ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
jen2 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Running out of NY Inspection?

Someone might have a practical advise/experience.
If you are on a months long trip in the US, away your home state (in my case NYS) and your inspection will expire soon, is there a way to avoid getting ticketed (get arrested, shot on the spot, bike confiscated etc.)?
What if you just try to get an Oregon, Kansas or what ever state. inspection on the bike?
I know the obvious: get your inspection beforehand.
jen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Franktron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
You may be able to get an inspection in the state where you are, this way you won't get a ticket. however, you may still get a ticket when you get home for having an out of state sticker, which may be considered invalid.
Franktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,626
I really wouldn't sweat it. If you do get pulled for something else, an explanation to the arresting officer will probably take care of it. Otherwise it's just a fix-it ticket. Show you got it done before you have to go to court when you get home and it will get thrown out.

Otherwise, most DMV's do out-of-state inspections, but you'll probably need your title and I doubt you carry that with you.

I really wouldn't sweat it.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding was that as long as you're out of state, you don't need to worry about the currentness (or lack thereof) of your inspection sticker. Some states don't have inspections at all, others have different standards (e.g. Vermont does not require turn signals on motorcycles, Maine used to prohibit lowered suspensions of any sort on cars, etc).

As I understand it, you can get dinged for defective equipment in any state regardless of where your bike is registered, but you can only get dinged for an expired inspection sticker in the state of registration. The only problem I'd see is if the state ties the registration to the inspection and won't let you renew the registration without a new inspection. My experience with this was that operating an uninspected, Maine-registered car in Vermont wasn't a problem, but operating the same car in Vermont without a Vermont sticker resulted in a ticket ($71, if I recall correctly).
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
River6822
Fat kid on a 950 SE

Oddometer: 355
Inspection is only enforcable by the state it's issued in but really does this matter? It's $6 in NY, just get it done before you leave and consider the $1 or $2 you overpaid as a donation.

I'm a cheap bastard and sometimes when my inspection runs out I wait until the next month to get it done if I'm not riding often, but seriously - if you're worried about it, it's worth the few bucks for peace of mind.
1993 Harley Café Project
River6822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,039
Having residences in 2 different states I run into this pretty frequently with 2 cars, 1 van and 4 motorcycles. The only time it has been an issue is once on a military post. The guard stopped me when they notice the inspection stick was expired and called the MP's. They told me that I should just remove the expired sticker. They did say that they had not authority to write a ticket for the expired inspection though. I confirmed this with a VA state trooper. He said the only thing they can do is write a ticket for an item that was actually not functional,,, such as a light not working.

I have been stopped coming back into NY with an expired sticker and explained why,,, they let me go both times.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
jen2 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Thank you all!
It seems that I do not have to alter my itinerary because of this issue. There is a chance that I will be back before it expires anyway, but your answers gave me some peace of mind.
jen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,432
Bummer in NY. Looks like cops can issue no end of tickets (i.e., no grace period) when you cross back into New York, though judges will likely toss out repetitions.

At least in Pennsylvania, cops stopping a vehicle for lack of current state inspection sticker will issue a formal document to the driver returning to the state, requiring the driver to return the document after an inspection mechanic certifies that the vehicle was inspected within a set period (a couple days as I recall). If stopped again on the way home, I'd simply show the document.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
What river said, spend the $6 and get a full year before you go. Plenty of time to prepare other things for a motorcycle trip, no need to be worrying about a 2"x2" sticker!

KTM 200, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
What river said, spend the $6 and get a full year before you go.
What he said. It's not like a shop in one state (the one you're traveling in) can issue a sticker for another state (the one you're from). Even if a shop in the visiting state downloaded what the inspection procedure was in your home state, they are still not (home) state-authorized to issue the sticker, nor would they be registerd to report the results to the home state DMV (for all those states where the shop reports this).
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote