high level of craftsmentship displayed (more on this to come!)

Wings was kind enough to color coordinate the badging for me as well

Now on to the install...

First up is my current set-up...

If you look closely, I suspect you will find no two IDS2 installs exactly the same (see other threads by Creeper and Meat Popsicle)... I always had a feeling of "rig'd-ness" w/ the IDS2. Thus one of the reasons why it took me so long to get to this install, I kept putting it aside because I felt I did not have the time to tinker with it to get it installed "right".

Boy was I wrong about that This pipe was obviously MADE for this bike Install was not only a breeze, but a please as everything just slid into place as if it was OEM

Of note here is that after removing my IDS2 and hefting both pipes (no wise cracks ya jerks! ) in my hands, they seem to weigh the same I was hoping for that storied Ti weight advantage. IMHO (without a scale avail) the Ti weighs about the same as the IDS2 set up.

Now on to the instal and the parts...

First was the pipe piece (way too clean, must go sully it )

Slid right on and bolted right up My springs are a tad loose, but I suspect they are loose from wear and it is not a fit issue. Soooo nice to install gear that is tailor made for your bike!!!!!!

Next, I wrapped the strap around the can, slid the can onto the pipe - tightened a couple of bolts and presto!

I have skipped many of the install notes as Surly covered this very well in his review of the aluminum version. See it here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Wings Great job Surly

Now to fire it up.... Frankly I was worried this pipe would not have enough "bark" for me, I like it loud I was pleasantly surprised It was not as loud as my IDS2 setup, but it has a deeper rumble to it that I REALLY like. It also does not get "raspy" at the higher end of the RPM scale as my IDS2 did. All said, it is loud enough for me (not overly so IMHO, but what the hell do I know ) but with the added bonus of a baritone rumble As for objective reviews, PASSMORE wife says, "huh? you put another pipe on?" so maybe there isn't much difference to an "untrained ear"

I have only put 30 or so miles on it thus far. My seat of the pants eval is that exceleration and roll on power is smoother than what I had with the IDS2. I have not done any jetting (I was waiting for this pipe - I had significant popping on decel with the IDS2) and the popping has reduced IMO.

Very, very, very nice pipe. I rate this as an exceptional product in both quality, performance (seat of the pants, no data yet...), and sound. IMHO, Akra has nothing over this pipe (sorry Boe!).

More to come as the miles pile on!

UPDATE - rode another 30 or 40 after posting this and it seems to have made my bike a tad less "buzzy", almost as if the vibrations have been reduced I am not claiming miracles or asking for the canonization of the Wings Ti, but there is something smoother now May be that the mounting is more secure, therfore less "rattling" or maybe it is a resonance issue... I am not sure, but I can definitely tell. When I commute I listen to tunes through earphones that really isolate a lot of the noise so I am more sensitive to the other elements of the bike (vibes), this is probably why I have noticed this difference. At any rate - I like it!

ONE OTHER UPDATE - after fueling the beast yesterday and getting oooh's and ahhhh's from bystander's at the pump, I took off and "my scoot" reached out and grabbed the concrete pole and fell over on its side Yes, it was a rare and graceful moment for me as I picked the beast up amongst the raucous laughter At any rate, I can attest to the Ti pipe's resistance to abrasion when flung at concrete

PASSMORE screwed with this post 05-11-2005 at 09:10 AM
PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Did you take that restrictor/arrestor dealie out or leave it in?

That smooth Ti sure goes nice with the Rhino texture

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Thumb Thanks to both of you!

You guys ROCK! I really appreciate your candidness and honesty while doing this. I always maintain that if a product is crap, I won't carry it but these mufflers have exceeded my expectations.

I certainly was very nervous and have held off many potential cutomers until these write-ups were in and the results were positive.

I hope you both get many safe and happy miles out of the bikes and the mufflers and again I cannot thank you enough!

So.... tomorrow I need to place my first order of WINGS KTM LC4 Mufflers!! I'm very excited to have another really great product in our line as we continue to grow.

See on the road or in the dirt!
Andrew
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:49 AM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
dat's purdy passmore.

does it use mechanical baffles or require repacking?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
dat's purdy passmore.

does it use mechanical baffles or require repacking?
Andrew said they said he said she said "no repacking"
I couldnt tell if they were packed or perm

If they need packing how long does that usually take between intervals?
I have 3500 on mine already and it sounds fine still (aparantly you can hear me before you can see me without the restrictor)

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:24 AM   #6
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Hey Pass,

Between the Bed-Liner, Ubermuffler, BooB tire, and Renazco brown-on-tan all suede superseat, you've now officially out-pimped Creeper. Congratulations!
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #7
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
Andrew said they said he said she said "no repacking"
I couldnt tell if they were packed or perm

If they need packing how long does that usually take between intervals?
I have 3500 on mine already and it sounds fine still (aparantly you can hear me before you can see me without the restrictor)
The supercrapp IDS2 says ~5000 I believe. 5K is not much distance IMO so I am always interested in mechanicals. the Staintune is mechanical and not badly priced either. waiting for a price from Andrew, not that I can buy one in the near future! dog am I broke...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:02 AM   #8
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
Did you take that restrictor/arrestor dealie out or leave it in?

That smooth Ti sure goes nice with the Rhino texture
Since I took nothing out or modified it in any way I am assuming that I did not remove the restrictor/arrestor. If the arresstor is an integral part of the "restrictor" then I will be leaving it on. I live in an area with a lot of grass and it will be going dry quite soon... No firestarter for me
Old 05-11-2005, 07:07 AM   #9
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete
You guys ROCK! I really appreciate your candidness and honesty while doing this. I always maintain that if a product is crap, I won't carry it but these mufflers have exceeded my expectations.

I certainly was very nervous and have held off many potential cutomers until these write-ups were in and the results were positive.

I hope you both get many safe and happy miles out of the bikes and the mufflers and again I cannot thank you enough!

So.... tomorrow I need to place my first order of WINGS KTM LC4 Mufflers!! I'm very excited to have another really great product in our line as we continue to grow.

See on the road or in the dirt!
Andrew
Thanks for the opprotunity to "test" it Andrew. now that it is on, I really like it I rode in this morning and it just purrs... 2 thumbs up for this! Most knew I was scouting the landscape for a new pipe before this and I can definitively say that there is not another pipe currently on the market right now that I would prefer to have for this bike.

I hear there is an IDS2 for sale when the dogs get done knawing on it...

Heeeerrrreee puppy, puppy, puppy....

Old 05-11-2005, 07:16 AM   #10
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Hey Pass,

Between the Bed-Liner, Ubermuffler, BooB tire, and Renazco brown-on-tan all suede superseat, you've now officially out-pimped Creeper. Congratulations!

oh.... not quite as pimp as Creep's, yo... Mine's not near as clean I may never ascend to the throne of pimpness, 'cause everyone knows a pimp gots to have a clean ride

PS - brown I thought it to be more of University of Texas orange Hook 'em horns
Old 05-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #11
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
PS - brown I thought it to be more of University of Texas orange Hook 'em horns
Hate to break it to ya... but that looks a LOT like brown to me too.

Y'know, if Passy'd dump the rhinolined look and go with the pimped out glossy black like Creeper, he'd take the cake. The hole in the fairing is uber-pimp so IMO Creeper still gets the nod.

M
Old 05-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike
Y'know, if Creeper'd get his rhinolined like Passy's, he'd take the cake. The hole in the fairing is uber-pimp so IMO Creeper is almost there... Keep working Creeper

M

Fixed for ya Mike

How's the 640?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #13
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
Fixed for ya Mike

How's the 640?
More capable than I am at the moment... See my "how hot is too hot?" thead.

Need to talk to Boejangles about a seat... He did warn me, but being the hardheaded SOB I am, I figured "nah, I've got the stock RT seat, I'll be FINE."

Nope.

My ass needs some "pimp-daddy seat" lovin!

M
Old 05-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #14
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,738
I thought this bike was just plain UNPIMPABLE

Untill you got that awesome exhaust from Andrew !!
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #15
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,310
That exhaust looks great!

Muuuust resiiiiiiiist temptaaaaaation
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote