User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
jumbee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
good place to buy a motorcycle for a euro trip - non euro citizen

hi, entered this thread at Horizon Unlimited as well, looking for a place to buy a motorcycle for a euro trip, thought of doing that in germany and already found a motorcycle - suzuki savage 650 - ~1300euro, yet people are saying in germany there is not an option to sell a bike for a non german citizen and no option to write in the insurance as there isn't any "living place" which is needed for the documents.

generally, don't need insurance otherwise it is against the law in europe to ride without it.

just need for a start a good motorcycle at ~1000-2000 euro, don't mind where to buy it and do insurance as long as it would allow for it to trip around,

any idea's comments, maybe just handwrite the bike handover with the owner signature, pay for the bike and contract it as rent, anything that would allow it to go,

thank you all.
jumbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
I don't have an answer for your questions directly, but you might try Stefan Knopf of Knopf Tours. He stores bikes, has some used bikes for sale, rents, can provide insurance, etc. Check out his website knopftours.com
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Britsabroad
Banned

Oddometer: 203
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbee View Post
hi, entered this thread at Horizon Unlimited as well, looking for a place to buy a motorcycle for a euro trip, thought of doing that in germany and already found a motorcycle - suzuki savage 650 - ~1300euro, yet people are saying in germany there is not an option to sell a bike for a non german citizen and no option to write in the insurance as there isn't any "living place" which is needed for the documents.

generally, don't need insurance otherwise it is against the law in europe to ride without it.

just need for a start a good motorcycle at ~1000-2000 euro, don't mind where to buy it and do insurance as long as it would allow for it to trip around,

any idea's comments, maybe just handwrite the bike handover with the owner signature, pay for the bike and contract it as rent, anything that would allow it to go,

thank you all.
U COULD TAKE AN iNTERNATIONAL INSURANCE DOCUMENT FROM HOME IF YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY WILL ISSUE ONE!?!?!?!?

U cud also risk riding without insurance, & maybe do a "buy back" deal with the seller. As a last resort, u cud rent a bike.
Britsabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
jumbee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
I don't have an answer for your questions directly, but you might try Stefan Knopf of Knopf Tours. He stores bikes, has some used bikes for sale, rents, can provide insurance, etc. Check out his website knopftours.com
they take ~650$ for a week, the trip is for few month's, would not like to count the days, each for 80$ is a lot.

p.s - is it possible to ride without insurance?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
JethroDog
dogs bark

Oddometer: 206
Insurance is compulsory in all European countries. If you are stopped and can't provide the green card that indiactes your insurance coverage for that specific country, you can be fined and compelled to purchase insurance (and/or have bike impounded). You should also have an ECE helmet and an international license. Same punishment. All this changes from country to country (as well as how agressive the authorities are), however most European countries expect you to enter their country with vehicle and health insurance, plus the requisite document that shows you are a licensed rider.
JethroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
jumbee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroDog View Post
Insurance is compulsory in all European countries. If you are stopped and can't provide the green card that indiactes your insurance coverage for that specific country, you can be fined and compelled to purchase insurance (and/or have bike impounded). You should also have an ECE helmet and an international license. Same punishment. All this changes from country to country (as well as how agressive the authorities are), however most European countries expect you to enter their country with vehicle and health insurance, plus the requisite document that shows you are a licensed rider.
o.k, now is it possible to purchase a bike, yet not transfer the documents, same like taking a friend bike,
then insure the rider with a local insurance company?
would it be good for all EU countries or you would have to insure the rider at each country separately?
can there be a global insurance so if you decide to jump into Russia, it would still count?
Old 05-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #7
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
In the UK I think you would need an address for long enough to buy the bike and insure it. You would have to wait for all the docs to arrive which could be a few weeks. Uk isn't the best place to buy new bikes but we have a really strong second hand market with low prices. Adventure bikes are getting popular now but were less so 10 years ago so bike availability reflects this. Depending on bike your looking for, they can be cheaper in different countries. People used to make a business of trading second hand bikes between different European markets.
In the UK it is not really possible without transferring the bike to you.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #8
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Do you currently own a bike? If so, it might be cheaper to ship it overseas and then ship it back.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
Jumbee.... YES it is possible to buy a motorcycle or a car if you are not a resident of any one of the European countries and have no resident address.
Buying it only involves forking over the cash to the seller.
\\\
You can NOT get it registered in your name in most of the EU countries.
However the solution lies as you suggest in having it registered under the name of some person who does reside in the European country.
For this you need a good friend or trusting acquaintance and you yourself must be totally honest not to abuse their good deed.
Having done this process on a number of occasions with motorcycles and cars I assure you it does work and can be a genuine money saver.
You m ust first find a European contact willing to help you- friend , relative , used car dealer ,as long as they have a motorcycle in their posession already and are willing to help. ...
You find somebody to accept ownership of the motorcycle, because that is what you are doing. Technically the bike will not be yours. When you buy the bike from the seller you have it registered under the name of your new European friend and he signs it into his liability insurance policy as a second vehicle. You will be the "guest " who has permission to ride it. The insurance company will issue a proof of insurance CARD for you to carry and a green card which lists all of the countries for which the insurance is valid . It would be a good idea to get a written statement from your friend and signed by you also to prove that you have legal permission from him to use the bike everywhere you go.
With these papers you will be free to roam .
Of course you must pay your firend for the extra costs that may be assessed to him for the second vehicle on his policy and also for all the time which you will be using "his " bike. and pay for the road tax and other fees, like safety inspections
Also it is very imortant to adhere to all speed limits so as not to get nabbed by photo radar and face all the fines which will be sent to your "friend" DO NOT GIVE YOUR FRIEND A LOT OF LICENSE DEMERIT POINT S!!!. Check with him often to see he did get any such fines and pay for them promptly.
For this case it might be reassuring to your "friend " if you at the start of your trip left a lump sum of cash in his care, sort of a surety bond for him in case you do get tickets. If you are a good driver and get no tickets the money can be returned to you.
At the end of the trip you can sell the bike , or just give it away to your friend. , all the money you saved !Worth it.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Thats about the best way to go for a relatively short time (months). Where do you plan on going?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
yauhen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I purchased a motorcycle through Wheatwhacker a few months ago.
It all went very smoothly with very little effort on my behalf.
He checked out the bike, a Honda Transalp, picked it up and now has in in storage at his home in Cork Ireland.
It is already titled in my name and insurance was not a problem.
This is a very economical service, miles better than shipping and a fraction of the cost of renting.
I am flying over in June to start a multi week trip to Russia
If I decide to sell when I'm done, there is a good chance I'll get my money back, making it a zero cost rental :)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868979
yauhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
ewbutler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
+1 on dealing with Wheatwhacker.
He worked with me on purchasing a bike and the transactions been trouble free and a pleasure. I contacted him re:bike purchase in Ireland and all related legalities and his response was clear and concise. I located a bike using donedeal.ie and asked him to look it over. He checked out the bike, called me from the location, e-mailed photos and gave a comprehensive overview of the condition of the bike and his thoughts on the credibility of the seller. I decided to take the bike. Martin negotiated the purchase, I sent him the funds via Paypal, he sent me a copy of the docs transferring the bike to my name, picked up the bike and took it to his storage facility in County Cork. I'll be using it from mid-June through mid-August. Highly recommended.

Wade Butler
ewbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #13
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 752
My brother just did this (from Canada).

To ride on export plates.

You will need.

1. Cash
2. Credit card
3. Friend with German account
4. Passport
5. Drivers licence (original and international will help)

Steps to take.

1. Find bike and buy it.
2. Get insurance.
3. Take bike to local licencing office. (This is where the friend with the German bank account is needed to pay the road tax. around 20 Euros)
4. Get licence plate
5. Ride and export bike at the end of the process.

I think its difficult to sell the bike to a German at the end, but don't quote me on that as they are currently on step 5 as we speak.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #14
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Specifically: http://knopftours.com/Web-Site/Buy%20%26%20Sell.html

This assumes that you're a US citizen (not absolutely necessary, but it DOES make things go more smoothly).

FWIW, I'll have my bike on Stefan's for sale list after July

I want a more dirt road oriented bike.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
get a bike, save $$ on insurance

Get with Wheatwhacker to buy a bike, get it registered, andin many cases, he'll buy it from you when you're done with it.

Get with Doug at www.motosapiens.org for low cost Green Card liability insurance. For my '03 Honda Varadero XL1000 (bought with Wheatwhacker's help), it's only about 60 euros for a month vs. over 240 euros from S Knopff - for the same insurance, just a different price. There are only two Green Card underwriters/providers - everyone else is a broker/agent and some just mark it up more than others.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote